• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
The only reason I said to decrease running shoes speed is cause I thought that making the bike faster could cause bugs, but looks like it doesn't (at least in Prism)... so yeah, 1/2/3 is the best ratio IMO.

My previous attempts to decrease the Running Shoes' speed, or increase the Bicycle speed, have resulted in weird movement that crashes the game.

You added more trees to Ilex Forest's tileset, but they don't have animations when the forest is "restless".

Fixed.

When someone calls me while I'm in Celadon University or Shamouti Island some of the tiles are corrupted (maybe you fixed it already)

Already fixed.

This swimmer at Cherrygrove Bay has an incorrect overworld sprite

Will fix.

Is it possible to obtain the Light Clay before the first E4 run? If so, giving it to Meganium would have helped a bit.

I'll see about adding one somewhere in Johto.

Of course, it's not like you need to spam Wonder Trade for item farming in the first act since the sheer number of added trainers ensures that unless you're rotating Pokémon in and out of the team like crazy (which is something I tend to do) or skip over all of the optional added areas, you're going to be overleveled for most of Johto.

I haven't quite finished the optional areas, but when they're done I'll see about changing the level curve.

With all the additions to this hack from vanilla Crystal (Pearls/Big Pearls/Pearl Strings obtainable from fishing, sell items from Rock Smash, infinite rematches against Breeders, etc.), I found myself quickly having the opposite problem the original games had in regards to money. If I ever ran out of money, all I had to do was find a body of water. Rock Smash proved to be the least efficient optional method of padding the wallet/purse. It also leads me to ask: do you need the Brick Pieces for anything, or are they just a really bad sell item?

Brick Pieces are basically worthless, kept only as a reference to GSC. (I remember discovering them, along with the Silver and Gold Leaves, Teru-sama, and other hidden data, with the Monster Brain.)

When the Goldenrod Department Store had its first rooftop sale, I noticed that the Full Heals that were being sold there were actually more expensive than if I bought them elsewhere.

Fixed.

With all the items that were added to this hack, I found my PC filling up with important items very, very quickly. Having only 30 slots in the PC forced me to either sell some of the battle items that were given throughout the main game (that can be bought from regular shops later) such as the Air Balloon and Charcoal, or actually attach them to Pokémon in the PC.

I've expanded it to 40.

For the Johto Gyms, I recommend removing two Pokémon from both Whitney and Chuck's teams, or at least Whitney's team. For Whitney, either both of the Jigglypuffs, or one Jigglypuff and the Teddiursa, should go. If Teddiursa goes, then the remaining Jigglypuff could stand to be evolved into Wigglytuff so it isn't "dead weight" on her team. For Chuck, I'm torn on which two besides Primeape and Poliwrath should be axed (leaning towards keeping Hitmontop). As for Morty, it would be fine IMO if you decided to give him a fifth Pokémon since he has four in vanilla Crystal. (In general, Gym leader teams should have one more Pokémon for the first fight against them than they had in vanilla Crystal if they didn't already have a full team.)

How about Clefairy, Teddiursa, Munchlax, and Miltank for Whitney (removing Jigglypuff, since she didn't have it in GSC); and Primeape, Farfetch'd, Hitmontop, and Poliwrath for Chuck (removing Machoke, since Machamp is Bruno's ace, and he had Primeape and Poliwrath in GSC)? (The rest would stay as-is.) I want to prioritize Gen 2 Pokémon for the Johto leaders.

Many of the same problems that Red Double Plus has with Lovely Kiss distribution in its 2.4.1 update are present here with the Accuracy increase to Sing in Modified to make up for Lovely Kiss being removed from the game, elevating a lot of Pokémon to levels they probably shouldn't be at.

Which ones in particular seem overpowered? I don't think 75% accuracy is unreasonable.

Why does Mew have Sketch?

Got the idea from TPP Crystal. This way it really can learn every move.

I don't like that the levels for the wild Pokémon in Kanto were increased. For some areas (Cerulean Cave, Shamouti Island, and maybe the Safari Zone), it makes sense for them to be stronger than anywhere in Johto. Everywhere else, they should have stayed low-leveled like in vanilla GSC. Prism had the right idea here. There's more than enough extra trainers present (along with E4 rematches if one is so inclined) that the wild levels don't need to be increased.

I'll take this into consideration later when readjusting the level curve. It's something that can be done as a save-compatible 3.1 update, after hearing people's experiences with 3.0.

I also don't like that Charizard was given Levitate as a secondary ability due to its typing change from Fire/Flying to Fire/Dragon for the 3.0 Modified. I feel that instead of this, you should have considered giving it Drought as its secondary (since Drought already exists and is one of its Mega Evolution abilities) and wouldn't require programming Tough Claws and Mega Launcher into the hack as exclusive Modified Version only abilities for the Kanto starters.

Without Levitate, there'd bo no option of a Ground-immune Fire/Dragon Charizard.

A question that is asked with the competitive side of gameplay in mind: It isn't hard to notice that quite a few 'mons suffer a bit from Knock Off not existing in this hack, Alolan Muk being probably the biggest loser since its best Dark STAB is Pursuit. If Knock Off is programmed into the hack for a 4.0 version, would it be possible to add an effect to the move where if it's used in a wild battle and knocks off the wild Pokémon's held item, you would obtain that item when the battle ends? I ask this because if it's possible, then Thief seems like the most likely move candidate to replace for Knock Off.

Maybe so. Adding new moves will be a 4.0 thing, pretty far in the future.

In the 2.2 version of Polished Crystal, the girl in Goldenrod Harbor who was selling rare items actually did so, having Ethers, Elixirs, Rare Candies, and two hold items (Bright Powder and Scope Lens) available. In the 3.0 version, her "rare" items are Potions, Antidotes, Paralyze Heals, and Awakenings. I cannot believe this change was intentional.

Fixed.

What is the Item hold rate on most of the Pokémon that are holding items? When I was catching 'mons on Route 34 to use as Wonder Trade fodder, I noticed that when I encountered a Rattata while my lead 'mon held a Lucky Egg, the Rattata always held a Destiny Knot when it was caught. When the encounter was an Abra, it would sometimes copy the Lucky Egg after capture. Also, the Suicune was holding an Exp. Share when I caught it. Were any of these intentional? Or are the wild encounter interactions with Lucky Egg a bug/glitch?

Sounds like another held item bug. (This one was fixed.) I think I've fixed the Suicune one, but don't know what's up with Destiny Knot Rattata, or the Abra. There's supposed to be a 50% chance for the common item and 5% for the rare one; 60% and 20% if your lead has Compound Eyes or holds an Amulet Coin.

It was worth noting that the E4 did not fall victim to the PP bug that was present for the early-game trainers in the linked patch I was using. (Is impatiently waiting for the next linked patch since I cannot compile it myself; I have no Internet access at home on my main computer and my laptop is a Chromebook)

It's been fixed.

I reacently play the beta, and these are the bugs that I noticed:
1.- During battles in Bellprout Tower...When several Bellprouts try to use "vine whip" a message diplays mentioning that he doesn't have PP's...Same case with the Pkm Breader placed down bellow the Daycare, her Ditto can't use "Transform".

This has been fixed.

2.- Inside the Daycare house (the one near Goldenrod city), when you press "A" in front of the Fridge shows the dialog "It's full of books" or something like that...

Fixed.

where was the flying pikachu moved to? i know that you were given it in cianwood by a certain person

You're thinking of Sacred Gold/Storm Silver. Flying and Surfing Pikachu are wild in Yellow Forest.

Selfdestruct gets stuck on the inverted colors post pkm faint. Might want to check explosion. Dynamicpunch is good

Fixed.

Talking about breeding with Ditto, where can I get a destiny knot?

The now-fixed Goldenrod Harbor girl sells them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
How about Clefairy, Teddiursa, Munchlax, and Miltank for Whitney (removing Jigglypuff, since she didn't have it in GSC); and Primeape, Farfetch'd, Hitmontop, and Poliwrath for Chuck (removing Machoke, since Machamp is Bruno's ace, and he had Primeape and Poliwrath in GSC)? (The rest would stay as-is.) I want to prioritize Gen 2 Pokémon for the Johto leaders.
Sounds reasonable.

Which ones in particular seem overpowered? I don't think 75% accuracy is unreasonable.
Gen 4 disagrees with you there; recall that the buff to Hypnosis's accuracy in Diamond/Pearl was removed in Platinum. Then again, the biggest abuser of 70% accurate Hypnosis was Gengar, which has advantages none of the Sing users do. As for which 'mons would be the most threatening with the 75% accurate Sleep move, going off the level-up moveset data on the GitHub, the ones that stand out the most as abusers of the move would be Jolteon, Espeon, and possibly Umbreon, Clefable, and Chansey/Blissey, with Leafeon and Raichu also being boosted a lot by the Modified buff to Sing's accuracy. But I guess it depends on how much of the old Gen 2 meta survives in this hack with all of the updates.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
Claire's Yanmega activates speed boost when it is sent into battle immediately, as opposed to after its first turn.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
i feel like the gym leader teams are fine as is, the only one i've even remotely struggled with is bugsy. i'd even say whitney was maybe too easy? chuck was also a total pushover. jasmine seems to have the best balance so far

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 18, 2023
I agree that the gym teams are fine as is, though I voted on that poll weeks/months ago. All the modern changes in the game such as new/revamped moves, changed typings, physical/special split, and so on, all work in the player's favor way more than they do for the AI. If you start reducing or changing gym leader Pokemon it's just gonna make the gym battles way too easy IMO.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 13, 2017
Hello.
I play the beta and when Flannery sent Magmortar the game crash.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Oct 1, 2017
Hi. I noticed a few bugs:
1-When Lawrence is in the Power Plant area, he dissapears when he walks.
2-Another bug with him. When on Shamouti Island, his sprite becomes the player's with green color.
3-Another sprite glitch. This glitch now happens with two moving people of Celadon City and a guy's Poliwrath after I go to the alternative path in route 16.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 28, 2024
small bug:
was facing pryce and his dewgong used rest via sleep talk and healed while already sleeping

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
Hi Rangi! I was playing the beta few minutes ago and I noticed this:
-My Feraligatr miss too many attacks (w?ter gun, night slash...attacks with 100% accuracy), so...I suspect that keep using several times "Hone claws" was the reason, after that I checked it for myself. Hone claws lowers the accuracy instead of increased

Here another bug:
-After beat a "TEACHER" placed to the Left near to the entrance of Yellow forest, I received a phonecall of "Mom", The cartel that displays the name of who are calling you looks Buggy with weird simbols (like rocks sprites), after that I was searching a pkm in the pokedex, When suddenly upon reaching the bottom of pokedex's list...THE GAME CRASHES

Last edited:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
Another bug:
I called this one "Baddass Cowgirl" hahaha, I will show this one with images. It consist in a Cowgirl with a bug on her name and with a pkm party (three Tauros) in a really high level for this moment of the adventure (Two tauros at lv: 57 and one at lv: 61 (It should be mentioned that the other trainers at this point in game, and in this place, have pkm teams at lv: 25 - 30 approximately).

PostScript: Of not having counted with Gengar in my party she surely would have crushed me, luckily all her tauros only executed type normal attacks (like "Trash), which facilitates to finish them just using the classic combo Hypnosis + Dream eater #HailGengar :)

Attachments

• Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-4.png
    Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-4.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-6.png
    Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-6.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-7.png
    Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-7.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-8.png
    Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-8.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-10.png
    Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-10.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 8
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 13, 2017
I rematch the Elite 4 and in the battle with Lance the game crash when his shiny Dragonite use his berry.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Hello.
I play the beta and when Flannery sent Magmortar the game crash.

Can't reproduce this.

One other thing: README.md says that Marowak is Ground/Ghost, but it's still pure Ground according to data/base_stats/marowak.asm.

Fixed.

Hi. I noticed a few bugs:
1-When Lawrence is in the Power Plant area, he dissapears when he walks.
2-Another bug with him. When on Shamouti Island, his sprite becomes the player's with green color.
3-Another sprite glitch. This glitch now happens with two moving people of Celadon City and a guy's Poliwrath after I go to the alternative path in route 16.

1: Can't reproduce.
2: Fixed.
3: Fixed.

Edit:

Hi Rangi! I was playing the beta few minutes ago and I noticed this:
-My Feraligatr miss too many attacks (w?ter gun, night slash...attacks with 100% accuracy), so...I suspect that keep using several times "Hone claws" was the reason, after that I checked it for myself. Hone claws lowers the accuracy instead of increased

Here another bug:
-After beat a "TEACHER" placed to the Left near to the entrance of Yellow forest, I received a phonecall of "Mom", The cartel that displays the name of who are calling you looks Buggy with weird simbols (like rocks sprites), after that I was searching a pkm in the pokedex, When suddenly upon reaching the bottom of pokedex's list...THE GAME CRASHES

Another bug:
I called this one "Baddass Cowgirl" hahaha, I will show this one with images. It consist in a Cowgirl with a bug on her name and with a pkm party (three Tauros) in a really high level for this moment of the adventure (Two tauros at lv: 57 and one at lv: 61 (It should be mentioned that the other trainers at this point in game, and in this place, have pkm teams at lv: 25 - 30 approximately).

PostScript: Of not having counted with Gengar in my party she surely would have crushed me, luckily all her tauros only executed type normal attacks (like "Trash), which facilitates to finish them just using the classic combo Hypnosis + Dream eater #HailGengar :)

You didn't say which beta you're using, but I assume it's an old one, because the phone call box and the Cowgirl have both been fixed.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I rematch the Elite 4 and in the battle with Lance the game crash when his shiny Dragonite use his berry.

That's actually Weakness Policy, and it's fixed in git.

I'll look into Hone Claws.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 28, 2021
Tried to evolve a lvl 26 Magikarp with a rare candy, game crashed. It was one of the newly added sprite-magikarp I tried to evolve.

Also, not sure if you saw my previous comment but Speed Boost sometimes activates immediately when a pkm is sent out (Claire's Yanmega). It shouldn't activate until a turn passes.

Back