• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Sun & Moon Officially Announced [Summary of news here!]

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    He did this last time with the recent video that was released. I think it's just a way to raise awareness and inform everyone with there being so many different timezones to avoid confusion.

What's interesting to me is that I don't remember XY getting as much hype that SM have been getting. That, or my memory's faulty. Pokemon has made me feel old.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    What's interesting to me is that I don't remember XY getting as much hype that SM have been getting. That, or my memory's faulty. Pokemon has made me feel old.
    Nah, they got their hype. They were hyped as the 'evolution of Pokemon'. Gen V was hyped as a 'reboot'. This Gen has kind of been hyped as 'everything comes together'.

Years
    5th Gen felt like a reboot in that it started the trend of basing regions off of non-Japanese locations, and it had a lot of 3D rendering, especially by DS standards. 6th Gen being the "evolution" made sense given Pokemon moved into full 3D with this generation. Maybe we might hear in a future piece of news on what the "it all comes together" is supposed to mean?

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Like I've mentioned before, Hawaii in real life has ties to Japan, France, and the US. So in a sense, that could mean Alola might have ties to all past regions. Not to mention that the SM Legendaries are representations, so far, of two celestial bodies that would effect everyone and not just Alola.

I know some of you are worried that by this suggestion it would rob Alola of its identity... but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't have to. Hawaii still has its own culture running strong while having ties to other countries in the course of its history. It's also a major destination for tourists, so yeah, it's a whole melting pot in of itself.

Years
    I do wonder if that's what Game Freak means by "it all comes together"? A region that looks like it could have ties to all the past regions?

blue

gucci
    Years
    It's either going to have lots of throwbacks to past generations or it is literally just a figure of speech to hype up the announcement. Initially I was thinking that it meant there will be references, features and all sorts that connects Sun & Moon to past games. After seeing the trailer and discovering more.. I'm not so sure. We don't know anywhere near enough about these games to say for sure so there's always the possibility, but the capability of the 3DS is what springs to mind when talking about an over abundance of features and even multiple Regions.

It could mean we will be seeing returning characters from each Region or perhaps it was just a term to highlight the fact that you can transfer Pokemon from R/B/Y (Gen I) to Sun & Moon (Gen VII) making the cycle pretty much complete. Regardless the upcoming news will hopefully shed some light onto this theory and obviously as the months go on we will find out more of the games and how/if they do tie into past generations.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    It's hard for me to say what else we may get other than the Legendary info; but I'm willing to bet that we may get a full map of Alola as well. Amazon implicates multiple islands, and they haven't gone back to change the game description which means it was most likely not a type-o.

Also, I'm looking back in Serebii's news archives about BW's and XY's reveals during their pre-release periods. In June, there was a butt-ton of info between CoroCoro and E3 both times. There were new Pokemon revealed, a couple gameplay trailers, and quite a few screenshots.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I highly doubt we'll be short of news for June.

First off we have the announcement at the beginning of the month on the 2nd. Following that CoroCoro should leak just over a week which may just reflect and touch on what is going to be revealed in the first announcement. Then there will be E3 which is their main attraction and presumably when they will reveal even further information if previous years are anything to go by. By the time E3 comes around will approximately be the halfway point between the official announcement and release date, so hopefully they've been saving a great deal of information for that event.

Years
    I highly doubt we'll be short of news for June.

First off we have the announcement at the beginning of the month on the 2nd. Following that CoroCoro should leak just over a week which may just reflect and touch on what is going to be revealed in the first announcement. Then there will be E3 which is their main attraction and presumably when they will reveal even further information if previous years are anything to go by. By the time E3 comes around will approximately be the halfway point between the official announcement and release date, so hopefully they've been saving a great deal of information for that event.

Unfortunately we can't speculate E3 because it was already confirmed the only Nintendo presentation will be the new Zelda game for both Wii U and NX. We'll likely have to wait for CoroCoro to reveal stuff that may not be revealed in next week's presumed trailer.

Years
    Out of curiosity, did X/Y get shown at 2013's E3? Or ORAS at 2014's E3 by any chance? If not, then I'm pretty cynical about Nintendo showing any details about S/M at this year's E3.

We did get a bit of X/Y stuff shown, such as a few new Pokemon getting revealed and the official announcement of the Fairy-type. Can't remember much about OR/AS though.

Like my last post, there will likely be nothing to do with S/M shown at this year's event because it was confirmed only the new Zelda game is all that's getting showcased.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Out of curiosity, did X/Y get shown at 2013's E3? Or ORAS at 2014's E3 by any chance? If not, then I'm pretty cynical about Nintendo showing any details about S/M at this year's E3.

For X/Y E3 had a couple of gameplay trailers, the release date announcement and Junichi Masuda revealed Honedge. ORAS had the first gameplay footage, the release date announcement and the reveal of Mega Sableye. As for E3 announcements, I'm still fairly confident there will be other news on upcoming titles for both 3DS and Wii U. Their focus is the new Zelda game, though that's the only playable game at the conference meaning there's still the chance of other games getting atleast a mention. There's going to be a conference in the style of a Nintendo Direct I presume, surely that's not going to be just focused on one Zelda game? If that's the case then that is a really bad move by Nintendo.

Years
    For X/Y E3 had a couple of gameplay trailers, the release date announcement and Junichi Masuda revealed Honedge. ORAS had the first gameplay footage, the release date announcement and the reveal of Mega Sableye. As for E3 announcements, I'm still fairly confident there will be other news on upcoming titles for both 3DS and Wii U. Their focus is the new Zelda game, though that's the only playable game at the conference meaning there's still the chance of other games getting atleast a mention. There's going to be a conference in the style of a Nintendo Direct I presume, surely that's not going to be just focused on one Zelda game? If that's the case then that is a really bad move by Nintendo.

That's what I dread, a Zelda-focused Direct. It's like Nintendo are trying to make you forget other games so you can get hyped for this new game and the NX.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I know Zelda is really popular, but so is Pokemon and hopefully E3 will give us at least two minutes of it's time. :|

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    To be fair, E3 is dying down as less and less companies care for it. So Zelda being the main focus makes sense. For Example, Activison and another company( can't think of who atm), are not doing an E3 show either. Also day 1 of E3 has a Nintendo Direct listed, so we shall see what comes of that. There is also several unannounced leaked games for Nintendo such as N Stars, so we will see what happens there.

And honestly you shouldn't fret over E3. It's losing it's appeal. No company needs E3 in this day and age. It's why they limited passes for non press, why you see less of a focus on it, and more. Also outside of the core internet, no one really knows of E3. I've known many gamers who had no idea what that was( and they were big gamers) until I told them. And most on the internet don't really know of it either. a lot of people will just check their preferred news site for news everyday, rather then watch live.

Another thing to consider, the gaming community has a massive casual fanbase. The core fans always underestimate the size of the casuals. Just look at Smash bros. Bayonneta is a big casual character that people who just played games loved, hence why she won the ballot. The core fanbase didn't think of it though, and were angry at first.

But my point there, is that companies like Nintendo are starting to realize that they don't need to waste time and money on E3 to sell their products.

Let's look at our first Sun and Moon info. We get a big trailer the size of XY's XY had an entire direct to build up that trailer. This time, all Masuda did,, was announce that news was coming on twitter, and setup a countdown for every language to used, and just reminded people every few days. The announcement spread like wild fire across twitter and other medias. The reveal was streamed by poketubers and had as many, if not more people aware of it then XY's Direct. The hype even seemed to reach to higher levels. This form of announcing stuff is probably why Masuda's doing it again. Nintendo is probably realizing that this is a pretty good way of doing things and I wouldn't be surprised to see it used again.

It's why Zelda is the main event at E3. It's a big title that always makes lots of money and has been wanted by fans for a long time. So now they are giving out details at E3, so they have a draw, but they don't to make their show anything else, as they have many ways to reveal info. I also wouldn't put it past them to focus more on the Tokyo Game show instead of E3 in future.

So to sum it up, don't be upset by their E3 lineup, it's just not a venue that screams big anymore, so companies are becoming less and less interested in it, and finding other ways to announce news.

Years
    Let's look at our first Sun and Moon info. We get a big trailer the size of XY's XY had an entire direct to build up that trailer. This time, all Masuda did,, was announce that news was coming on twitter, and setup a countdown for every language to used, and just reminded people every few days. The announcement spread like wild fire across twitter and other medias. The reveal was streamed by poketubers and had as many, if not more people aware of it then XY's Direct. The hype even seemed to reach to higher levels. This form of announcing stuff is probably why Masuda's doing it again. Nintendo is probably realizing that this is a pretty good way of doing things and I wouldn't be surprised to see it used again.

Zoro has a good point here, this type of announcement seems to be working heavily and that's why I have been seeing even more hype for these games compared to X/Y. And as he also mentioned, E3 is not as big as it used to be and some companies are actually skipping the event altogether, and for those that do attend they are only showing very minimal information, so it was no surprise that there will only be the new Zelda game showcased.

Reactions: Z25

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I know we don't really need E3 to get new Poke news, but I kinda hope we see something on there anyway, just for the fun of it. It's always amusing to see all the hype from the E3 crowds and people watching it on social media, haha. It's a shame that it's popularity is dying.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    XY's E3 section of the Direct also had the reveal of the fairy type and new showed some of the ones who gained the type from past gens, irc.

Back