• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    Are you sure you were in area 3? I remember that I found those mons in the right places.
    See:

Hey so I eventually found a Tauros in Area 3, but I did find more Pinsir as I looked. I have recently (past 36hr?) familiarizing myself with the tools of hacking ROMs and trying to script a single player BERRY CRUSH (turns out I spent waaaaaaaay too much energy trying to figure that out because the special function has the wifi connection check hardwired into it. The back up plan was to take your berries with a scripted signpost in the Poke Center floor 2 and give a random amount of powder, but apparently there is no script way to add powder to the powder jar. The main reason for all this is that berry powder is the only repeatable way of obtaining PP UP, and the simple solution was to add PP UP with ONE line of code to the Celadon Department store clerk that sold HP UP......)

I just took an unmodified ROM (one line of code wow just wow that was a lot of time... sorry) and used an Android app to apply the IPS patch for the Unofficial Pokemon Throwback v180715 to it.

I have attached three images from VAPE and Advance Map (AM). In the two AM screen caps you can see that I have opened Safari Zone Area 3 (the goal building in the upper left corner of the area) and then I switched to the Wild Pokemon tab on that tab you can see Pinsir is present just above Tauros as I posited earlier.

The screen cap of Sandslash in YAPE is to address another glitch I have come across. Sandslash does not hold the Soft Sand as expected but the Quick Claw instead.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    For Safari Zone Area 3 from Bulbapedia:

Spoiler:
    In Advance Map Wild Pokemon tab there are only 12 slots that can be used and each one has a set percentage that Pokemon will appear using the following set up we can achieve relatively the same as if we split the difference between the versions (for the most part):

Spoiler:
    Thoughts? chances this will be fixed? Should I put this somewhere else?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    Are you sure you were in area 3? I remember that I found those mons in the right places.
    See:

Hey so I eventually found a Tauros in Area 3, but I did find more Pinsir as I looked. I have recently (past 36hr?) familiarizing myself with the tools of hacking ROMs and trying to script a single player BERRY CRUSH (turns out I spent waaaaaaaay too much energy trying to figure that out because the special function has the wifi connection check hardwired into it. The back up plan was to take your berries with a scripted signpost in the Poke Center floor 2 and give a random amount of powder, but apparently there is no script way to add powder to the powder jar. The main reason for all this is that berry powder is the only repeatable way of obtaining PP UP, and the simple solution was to add PP UP with ONE line of code to the Celadon Department store clerk that sold HP UP......)

I just took an unmodified ROM (one line of code wow just wow that was a lot of time... sorry) and used an Android app to apply the IPS patch for the Unofficial Pokemon Throwback v180715 to it.

I have attached three images from VAPE and Advance Map (AM). In the two AM screen caps you can see that I have opened Safari Zone Area 3 (the goal building in the upper left corner of the area) and then I switched to the Wild Pokemon tab on that tab you can see Pinsir is present just above Tauros as I posited earlier.

The screen cap of Sandslash in YAPE is to address another glitch I have come across. Sandslash does not hold the Soft Sand as expected but the Quick Claw instead.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    In the download there is a folder called ASM with three files (Umbreon.asm, rtc.asm, and Espeon.asm), but there are no instructions on how to use them. I assume they are for implementation of the day night system so we could evolve Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, but I don't want to mess anything up.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2018
    Pokemon Stadium's Pokémon cries
    You can retrieve it by selecting "pokemon stadium (speech)" of "N64 sound tool".

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    Hey folks,
    I have gotten most of the Pokemon but I still need to evolve Eevee via day/night high friendship and I need to get the two other legendary beasts (some call them legendary dogs), but I do not know how to go about it because they are not available in the vanilla FireRed.

Do I just keep looking for the Legendary Beasts like I did for the first? Do I need to beat the E4 again first?

Also how do I activate the day night cycle?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    I investigated the Legendary Beasts and managed to caputure them all.

Spoiler:

Can anyone assist with the day/night system? I don't know how to turn it on. It is the last thing I need to finish my national dex. Do I need to find my own room hack to apply to the ROM? Or is there a flag I need to change or an NPC I need to talk to?

blitz_2k

Kabe
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Is this finished? does it have P/S split? Does it have post game content like a battle tower?

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    Anybody know where Gligar and Skarmory are? I'm only missing them and extra evolution items to evolve Poliwhirl, Seadra, and Onix.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2020
    Thought of using my 13-year old Fire Red-save on this and it seems to be working fine - but apparently importing in saves obviously won't allow GB Sounds to appear on my Bag due how I've never owned it before. Anyway to acquire this in-game without having to restart all over?

Years
  • Thought of using my 13-year old Fire Red-save on this and it seems to be working fine - but apparently importing in saves obviously won't allow GB Sounds to appear on my Bag due how I've never owned it before. Anyway to acquire this in-game without having to restart all over?

I think if you apply the Throwback Save Compatibility patch and use it with a .sav file started in regular FireRed you can get the GB Sounds item from an NPC, but I don't know that for sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2020
    I think if you apply the Throwback Save Compatibility patch and use it with a .sav file started in regular FireRed you can get the GB Sounds item from an NPC, but I don't know that for sure.

When was this NPC-thing mentioned? I tried to search for similar yesterday around this forum yet found nothing.

@RichterSnipes you got anything on this?

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2020
    Tried other ways to acquire GB Sounds, but the individual patch for it doesn't seem to do anything... while trying to import the item in from the Italian version with it's own custom patch that lets you get GB Sounds from interacting with NES, makes the item become corrupt imported back to international English FireRed:

CUvoAHF.png

Anyway someone could maybe replicate the script from Italian patch to English versions to let GB Sounds be acquired?

Last edited:
    Years
  • When was this NPC-thing mentioned? I tried to search for similar yesterday around this forum yet found nothing.

RichterSnipes quit updating Throwback; he left tkim in charge of updating Throwback on his behalf.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2020
    RichterSnipes quit updating Throwback; he left tkim in charge of updating Throwback on his behalf.

Aaah, alright.

Anyway, I managed to finally transfer GB Sounds via A-Save, but I think for the sake of future players with similar situation, we could apply an event to get it from NES-console at player's house like the Italian translation patch does.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    Can Chronosplit's Pokemon Throwback: FR251 Addendum patch still be applied to this updated version without any problems?

Nvm I found the answer already. (Yes to the bugfixed official, no to the unofficial continuation.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    I'm a bit confused. On the Romhacking website it says that this "unofficial throwback" is an addendum patch, does that mean it needs to be applied to a ROM patched with the official throwback already? Or does it work on a clean ROM too?

Also how exactly do I pick the patches I want and don't want (like in the bugfixed/official I could leave out decapitalization for example).

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • So... I'm back. No, not back back, but I am here again.

It looks like things have changed around here a bit since I was last around. Heck, some... stuff appeared to go down not long before my final post here. What I'll say is that the only thing that represents me on this website are the messages I myself have posted, and even then those don't come close to fully describing my full personality. Especially not nowadays.

It also looks like tkim hasn't been around here for nearly half a year. I never meant to ghost on him, or anyone here. Hacking just hasn't been a part of my life for awhile now. But I feel especially bad that I didn't respond to him before his big update on June 26. I told him that I felt bad that his version was titled "Unofficial Throwback," and that something more appealing would be more appealing. It also stings that I can't consult him on the various updates and changes he made to Throwback in my absence. I've been haunted by the idea of major bugs existing in more accurate emulators and real hardware. It sounds like tkim fixed the major ones that were still around, but now I can't ask him about what exactly he did concerning them.

Here's what I'll say: I can't promise anything regarding the future of Throwback. I can't say that I'll get back to posting regularly here, or even logging in to PokeCommunity regularly. But I do promise that Throwback will continue to be available for download for those who want it. I'll make sure that tkim's version will continue to be available for download, too.

If things work out, and I find the time and will to get back to working on the hack, I'd like to fully standardize the fixes tkim made and catalog them the way I have with everything else in my documentation and source up to the point I stopped working on Throwback. I'd also like to determine how best I can broaden my horizons on the principles and features of Throwback to best suit potential users. If this is meant to be "Kanto, Your Way", then I could potentially see fit to include changes that I might not have fully agreed with in the past.

But all of those things in that last paragraph are big "ifs". I want this to be better than what it is, but I also want expectations to be level and realistic.

Hope everyone's doing well.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
  • I'm a bit confused. On the Romhacking website it says that this "unofficial throwback" is an addendum patch, does that mean it needs to be applied to a ROM patched with the official throwback already? Or does it work on a clean ROM too?

Also how exactly do I pick the patches I want and don't want (like in the bugfixed/official I could leave out decapitalization for example).
    I'm not sure why it's listed under "addendum" over there. Chronosplit's patch is an addendum, but tkim's version is the whole thing. Just apply his patch and nothing else if you want to play with his version.

It doesn't look like there's options to pick and choose various features in his version. Outside of editing things in it yourself, of course, but I don't think that's what you meant. :laugh-squinted:

When was this NPC-thing mentioned? I tried to search for similar yesterday around this forum yet found nothing.

If you're using the official version of Throwback and you applied the Save Compatibility patch, speak to the receptionist on the 2nd floor of any Pokemon Center to fix up anything in your imported save, including the missing GB Sounds item.

I feel like the same could work with tkim's version, but I can't say for sure.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2019
    So... I'm back.

Welcome back! Seeing your comment got me really excited. I hope you do pick up this project again and if you do, best of luck! I can't wait to see any future updates coming from you!

I'm not sure why it's listed under "addendum" over there. Chronosplit's patch is an addendum, but tkim's version is the whole thing. Just apply his patch and nothing else if you want to play with his version.

It doesn't look like there's options to pick and choose various features in his version. Outside of editing things in it yourself, of course, but I don't think that's what you meant. :laugh-squinted:

Alright, thanks! I just don't understand why every rom hack has decapitalization nowadays, I simply don't like it haha. It feels off and takes away some of the nostalgia for me personally. Anyway, you jokingly mentioned editing but I'm curious, how hard would that actually be? I wouldn't mind getting into rom hacking if it's not too crazy, I just need a place to start.

Years
  • Welcome back! Seeing your comment got me really excited. I hope you do pick up this project again and if you do, best of luck! I can't wait to see any future updates coming from you!

Alright, thanks! I just don't understand why every rom hack has decapitalization nowadays, I simply don't like it haha. It feels off and takes away some of the nostalgia for me personally. Anyway, you jokingly mentioned editing but I'm curious, how hard would that actually be? I wouldn't mind getting into rom hacking if it's not too crazy, I just need a place to start.

It's possible most romhacks now are decapitalized to slightly modernize the old base games, since most in-game text in Pokemon games since about gen 4-5 isn't all caps.

Also, welcome back RichterSnipes. I'm fairly new to PokeCommunity, but I've enjoyed the results of your work while you were gone.

Back