• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Heyo. Any particular reason Misdreavus doesn't learn any fairy type moves, whatsoever, until Moonblast at 50? Kinda makes its new fairy typing rather useless for most of the game, and honestly it's kinda annoying. I was hyped to have caught one in my run bc of the type change, but looking at its learnset, I'm immediately boxing it instead.. No stab (or special moves at all!) til 23, and only Astonish for STAB til then makes it a waste of a team slot til around the second island.

These might help?
    -Disarming Voice early on (late teens/early 20's?)
    -Draining Kiss in the mid 30's?
    -Moonblast an evo move? (We can't evolve until mid-late 40's anyways since Dusk Stones aren't til Konikoni, unless you randomly hid one earlier?)
    -A more out-there idea.. give it Pixilate as a secondary ability? You'd get Echoed Voice early on as a TM, Uproar from a beach tutor, and maybe you can give it Hyper Voice via levelup later on?

Also another thing I noticed, I think the documentation for the first totem battle might not be entirely accurate? It says the Rattata that Totem Raticate calls in has Stake Out, but given it missed Quick Attack multiple times and the fact that Alolan Rattata doesn't get Stakeout, I'm pretty sure it has Hustle?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I faced freezing on marts as well. I thought it was just on the first mart.
    What do you mean 1.2 title update? 😁

Edit: Found it. I guess it needed computer. Im just using cp now. No available PCs here atm. Sadly.
    Edit2: Just solved the prob. 😁
    Glad you got it working! I'll add some clarification to the guides and FAQ so people know what the title update is, it seems to cause quite a bit of confusion 😅.

Heyo. Any particular reason Misdreavus doesn't learn any fairy type moves, whatsoever, until Moonblast at 50? Kinda makes its new fairy typing rather useless for most of the game, and honestly it's kinda annoying. I was hyped to have caught one in my run bc of the type change, but looking at its learnset, I'm immediately boxing it instead.. No stab (or special moves at all!) til 23, and only Astonish for STAB til then makes it a waste of a team slot til around the second island.

These might help?
    -Disarming Voice early on (late teens/early 20's?)
    -Draining Kiss in the mid 30's?
    -Moonblast an evo move? (We can't evolve until mid-late 40's anyways since Dusk Stones aren't til Konikoni, unless you randomly hid one earlier?)
    -A more out-there idea.. give it Pixilate as a secondary ability? You'd get Echoed Voice early on as a TM, Uproar from a beach tutor, and maybe you can give it Hyper Voice via levelup later on?

Also another thing I noticed, I think the documentation for the first totem battle might not be entirely accurate? It says the Rattata that Totem Raticate calls in has Stake Out, but given it missed Quick Attack multiple times and the fact that Alolan Rattata doesn't get Stakeout, I'm pretty sure it has Hustle?
    Hey, the reason for that is I thought it already had Disarming Voice, but it looks like that change only made it into my Emerald hack somehow. I'll definitely fix that and add Ominous Wind and Draining Kiss too. Mismagius already has Mystical Fire as an evolution move, so that should be plenty of options with those moves added. Pixilate would be interesting; I'll definitely consider it!

I did actually hide a Dusk Stone earlier; you can get one by trading for the Barboach in the Royal Avenue Pokémon Center, so that'd be about level 30 - 35. Would've preferred to have one in an item ball somewhere, but I haven't figured how to use CTRMap (a 3DS map/script editor) yet.

Yeah, that Rattata definitely has Hustle; I probably just copy/pasted the Yungoos's info and forgot to change its ability afterwards.

Thanks again for your feedback Jk!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Glad you got it working! I'll add some clarification to the guides and FAQ so people know what the title update is, it seems to cause quite a bit of confusion 😅.

Hey, the reason for that is I thought it already had Disarming Voice, but it looks like that change only made it into my Emerald hack somehow. I'll definitely fix that and add Ominous Wind and Draining Kiss too. Mismagius already has Mystical Fire as an evolution move, so that should be plenty of options with those moves added. Pixilate would be interesting; I'll definitely consider it!

I did actually hide a Dusk Stone earlier; you can get one by trading for the Barboach in the Royal Avenue Pokémon Center, so that'd be about level 30 - 35. Would've preferred to have one in an item ball somewhere, but I haven't figured how to use CTRMap (a 3DS map/script editor) yet.

Yeah, that Rattata definitely has Hustle; I probably just copy/pasted the Yungoos's info and forgot to change its ability afterwards.

Thanks again for your feedback Jk!

No worries. Good to know about the Dusk Stone tbh, I'll have to grab that when I'm up there.

One other thing I noticed is that Comet Punch is unchanged, which is kinda lackluster for the few mons that learn it (Kangaskhan-17, Ledyba-17, Pancham-15, Hitmonchan-evo).
    The 85 accuracy particularly is kinda disappointing given how weak of a move it is. Being only 18bp per hit doesn't really warrant that low of accuracy, especially when things like Spike Cannon, Bullet Seed and Arm Thrust are better in both aspects. Have you considered buffing it at all? Bumping it to maybe 22bp or 25bp, and 100 acc like the rest could give Ledyba a fun move for Aerilate, a nice early stab for Kangaskhan, and an early Iron Fist move for Hitmonchan. Pancham gets Arm Thrust at 9, which is better in every way, so it's irrelevant on that almost entirely, unless you wanted to swap Comet Punch and Arm Thrust's learning levels (which probably wouldn't be a bad idea).

I also noticed Hitmonchan is completely locked out of Mach Punch for the entire game, due to it being a heartscale only move (which isn't accessible until literally right before the E4).
    I noticed in your XY romhacks, you gave it to Tyrogue relatively low level. Maybe bring that to this game too? Would give Tyrogue a useful STAB as well that doesn't rely on the Brick Break TM.
    Or maybe give it to Hitmonchan over Vacuum Wave at 26, or as an evolution move instead of Comet Punch?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    No worries. Good to know about the Dusk Stone tbh, I'll have to grab that when I'm up there.

One other thing I noticed is that Comet Punch is unchanged, which is kinda lackluster for the few mons that learn it (Kangaskhan-17, Ledyba-17, Pancham-15, Hitmonchan-evo).
    The 85 accuracy particularly is kinda disappointing given how weak of a move it is. Being only 18bp per hit doesn't really warrant that low of accuracy, especially when things like Spike Cannon, Bullet Seed and Arm Thrust are better in both aspects. Have you considered buffing it at all? Bumping it to maybe 22bp or 25bp, and 100 acc like the rest could give Ledyba a fun move for Aerilate, a nice early stab for Kangaskhan, and an early Iron Fist move for Hitmonchan. Pancham gets Arm Thrust at 9, which is better in every way, so it's irrelevant on that almost entirely, unless you wanted to swap Comet Punch and Arm Thrust's learning levels (which probably wouldn't be a bad idea).

I also noticed Hitmonchan is completely locked out of Mach Punch for the entire game, due to it being a heartscale only move (which isn't accessible until literally right before the E4).
    I noticed in your XY romhacks, you gave it to Tyrogue relatively low level. Maybe bring that to this game too? Would give Tyrogue a useful STAB as well that doesn't rely on the Brick Break TM.
    Or maybe give it to Hitmonchan over Vacuum Wave at 26, or as an evolution move instead of Comet Punch?

Yeah Comet Punch could definitely use a buff; I didn't realize so few mons learned it. I'll add Mach Punch to Tyrogue again too, so that all the hitmons have access to it. Good suggestions!

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Actually that reminds me, re:Heart Scale moves, would it be possible to move some of the relearn moves into actual accessible levels of a Pokemon's moveset? It's extremely inconvenient to have to wait until literally right before the Elite Four to relearn moves, especially in the case of stone evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Looks like Flabebe line is stuck with Fairy Wind until the late 40's fsr.
    Maybe give it Draining Kiss around 33, like in the XY hacks?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Actually that reminds me, re:Heart Scale moves, would it be possible to move some of the relearn moves into actual accessible levels of a Pokemon's moveset? It's extremely inconvenient to have to wait until literally right before the Elite Four to relearn moves, especially in the case of stone evolutions.
    Yeah I'll have to take another look at level up movesets some time soon I think, seems quite a few of them are really bad.

Looks like Flabebe line is stuck with Fairy Wind until the late 40's fsr.
    Maybe give it Draining Kiss around 33, like in the XY hacks?
    Might just make it an evo move for Floette. Ideally I'd make Draining Kiss a tutor move, but pk3DS can't edit the move tutors.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2020
    Can I merge the hack file into .3DS file like the old installation? I want to edit something using pk3DS to my liking but I don't know how.

I tried using the old hack I have that used the old installation method from a long time ago, it worked, so now I want to try with newer version. I tried to use the hack folder that contains romfs but it doesn't work.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Can I merge the hack file into .3DS file like the old installation? I want to edit something using pk3DS to my liking but I don't know how.

I tried using the old hack I have that used the old installation method from a long time ago, it worked, so now I want to try with newer version. I tried to use the hack folder that contains romfs but it doesn't work.
    Yeah, you can still do that. I've attached the old install guide to this post, so you can follow that to extract, modify and rebuild the game. If you need any more info let me know!

Attachments

• OLD Citra Install Guide.pdf
      524.1 KB · Views: 10
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2020
    Yeah, you can still do that. I've attached the old install guide to this post, so you can follow that to extract, modify and rebuild the game. If you need any more info let me know!

Thanks! You are my lifesaver! One more thing, let's says I edited things in Prismatic Moon version, and I want to use the same profile in Photonic Sun. Can I just copy the file mentioned in pk3DS (like "move a/0/1/1" file) in one version to the other, or do I have to do it again?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Thanks! You are my lifesaver! One more thing, let's says I edited things in Prismatic Moon version, and I want to use the same profile in Photonic Sun. Can I just copy the file mentioned in pk3DS (like "move a/0/1/1" file) in one version to the other, or do I have to do it again?

You're welcome! Yeah, that will work for most files. The only exceptions are the wild Pokemon garcs (they'll need to be renamed if you want to copy them from one version to the other, the files work fine with both versions), and anything exefs or .cro related, which will need to be be redone for the other version.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    So, I was going to ask about trainers with evs, but instead decided to do some digging with pk3ds. Apparently my assumption from a past experience nuzlocking it was correct.. regular trainers start pulling dedicated ev spreads, items and movesets around Route 12?

My reason for assuming that was because some punk scientist with a pory2 and pory-z did THIS to me last time I nuzlocked the game.. Absolutely soul-crushing. I learned my lesson this time around, at least, and properly ev trained my team before reaching this point. Just beat Totem Mimikyu with no casualties, using a sick plan involving Reflect Meganium and Psych Up Eviolite Magneton. Paid off beautifully. I've got a solid plan for Ultra Necrozma too, if I make it that far.. Banded Punishment Zoroark should do pretty nicely, I think.

Anyways, just wanted to share a little bit! Thanks for the awesome romhack. I love the difficulty curve of it, and appreciate that you're still updating and are active among players ;w; I heard you're working on an Emerald hack? Can't wait to check it out!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    So, I was going to ask about trainers with evs, but instead decided to do some digging with pk3ds. Apparently my assumption from a past experience nuzlocking it was correct.. regular trainers start pulling dedicated ev spreads, items and movesets around Route 12?

My reason for assuming that was because some punk scientist with a pory2 and pory-z did THIS to me last time I nuzlocked the game.. Absolutely soul-crushing. I learned my lesson this time around, at least, and properly ev trained my team before reaching this point. Just beat Totem Mimikyu with no casualties, using a sick plan involving Reflect Meganium and Psych Up Eviolite Magneton. Paid off beautifully. I've got a solid plan for Ultra Necrozma too, if I make it that far.. Banded Punishment Zoroark should do pretty nicely, I think.

Anyways, just wanted to share a little bit! Thanks for the awesome romhack. I love the difficulty curve of it, and appreciate that you're still updating and are active among players ;w; I heard you're working on an Emerald hack? Can't wait to check it out!
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Before that point regular trainers occasionally have EVs, but won't usually have full spreads (there's a Machamp somewhere with max attack and bad everything else, for example) unless they're an Ace Trainer. After that I just went a bit nuts with the sets and gave everyone proper EVs and items; in hindsight it's complete overkill, but at least it makes for a good challenge!

I've heard quite a few horror stories about that scientist; he's definitely too strong, but I'm not sure if I should nerf him at this point. Oh, Psych Up to copy the totem's stat boosts? I like that, sounds like a good way to deal with them!
    Punishment Zoroark will definitely handle Necrozma, as long as you can trick it into using Photon Geyser.

You're welcome! I'm glad you've gotten so much enjoyment out of my hacks, and it's always good to hear back from anyone who's playing them! Emerald's slowly coming along, it's playable up to Meteor Falls ATM. There's a lot more I can do with a GBA game though (mostly thanks to Dizzy Egg's battle engine upgrade), so there'll be plenty of little extras like these:
    Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon
    Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Still working on better level up sets for PSPM too, should have that up soonish!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    Nature changing in Littleroot? Awesome! Is there a way to change IVs before postgame too?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Nature changing in Littleroot? Awesome! Is there a way to change IVs before postgame too?
    The nature changer was only in Littleroot for testing (he'll be in the name rater's old house in Slateport in the actual game), but yeah there's also an NPC who can change each of your Pokemon's IVs to any value, and even has a few premade spreads for the better Hidden Power types to choose from. There's an EV trainer too, who can reset EVs or add certain amounts to a stat.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I looked through the documents and couldn't find a way to obtain Diancie.
    Diancie's a rare SOS call for Carbink found in the caves in Vast Poni Canyon. If you see a Carbink call a Sableye there, it can also call a Diancie. There's a note on it in the wild Pokemon locations document.

Where can I Download these rom hacks
    There's a download link in the first post of the thread, under the "download and installation" heading.

Back