• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
  • Suggestion: Add in the patterns that appear in Magikarp Jump to Magikarp as sprite variations. With the Lake of Rage being such a staple of Johto, I can imagine that different Magikarp varieties are swimming around in there and it seems to me to make the most sense to have them be "introduced" in Johto. In Magikarp Jump, all patterns evolve into the standard Gyarados, so you wouldn't have to necessarily add the patterns to its evolved form too. I may sprite up a sample or two to see how well it would work.

Obviously, this isn't a make-or-break request, but with the emphasis on uniqueness you've been putting on individual Pokemon I figured I'd pass on the suggestion.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Suggestion: Add in the patterns that appear in Magikarp Jump to Magikarp as sprite variations. With the Lake of Rage being such a staple of Johto, I can imagine that different Magikarp varieties are swimming around in there and it seems to me to make the most sense to have them be "introduced" in Johto. In Magikarp Jump, all patterns evolve into the standard Gyarados, so you wouldn't have to necessarily add the patterns to its evolved form too. I may sprite up a sample or two to see how well it would work.

Obviously, this isn't a make-or-break request, but with the emphasis on uniqueness you've been putting on individual Pokemon I figured I'd pass on the suggestion.

Hadn't heard of Magikarp Jump until now. Is there a gallery of all the patterns?

Edit: Found one. If you can sprite the seven orange variations (minus Orange & Gold Calico, which is the same as Orange & White), I'll do the animation frames.

Edit 2: Actually, Crystal's sprite doesn't show much of the body, so many patterns wouldn't make a real difference. Can you add the patterns to Silver's sprite instead? I'll see if I can animate it; or would anyone else like to do that?

Silver's sprite:
    Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Crystal's animation:

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Hadn't heard of Magikarp Jump until now. Is there a gallery of all the patterns?

Edit: Found one. If you can sprite the seven orange variations (minus Orange & Gold Calico, which is the same as Orange & White), I'll do the animation frames.

Edit 2: Actually, Crystal's sprite doesn't show much of the body, so many patterns wouldn't make a real difference. Can you add the patterns to Silver's sprite instead? I'll see if I can animate it; or would anyone else like to do that?

Silver's sprite:

Crystal's animation:

I can give the patterns a shot. I'll add them to this post when I'm done. Don't think I can do animations, but I can try after I do the patterns.

EDIT:

All in order based on that link, starting with skelly, with the orange/gold calico omitted as requested.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I can give the patterns a shot. I'll add them to this post when I'm done. Don't think I can do animations, but I can try after I do the patterns.

EDIT:

All in order based on that link, starting with skelly, with the orange/gold calico omitted as requested.

Great work! I may include these even if animations don't get done. Thank you!

A reminder, if anyone sees this and wants to help with the animations, these four sprites also need frames (in priority order):

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • EDIT: Added Skelly Front Sprites. Couldn't get the proportions right on the back sprites, so it's not there.

I've finished a ton of the patterns, using Crystal's sprites, as I didn't see the edit talking about Silver's. Here's the image:

Patterns from top to bottom: Standard, Calico (Orange and White), Calico (Orange, White, and Black), Calico (White and Orange), Orange Two-Toned, Orange Orca, Orange Dapples, Skelly. I think they look fine on Crystal's sprite. Though, you may want to take a look over my backsprites, as they're not as good as the fronts.

Not sprited yet: Skelly's Back Sprite, Calico (Orange and Gold), and any of the weird non-Magikarp colored ones. Calico (Orange and Gold) isn't possible with the standard palette. If you wanted the patterns from the weird gray and purple Magikarp, but on the standard orange Magikarp, they'd be Bubbles, Diamonds, and Patches.

EDIT: The playstore has a picture of a Magikarp with an unlisted pattern. I assume that it's not yet implemented, here's what it looks like:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    EDIT: Added Skelly Front Sprites. Couldn't get the proportions right on the back sprites, so it's not there.

I've finished a ton of the patterns, using Crystal's sprites, as I didn't see the edit talking about Silver's. Here's the image:

Patterns from top to bottom: Standard, Calico (Orange and White), Calico (Orange, White, and Black), Calico (White and Orange), Orange Two-Toned, Orange Orca, Orange Dapples, Skelly. I think they look fine on Crystal's sprite. Though, you may want to take a look over my backsprites, as they're not as good as the fronts.

Not sprited yet: Skelly's Back Sprite, Calico (Orange and Gold), and any of the weird non-Magikarp colored ones. Calico (Orange and Gold) isn't possible with the standard palette. If you wanted the patterns from the weird gray and purple Magikarp, but on the standard orange Magikarp, they'd be Bubbles, Diamonds, and Patches.

EDIT: The playstore has a picture of a Magikarp with an unlisted pattern. I assume that it's not yet implemented, here's what it looks like:
    Spoiler:

Drat. Sorry not to use your work, but I really think the Silver sprite shows the patterns better. The Crystal sprite's face is larger than the body at that angle, and the fin covers up half of what body there is.

I totally forgot about back sprites though. Yours look fine, apart from the two white horizontal streaks present on them all (even added to the regular one). And thank you for finding the unreleased tiger-striped pattern.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I can do the backsprite too. Totally slipped my mind. Will, as usual, edit the post with them.

Also, I can add in the unreleased one as well, though I may have to speculate on the top half of the design since it's facing a different direction :P

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I can do the backsprite too. Totally slipped my mind. Will, as usual, edit the post with them.

Also, I can add in the unreleased one as well, though I may have to speculate on the top half of the design since it's facing a different direction :P

Maybe PM Deokishisu and coordinate your efforts? And sure, go ahead and guess; it's probably symmetrical. My attempts to draw the fin flopping away from the body, at a foreshortened angle toward the viewer, are crap. Hopefully one or both of y'all can adapt the three animation frames to the Silver pose. (Don't worry about redrawing every pattern on every frame.)

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I just saw your post after finishing them. I don't usually work together when I do individual sprites. Sorry :(

Organized in the same order as before, with the Unreleased on its own. I realize the two-tone one isn't... noticeably different, but unfortunately, the anatomy didn't line up very well in the sprite, so I couldn't showcase the underbelly as well. At least the dopples looks better!

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    If I'm not mistaken, at the Lake of Rage there's an NPC in the house who wants to see a really big Magikarp. Maybe there could be another one in the same house who explains that some Magikarp have different patterns? He could then follow-up by requesting to see different ones. "Today I'd like to see a Magikarp with a striped design".

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Magikarp Jump forms are implemented! (Although the front sprites are not animated yet.) Thank you to Trev and Deokishisu for contributing the graphics.

Like collecting Pok?mon? 9 patterns ? (6 color channels)^(9 variants/channel) ? 2 for shinies = 181,398,528 visibly different Magikarp.

Have fun!

Edit: NPCs will also use these variants:

Last edited:

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    If someone actually manages to catch 181k+ Magikarp, we need to crown them king/queen/ruler of Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2019
    Magikarp Jump forms are implemented! (Although the front sprites are not animated yet.) Thank you to Trev and Deokishisu for contributing the graphics.

Like collecting Pok?mon? 9 patterns ? (6 color channels)^(9 variants/channel) ? 2 for shinies = 181,398,528 visibly different Magikarp.

Have fun!

Edit: NPCs will also use these variants:

I didn't know that there were different forms to Magikarp. That's interesting.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I didn't know that there were different forms to Magikarp. That's interesting.

Until a few weeks ago when Magikarp Hop came out, there weren't any different forms. That's the really cool thing to me - this hack just pulls together every scrap of lore from the series. So the more you know about Pokemon as a whole, the more the game rewards you for playing! :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    Will I be able to trade Pokemon from my 2.2.0 file to 3.0? I've done a bunch of shiny hunting on my file and want to keep my shinies

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Will I be able to trade Pokemon from my 2.2.0 file to 3.0? I've done a bunch of shiny hunting on my file and want to keep my shinies

Sorry, no. Shininess in 2.2.0 was based on DVs (the Gen 2 way), and in 3.0 it's based on a new personality value (the Gen 3+ way).

Last edited:
    Back