• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    any plans to speed up the bike? it's slower than running right now lol

I don't know why a few people have said this. They literally use the same code to determine speed. They're the same. I think it's some kind of optical illusion, or just expectations messing with you.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    I don't know why a few people have said this. They literally use the same code to determine speed. They're the same. I think it's some kind of optical illusion, or just expectations messing with you.

it's probably an optical illusion, you look like you're clearing tiles faster in one step rather than a few frames of the bikes animation

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Shouldn't leftovers heal after the battle ending turn as well?

For example, in Emerald, if a Dragonite KOs a pokemon with 250/256HP and ends the battle, they should heal up to full health after opposing pkm faints. This is beneficial if there isn't a place/it's not convenient to heal in-between battles, especially with an ability such as multiscale.

Thoughts?

I believe Shell Bell is the same as well. If you KO a pkm that ends the battle you still get the HP

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I don't think that's how it works in vanilla in any generation actually... However, there are some differences regarding endturn and faintings from later generations (because fixing this would need a major refactor of battle turn handling)

Years
  • I don't know why a few people have said this. They literally use the same code to determine speed. They're the same. I think it's some kind of optical illusion, or just expectations messing with you.
    Hmm... Is it possible to make running shoes a bit slower like this?
    Walking speed = 1
    Running speed = 1,5
    Bike speed = 2

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I'd figure 1/2/4 would be the best. Running is twice as fast as walking, and biking is twice as fast as running.

BronzeSwagger

Sugar&Spice
    Years
  • I admit, the optical illusion does make the running look faster than the bike. But since they both have the same speed, there is in fact no difference whatsoever. We've just made it our own placebo.
    However the running/bike thing feels fine to me tbh, I don't see a need for change.
    I don't have issues with it at all, It actually just saves me from registering my Bike with Select and use it for the fishing rods instead.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Prism uses 4 for reference, if you want a comparision. I feel like it might be a bit on the fast side so I figured 3 would be fine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2022
    I don't know whether to always use the bike, or to always use the running shoes. I feel like they have the same speed...
    I second FIQ and JasonPK.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    This hack is now in its own league, just like prism. I don't want to compare the two but I will be extensively playing your hack :) so happy that there's someone who wants to do this game justice.

Years
  • The only reason I said to decrease running shoes speed is cause I thought that making the bike faster could cause bugs, but looks like it doesn't (at least in Prism)... so yeah, 1/2/3 is the best ratio IMO.

Anyway I've been playing a bit more and found more bugs:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It doesn't matter to me whether the Bicycle speed is increased or not due to Running Shoes being the same speed, though I agree that it probably should be increased.

----------

And now for a bunch of other stuff. First, my comments on the E4 run for the 3.0 beta. There would be an image, but it doesn't seem to be working like it should. So I'll say for now that my team's levels were 52-54 at the end of the run.

Movesets:

Magneton @ Eviolite
    Ability: Levitate
    Modest nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flash Cannon
    - Agility
    - Thunder Wave

Gengar @ Amulet Coin
    Timid nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Pain Split
    - Disable

Charizard @ nothing
    Timid nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Fly
    - Dig (Should have replaced with Earthquake)

- Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Ability: Regenerator
    Bold nature
    - Surf
    - Psychic
    - Ice Beam
    - Calm Mind

Meganium @ nothing
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Modest nature
    - Petal Dance
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen

Rhydon @ Eviolite
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Adamant nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Double-Edge

- No, the team was not intentionally built as a middle finger to Ground moves. Nonetheless, it caused me some problems since I had too many physical tanks and only Meganium to absorb special hits. I almost switched back to Typhlosion from Charizard (starter was Cyndaquil; Charizard and Meganium came from breeding starters acquired off Wonder Trade spam) before the run to fill the Fire role + Electric immunity, but decided not to spend the time to get its level caught up to the rest of the team. I also considered training Suicune as the bulky Water after the seventh badge, to make a certain battle in Kanto where Suicune is required easier, but I like Slowbro more, so...

- After getting wiped out by Karen the first attempt, I threw out the Golem that was on the team since the very beginning of the game to hunt for a decent Rhyhorn. What I probably should have done was look for something to absorb special attacks that isn't weak to Lance's Wide Lens Dragonite, but oh well. Rhydon ended up being dead weight.

- Is it possible to obtain the Light Clay before the first E4 run? If so, giving it to Meganium would have helped a bit.

- Without access to Light Clay, Meganium was dead weight for most of the E4. Its Special Attack isn't high enough to score OHKOs with Petal Dance on SE hits even with its Modest nature unless the Grass-weak 'mon is 4x weak (which says a lot about its lack of power), and Dazzling Gleam was also always a 2HKO on an SE hit. Screens were the only thing helping it take hits against the 'mons it was supposed to kill.

- Magneton was the MVP of the Lance battle. Modified Version giving it Levitate means 4 out of Lance's 6 Pokémon can't really do much to it while it's holding the Eviolite. His Aerodactyl even got an Ancientpower boost in the fight and still couldn't 4HKO the floating magnet. Once his Charizard and Wide Lens Dragonite (screw that thing) were out of the way, it was easy. The problem with my lineup was managing to score the crucial KO on that damn Wide Lens Dragonite. (Worth noting: Gengar wasn't used in that battle)

----------

Road to Un-Elite Four commentary:

- Wonder Trade in the Goldenrod Pokécom Center makes the game significantly easier by greatly expanding team diversity, especially if you keep spamming it until you get a Lucky Egg. All those Sitrus/Leppa Berries you likely picked up while farming for said Lucky Egg will be useful as well, along with the other rare items such as Leftovers.

- Of course, it's not like you need to spam Wonder Trade for item farming in the first act since the sheer number of added trainers ensures that unless you're rotating Pokémon in and out of the team like crazy (which is something I tend to do) or skip over all of the optional added areas, you're going to be overleveled for most of Johto.

- The Gen 7 nerf to Hyper Potions applied to this hack forced me to buy Max Potions for the E4 run for the first time ever in a ROM hack and made me stick to MooMoo Milk and the many, many Sitrus Berries picked off Wonder Trade for healing prior to that. Hyper Potions are effectively worthless if bought from the shops, since MooMoo Milk costs only a third of the price and only heals 20 HP less.

- With all the additions to this hack from vanilla Crystal (Pearls/Big Pearls/Pearl Strings obtainable from fishing, sell items from Rock Smash, infinite rematches against Breeders, etc.), I found myself quickly having the opposite problem the original games had in regards to money. If I ever ran out of money, all I had to do was find a body of water. Rock Smash proved to be the least efficient optional method of padding the wallet/purse. It also leads me to ask: do you need the Brick Pieces for anything, or are they just a really bad sell item?

- When the Goldenrod Department Store had its first rooftop sale, I noticed that the Full Heals that were being sold there were actually more expensive than if I bought them elsewhere.

- With all the items that were added to this hack, I found my PC filling up with important items very, very quickly. Having only 30 slots in the PC forced me to either sell some of the battle items that were given throughout the main game (that can be bought from regular shops later) such as the Air Balloon and Charcoal, or actually attach them to Pokémon in the PC.

- For the Johto Gyms, I recommend removing two Pokémon from both Whitney and Chuck's teams, or at least Whitney's team. For Whitney, either both of the Jigglypuffs, or one Jigglypuff and the Teddiursa, should go. If Teddiursa goes, then the remaining Jigglypuff could stand to be evolved into Wigglytuff so it isn't "dead weight" on her team. For Chuck, I'm torn on which two besides Primeape and Poliwrath should be axed (leaning towards keeping Hitmontop). As for Morty, it would be fine IMO if you decided to give him a fifth Pokémon since he has four in vanilla Crystal. (In general, Gym leader teams should have one more Pokémon for the first fight against them than they had in vanilla Crystal if they didn't already have a full team.)

- Gyarados knowing how to Fly (as a substitute for Bounce) is still hilarious, both for in-game and in a potential competitive metagame. I didn't use it on my team for this test run, but the Shiny Gyarados with Waterfall / Fly / Earthquake / Dragon Dance was a mainstay of my 2.2 team.

----------

Commentary on Kanto half and competitive stuff:

- Mismagius is arguably the best 'mon to have on the team in the Kanto half of the game, its Ghost/Fairy dual-typing in Modified giving it four immunities (accounting for Levitate) while only being weak to other Ghosts and Steel-types, and take your pick of Calm Mind or Nasty Plot for sweeping everything. Additionally, with a +Speed nature and max EVs it was capable of outrunning Leaf's Mew at around Level 80 in the 2.2 version. Idk if this holds true for 3.0 yet since I stopped playing the most recent linked patch when my Amulet Coin mysteriously disappeared. Competitively, I expect Mismagius to be top tier OU in the Modified Version should the idea of building a metagame around it take off.

- Many of the same problems that Red Double Plus has with Lovely Kiss distribution in its 2.4.1 update are present here with the Accuracy increase to Sing in Modified to make up for Lovely Kiss being removed from the game, elevating a lot of Pokémon to levels they probably shouldn't be at.

- Why does Mew have Sketch?

- I don't like that the levels for the wild Pokémon in Kanto were increased. For some areas (Cerulean Cave, Shamouti Island, and maybe the Safari Zone), it makes sense for them to be stronger than anywhere in Johto. Everywhere else, they should have stayed low-leveled like in vanilla GSC. Prism had the right idea here. There's more than enough extra trainers present (along with E4 rematches if one is so inclined) that the wild levels don't need to be increased.

- I also don't like that Charizard was given Levitate as a secondary ability due to its typing change from Fire/Flying to Fire/Dragon for the 3.0 Modified. I feel that instead of this, you should have considered giving it Drought as its secondary (since Drought already exists and is one of its Mega Evolution abilities) and wouldn't require programming Tough Claws and Mega Launcher into the hack as exclusive Modified Version only abilities for the Kanto starters.

- A question that is asked with the competitive side of gameplay in mind: It isn't hard to notice that quite a few 'mons suffer a bit from Knock Off not existing in this hack, Alolan Muk being probably the biggest loser since its best Dark STAB is Pursuit. If Knock Off is programmed into the hack for a 4.0 version, would it be possible to add an effect to the move where if it's used in a wild battle and knocks off the wild Pokémon's held item, you would obtain that item when the battle ends? I ask this because if it's possible, then Thief seems like the most likely move candidate to replace for Knock Off.

----------

Beta Testing:

- I know this was brought up before, but Electric Pokémon are apparently immune to the Burn status while Fire Pokémon aren't. Every time my Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion was hit with a contact move by an enemy Electric-type and Flame Body was triggered, it failed to burn the enemy Pokémon. Conversely, when my own Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion used a contact move against a foe that had the Flame Body ability, it would get burned.

- Every time one of my Pokémon was hit with Double Kick, Doubleslap or another multi-hit move, the message that was supposed to show how many times the move hit didn't show. Was this intentional, or a bug?

- In the 2.2 version of Polished Crystal, the girl in Goldenrod Harbor who was selling rare items actually did so, having Ethers, Elixirs, Rare Candies, and two hold items (Bright Powder and Scope Lens) available. In the 3.0 version, her "rare" items are Potions, Antidotes, Paralyze Heals, and Awakenings. I cannot believe this change was intentional.

- What is the Item hold rate on most of the Pokémon that are holding items? When I was catching 'mons on Route 34 to use as Wonder Trade fodder, I noticed that when I encountered a Rattata while my lead 'mon held a Lucky Egg, the Rattata always held a Destiny Knot when it was caught. When the encounter was an Abra, it would sometimes copy the Lucky Egg after capture. Also, the Suicune was holding an Exp. Share when I caught it. Were any of these intentional? Or are the wild encounter interactions with Lucky Egg a bug/glitch?

- It was worth noting that the E4 did not fall victim to the PP bug that was present for the early-game trainers in the linked patch I was using. (Is impatiently waiting for the next linked patch since I cannot compile it myself; I have no Internet access at home on my main computer and my laptop is a Chromebook)

- Going back to the above section when I mentioned that my Amulet Coin vanished shortly after the first E4 run: No, I do not know it vanished, and no, I did not accidentally toss it away. There were three times when I should have lost the Amulet Coin to an enemy trainer using Thief, but after each instance it was still there after the battle ended. Unless it was intentional to apply the Gen 5 in-game Thief mechanics where you can't keep any held items stolen from trainer-owned Pokémon, and the Thief "bug" is this updated mechanic also applying to wild battles? (Idk if this is the case since it isn't mentioned in the Readme and it still worked like it does in Gen 2-4 in the 2.2 version)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    @Across:

#2 is intentional, that's due to Fire/Dragon typing.
    #4 has been fixed, thanks. Going to look into #5 too.
    EDIT: #5 also fixed now.

@Silent S: Interesting read!
    * Fixed the Burn issue -- was doing paralyzation checks rather than burn checks for it.
    * Out of curiousity, what do you think of Lance's team setup (#1 and #2), considering you apparently read them (since you knew he had Wide Lens)? I and Rangi tweaked them a bit for 3.0.
    * Double hit/etc doesn't report how many times it hit if the pokémon fainted. This is a vanilla Crystal issue that I haven't addressed yet. Are you saying that even if the mon doesn't faint, it doesn't say it? Because that would be a new bug in that case
    * I personally considered giving Charizard Drought (probably replacing Levitate/Blaze #2 with Solar Power and making Drought its HA), but wasn't sure considering weather abilities are quite significant. Also, this would mean that Charizard would be weak to Ground Types, do you think this would be OK? (I guess it could run SolarBeam to deal with that...)

Regarding held items:
    I created some logic to handle them better. Namely:
    * Thief can't steal your held items permanently
    * Using up battle items (Air Balloon, Focus Sash, etc) doesn't consume them permanently. Berries are still consumed
    * Pickpocket/Thief still works as usual vs wild Pokémon
    * You can't steal trainer items

I think this might be behind your Amulet Coin issue (do you know the circumstances where it was lost?) and the captured mons having weird items (it might have its held item overwritten with weird data).

Last edited:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • I reacently play the beta, and these are the bugs that I noticed:
    1.- During battles in Bellprout Tower...When several Bellprouts try to use "vine whip" a message diplays mentioning that he doesn't have PP's...Same case with the Pkm Breader placed down bellow the Daycare, her Ditto can't use "Transform".
    2.- Inside the Daycare house (the one near Goldenrod city), when you press "A" in front of the Fridge shows the dialog "It's full of books" or something like that...

If I find something more I'll report it :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    where was the flying pikachu moved to? i know that you were given it in cianwood by a certain person

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Selfdestruct gets stuck on the inverted colors post pkm faint. Might want to check explosion. Dynamicpunch is good

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ FIQ:

In regards to Lance, the only reason I knew he had Wide Lens Dragonite was because I read about the game-breaking bug involving its held item that was reported several days ago. I'm hesitant to comment on the difficulty of his team setup, since I felt I had made obvious mistakes both in my team building and in the battle itself. I also have not faced his rematch team in the patch I'm currently using.

In regards to the multi-hit issue, it would have to be a new bug because I never had any Pokémon knocked out by such a move during the run.

In regards to Charizard, I would say that whether Levitate is replaced with Drought should come down to majority vote if you can't make a decision on your own. I personally dislike Fire/Dragon Charizard having Levitate when its Mega X form doesn't, and recognize the significance of Drought as a replacement, but what I would prefer can't happen since none of the other mons in the hack get Tough Claws as a canon ability without Mega Evolving.

In regards to the Amulet Coin vanishing, unfortunately I cannot remember what exactly might have happened, though I have a save state close enough to when it happened that I might be able to replicate the bug. All I recall was taking it off of my Gengar as I planned to replace it with Mismagius for the Kanto half of the game, and was busy breeding other team replacements with Mr. Pokémon's gift Ditto while hunting for Wonder Trade fodder last night, only to notice this morning that it was gone.

Back