• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Saga - Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Chaos Rush, do you think these trees in your signature look too small?
    Nope. Looks just fine to me. Even if they're 20% smaller than HG/SS Kanto trees, I want to keep the trees having 2x3 tiles.

I'll start playing as soon as you make a release! From one Emerald hacker to another. If there's any HG/SS Trainer sprites, etc. you want I could help. But, only if you would want it.

Also, if you'd like Maps to be checked, I could compare them with my Japanese copy of SoulSilver, but, than again that may not be needed with SS coming out in America in about 2 weeks.
    It's okay, I'm going to use R/S/E trainer sprites with some FR/LG sprites. For instance, in HG/SS, some trainer sprites are the same as D/P/Pt, such as the Hiker, so in ShadowAmethyst, the Hiker sprite will be the same as R/S/E. In HG/SS, the Lass sprite is different from D/P/Pt, so ShadowAmethyst will use the FR/LG Lass sprite.

And about maps, I've pre-ordered HeartGold. So screenshots will no longer be necessary.

Since you say this isn't a FRLG remake, does that mean you won't have maps exactly like kanto?
    FR/LG isn't the only games that Kanto is in. There's HG/SS. The Kanto in this game is going to look almost exactly like the Kanto in HG/SS, however, some places will be different for plot reasons. For instance, Cinnabar Island will look similar to FR/LG, and Viridian City won't have a Trainer House, Lavender Town will have a haunted tower instead of a radio tower, etc.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Oh, so they are 2x3. They almost look like they're 2x2, but maybe that's just me.
    RSE's trees are also 2x3 but look like 2x2 :D

You're keeping the HGSS feel, that's good.

Last edited:
    Years
    Nope. Looks just fine to me. Even if they're 20% smaller than HG/SS Kanto trees, I want to keep the trees having 2x3 tiles.
    Yeah, I understand what you mean, but Tropical Sunlight is right- the way you have the trees make them look 2x2. They're in the style of the RSE trees, which use 2x3 tiles but could nearly get away with just using the 2x2.

I would suggest trying to make them taller- but I've tried that myself, it's almost impossible to give them height whilst still making them look like the HGSS tree, and if you're happy with them then there's no need to change them, anyway. However... They do look a bit strange in Viridian Forest. They kind of clash with the colours of the ground, or something.
    But again, if you like them, then you're keeping them, obviously.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    The problem is, even though R/S/E/SA trees are 2x3, they appear to be 2x2 because they top of the tree barely uses a third vertical tile. If I filled it up more (like FR/LG trees), then they would look too tall, and not round. Remember, the trees should look round in appearance, not tall like the FR/LG one. I almost wish that HG/SS used the FR/LG tree for Kanto, instead of GameFreak making a new tree.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Since you say this isn't a FRLG remake, does that mean you won't have maps exactly like kanto?

EDIT: 100th post!

It's a HeartGold and SoulSilver prequel. That means the maps will look like they do in that game. The wild Pokemon will be the same, too. It will basically be the Kanto game with HG/SS maps, Pokemon, and a Psudeo-Rival.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    The problem is, even though R/S/E/SA trees are 2x3, they appear to be 2x2 because they top of the tree barely uses a third vertical tile. If I filled it up more (like FR/LG trees), then they would look too tall, and not round. Remember, the trees should look round in appearance, not tall like the FR/LG one. I almost wish that HG/SS used the FR/LG tree for Kanto, instead of GameFreak making a new tree.

I know that the R/S/E trees are 2x3, with a very small top tile, but you can have round looking trees that don't follow 2xsmall3 you know. But, your hack. Kanto wouldnt be too much changed by this, as tiles only affect visionary things, not anything too important (unless there is a major rock!)

Years

Well... That's exactly what I was saying. If you were to make it taller, it would look better, but would be venturing too far from the actual concept. I don't really understand why GameFreak didn't revamp the FRLG Tree, because they did that for several of Kanto's other tilesets (buildings like Silph Co, the Pokemon League Gates and the Pewter City Museum come to mind). Although as Banjora said, you could try changing it... But I recall you saying you want it pixel perfect to HGSS, so.. Yeah, that has to be considered, too:D

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    I've just seen the Kanto trees, and I like them. To be honest, why are you sticking to the R/S/E format again? You want round trees, which you can still achieve in the 2x3 format that FR/LG uses, if you can get the right tiles. Or do what more hackers are doing now, add a side overlap, where it is (kinda) 4x3. May use more tile space, but looks more accurate than now.

Years
    I've just seen the Kanto trees, and I like them. To be honest, why are you sticking to the R/S/E format again? You want round trees, which you can still achieve in the 2x3 format that FR/LG uses, if you can get the right tiles. Or do what more hackers are doing now, add a side overlap, where it is (kinda) 4x3. May use more tile space, but looks more accurate than now.

Well, that's the problem. The Kanto HGSS Trees are almost circular, not just rounded. The only way he can keep the HGSS Tree look is by making the majority of the tree fit into two tiles, or as you said, kinda 4x3, the overlapping-edge style. However, that takes up far too many tiles for mostly insignificant things. Chaos Rush said that he's definately not making them that big, so.. Yeah, that's the deal. It's very difficult to fit the HGSS Kanto tree's width in 2 tiles, whilst sticking to the original design and keeping decent height. So I guess all he can do is keep them this way, even if they do look a bit small.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    It's a HeartGold and SoulSilver prequel. That means the maps will look like they do in that game. The wild Pokemon will be the same, too. It will basically be the Kanto game with HG/SS maps, Pokemon, and a Psudeo-Rival.
    Ya, that pretty much sums it up. However, the wild Pokemon will be slightly different, but eventually I'll hack HeartGold to be in-tune with ShadowAmethyst more.

I want this hack to have a "3rd Generation" feel to it, which is why I'm using scaled-down trees, and R/S/E overworlds (rather than the cartoony FR/LG ones).

Years
    How is Pewter City gonna look? Is the museum going to be two-story like in Red? Is Brock using his HGSS sprite recolored to look like Brock from Fire Red or is he going to have the FR sprite? I like the ROM Hack, HGSS have Kanto alive.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Well this is something new... but since Luminious Yellow is in progress I'm not sure if this hack will be successful.

i look back too this quote and laugh

this is the best and sucessful hack i've seen

and i have seen loads of good ones

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    How is Pewter City gonna look? Is the museum going to be two-story like in Red? Is Brock using his HGSS sprite recolored to look like Brock from Fire Red or is he going to have the FR sprite? I like the ROM Hack, HGSS have Kanto alive.
    It's going to be one-story, like HG/SS, because realistically I doubt people can remove an entire floor in 3 years. And Brock will be using his FR/LG sprite, because that's simply how he looked 3 years before HG/SS.

So how much progress have you gotten made Chaos Rush?
    Viridian Forest. And inserting some guardhouse tiles.

The reason why in the past few days I haven't shown much stuff is because I'm slaking off. I've decided I'm taking a small break, and will resume once I play through HeartGold version. Recently, for my birthday I got to pre-order Sonic Classic Collection and Pokemon HeartGold. Sonic Classic Collection arrived on Friday, so right now I'm heavily obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles. Once HeartGold arrives, I'll get back into Pokemon, and resume this hack.

EDIT: And no, this hack is definitely not dead. To tell you the truth, I finished inserting guardhouse tiles yesterday. I'm still working on it, I'm just making reeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly slow progress at the moment.

this is the best and sucessful hack i've seen

and i have seen loads of good ones
    Really? Why, thank you, but to be honest I'm kinda beginner hacker. I officially started hacking in November, so I doubt that I've made enough progress for this hack to be considered "successful". Heck, I haven't even released the beta yet!

Anyways, I have a question for other Emerald hackers: Most Emerald hacks have "corrupted" voicegroups that makes some instruments sound like 8-bit beeps. Does anyone know what causes this?

hamermaner

Proud member of Team Mew
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    This is a good idea to me, I always thought that Fire Red and Leaf Green was missing something. I'll be playing the Alpha soon, good luck with this man!

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Good news, my copy of HeartGold arrived yesterday. This project is far from dead, once I finish HeartGold (which could take a while, as I'm certainly not doing a speedrun), progress on this hack will resume.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    Okay. Take your time. It's a real fun game. Plus you can see how Kanto looks like for yourself besides maps on the internet.

Pingouin_7

This hack is a hack of Pokémon Emerald, and it re-creates the Kanto region the way it should have been.

I c wut u did thar

The Kanto region was not meant to be like your hack.
    Your rom hack is an unofficial editing of a current game.

Game Freak are the "Game Masters", they're the ones that decide what the game will look like.

But regardless, this looks like a much promising hack, too bad the 3in1 doesn't support RTC.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Where are you in Pokemon Heart Gold now? Are you in Kanto, did you see the changes and additions? I can't wait to see Brock's gym.
    I'm at Blackthorn City.

The Kanto region was not meant to be like your hack.
    Your rom hack is an unofficial editing of a current game.
    Then explain why there's a video game called Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver. You can go into Kanto in those games, and it looks nothing like FR/LG. Like you said, they decide what Kanto looks like, so I'm doing a hack to reflect their most recent revision to Kanto.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back