• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Strawberry -- Need Help With Getting Started

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Hi, everyone. I would like to create my own ROM hack called Pokémon Strawberry. However, I am having a lot of trouble understanding assembly, and need someone to help me understand what to do (i.e.: write things down in "step 1, step 2" format). Here are my questions.

1. How do I edit the title screen? I've looked at some relatively outdated tutorials for this, but I don't see anything about how to do it the assembly way. (for example, I would like the title screen to have a pink background, read "Pokémon Strawberry Version", and have a Mew in the middle of the screen)

2. How do I make being a girl the default trainer? As in, I don't want there to be a choice between being a girl or a boy.

3. How do I add new moves and move animations?

4. How do I add/change types?

5. How do I add in custom sprites (e.g.: new Pokémon, overworld sprite for the player, new trainer sprites and gym layouts?)

6. How do I add in modern cries for post-Gen II Pokémon?

7. How do I compile the ROM to test it and/or play it? I know RGBDS has something to do with it, but I'm struggling with figuring it out.

8. Do my notes in assembly have to be on github for the compilation to work?

9. Who can help with the debugging/balancing aspect of the game? I want this game to be rather polished upon completion.

Thank you so much for your help in advance--for anyone who helps with these tutorials, I'll credit you for them! I really hope that I get to make this into what I'm visualizing. I look forward to hearing back from anyone.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • why would you not want boys playing it?

just because they want to remove the choice of gender, and force a female playthrough doesn't mean they don't want boys playing.
    Could be a story element, and they've decided their protagonist is a female. It's not unheard of.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    thank you for explaining that so i didn't have to--it's part of the story that the player is indeed a girl! of course, any and everyone can play.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    I can't help with a lot of these, but I'll do my best to provide you with whatever info I can.
    First and foremost I would recommend just reading through the "beginner's directory" in rom hacking help.

3/4. Info for the type changing and moves can be found in the pokecrystal wiki - both are fairly easy to do, and it's even easy to replace moves (IE remove fury attack from the game's code and replace it with moonblast or what have you) if you follow the "add a move" tutorial on the wiki
    5. I personally haven't tried editing any sprites other than pokemon front and backsprites, and have done some replacements. Again, this step mirrors the "add a pokemon" tutorial on the pokecrystal wiki. For replacing moves or pokemon, there's an extra step of looking through both the parties.asm files associated with both normal trainer battles and the battle tower and replacing the relevant moves/mon.
    9. Try the launchpad forum.

Hope this helps!

Back