• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2021
    hi, i been playing ultra sun for pass few days and wanna try photonic sun but when i load the roms it still the ultra sun rom i playing and i even can load back the save files from ultra sun ,anyone know how to fix that?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I got Pokemon Photonic Sun all set up (haven't played Ultra Sun before, using sibling's cart for it) with Citra and am still very early in the game. Used PKHeX to save edit for Mega Evolution before postgame and decided to change my Rowlet's nature while I was at it, but I noticed that he lost Tinted Lens in the process. Is there any way for me to fix this without starting over? He still has ability slot 2 (which should have Tinted Lens) but it says he has Overgrow and I'm reasonably certain that the hack is working since Kukui said the game was Photonic Sun when I booted it up and my Rowlet had Tinted Lens before I tried to save edit.

Also, any recommendations on Pokemon to use in this hack? I'm set on my Rowlet and a Mawile, since I haven't used Mega Mawile before and have really been wanting to.
    You need to use PkHaX, not PkHeX, when it comes to editing mons in romhacks that have different abilities. Change the file name to PkHaX and that should enable illegal mode (there'll be a little popup when you open it saying you've entered Illegal Mode and to behave), which'll let you change its ability back to Tinted Lens. Make sure to change the little number next to its ability to 2 as well (indicating ability slot 2) so it remains Tinted Lens on evolution.

I've found Klink in Hau'oli City with Motor Drive is fun. Ledyba with Aerilate on Route 1 is also really fun. Sneasel in Seaward Cave looks fun with Technician, but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. Chikorita from the Route 2 ambush encounters (near the pokemon center/trial site) is one of my favorites- it evolves into Grass/Fairy Meganium. Haven't had a chance to use Noivern yet, but Noibat is in Verdant Cavern and evolves via friendship at night, plus gets Nasty Plot later which seems fun to play with. Tough Claws SD psychic/water Golduck is fun, from Psyduck in Sandy Cave.
    Seconding Golduck! I'd also recommend Adaptability Whiscash, Vikavolt, Lopunny (even without its mega stone), Gigalith, Lycanroc Midday and Escavalier. Dodrio was pretty good on my test playthrough too, and that was before I gave it Moxie.

Hello, I'm preparing to nuzlocke this game after wiping to Korrina in Wilting Y and I have a question about mega stones. A lot of bosses in the documentation seem to use them and I saw you recommending hacking the mega ring into the game, but it seems like mega stones are only available during the postgame.
    Hey, you'll have to hack in the mega stones you want along with the ring. It's a little inconvenient in a Nuzlocke as you don't know which stones you'll need, but the only other option I had was making available as wild held items.
    Would it be possible to merge the versions somewhat? Basically just including the Sw/Sh movepool changes in the Standard version. If it's a hassle, I'm cool with doing it myself, just need a heads up on what tools/tutorials I'd need to give it a shot.
    It's possible but not something I'd want to to do. Doing it yourself is actually pretty straightforward; the movepool changes are all included in one file, so all you have to do is copy it from the rebalanced version to the same place in the legal version. So you'd copy the file named "3" in romfs/a/0/1 in the rebalanced version to romfs/a/0/1 in the standard version. That will also copy across the rebalanced movepool changes, but the only other options are adding all the Sw/Sh moves again manually (look up pk3DS if you want to do that) or removing the rebalanced changes by hand after copying the files over.
    hi, i been playing ultra sun for pass few days and wanna try photonic sun but when i load the roms it still the ultra sun rom i playing and i even can load back the save files from ultra sun ,anyone know how to fix that?
    Hi, the hack is basically a patch that gets applied over your base ROM while it's installed, so they use the same save file. You'll need to start a new game (maybe back up your old save first) to play the hack from the beginning.

Aqua Mosquito

Nuzlocke Beginner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2021
    Seconding Golduck! I'd also recommend Adaptability Whiscash, Vikavolt, Lopunny (even without its mega stone), Gigalith, Lycanroc Midday and Escavalier. Dodrio was pretty good on my test playthrough too, and that was before I gave it Moxie.

Hey, you'll have to hack in the mega stones you want along with the ring. It's a little inconvenient in a Nuzlocke as you don't know which stones you'll need, but the only other option I had was making available as wild held items.

It's possible but not something I'd want to to do. Doing it yourself is actually pretty straightforward; the movepool changes are all included in one file, so all you have to do is copy it from the rebalanced version to the same place in the legal version. So you'd copy the file named "3" in romfs/a/0/1 in the rebalanced version to romfs/a/0/1 in the standard version. That will also copy across the rebalanced movepool changes, but the only other options are adding all the Sw/Sh moves again manually (look up pk3DS if you want to do that) or removing the rebalanced changes by hand after copying the files over.

Hi, the hack is basically a patch that gets applied over your base ROM while it's installed, so they use the same save file. You'll need to start a new game (maybe back up your old save first) to play the hack from the beginning.

Cool, I'll add them in when I reach Guzma. This is a bit of a weird question, but did you undo the Darkrai nerf? It was probably the most pointless and backwards nerf of all time. It probably won't matter at all for my playthrough, I'm just curious.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Cool, I'll add them in when I reach Guzma. This is a bit of a weird question, but did you undo the Darkrai nerf? It was probably the most pointless and backwards nerf of all time. It probably won't matter at all for my playthrough, I'm just curious.
    Yup, Dark Void has 80% accuracy again. I still don't get why they nerfed it after making it Darkrai only, one of the two would've been enough.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Some more things I noticed:

-Excadrill doesn't learn Iron Head until the tutor on Ula'ula Island, after Togedemaru... Which is a pretty long way to go without even decent steel stab. Since you removed Smart Strike as a TM, its only other option until that point is Metal Claw, which is pretty weak. Would be nice if it got it by levelup, or maybe as an evo move (since it gets eq at 36, I don't think Iron Head on evo would be too bad tbh).
    Alternatively, from purely a balance standpoint, maybe swapping Drill Run (55) with Earthquake (36) could be an idea, since 36 seems really early for such a powerful move lmao (I know its the vanilla levels, but... its still very odd to me). If so, maybe Iron Head around the low 40's?

-The Litten in the rival battle on Route 3 doesn't actually have Intimidate, despite being documented as such. Might want to check the other starter options in that battle as well.

-A few of Charizard's moves seem to be exclusive to Heartscale, namely Dragon Claw (whose TM isn't til the Kommo-o Trial) and Weather Ball (which has no alternative learning methods). It'd be nice if these were available in its levelup set (maybe around the mid-40's or low 50's?) before then, since they'd be very fun to have for their respective mega's.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Some more things I noticed:

-Excadrill doesn't learn Iron Head until the tutor on Ula'ula Island, after Togedemaru... Which is a pretty long way to go without even decent steel stab. Since you removed Smart Strike as a TM, its only other option until that point is Metal Claw, which is pretty weak. Would be nice if it got it by levelup, or maybe as an evo move (since it gets eq at 36, I don't think Iron Head on evo would be too bad tbh).
    Alternatively, from purely a balance standpoint, maybe swapping Drill Run (55) with Earthquake (36) could be an idea, since 36 seems really early for such a powerful move lmao (I know its the vanilla levels, but... its still very odd to me). If so, maybe Iron Head around the low 40's?

-The Litten in the rival battle on Route 3 doesn't actually have Intimidate, despite being documented as such. Might want to check the other starter options in that battle as well.

-A few of Charizard's moves seem to be exclusive to Heartscale, namely Dragon Claw (whose TM isn't til the Kommo-o Trial) and Weather Ball (which has no alternative learning methods). It'd be nice if these were available in its levelup set (maybe around the mid-40's or low 50's?) before then, since they'd be very fun to have for their respective mega's.
    I think the Excadrill thing's been brought up before, I'll give it Smart Strike by level up in the next update. It's level up move pool is ridiculously good as it is, so I'd like it to need a tutor or TM for something. The Drill Run/Earthquake thing is pretty weird and was fixed in gen 8, might actually do that.

Not sure what happened with Litten but I'll take a look, thanks for reporting it!

Sure, I can do that for Charizard. I forgot how awful the TM distribution is in USUM, there's no reason for Dragon Claw and Poison Jab to be so late in the game.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Thanks for the tip, although I did fail two runs. That Grimer at the school is the biggest runkiller I've experienced yet.

Heh- just a tip... don't fight the janitor guy at Malie City's outskirts. You think that grimer is bad, this guy has an Alolan Muk with Minimize/Focus Punch/Poison Jab/Crunch, holding a black sludge, and I think he might be ev trained as well oop.

Absolutely destroyed me during my last Nuzlocke attempt, not goin anywhere near him next time ;w;

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    I think the Excadrill thing's been brought up before, I'll give it Smart Strike by level up in the next update. It's level up move pool is ridiculously good as it is, so I'd like it to need a tutor or TM for something. The Drill Run/Earthquake thing is pretty weird and was fixed in gen 8, might actually do that.

Not sure what happened with Litten but I'll take a look, thanks for reporting it!

Sure, I can do that for Charizard. I forgot how awful the TM distribution is in USUM, there's no reason for Dragon Claw and Poison Jab to be so late in the game.

Smart Strike'd work honestly, anything's better than Metal Claw at that poin haha. And yeah the TM distribution is... weird, tbh--

One last thing I noticed is that, the AI acts a bit weird with Return on Tauros in the Malie City Hau fight. In fact, I've NEVER seen it use it.. It always spams Zen Headbutt, even when Return would do much more. This is an educated guess, but I'm almost certain that since the move isn't a set base power, the game doesn't read it as being stronger than those with one- therefore, it'll always use its other moves over Return, as the AI reads them as hitting harder.

Maybe change Return to something like Double-Edge or Body Slam? Body Slam is weaker but spammable and has para chance, Double-Edge will hit harder but also wears it down with recoil. Retaliate is also an option that'd hit very hard the turn it's sent in, but weaker the rest. Just some ideas.

Aqua Mosquito

Nuzlocke Beginner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2021
    Heh- just a tip... don't fight the janitor guy at Malie City's outskirts. You think that grimer is bad, this guy has an Alolan Muk with Minimize/Focus Punch/Poison Jab/Crunch, holding a black sludge, and I think he might be ev trained as well oop.

Absolutely destroyed me during my last Nuzlocke attempt, not goin anywhere near him next time ;w;

The problem is, the only encounter that early in the game that even stands a chance against Muk is Magnemite. I'm sure I'll have something for Muk later, but at this point in the game, Grimer is way too tanky and hits way too hard.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024

Guess I was feeling a bit rude when editing that thing, it's definitely EV trained:
    Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

It'd make a good frontier set at least!
    Smart Strike'd work honestly, anything's better than Metal Claw at that poin haha. And yeah the TM distribution is... weird, tbh--

One last thing I noticed is that, the AI acts a bit weird with Return on Tauros in the Malie City Hau fight. In fact, I've NEVER seen it use it.. It always spams Zen Headbutt, even when Return would do much more. This is an educated guess, but I'm almost certain that since the move isn't a set base power, the game doesn't read it as being stronger than those with one- therefore, it'll always use its other moves over Return, as the AI reads them as hitting harder.

Maybe change Return to something like Double-Edge or Body Slam? Body Slam is weaker but spammable and has para chance, Double-Edge will hit harder but also wears it down with recoil. Retaliate is also an option that'd hit very hard the turn it's sent in, but weaker the rest. Just some ideas.
    Yep you're spot on, it's a bug with the AI that's been around for ages. I was hoping GF had fixed it by now, but I guess not. They had it sorted for frontier trainers in Emerald but it seems they never added it to the regular AI. I'll swap Return out for something else, will probably need to do that for a few other trainers too.
    The problem is, the only encounter that early in the game that even stands a chance against Muk is Magnemite. I'm sure I'll have something for Muk later, but at this point in the game, Grimer is way too tanky and hits way too hard.
    That Grimer's there in vanilla too, though it's slightly stronger in the hack. Most of the early physical attackers can handle it with some help from your starter, and Shellos can also handle it by itself. Your own Grimer is a good way to beat it too, but of course that's not much help in a nuzlocke.

Aqua Mosquito

Nuzlocke Beginner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2021
    Guess I was feeling a bit rude when editing that thing, it's definitely EV trained:
    Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

It'd make a good frontier set at least!

Yep you're spot on, it's a bug with the AI that's been around for ages. I was hoping GF had fixed it by now, but I guess not. They had it sorted for frontier trainers in Emerald but it seems they never added it to the regular AI. I'll swap Return out for something else, will probably need to do that for a few other trainers too.

That Grimer's there in vanilla too, though it's slightly stronger in the hack. Most of the early physical attackers can handle it with some help from your starter, and Shellos can also handle it by itself. Your own Grimer is a good way to beat it too, but of course that's not much help in a nuzlocke.

I might be overhyping it a little, maybe I'll be better prepared for my next run. How do I update the game in Citra? Also, would winnings from Mantine surf be enough to buy competitive items easily?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hi! I love this hack to death and played it multiple times. This time I want to use Bisharp, but I just noticed that it doesn't learn sucker punch through tm according to the documentation. Why doesn't Bisharp learn sucker punch through tm?
    Hey! Thanks, happy to hear that! Bisharp does learn Sucker Punch via TM, the Pokemon changes doc just doesn't make that as clear as it should. It only lists Pokemon that couldn't normally learn the move at all; any Pokemon that can learn it through any means in the official games are also compatible with the TM.
    I might be overhyping it a little, maybe I'll be better prepared for my next run. How do I update the game in Citra? Also, would winnings from Mantine surf be enough to buy competitive items easily?
    Good luck! Installing the update is covered in the install guide, which is included with the hack's files and is also in the hack's google drive. Yep, Mantine surf gives you plenty of BP; it's even faster than cheesing the battle tree if you get good scores.

Aqua Mosquito

Nuzlocke Beginner
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2021
    Hey! Thanks, happy to hear that! Bisharp does learn Sucker Punch via TM, the Pokemon changes doc just doesn't make that as clear as it should. It only lists Pokemon that couldn't normally learn the move at all; any Pokemon that can learn it through any means in the official games are also compatible with the TM.

Good luck! Installing the update is covered in the install guide, which is included with the hack's files and is also in the hack's google drive. Yep, Mantine surf gives you plenty of BP; it's even faster than cheesing the battle tree if you get good scores.

Thanks, I'll check it out for my next run, I just failed a Sacred Gold nuzlocke. Honestly, I think if I pick Popplio I'll have better luck. For some reason, I keep getting their normal abilities.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2023
    Heyo, I'm back after a while since I've been endlessly replaying the rom hack, making all sorts of wacky teams (if only the start of the game wasn't so slow so that I could get to the action faster), and there's one Pokemon that I feel could use a buncha love in either this or in your Emerald hack: Unown.

- Rework Unown to either have a more expanded upon gimmick by giving it all "___ Power" moves, or change it to simply having a regular Pokemon's moveset, as well as having it available before post-game.
    Unown's always been kind of a joke in the games, even if most other forms of media say otherwise, and this rom hack doesn't really do anything to make it better, instead just slapping it into the Zygarde cave in the post-game. And I feel like the letter Pokemon could use a tiny bit of love, and so I had two ways of reworking it.

First off is giving Unown access to all "power" moves, such as Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Earth Power and others, like what Drayano's hacks do to the Pokemon. It could maybe give some small niche to it, and make people consider actually using it. But if you don't wanna just take something from a different rom hacker, then there's my second idea.

The second idea is simply scrapping the previous Hidden Power gimmick, and giving Unown a moveset closer to most other Pokemon, as I feel the letter gimmick of Unown is already good enough at making it unique. Maybe with some potential stat buffs, Unown could potentially work as a mixed attacking Psychic glass cannon. Though if Unown needs to have something special in terms of moveset, I'd personally say give it access to Judgement at high levels, since Unown is pretty closely associated with Arceus, and it would show a bit of that threatening power that most other media show the Pokemon to have.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Heyo, I'm back after a while since I've been endlessly replaying the rom hack, making all sorts of wacky teams (if only the start of the game wasn't so slow so that I could get to the action faster), and there's one Pokemon that I feel could use a buncha love in either this or in your Emerald hack: Unown.

- Rework Unown to either have a more expanded upon gimmick by giving it all "___ Power" moves, or change it to simply having a regular Pokemon's moveset, as well as having it available before post-game.
    Unown's always been kind of a joke in the games, even if most other forms of media say otherwise, and this rom hack doesn't really do anything to make it better, instead just slapping it into the Zygarde cave in the post-game. And I feel like the letter Pokemon could use a tiny bit of love, and so I had two ways of reworking it.

First off is giving Unown access to all "power" moves, such as Cosmic Power, Stored Power, Earth Power and others, like what Drayano's hacks do to the Pokemon. It could maybe give some small niche to it, and make people consider actually using it. But if you don't wanna just take something from a different rom hacker, then there's my second idea.

The second idea is simply scrapping the previous Hidden Power gimmick, and giving Unown a moveset closer to most other Pokemon, as I feel the letter gimmick of Unown is already good enough at making it unique. Maybe with some potential stat buffs, Unown could potentially work as a mixed attacking Psychic glass cannon. Though if Unown needs to have something special in terms of moveset, I'd personally say give it access to Judgement at high levels, since Unown is pretty closely associated with Arceus, and it would show a bit of that threatening power that most other media show the Pokemon to have.

Hey! Yeah, really wish I could fix the intro, it always stops me from replaying the hack at all.

Giving Unown all the power moves is probably what I'd do to improve it in this hack (along with a massive stat buff, and maybe the Judgment addition too); I'll give it a whole new gimmick in Emerald. The main issue with it is finding enough space in a map for all 28 forms; I don't think there's a way to have the forms appear randomly as a single encounter, so it needs at least 28 encounter slots. It's a good excuse to give it a ridiculous buff and leave it as a post game only mon though!

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2023
    Found an error in the docs. In the third Gladion fight (Aether House), it says his lead Crobat has Hurricane, when it actually has Brave Bird. I don't know if the other moves listed are correct.

Also giving Pidgey access to Echoed Voice via TM might be nice for early normal stab to go with its new special attack buff? It also just makes sense since the line gained access to Hyper Voice.

Last edited:
    Back