• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2020
    hello, its been about a week since this issue started, but from certain citra update (i update daily whenever theres update available) the games completely freezes my PC for like 10 mins when i try to load it, and then half of the time there are no game sounds when it finally loads. otherwise the game works fine as before, but the start is really bad... not sure exactly since what citra update it is but it hasnt been improved since. my other pokemon games load just fine. i have rebalanced prismatic moon, if it helps anything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    hello, its been about a week since this issue started, but from certain citra update (i update daily whenever theres update available) the games completely freezes my PC for like 10 mins when i try to load it, and then half of the time there are no game sounds when it finally loads. otherwise the game works fine as before, but the start is really bad... not sure exactly since what citra update it is but it hasnt been improved since. my other pokemon games load just fine. i have rebalanced prismatic moon, if it helps anything.

Hey, that's a problem with citra rather than the hack. The canary build gets more updates than the nightly build, but they're not tested as thoroughly. You might have better luck with the nightly build instead.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2020
    Im using Nightly. i have normal Sun and Moon game and it works fine on it so it seemed strange to me bc theyre similar. -
    also sorry if i didnt reply properly im a little confused here ;;

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2020
    Does anyone know how to get the other Aloan Starters that you don't pick?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Im using Nightly. i have normal Sun and Moon game and it works fine on it so it seemed strange to me bc theyre similar. -
    also sorry if i didnt reply properly im a little confused here ;;
    Hey, sorry for the slow reply. Have you tested unmodified Ultra Sun/Moon too? If the only thing that changed between the hack running fine and the hack freezing was citra, then the problem is most likely citra. Could also be a graphics driver update (AMD's recent driver updates have been awful, for example). You could try reverting to an earlier version of citra, though I don't know if those are available anywhere.

Does anyone know how to get the other Aloan Starters that you don't pick?
    The documents have a location for every Pokemon. Take a look at the "Wild Pokemon Locations" file.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    Good day! I really love your pokemon rom hacks. Actually, I'm now playing eternal x on citra emu using phone and it runs well. Almost done with the game and thinking to play prismatic moon afterwards. I downloaded the rom already.
    I'm just asking if there's an specific cheat code for citra emu to run the prismatic moon faster. In eternal x there's a built-in cheat code and it works. It can run 30-45 fps with 4x graphics and without the code it runs 27-30fps. In prismatic moon it runs about 13-20fps on 1x graphics.
    Thanks a lot and more power!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Good day! I really love your pokemon rom hacks. Actually, I'm now playing eternal x on citra emu using phone and it runs well. Almost done with the game and thinking to play prismatic moon afterwards. I downloaded the rom already.
    I'm just asking if there's an specific cheat code for citra emu to run the prismatic moon faster. In eternal x there's a built-in cheat code and it works. It can run 30-45 fps with 4x graphics and without the code it runs 27-30fps. In prismatic moon it runs about 13-20fps on 1x graphics.

Hey, happy to hear you're enjoying the hacks! Unfortunately I don't know anything about citra cheat codes (didn't even know the mobile version was usable now; that's pretty impressive). USUM is significantly slower than XY on the 3DS too, so maybe that's as good as the frame rate will get for now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022

I'm getting this issue aswell. Currently I'm using the 1.3 version which runs pretty good with the 60fps cheat. But whenever I try the standard 2.01 ver, it just run with normal fps even when I used the 60fps cheat code. Been searching for resolusion tho. I mean, the eternal X and rutile ruby 60 fps cheat work like charm, so I really want to try Photonic Sun aswell.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024

I'm getting this issue aswell. Currently I'm using the 1.3 version which runs pretty good with the 60fps cheat. But whenever I try the standard 2.01 ver, it just run with normal fps even when I used the 60fps cheat code. Been searching for resolusion tho. I mean, the eternal X and rutile ruby 60 fps cheat work like charm, so I really want to try Photonic Sun aswell.

Hey, I've done a quick bit of research/testing regarding this issue. The 60FPS code will only work if the game can reach a steady 30FPS without the cheat code, and even then only when there's not too much going on. USUM pushes the 3DS to its limits and regularly drops the frame rate to 15FPS and below (especially in double battles), so it won't always work.

I can't explain why 1.3 is working better than 2.01 though, I'm getting the same result in a clean game as I am with the latest version of the hack.

Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    I'm having problems accessing the pokemart. As in it freezes whenever I try to interact. I'm playing prismatic moon on Citra Nightly if that helps figure out what's wrong?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'm having problems accessing the pokemart. As in it freezes whenever I try to interact. I'm playing prismatic moon on Citra Nightly if that helps figure out what's wrong?
    Hey, do you have the hack's version of the title update installed? Not having it is usually what causes that.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2020
    Hey, I've almost got the photonic sun hack working on citra but I'm having 1 problem. Whenever I use hackingtoolkit9ds, the ExtractedExeFS and ExtractedRomFS folders don't show up. The interesting this is that they do show up when I extract the encrypted 1.2 update file, but as soon as I've decrypted it, (also tried various other decrypted versions from rom sites in case I did it wrong and got the same results) the folders don't show up after extracting. When I complete the process with the encrypted update it obviously doesn't work. I've also tried waiting to decrypt after I complete the steps to install the mods to the update but that flatout just crashes citra. I am complete lost and would appreciate any and all help.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hey, I've almost got the photonic sun hack working on citra but I'm having 1 problem. Whenever I use hackingtoolkit9ds, the ExtractedExeFS and ExtractedRomFS folders don't show up. The interesting this is that they do show up when I extract the encrypted 1.2 update file, but as soon as I've decrypted it, (also tried various other decrypted versions from rom sites in case I did it wrong and got the same results) the folders don't show up after extracting. When I complete the process with the encrypted update it obviously doesn't work. I've also tried waiting to decrypt after I complete the steps to install the mods to the update but that flatout just crashes citra. I am complete lost and would appreciate any and all help.
    Hey, which version of the hacking toolkit are you using? Some versions work for some people but not for others. If you're using version 9, give version 12 a try, or try v9 if you're using v12.

The toolkit's unreliability has caused plenty of headaches for citra users; I'd love to be rid of it but AFAIK it's the only easy option. I could make some files that'd allow the hack to be played without the update, but that'd leave a few nasty bugs from the vanilla games in there.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently using V12. I tried out V9 earlier but it did absolutely nothing for me. V12 was already causing other problems as well before (like missing dll files that I had to add myself and an old version of makerom) but idk if that could have been a contributor to the problem. I'll keep trying a couple other versions of hackingtoolkit just to see if they work though.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2020
    Quick update. I've tried versions 9-12 again and none of them worked. However, to my surprise, version 8 actually worked properly. I managed to get the hack working properly on citra now, thank you so much for the tip!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently using V12. I tried out V9 earlier but it did absolutely nothing for me. V12 was already causing other problems as well before (like missing dll files that I had to add myself and an old version of makerom) but idk if that could have been a contributor to the problem. I'll keep trying a couple other versions of hackingtoolkit just to see if they work though.
    I've just done a bit of research, and it turns out citra has layeredfs support, so there's actually no need to extract or rebuild any cias at all (and my entire citra guide is rubbish 😅).

I'll make a new citra install guide tomorrow; if you don't mind waiting a bit it should solve your problem. Sorry for the inconvenience!

EDIT:
    Quick update. I've tried versions 9-12 again and none of them worked. However, to my surprise, version 8 actually worked properly. I managed to get the hack working properly on citra now, thank you so much for the tip!
    Guess that works too! Hope you enjoy the hack!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I've just replaced the Citra install guide with a new one that makes use of Citra's layered FS feature, which will make installing the game on Citra just as easy as it is on a 3DS. Now all you have to do install the hack is get a clean copy of the game, install a clean copy of the title update, and copy the hack's files into Citra's mod folder. No more unreliable hacking toolkit or tedious extracting and rebuilding!

Wish I'd known about this sooner; sorry for all the suffering the old guide caused!

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2020
    I'm still having an issue when checking on marts, the game freezes. I used the rebalanced v2.1 from primatic moon. Kindly advise.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'm still having an issue when checking on marts, the game freezes. I used the rebalanced v2.1 from primatic moon. Kindly advise.

Hey, sorry if I've asked you this before: have you got the 1.2 title update for Ultra Moon installed? The marts will freeze without it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    I faced freezing on marts as well. I thought it was just on the first mart.
    What do you mean 1.2 title update? 😁

Edit: Found it. I guess it needed computer. Im just using cp now. No available PCs here atm. Sadly.
    Edit2: Just solved the prob. 😁

Last edited:
    Back