• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    Been beta testing for a while decided to restart my game and play nuzlocke instead, ran into this slight problem, my team so far has nobody that can learn flash so i every time i try talking to falkner he says it's too dark. Should i restart?

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2017
    The Bag opens to whichever pocket you were in last, whether or not you're in a battle.

But it resets after catching a mon and restarting the game. Which makes going on catching sprees, and trying for that perfect legendary feel ever so slightly more tedious.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Weird. Even though I evolved Scyther into Scizor by Leveling up while Holding the Metal Coat, it still kept it. (Not complaining btw lol)
    Also was gonna mention the Thief issue but it's already been addressed. I used Save States to find that Metal Coat and then catch the Magnemite to work around it.

Yeah, that's intentional. :)

Been beta testing for a while decided to restart my game and play nuzlocke instead, ran into this slight problem, my team so far has nobody that can learn flash so i every time i try talking to falkner he says it's too dark. Should i restart?

Press Left+B at the title screen to reset the initial options. Turn off Nuzlocke mode, catch a Bellsprout HM slave, turn it back on.

But it resets after catching a mon and restarting the game. Which makes going on catching sprees, and trying for that perfect legendary feel ever so slightly more tedious.

Good point. I'll see if I can add it to the save file so it's persistent.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    I have 3 questions:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2017
    I don't know if the beasts have preset DV's and natures, as in the original games, but if they do, a change would be most welcome, since i want useful beasts.

Years
    • Seen yesterday

Polished Crystal isn't like some other hacks (Prism) in that "dark" means "can't see at all." I was able to navigate the cave just fine without using Flash.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Finally found out the cause of the trainer PP issues, thanks for the reports! It has been fixed in git so whenever a new beta release is published, it should have this bug fixed.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I don't know if the beasts have preset DV's and natures, as in the original games, but if they do, a change would be most welcome, since i want useful beasts.

I'm not aware of this? In any case, it seems like beasts are initialized like any other wildmon is to me.

(However, I've considered giving legends the 3 guranteed perfect DVs like in later generations, but haven't bothered with it for now)

EDIT: Looked into Synchronize. It seems to work correctly? Remember that it's only 50% that nature is "inherited", you might have been screwed by the RNG. Captured 7 mons using a lead Synchronize mon with Serious -- 5 of the captures had Serious, one had Sassy and one Naive. Also remember that it's the *lead* mon's ability that counts, even if it's fainted.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2017
    I'm not aware of this? In any case, it seems like beasts are initialized like any other wildmon is to me.

The roaming beasts in gen2 had their stats determined after being released. In HG/SS both IV and nature were set after releasing them. If these issues haven't been addressed, then i would guess they work the same way in Polished Crystal.

Looked into Synchronize. It seems to work correctly? Remember that it's only 50% that nature is "inherited", you might have been screwed by the RNG. Captured 7 mons using a lead Synchronize mon with Serious -- 5 of the captures had Serious, one had Sassy and one Naive. Also remember that it's the *lead* mon's ability that counts, even if it's fainted.

I catched more than 20 mon total with Natu in the lead(tried both fainted and healthy). Also shifted from the Lapras i was going for to other mon, to check if it was a problem only for stationary mon. It was not. After trying a lot, I ended up with only 1 with the preferred nature, which is the likely outcome without synchronise. I even double checked right now, where i got 1 out of 10 tentacools with the preferred nature.

Now, it is possible I am that incredibly unlucky, but i highly doubt it. As for why we get different results, I have no idea. I am playing the beta posted saturday by the way.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Polished Crystal isn't like some other hacks (Prism) in that "dark" means "can't see at all." I was able to navigate the cave just fine without using Flash.

Except that in this game you're required to use Flash to light that cave in order to face the first Gym Leader. It's a scripted event in 3.0 to make you visit Sprout Tower before Falkner.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    I know this has been addressed numerous times, but I still don't understand exactly how the perfect IV feature works. Theoretically, if you max the EVs on all stats, are your pokes' stats actually the highest they could possibly be, i.e. a mew hitting with psychic backed by 328 SP ATTK? http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/151.shtml

Because a couple of responses have said the IVs are still actually random. That would imply a poke not being as strong as the calculated stats state.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    "Max IVs" does nothing to the actual IVs. However, for the purpose of calculating the final stats, IVs are treated as if they were 15 (the highest in GSC). This means that Hidden Power isn't always Dark, Color variation still works, and so on. Basically, treat it as if all of your Pokémon are Hyper Trained in all stats. Also, keep in mind that the highest stat there assumes a nature that gives a boost in said stat, for example a Modest Mew with 15 DVs (or 0-15 DVs but with "max IVs" on) and 252+ EVs at level 100 would have 328 Special Attack, but a Quirky one would have less.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Its been a while since I was here last and I see mention of abilities on pokemon in this game. Did I miss something or is this a feature for the next update?

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years
  • I don't know if anyone has previously mentioned it but Zubat starts with Absorb and not Leech Life. Just wondering whether this was intentional as I can't see Leech Life on the removed items list.

In addition I've noticed a lot of trainer's pokemon have 0 PP or like No moves for some reason and are just struggling. I think it might be to do with Level up move sets, because I noticed Chikorita and Cyndaquil when used against me only use Growl.

Apart from that I am LOVING 3.0so far. Great stuff :D

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The PP issue was fixed recently, the latest beta link put on here doesn't have the fix.

The Zubat thing is intentional, this is due to the major buff Leech Life got in VII. Zubat gets Absorb early rather than Leech Life in VII too.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2017
    Rangi how can I have Entei registered in the Pokédex since Eusine isn't anymore in the Celadon Pokécenter?

Back