• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 25, 2017
    I'm not exactly sure how I'd go about doing this. A quick search didn't pull up anything on how to remove that restriction. Even if I could, I don't know how it'd affect Trainers in indoor areas.

Exactly. Trainers indoors/in caves are not set up for the vs seeker, not for re-battling in general. You'd have to modify all of those trainers' scripts.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Exactly. Trainers indoors/in caves are not set up for the vs seeker, not for re-battling in general. You'd have to modify all of those trainers' scripts.
    I'd figure as much. It'd have been interesting if there were unused rebattles for Trainers located indoors, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Hi Richtersnipes thanks for replying early. Sorry I said thanks very late. And also can you have the repel system and the reusable tm patch in different patches please. Because when every I use the extra patch on other game hack it causes a glitch. Thanks for reading and the amazing hack.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Hi Richtersnipes thanks for replying early. Sorry I said thanks very late. And also can you have the repel system and the reusable tm patch in different patches please. Because when every I use the extra patch on other game hack it causes a glitch. Thanks for reading and the amazing hack.
    Don't worry about it!

It sounds like what you're asking me to do is to make those two features (revised Repel system and reusable TMs) compatible with other various ROM hacks you're playing. Unfortunately, that's not my job to do. I'm strictly focused on Throwback over here, not making other people's implemented features functional in whatever ROM hack someone might want to use.

The best - and correct - thing to do would be for you to look up each feature's respective thread and for you to implement them yourself. Both of these (or, at the very least, the Repel system) will require you to insert new scripts or ASM routines into free space, and available free space will vary from hack to hack. Determine what places in the ROM are free for you to put those extra parts in, and edit the rest of the game's code as instructed to get it all working.

Revised Repel System by Darthatron
    Reusable TMs by FBI; cleanest way to implement, bug fix 1, bug fix 2

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    What are the odds of you making something like a difficulty patch? This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I was also hoping for a game with an increased level of difficulty throughout.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I got my new laptop recently, and I'm relieved to say that Sappy is working on it! I've made even more progress with the music, and I'm personally excited about it. I squashed two longstanding issues I've had with accuracy (I updated the OP about them in the process). I also quickly added in the Game Boy Printer music as the Mystery Connection tune. I'm quickly reaching the point where I'm willing to be fully satisfied with what I've done with the 8-Bit music and just let it be. Until then, I've still got a few things to do with it.

Long time no see!

Very excited to hear that you're getting closer to the accuracy you wanted with the music. As a curiosity, were you able to reproduce the OW and menu sound effects like the sound for jumping over ledges and such? They're minor things, but I think they improve the experience. Maybe I've mentioned this before in this thread, because I'm getting a bit a deja vu as I type this.

Hit me up if you need any help! Keep up the awesome work!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Long time no see!

Very excited to hear that you're getting closer to the accuracy you wanted with the music. As a curiosity, were you able to reproduce the OW and menu sound effects like the sound for jumping over ledges and such? They're minor things, but I think they improve the experience. Maybe I've mentioned this before in this thread, because I'm getting a bit a deja vu as I type this.

Hit me up if you need any help! Keep up the awesome work!
    Hey!

You did bring this up before, and it's something I've been going back and forth through my head for a bit now. Non-fanfare sound effects in Gen. 1 games use a completely different file structure. I have no idea how to decipher it. Not to mention that many sound effects use duty shifting to create odd sounds. Duty shifting is a feature that only appears in games whose sound engines are specifically built to have it, such as the GB(C) Pokémon games. It's impossible to properly reproduce in games using the AGB/Sappy sound engine, as the engine doesn't support it.

For those two specific sounds, I think I'll be able to reproduce them natively. The question is whether or not to go about it in the first place. If I start to change them, I'll want to go further than just those two. Really, this update is me closing the books on the hack. Once it comes out, all I'll be doing is bug fixes and minor refinements (unless someone else wants to come in and do some work for me). Putting that into perspective, I feel really discouraged from wanting to do anything else ambitious like sound effects. I just feel that starting to go down that path would quickly become a defeating road. Primarily for the two reasons listed above, but also because of attacks having heavily changed their animations between generations.

I did put in a sound effect from a specific move from Gen. 1, though. But not in battle, it'll replace a fanfare. It sounds close enough to right and I can't really get it to sound much better myself, so I'm content with it. And even then, that one was one of the simplest sound effects.

Years
  • Mr. Richter, nice hack man, your abilities are great :D
    I was thinking if you can make a patch that put the gen VI cries to all Pokémon?
    By the way, keep the good work man haha amd sorry for my bad emglish. I'm from Brazil :v

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Mr. Richter, nice hack man, your abilities are great :D
    I was thinking if you can make a patch that put the gen VI cries to all Pokémon?
    By the way, keep the good work man haha amd sorry for my bad emglish. I'm from Brazil :v
    Thanks! And don't worry, I've seen many native English speakers do worse than you! :)

I'd be open to making those cries an option. It'll all depend on if I'm able to obtain high quality cries of the Pokémon from some source. I'd have to guess that people are able to pry open the 3DS Pokémon games by now given all of the hacking and homebrew that scene is seeing. I also want to wait and see if someone is able to dump and convert the cries from Pokémon Go, assuming they're stored client-side. Maybe their quality's higher in that than they are in the 3DS games. I can't say, as I haven't played the 3DS Pokémon games and thus can't compare the two.

Years
  • Thanks! And don't worry, I've seen many native English speakers do worse than you! :)

I'd be open to making those cries an option. It'll all depend on if I'm able to obtain high quality cries of the Pokémon from some source. I'd have to guess that people are able to pry open the 3DS Pokémon games by now given all of the hacking and homebrew that scene is seeing. I also want to wait and see if someone is able to dump and convert the cries from Pokémon Go, assuming they're stored client-side. Maybe their quality's higher in that than they are in the 3DS games. I can't say, as I haven't played the 3DS Pokémon games and thus can't compare the two.
    Thanks for replying so soon haha. I understand, its really hard to find an open source about that :/
    I didn't played Pokémon Go yet, and i didn't know there was cries heheh, thanks for letting me know :v

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Done with refining the music, now on to something else. I thought I'd leave a teaser of something I got working recently:

Teleporter.gif

Thanks to jiangzhengwenjzw's work for making this possible!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    That's so amazing and brilliant and how you actually got the evolution trade it's awesome.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Done with refining the music, now on to something else. I thought I'd leave a teaser of something I got working recently:

sg2eaQ8.gif

Thanks to jiangzhengwenjzw's work for making this possible!

I'm very impressed. Such a great way of implementing it seamlessly with the existing world that I have never even thought of. Awesome idea to do it this way.

Also, I replied to your PM. Been inactive of late, sorry for the delay.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 24, 2020
    I found out about your romhack today, played it for a while and I gotta say it's one of the best ones I have tried out for FR/LG, it's incredible how the changes you made make this game so much better.

The GB sounds is awesome and makes the journey so much enjoyable, just like it did in HG/SS (why Nintendo didn't include a GBA sounds in ORAS is beyond me and it upsets quite a bit), the wardrobe and decapitalization, as well as the "other" patches make it all the better and let's not even mention the Gotta Catch'em All patch.

So, all in all, I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this and constantly updating! This is just what I was looking for for a long time; to me, this is the definitive Fire Red experience.

Just wanted to tell you that you made a long time Pokémon Fan happy as all hell! Thanks again ^^

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Thank you everybody for the kind comments! This is how I've always wanted to implement trade-evolution simulation, and the fact that I can't think of another instance of where someone's done it like this by now is shocking to me. Obviously, if any other hacks did this in the past I'll be gladly corrected, but you have no idea how happy I am to have this working so smoothly and quickly.

I'll be honest about it: I actually only have it fully working for the trade-evolved Gen. 1 Pokémon as of right now. I don't know how I want to approach this for Pokémon who also need to be holding a specific item to evolve. I don't think I'll be able to implement it literally, as that'd require both checking to see if the Pokémon is holding a specific item and then to make that item disappear from that Pokémon after evolution. Neither of which I know how to do.

Right now I'm thinking that my best bet would be to have the game check if you have that item in your own inventory alongside a compatible Pokémon, and then remove it from your inventory. I'm not fully satisfied with that solution, though, as it doesn't feel like the item would actually be put into use to trigger the evolution like it should. Just that it'd be a token to let you do it.

Will future updates be compatible with existing saves?
    Native saves? Either "Yes" or "Yes*", depending on how I have the 8-bit music be accesible. I'd like to make it an actual in-game option like in other, non-Pokémon video games. If I can't, it'll remain through the item. If I'm able to make it an option, the asterisk will apply because then you'll have a nothing item in your Key Items pocket (assuming you have the GB Player from a previous version).

Save states are a different matter. If you have 8-bit music playing in them from a previous version, they won't be compatible and will crash the game upon loading them. That's because I completely rebuilt the foundation for the 8-bit music for the upcoming update. You can work around that by switching back to the FR/LG soundtrack and saving over the states before updating,

I found out about your romhack today, played it for a while and I gotta say it's one of the best ones I have tried out for FR/LG, it's incredible how the changes you made make this game so much better.

The GB sounds is awesome and makes the journey so much enjoyable, just like it did in HG/SS (why Nintendo didn't include a GBA sounds in ORAS is beyond me and it upsets quite a bit), the wardrobe and decapitalization, as well as the "other" patches make it all the better and let's not even mention the Gotta Catch'em All patch.

So, all in all, I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this and constantly updating! This is just what I was looking for for a long time; to me, this is the definitive Fire Red experience.

Just wanted to tell you that you made a long time Pokémon Fan happy as all hell! Thanks again ^^
    Aww, thanks! I never really think about my hack potentially leaving that much of an impact on people, but posts like this remind me that it certainly can. I'm happy to have been able to provide you a great Kanto experience with Throwback! :)

As for the GB Sounds... well, let's just say that I have a differing opinion on it. For anyone who's interested, click the Spoiler tag for a rant.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Aww yeeaah. Regarding the held-item trade evolution, I found a post by Jambo51 that might be of use..? http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=6763464#post6763464
    I looked at that a long time ago when considering how to implement this. There's a big problem, though: I don't think anyone has discovered where the routine for triggering trade evolution is. Jambo51 found the routines used to check if a Pokémon meets the criteria for evolving, and JPAN found the routines to trigger evolution after battle or through using an item. Even if someone found it, it'll only work properly if called after a trade is completed. Thus that routine would need to be found and modified to work outside of a trade, something that I'm entirely incapable of doing and that no one is probably interested in figuring out how to do.

As I made note in my prior post, I'm using jiangzhengwenjzw's evolution trigger ASM routines to get these Pokémon to evolve. They force evolution to another species without checking any sort of criteria. I can set criteria outside of it, but my issue is that my skill set would limit me to criteria through script commands. There aren't any script commands for checking a Pokémon's held item, as far as I know.

Back