• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon R/S/E: Legends

How should the battle system be like?

• Regular but with backgrounds and a few other things added

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Isometric view and have a battle like pokemon stadium/coliseum with arenas and stuff.

Votes: 36 76.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
Years
  • Sigh... this thing is so beautiful! I want it... what an original viewpoint on the Pokémon franchise it is!... literally! XD

Seriously, keep it up, because I'm enjoying this one. Pure eye candy which is something not many games on here can say. The graphics, sprites, buildings.... genius.

Years
  • really nice screens you got there darthjarjar. I think u r game is one of the best games on the site.I wish you luck with ur game.

Years
  • The new route looks alot better than before, and I think it would be great to see some of the pokemon walking around before you battle them.

darthjarjar

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    102, not route 2, remember this is hoenn not kanto.
    i just finished these, this is also an example of how the pokemon should look like:
    Pokémon R/S/E: Legends

might update again tomorrow.

aKaDeMiKs

Kiss my pixels
    Years
  • Looking through your image bucket and them beetle pokemon look great. You've really upped the standard for pokemon game development with the new isometic view and all. Great stuff. Find myself keep coming back to look at the screenies lol.

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    His Photobucket? I'll have to see that.

Oh yeah... That's Me and My one track Mind again... Its 102.

But the Ralts Line looks Cool. As Usual.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • yah, there's tons of good-looking stuff on his photobucket gallery.

oh also, i wanted to ask this long ago, but why did you choose the three least liked pokemon of the 9 from all three generations to be the starters? lol maybe it's just me but i always figured charmander was the star starter of the first gen, totodile the seconds, and treecko the third. anywho, continue the great work.

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Meh. Cyndaquil was the King of Johto. Has anyone got a link to his Photobucket?

With anyluck, DJJ may show us the Wild Grass and Wild Pokemon Battle begginings in action.

darthjarjar

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    Samson said:
    yah, there's tons of good-looking stuff on his photobucket gallery.

oh also, i wanted to ask this long ago, but why did you choose the three least liked pokemon of the 9 from all three generations to be the starters? lol maybe it's just me but i always figured charmander was the star starter of the first gen, totodile the seconds, and treecko the third. anywho, continue the great work.

they arent the least liked(definately not mudkip)
    i picked the first of each generation bulbasaur(1st grass) cyndaquil(2nd fire) mudkip(3rdwater)
    cyndaquil and mudkip owned their generations. totodile tied with cyndaquil while treecko was second best. and im planning something with charmander, squirtle, treecko, and chickortia, totodile i havent thought of yet, and i dont like torchic so that one can be saved for later..but yeah thnx for the comment :)

and maneachicken, in the screens i showed, that is the wild grass, and wild battle beginnings wont be around til later.

Naas02

Cerulean cool trainer
    Years
    • Age 39
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    actually blaziken was the best because of typing but mudkip was the funnest

pepsi.max

[ game designer ]
    Years
  • your maps are defiantly coming along really really well. you no i wouldn't be surprised if nintendo start making games like this.

Waudby

Looking great here Darthjarjar. I have always kept a good eye on this game, one of the better ones on this forums in my opinion. I like the different view you have taken on this, will make people think of more original ways of making pokemon games. Looks very interesting, can i ask, might be already answered, but have you made a working main menu yet?

-Waudby-

darthjarjar

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    not yet, ive been taking some time learning sphere since ive been making alot of maps and indoors, im more better on graphics than the coding, but lately ive been taking my time on that, not rushing any of the major stuff that has to do with coding.

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Well due to the Downtime DJJ should have got lots of Work done!

I Hope to see something soon!

Zack

Arr!
    Years
  • I like the fact that it seems like megaman battle network games when walking around but I have a few suggestions/complaints.

The walking speed is very slow so maybe add running like in other pokemon games?

Ledges need to be jumpable for it to be a true pokemon game, and not having ledges is no fun and ya cant make puzzles/maze areas without ledges!

On route 101 i didn't see any tall grass, will this just be random encounters while on a route or will you add grass after the battle system is done?

Route 101 and other areas seem to have very little spaces that you can enter from, it took me a minute or 2 to find that bit of the path that works to get to route 101.

darthjarjar

Pixel Artist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2010
    (Note: i already answered all these questions already)
    There wasnt any tall grass because there isnt a battle system yet, there wasnt a run system yet, and no jumping over ledges are availible yet.

the demo is old, so ive already fixed all the things that were in there, and the space thing ive also fixed, so dont worry about those things.

Anyway i havent posted anything because im sill gatherin things for a huge update, and oh yeah, the talk problem everyone was talking about is fixed thnx to a friend of mine who figured out the problem. ive also added animated flowers to the game to give maps a better look. And im learning how to make a menu/main menu for the game, and this thing takes time to do, so ill only be able to post some new screens in a few days. so until then

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2006
    Ok your game looks great and all, but I have one major concern. Your battle system. Great idea to use traditional battles, but do you know how hard they are to code?!?!?!?! JavaScript or Ruby, you will have a huge task ahead of you (one so great it has caused many fan game makers to quit their games!). Think about it for a second. Switching Pokemon in a party of six (or less) is hundreds of lines of scripting in itself, let alone any of the other battle mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an attack on you, but you have to stop and think about this. There are so far no working Pokemon CBS' in Ruby (which is a much harder language than JavaScript)...there are in fact very few that even begin to match the Pokemon CBS. This battle mechanic has stumped even the best scripters. What I would advise you to do is get a team of well-studied scripters, sit down and think about how you're going to go about this. It will be a very hard task!!

Anyway, great looking game. I tried your demo and it's very eye pleasing indeed. Continue the great work and take things slow. Game making is a long and hard process (which some people fail to recognise!). Good luck with it all!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back