• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
  • Rangi, I can battle breeder julie over and over again on route 34

Actually that's intencional, because in Pokemon Black/White (1&2) for some reason we can rebattle Pkm Breeders over an over again...in my opinion Rangi did an excellent work adding this kind of details to Polished Crystal.

Rangi, talking about rebattles, Have you ever think in make an update to those trainer with wich we can have a rematch by phone callings? Because lot of them usually have just 2 or 3 pkms, also in a very low level (even on their final rematch versions after several battles agains them).

uchihamadada

Years
  • Hi Rangi I was hunting the legendary dogs a few moments ago (route 32), when I found a Mareep basicaly because I ran out of repellents, when I see it I remember that you said that one of the reasons to don't turn Ampharos into a Dragon type pkm was because Mareep appears to early in game...at that precise moment, for some reason remember the "Floccesy Ranch" from Pkm Black2/White2. After that a thought came to my mind:

"Would not make it more sense to move Mareep to routes 38-39 near the Moo moo farm?"

Replacing Magnemite for Mareep and viceversa (moving Magnemite to route 32). That way Mareep would not appear so early in the game... ;)

Talking about Moo moo farm, as in the original Crystal version, they only sell you the Moomoo milk (one or a dozen) just if you don't any in your Medicine pocket, I do not know if it's possible that they sell it to us in the same mechanic as the "Castelliacones" in Castelia City from Pkm Black/White, I mean, they sell it to us just one or a dozen per day

Attachments

• 800px-Floccesy_Ranch_Summer_B2W2.png
      800px-Floccesy_Ranch_Summer_B2W2.png
      263.8 KB · Views: 23
    Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    for the life of me I cant remember if the starters had new typings in this hack. For some reason I recall Meganium being part fairy to name an example. Does Feraligatr have a dark typing? It would make sense due to the dark attacks it has after evolving from Crocanaw

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Slowpoke in the well: Sprites are geodude
    Heracross in the house from Ilex Forest to route 34: looks like an unkown sprite

Looks like the sprites got messed up

Fixed.

"Would not make it more sense to move Mareep to routes 38-39 near the Moo moo farm?"

Replacing Magnemite for Mareep and viceversa (moving Magnemite to route 32). That way Mareep would not appear so early in the game... ;)

I like this idea, but it still has problems. Electric Pokémon are Magnemite, Voltorb, Elekid, Mareep, and Pikachu. Magnemite is a Steel-type with Sonic Boom, also too strong for the early game. Voltorb is unique to Kanto, but you can trade for one in Violet City (most NPC trades are now for Kanto Pokémon so you don't have to wait until post-game). Elekid is a baby. Mareep is as discussed. Pikachu is unique to Yellow Forest. And I do want to have some Electric type wild on Route 32. I may just leave Mareep there, but change it to evolve at levels 16 and 40 instead of 15 and 30.

Talking about Moo moo farm, as in the original Crystal version, they only sell you the Moomoo milk (one or a dozen) just if you don't any in your Medicine pocket, I do not know if it's possible that they sell it to us in the same mechanic as the "Castelliacones" in Castelia City from Pkm Black/White, I mean, they sell it to us just one or a dozen per day

That's doable.

uchihamadada

Years
  • By the way Rangi, have you ever think into ad an alternative form (sprite) for Lugia? (for example just like you did with Pikachu and Arbok), because I saw this sprites of Shadow Lugia (from Pokemon XD) and Shadow Mewtwo (from Pokken Tourment), I think they look awesome, also Mewtwo with his Armor and an update of which in my opinion is the best sprite of Mewtwo, the one from RB versions...the First Shadow Lugia's Sprite it's alredy animated (.gif)

Attachments

• tumblr_mke2diDpb91rsc51fo1_r1_500.gif
      tumblr_mke2diDpb91rsc51fo1_r1_500.gif
      160.5 KB · Views: 7
    • PeWeXc4.png
      PeWeXc4.png
      12.9 KB · Views: 7
    • XD001.png
      XD001.png
      31.4 KB · Views: 3
    • Yg2ZZ1W.png
      Yg2ZZ1W.png
      3.5 KB · Views: 4
    • armored_mewtwo__battle_sprite_and_back_sprite_v2_by_othienka-d7men4j.png
      armored_mewtwo__battle_sprite_and_back_sprite_v2_by_othienka-d7men4j.png
      21.2 KB · Views: 10
    • mewtwo_sprite_revamp_by_speedthepyrohog-d52mc0d.png
      mewtwo_sprite_revamp_by_speedthepyrohog-d52mc0d.png
      24.9 KB · Views: 10
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Ooooh, that's a great looking Shadow Lugia sprite. It would be neat to have some sort of storyline involving the Fire/Ice/Lightning Islands and Shadow Lugia, and that way regular Lugia can stay at the Whirl Islands.

Years
  • Actually that's sounds great, maybe Mareep could evolve at Level 18 (like Totodile to Croconaw), and Flaaffy could evolve at Level 45 (like Vibrava to Flygon).
    This sounds like a good way to make Ampharos part dragon.

Also Rangi, have you thought about expanding Mt. Silver a bit? Maybe something similar to the HGSS design. The original design feels a bit short and lame despite being the "final" cave.

Years
    • Seen today
    Personally, I think the way the MooMoo Milk guy works right now is fine. Sure, you have to deposit the one dozen you just bought in the PC at the nearest Pokémon Center, but it's less of an inconvenience than having to wait until the next day to buy more. Also, because they are superior to Hyper Potions due to the Gen 7 nerf to Hyper Potions. But I understand if you decide to change it to how it works in the later games.

I was also wondering something else that would add difficulty to the hack. I've noticed that nearly none of the trainers who have a Pokémon that can have Sturdy as an ability actually have Sturdy as that Pokémon's ability. Whereas in Gen 5 (Idk about Gen 6/7 as I still have yet to play those games), every trainer that had a Pokémon that had more abilities than Sturdy, always had Sturdy set as the ability for those Pokémon. Having more trainers, both regular and bosses, with Pokémon that cannot be OHKO'd without Mold Breaker or a multi-hit move would only be a good thing, IMO.

I also wanted to ask about the legendary bird trip as I noticed that each of then gets one of their XD purification moves (Extrasensory) but not the other two. Moltres in particular would benefit greatly from gaining Morning Sun, especially in Modified if Drought is its ability. Then again, the current absence of recovery aside from healing items and Rest might be the only thing keeping Moltres and Zapdos from being broken as auto-weather setters.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Personally, I think the way the MooMoo Milk guy works right now is fine. Sure, you have to deposit the one dozen you just bought in the PC at the nearest Pokémon Center, but it's less of an inconvenience than having to wait until the next day to buy more. Also, because they are superior to Hyper Potions due to the Gen 7 nerf to Hyper Potions. But I understand if you decide to change it to how it works in the later games.

I'd actually prefer stocking up on Moomoo Milk to be somewhat inconvenient for that exact reason. If you could buy them in bulk, Hyper Potions would be pointless.

I was also wondering something else that would add difficulty to the hack. I've noticed that nearly none of the trainers who have a Pokémon that can have Sturdy as an ability actually have Sturdy as that Pokémon's ability. Whereas in Gen 5 (Idk about Gen 6/7 as I still have yet to play those games), every trainer that had a Pokémon that had more abilities than Sturdy, always had Sturdy set as the ability for those Pokémon. Having more trainers, both regular and bosses, with Pokémon that cannot be OHKO'd without Mold Breaker or a multi-hit move would only be a good thing, IMO.

Good observation. Trainer classes have ability 1 as a default. Since they're equivalent, I could make the better ability be #1 for all species. That's more convenient than the alternative of remembering to give custom abilities to every random trainer who could have a Sturdy Pokémon. (Bosses do generally have custom abilities, as well as custom DVs and natures, so they can have hidden abilities or typed Hidden Power and so on.)

I also wanted to ask about the legendary bird trip as I noticed that each of then gets one of their XD purification moves (Extrasensory) but not the other two. Moltres in particular would benefit greatly from gaining Morning Sun, especially in Modified if Drought is its ability. Then again, the current absence of recovery aside from healing items and Rest might be the only thing keeping Moltres and Zapdos from being broken as auto-weather setters.

I'll look into adding more of the game-exclusive moves, including purified ones.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    Love the game, but I might have a problem. I wanted to catch Ho-oh, so I triggered the Suicune event in Bell Tower (Defeated it), went and defeated the Elite Four (I had already beaten the E4 2x along with Red. Still training for the Green fight, which is amazing). When I went back to the Bell Tower, there weren't any stairs for me to go to the second floor. I know in Crystal, the stairs aren't supposed to appear until you've beaten the Elite Four, but I already have. Am I missing something else?
    I really love this game, by the way. Crystal is one of my favorite games, and this took my favorite elements from HGSS and upped the difficulty. Amazing job.{XD}

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Love the game, but I might have a problem. I wanted to catch Ho-oh, so I triggered the Suicune event in Bell Tower (Defeated it), went and defeated the Elite Four (I had already beaten the E4 2x along with Red. Still training for the Green fight, which is amazing). When I went back to the Bell Tower, there weren't any stairs for me to go to the second floor. I know in Crystal, the stairs aren't supposed to appear until you've beaten the Elite Four, but I already have. Am I missing something else?
    I really love this game, by the way. Crystal is one of my favorite games, and this took my favorite elements from HGSS and upped the difficulty. Amazing job.{XD}

Just like in Crystal, you need to catch all three legendary beasts first.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Aww theres no move tutor for Play Rough. Thats a shame. That would be an excellent move for a tutor to offer.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • So.. I thought that maybe compiling the latest version could fix my problem with the Sneasels and I found this video which I've followed as best as I could (had to use python2 and python2-setuptools instead of python because I couldn't find the ones specified in the video).
    Everything worked fine until the time to execute the "make" command came.
    When I entered it, I've got this error and no .gbc ROM:
    FQoUpHv.png

It's prolly my fault, but I don't know where did I made the mistake.
    Is it because I'm using python2 instead of python?

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    I also had a weird bug after compiling the most recent version. It involves the move leer. It's basically ensuring most physical moves used after one leer kills the Wild pokemon. I sent in a level 7 cyndaquil against a Geodude level 4 that already used 3 defense curls. I then used leer ONE time and used tackle on the full health wild geodude. It killed him in one hit. Doesn't seem to affect trainer's but wild pokemon most definitely are. I have perfect Ivs turned on in settings, maybe that could cause it?

Years
    • Seen today
    I also had a weird bug after compiling the most recent version. It involves the move leer. It's basically ensuring most physical moves used after one leer kills the Wild pokemon. I sent in a level 7 cyndaquil against a Geodude level 4 that already used 3 defense curls. I then used leer ONE time and used tackle on the full health wild geodude. It killed him in one hit. Doesn't seem to affect trainer's but wild pokemon most definitely are. I have perfect Ivs turned on in settings, maybe that could cause it?
    This is a bug that I experienced on an older version, but cannot confirm on the newest updates because I cannot compile them myself. It was the 5241ec9 commit Rangi posted last week. It only became a glaring problem when I was trying to capture Zapdos last night, using a Level 54 Magic Guard Umbreon (Calm nature) with Charm, Sing, Baton Pass, and Thief. (I would have used a Timid Synchronize Umbreon for the fight, except the effect of Synchronize to force its nature onto the wild Pokemon apparently doesn't work.) In addition to Charm seemingly dropping all of Zapdos' stats to 0, getting a critical hit with Thief was an automatic OHKO even if Zapdos was at full health, when it should normally take 6-8 hits depending on Zapdos' nature for Umbreon to get it into the red HP with Thief. Also, Umbreon would not have leveled up on a successful capture or accidental faint, although that bug was also very problematic in the early-game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    This is a bug that I experienced on an older version, but cannot confirm on the newest updates because I cannot compile them myself. It was the 5241ec9 commit Rangi posted last week. It only became a glaring problem when I was trying to capture Zapdos last night, using a Level 54 Magic Guard Umbreon (Calm nature) with Charm, Sing, Baton Pass, and Thief. (I would have used a Timid Synchronize Umbreon for the fight, except the effect of Synchronize to force its nature onto the wild Pokemon apparently doesn't work.) In addition to Charm seemingly dropping all of Zapdos' stats to 0, getting a critical hit with Thief was an automatic OHKO even if Zapdos was at full health, when it should normally take 6-8 hits depending on Zapdos' nature for Umbreon to get it into the red HP with Thief. Also, Umbreon would not have leveled up on a successful capture or accidental faint, although that bug was also very problematic in the early-game.
    I just compiled it from github yesterday. It seems like it still exists. Also, the charm glitch lowers ALL stats to 0 or just the attack stat?

Years
    • Seen today
    I just compiled it from github yesterday. It seems like it still exists. Also, the charm glitch lowers ALL stats to 0 or just the attack stat?
    All stats. Which could mean that every move in the hack that decreases the opponent's stats has this problem.

Edit: Moves that lower Speed or Accuracy don't seem to trigger this glitch. Tested Cyndaquil's Smokescreen and Caterpie's String Shot on a new game on the same commit I'm still using from last week; neither of them insta-zeroed all of a wild Pokémon's stats.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    I'm having a blast playing it. It's by far the best gbc hack i ever played. My only problem is that the game feels way too easy. Considering that you can get a lucky egg in the wonder trade i would expect the game being more chalenging like 'complex crystal'. My sujestion would be a version of the hack where the game gets as hard as complex crystal with the trainers and gym leaders having more powerful pokemon (ex: in complex crystal, witney have a level 25 miltank and a persian that i can't remember the level)

Back