• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
Years
  • I've added a new poll for what moves should be changed, if any.

Remember, here's what's been added so far:

Code:
    Acrobatics     Disarm Voice   Hex            Scald
    Aerial Ace     Dragon Claw    Hone Claws     Seed Bomb
    Air Slash      Dragon Dance   Hurricane      Shadow Claw
    Aqua Jet       Dragon Pulse   Hyper Voice    Skill Swap
    Aqua Tail      Drain Kiss     Ice Shard      Stone Edge
    Astonish       Earth Power    Icicle Crash   Sucker Punch
    Aura Sphere    Energy Ball    Icicle Spear   Toxic Spikes
    Avalanche      Extrasensory   Iron Head      Trick
    Brave Bird     Facade         Knock Off      U-turn
    Bug Buzz       Flare Blitz    Moonblast      Venoshock
    Bulk Up        Flash Cannon   Nasty Plot     Volt Switch
    Bulldoze       Focus Blast    Night Slash    Water Pulse
    Bullet Punch   Fury Strikes   Play Rough     Wild Charge
    Calm Mind      Giga Impact    Poison Jab     Will-O-Wisp
    Close Combat   Gunk Shot      Power Gem      X-Scissor
    Dark Pulse     Hail           Psystrike      Zen Headbutt
    DazzlinGleam   HealingLight   Roost

And what's been removed:

Code:
    Acid Armor     Frustration    Morning Sun    Smog
    Barrage        Fury Attack    Nightmare      Snore
    Beat Up        Fury Swipes    Poison Gas     Spider Web
    Bide           Guillotine     Pound          Spike Cannon
    Bind           Horn Drill     Powder Snow    Spite
    Bone Club      Jump Kick      Present        Submission
    Bone Rush      Kinesis        Psych Up       Sweet Scent
    Bubble         Lovely Kiss    Psywave        Synthesis
    Clamp          Meditate       Razor Wind     Tail Whip
    Comet Punch    Mega Kick      Rolling Kick   Twineedle
    Constrict      Mega Punch     Sand-Attack    Twister
    Conversion2    Mimic          Sharpen        Vicegrip
    Cotton Spore   Mind Reader    Skull Bash     Vital Throw
    Detect         Mirror Move    Sky Attack     Whirlwind
    Egg Bomb       Mist           Slam           Withdraw
    Fissure        Moonlight      Sludge

("Fury Strikes" merges Fury Attack and Fury Swipes. "HealingLight" merges Synthesis, Moonlight, and Morning Sun. Both of them vary their animations depending on who's using them.)

As I suggest before, I really want to see:
    -Shell Smash (Magcargo, Cloyster, Omastar, and maybe can be even added for Blastoise)
    -Drain Punch
    -Fire, Thunder and Icefang
    -Trick Room (specially for pkms like Slowbro, Exeggutor, Mr. Mime, Porygons, Slowking...)
    -Leafblade and Poerwhip (for more Physical grass attacks variation)

I just can think in those for now...:)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    As I suggest before, I really want to see:
    -Shell Smash (Magcargo, Cloyster, Omastar, and maybe can be even added for Blastoise)
    -Drain Punch
    -Fire, Thunder and Icefang
    -Trick Room (specially for pkms like Slowbro, Exeggutor, Mr. Mime, Porygons, Slowking...)
    -Leafblade and Poerwhip (for more Physical grass attacks variation)

I just can think in those for now...:)

All good suggestions. I don't think I'll have enough room for all three Fang moves, let alone Poison Fang (which I'd want as the fourth).

I'll have to think about which would be worth adding. Canon distributions:

• Drain Punch: (egg: Ledyba/Ledian) (TM60: many others)
    • Trick Room: Porygon-Z (TM92: many others)
    • Shell Smash: Shellder/Cloyster, Omanyte/Omastar, Magcargo
    • Leaf Blade: Victreebel, Leafeon (egg: Farfetch'd)
    • Power Whip: Tangela/Tangrowth (egg: Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur, Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel)
    • Wood Hammer: Exeggutor, Sudowoodo

(Non-canon Shell Smash possibilities: Blastoise, Forretress, Lapras, Kabutops... Pupitar would be too overpowered, but fun...)

Anyone else with move suggestions, please take a look at the learnsets and available TMs/HMs/tutors. Do any Pokémon stand out as needing just one or two moves to be much more useful in competitive battles?

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • All good suggestions. I don't think I'll have enough room for all three Fang moves, let alone Poison Fang (which I'd want as the fourth).

• Power Whip: Tangela/Tangrowth (egg: Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur, Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel)

(Non-canon Shell Smash possibilities: Blastoise, Forretress, Lapras, Kabutops... Pupitar would be too overpowered, but fun...)

Anyone else with move suggestions, please take a look at the learnsets and available TMs/HMs/tutors. Do any Pokémon stand out as needing just one or two moves to be much more useful in competitive battles?

Moonblast Mismagius, for one. Bellossom should probably learn Moonblast through relearner as well, in case you missed it as Gloom.

As for the moves you're considering adding, I think Shell Smash should be a high priority. It's vital for the sucky Pokemon that get it, it makes Cloyster better, and the non-canon possibilities would be very interesting for the Pokemon who would gain access to it.

I would also like to suggest putting Quiver Dance in the running for the canon mons that get it (Butterfree, Venomoth, Bellossom) and for non-canon considerations. Non-canon options could be special-based Pidgeot (mating dance?), perhaps Tangela (its vines quiver), Jynx (its Pokedex entry mentions its mesmerizing movements), Ledian (it sucks at Attack, gotta give it something. Pokedex entry mentions "fluttering about"), Hoppip line (it just makes sense to me, dancing in the wind), Yanma line (the way dragonflies hover in one small area but dart around justifies it, I think). Bigger stretches include the Hoothoot line, Oddish and Bellsprout lines, and Politoad.

The only line I could see becoming devastating with the move is Jynx. Jynx is already a decent Pokemon, but Quiver Dance could tip it over to being unfair. On the bright side, you get the Jynx on boss Trainers to be more threatening. Tangrowth may become too bulky with it as well, but the speed boost is pretty much wasted on it so it may balance out. For Tangrowth it may cause it to function similar to Gen 2 Curselax. The others are just straight improvements for Pokemon that are not that great or not that great on the special side. For the stretches, Politoad could end up being too powerful with it too, but it works thematically. Politoad dances and frogs quiver when they croak.

Yanmega would need some testing to see if it becomes too powerful with it. It still has glaring common physical weaknesses in Rock, Flying, and physical Dragon-type moves and is frail enough that it might not have time to set up. It also lost its 4x weakness and shuffled some of its resistances to common types, so despite having the same amount of weaknesses overall and losing an immunity, it may still be better off defensively than it was. I'm not sure if Tinted Lens is in, but Quiver Dance could make Speed Boost unnecessary and allow it to fire off unresisted, powered-up, STAB Bug Buzzes from behind a Sp. Def boost. The only reason to switch to a coverage option would be to exploit an enemy weakness to Air Slash. Heck, you could run Quiver Dance/Bug Buzz/Air Slash/Substitute and run a bulky nature because Quiver Dance and unresisted STAB would make up for any power loss. The only thing you'd have to worry about after setting up would be a specially bulky mon that could hit you super effectively through the Substitute, and the only one I could think of that's in the game would be Sylveon, and even then Pixilate Hyper Voice needs to get through the Sp. Def boosts.

Last edited:

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Keep fury cutter in the game, but make the TM for U-turn come from bugsy, yes. Fury cutter isn't great, but it has its place.

Struggle bug would be great to have early on. For instance, I'm using Yanma now, and it's hard not having a special bug attack just yet. Maybe add signal beam, too, around lvl 30 or so?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Personally, the only moves I can get behind adding (going off of the poll + prior responses to it) are Bug Bite (if Fury Cutter is axed), Drain Punch, and Power Whip. Boosting moves such as Quiver Dance and Shell Smash should wait until it's possible to have more than 253 moves (not counting Struggle). Though I was going to suggest Cosmic Power, but only Clefairy and Starmie get it in canon :(

But what about Heat Wave? Was that already considered and dismissed? I've noticed that some 'mons such as Pidgeot (which was repurposed into becoming a special attacker in Modified) are starving for special moves to utilize with their Modified stats; Pidgeot in particular currently only gets Air Slash, Hidden Power, Hurricane, and Hyper Beam. But out of all the Flying-types, would Heat Wave be relevant on more than just Pidgeot? (As long as Zapdos has Drizzle in Modified...)

I should also mention that the Bellsprout line gets Leech Life in Prism, if you're looking for more non-canon moves to add to learnsets.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Personally, the only moves I can get behind adding (going off of the poll + prior responses to it) are Bug Bite (if Fury Cutter is axed), Drain Punch, and Power Whip. Boosting moves such as Quiver Dance and Shell Smash should wait until it's possible to have more than 253 moves (not counting Struggle). Though I was going to suggest Cosmic Power, but only Clefairy and Starmie get it in canon :(

But what about Heat Wave? Was that already considered and dismissed? I've noticed that some 'mons such as Pidgeot (which was repurposed into becoming a special attacker in Modified) are starving for special moves to utilize with their Modified stats; Pidgeot in particular currently only gets Air Slash, Hidden Power, Hurricane, and Hyper Beam. But out of all the Flying-types, would Heat Wave be relevant on more than just Pidgeot? (As long as Zapdos has Drizzle in Modified...)

I should also mention that the Bellsprout line gets Leech Life in Prism, if you're looking for more non-canon moves to add to learnsets.

Yes, any move I add has to be balanced by removing one of the current 255. If >255 moves were supported there'd be no need to poll for which are highest-priority.

Heat Wave is too similar to Fire Blast, and only relevant for a few Pok?mon: Pidgeot, Crobat, Farfetch'd, Zapdos, Noctowl, Togekiss, Xatu, Honchkrow. I'd rather just give some of the Fire Blast than sacrifice another move. (After all, if Raticate can learn Thunder, Pidgeot can learn Fire Blast.) It would work well as a location-exclusive move like Surfing/Flying Pikachu in Yellow Forest; I've been needing more of those.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • All good suggestions. I don't think I'll have enough room for all three Fang moves, let alone Poison Fang (which I'd want as the fourth).

I really like that non-canon options, I mean, a pkm like Forrestress Urgently needs care, love...and a brutal boost of power! As you said, for competitive reasons, also when I suggested "Leaf blade" I was thinking Precisely in Leafeon, Farfetch'd it's an amazing good option for this move (specially if he is holding "stick"), same when I suggested "Power whip"...

Definitely 3.0.0 and 4.0.0 will be blast!!! ;)

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
    Years

Anyone else with move suggestions, please take a look at the learnsets and available TMs/HMs/tutors. Do any Pok?mon stand out as needing just one or two moves to be much more useful in competitive battles?

I would really only add one new Physical Grass move tbh, since you already have Seed Bomb. Maybe blend Seed Bomb and Leaf Blade to make it an 80 attack critical hit, or 90 attack physical etc.

I definitely agree with Shell Smash, Drain Punch and Trick Room so far. Another suggestion I haven't seen is Coil which could have some non canon applications with like Gyarados, Onix etc.

Why not rename HealingLight to Rejuvenate?

Last edited:

Ruvaldak

I'M NOT YELLING, I'M JUST PUTTING MAJOR EMPHASIS O
    Years
  • So I've got some more suggestions.

1) Possibly add an option to change the animated gauges (hp and xp bars) to an instant change. So, instead of the bars moving, it just instantly cuts to the new value.

2) add an option like in Prism (I know, I keep bring it up, but it's a very well made hack) to make changing directions "faster," or more instant. For example, when facing right, if you change to left, your character "steps" left, then moves. This option could make it so you instantly start moving left, without the idle step. Of course, you'd still have to be on a tile to change direction.

3) Maybe make it so when you're running, the walking animation speeds up a bit, so your character doesn't look like he's just walking. This would make it feel more like "running."

Just some more options that could be added :)

Also, it'd be cool to have a B/W style gym leader encounter. You know, where your character's full sprite and the gym leader's clash, and some cool animations happen. That'd be pretty sweet

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Suggestion, Hyper Beam used by the starters morph into the appropriate elemental Hyper Beam. Ain't nobody gonna want to run Normal-type Hyper Beam and the elemental Hyper Beams side-by-side, and you get to have 4 moves in one slot. Make them only able to learn Hyper Beam through a special tutor so that it's still special.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • So I got Cygwin and compiled the latest faithful beta. But when the beta is updated, how do I compile an updated version?

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Would you be able to re-post the link to the current movesets in Polished Crystal?

I'm not sure if this is already in, but Phanpy gets Water Gun via a special event in gen 2. This would be a really cool area-exclusive move, especially if it was near a large body of water.

Last edited:
    Years
  • So, I picked this game up yesterday and I absolutely love it!! The only downside, for me, is that it irks me to play with pokemon that are not genetically their best so I've created a few gameshark codes for this game. I'm not sure what the rules are for posting these things so feel free to remove this comment!! ~Use codes at your own discretion!~ I will be updating this list every so often.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I'm playing the latest build and so far the only bug I've found is that the breeder right outside Ilex Forest always rematches you if you come back. Is this intended?

Now, I guess you could say I have two complaints about two things that don't seem to have changed much from vanilla Crystal. I don't expect anything to be done about this for version 3.0, but it is worth bearing in mind for 4.0. My apologies in advance is this has already been discussed in this thread (I would think so given that these are common complaints about the Johto games). I am not sure why this didn't bother me a year ago, but here it is:

1. The wild Pokemon distribution doesn't seem all that different than vanilla Crystal's. I am up to Ecruteak so far and Pidgey is way too common (and so is Rattata to a lesser extent), while the list of wild Johto Pokemon is pretty short (the ones in parantheses are very rare):

Sentret, Hoothoot, Sunkern, Ledyba, Spinarak, Mareep, Wooper, Snubbull (Teddiursa, Phanpy, Dunsparce, Pineco, Heracross, Yanma)

I know that Johto contains all 100 of its Pokemon in this hack, but only being able to obtain a handful of them halfway through the region is something that has always bothered me about GSC and HGSS. It also makes wild Pokemon encounters pretty boring for the most part. Even making the ones in parantheses less rare would be a nice start. I'd also limit Pidgey/Hoothoot and Rattata/Sentret to the pre-Violet routes, and make them time-dependent like in Route 29.

2. Aside from important trainers, changes to teams are pretty rare. This means that non-gym trainers are underleveled and typically only contain 1-2 Pokemon (at least up to Ecruteak). Again, the Pokemon variety is limited.

If memory serves, Pyrite fixed both of these problems. It would be great if version 4.0 could do the same.

I've also noticed that the new path from Goldenrod to Olivine contains higher leveled wild Pokemon and trainers than Routes 38 and 39 do. Shouldn't the two paths be on par?

Last edited:

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • I'm playing the latest build and so far the only bug I've found is that the breeder right outside Ilex Forest always rematches you if you come back. Is this intended?

Now, I guess you could say I have two complaints about two things that don't seem to have changed much from vanilla Crystal. I don't expect anything to be done about this for version 3.0, but it is worth bearing in mind for 4.0. My apologies in advance is this has already been discussed in this thread (I would think so given that these are common complaints about the Johto games). I am not sure why this didn't bother me a year ago, but here it is:

1. The wild Pokemon distribution doesn't seem all that different than vanilla Crystal's. I am up to Ecruteak so far and Pidgey is way too common (and so is Rattata to a lesser extent), while the list of wild Johto Pokemon is pretty short (the ones in parantheses are very rare):

Sentret, Hoothoot, Sunkern, Ledyba, Spinarak, Mareep, Wooper, Snubbull (Teddiursa, Phanpy, Dunsparce, Pineco, Heracross, Yanma)

I know that Johto contains all 100 of its Pokemon in this hack, but only being able to obtain a handful of them halfway through the region is something that has always bothered me about GSC and HGSS. It also makes wild Pokemon encounters pretty boring for the most part. Even making the ones in parantheses less rare would be a nice start. I'd also limit Pidgey/Hoothoot and Rattata/Sentret to the pre-Violet routes, and make them time-dependent like in Route 29.

2. Aside from important trainers, changes to teams are pretty rare. This means that non-gym trainers are underleveled and typically only contain 1-2 Pokemon (at least up to Ecruteak). Again, the Pokemon variety is limited.

If memory serves, Pyrite fixed both of these problems. It would be great if version 4.0 could do the same.

I've also noticed that the new path from Goldenrod to Olivine contains higher leveled wild Pokemon and trainers than Routes 38 and 39 do. Shouldn't the two paths be on par?
    I believe it's intended to be able to rematch Breeders.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Would you be able to re-post the link to the current movesets in Polished Crystal?

I'm not sure if this is already in, but Phanpy gets Water Gun via a special event in gen 2. This would be a really cool area-exclusive move, especially if it was near a large body of water.

Movesets are in the source code.

Water Gun is actually an egg move for Phanpy (via Wooper/Quagsire or Vaporeon), but I could conceivably give it Bubble Beam or something else it might spray from its trunk. And it did get Absorb as an NYPC event move.

I'm playing the latest build and so far the only bug I've found is that the breeder right outside Ilex Forest always rematches you if you come back. Is this intended?

Pyrite is specifically a difficulty hack, with changes to the battle mechanics that make everything harder. This is meant to be fairly close to the original. My level curve changes have been mostly due to (a) linearizing Johto so Jasmine has to be fought before Pryce (with the order unspecified, Game Freak had to make them all equally weak), and (b) adding new optional areas (so you're expected to gain a bit more experience).

I have tried to make all the Gen 2 Pok?mon and almost all the Gen 1 ones available before the Elite 4, but you're right, their rarities could use adjusting. Don't know how practical it will be to reduce Pidgey/Hoothoot and Rattata/Sentret; most routes need some filler with 7 slots.

Luckily the data tables for wild Pok?mon and NPC trainers can easily be edited in a patch without breaking saves, so I expect to adjust them in updates to 3.0.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    You could make the "filler" Pokemon rarer in later routes.

Maybe Crystal_ will consider making a Hard patch using his work from Pyrite? I'll send him a message.

Edit: Can you get the elemental stones without Bill's grandfather? He is a huge pain and waiting for calls isn't much better.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well color me impressed!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back