• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    "Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice, and lightning…"

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    "Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice, and lightning…"

I love this! :D Do you think that there could be tremors or maybe a lightning flash (for the lightning temple) as you progress through to the end? I really liked the atmosphere built on the lead-up to Groudon in Ruby.

Also, you should find some Aroma Lady and Swimmer dialogue for Shamouti Island in the Google doc. Do you still need Tamers too?

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Rangi, I love your hack. Would you ever allow someone to make a hack of it? I ask as I would be interested in playing a version of it with more later gen pokemon and a higher difficulty level.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, I love your hack. Would you ever allow someone to make a hack of it? I ask as I would be interested in playing a version of it with more later gen pokemon and a higher difficulty level.

Go ahead! It's open source. Just don't remove the credits, and make it clear that you're editing Polished Crystal, not pokecrystal.

You could start from the 2.2.0 code; or wait until 3.0 is out and start with that, making sure to merge the inevitable bugfix updates afterwards.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Thank you. Keeping the credits in and stating that the hack is based off of your hack is the least I could do.

Years
    ?Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice, and lightning??

"...lest these three Titans wreck destruction upon the world in which they clash."

Have you also designed (or plan to) the Orbs of Fire, Lightning and Ice to be held as key items so you can put them at the pedestals in the shrine?

This particular saga involves a lot in its theme the various natural phenomena. For example, the Lightning Island could use some lightning strikes and flashes, the Fire Island could have haze coming from the lava and the active volcano, etc. Even when all three birds of legend break loose, different random phenomena could make their appearence. Nature would be upset. Also, tidal flows could be used to make your way more difficult. As i have already stated, you have the freedom to include various meteorogical phenomena and you are quite talented when it comes to creativity. Those two combined, you are probably going to surprise us again. I am sure you have thought of these already and plan on making that arc a great experience.

I can't wait to experience everything you keep in store for us. I really appreciate your work, thought and time you have put. My status from now on regarding Polished Crystal will change from "Hyped" to "I can't f@cking wait - I want to play now - Hyped".

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I love this! :D Do you think that there could be tremors or maybe a lightning flash (for the lightning temple) as you progress through to the end? I really liked the atmosphere built on the lead-up to Groudon in Ruby.

Also, you should find some Aroma Lady and Swimmer dialogue for Shamouti Island in the Google doc. Do you still need Tamers too?

Thank you for the additional dialog! I have just about everything I need by now. If you want, check out the maps/Shamouti*.asm and maps/(Beautiful|Warm|Rocky)Beach.asm files; there are still some TODO lines.

"...lest these three Titans wreck destruction upon the world in which they clash."

Have you also designed (or plan to) the Orbs of Fire, Lightning and Ice to be held as key items so you can put them at the pedestals in the shrine?

This particular saga involves a lot in its theme the various natural phenomena. For example, the Lightning Island could use some lightning strikes and flashes, the Fire Island could have haze coming from the lava and the active volcano, etc. Even when all three birds of legend break loose, different random phenomena could make their appearence. Nature would be upset. Also, tidal flows could be used to make your way more difficult. As i have already stated, you have the freedom to include various meteorogical phenomena and you are quite talented when it comes to creativity. Those two combined, you are probably going to surprise us again. I am sure you have thought of these already and plan on making that arc a great experience.

I can't wait to experience everything you keep in store for us. I really appreciate your work, thought and time you have put. My status from now on regarding Polished Crystal will change from "Hyped" to "I can't f@cking wait - I want to play now - Hyped".

The legendary birds are already available in the same locations as 2.2.0, so no, there are no elemental Orbs. (I believe that Pok?mon Christmas 3.0 will have them?it's in the same continuity as Polished Crystal, and I borrowed the Shamouti Island layout from there.) Instead, the islands have another purpose here.

I'll see what I can do about overworld effects like lightning and fog. Long-term, I'd really like to have proper overworld rain, but it won't be in 3.0.

(Are there any Gen 3 hacks that extend the partial+unused snow weather effect?)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
    (Are there any Gen 3 hacks that extend the partial+unused snow weather effect?)

Yes, I do remember someone actually fixing that weather effect so that it didn't just spawn 3 particles and stop. Let me check around and see...

Yup. It was daniilS on Firered. Here's the link.

I'm interested about how you're thinking about tackling weather, actually. Would spawning particles mess with how many OWs you can have on screen? I could see palette changes that cycle to mimic bright sunlight, but I have trouble wrapping my head around any other sort of weather implementation with the GBC's limitations.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks to MeroMero, Smeargle's color variation code works differently than the rest. Its body color varies normally, but its paint color is chosen from 16 options the same way as its Hidden Power type. (In fact, the colors are chosen to match with its Hidden Power!)

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Whoooooa, that's super cool! *w* That's such a neat idea. And another PC box dedicated to getting every "kind" of Smeargle. :P

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2017
    I have helix fossil and dome fossil,but I don't use them. Please tell me how to the use helix fossil and dome fossil.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    This thing with the tail colours is so cool :) it really reminds me of the anime. Are the skin tones directly tied to the tail colours? Or is it still possible to have any combination of the two?

Also, while we're mentioning Hidden Power, is the Fairy type possible as a HP type in this game?

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    This thing with the tail colours is so cool :) it really reminds me of the anime. Are the skin tones directly tied to the tail colours? Or is it still possible to have any combination of the two?

Also, while we're mentioning Hidden Power, is the Fairy type possible as a HP type in this game?

I don't think that Rangi will make Hidden Power Fairy, because there isn't a Hidden Power Fairy in the normal games.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I don't think that Rangi will make Hidden Power Fairy, because there isn't a Hidden Power Fairy in the normal games.

That's what I figured, but given that varying Pokemon colours aren't in the main games either I figured it was worth the ask :P It kinda has me wondering about whether certain trainer classes would be alterable to occasionally have different coloured shirts, for example.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    It does look a little cramped around the apostrophes, but it's fine. It's just different to what we're used to, which is why it seems slightly off.

Back