• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Maybe a silly request, but can you decap the start menu? because i think it's inconsistent with the other thing because they already decapitalized except the start menu

I think RichterSnipes intentionally kept the Start Menu capped, but I'll take another look at the reasoning and if I'm willing, I will make the change for Unofficial Throwback only.

RE Bird type: I actually thought that was a localization thing meant to reference Missingno's typing.

Nope; it was also fixed in the Japanese FireRed/LeafGreen versions.

It's a minor thing to ask, but is there a patch for the earlier title screen with both Venusaur and Charizard? It just fit so well to have both since you can get mons that were exclusive to the vanilla games in this one hack.

I will consider adding it only for Unofficial Throwback as it was decided not to use the title screen in later releases.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 6, 2022
A new update for Throwback? Awesome. It's nice to see that this hack is being developed still.

This is one of my favorite pokemon romhacks.

I love that this hack brings a bunch of convenient, QoL features from later games (e.g., running indoors, infinite TM usage) but tries to stay true to the original spirit of the game by not adding any radical changes (e.g., adding pokemon past Gen III, Mega Evolutions, fairy type).

Keep up the good work, tkim!

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Minor text error, but Gamer's text in battle comes up as Gamerer. For ex. 'Gamerer Jasper is about to use Oddish.'

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
A new update for Throwback? Awesome. It's nice to see that this hack is being developed still.

This is one of my favorite pokemon romhacks.

I love that this hack brings a bunch of convenient, QoL features from later games (e.g., running indoors, infinite TM usage) but tries to stay true to the original spirit of the game by not adding any radical changes (e.g., adding pokemon past Gen III, Mega Evolutions, fairy type).

Keep up the good work, tkim!

Thanks!

Minor text error, but Gamer's text in battle comes up as Gamerer. For ex. 'Gamerer Jasper is about to use Oddish.'

Which version are you playing and/or what patches have you used?

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 29, 2019
Hi, I'm new here.
First of all thanks very much for the roms!
I'm just a nostalgic 1st gen pokemon (used to play red/blue). But prefer a hundred times the firered features, even open for 1-4 islands.
I'm after a rom that allows to get the first 150 with a solo-playing game, so I suppose this is the hack.
I have the gba4ios app and downloaded the was just wonder few things:
1. Can i get all pokemons in solo? I want to have all 150 pokemons in the PC at the same time (meaning have 1 kabuto, 1 kabutops, 1 omanyte, 1omastar...) Is that possible?
Especially wondering about
- Eeveelutions (can it be catched in the wild so i can have all vaporeon, jolteon and flareon?)
- Fossiles (can i find kaputo / omanyte somewhere?)

2. Is there a place where i can see where to find these pokemons? I see there is a document but it seems to be uncomplete:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVfvwHcbATxCBQdQIhcCVb7IrwlISWDePJbJZZ8w_DE/edit

Thanks VERY much, hope to hear any answers

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Hi, I'm new here.
First of all thanks very much for the roms!
I'm just a nostalgic 1st gen pokemon (used to play red/blue). But prefer a hundred times the firered features, even open for 1-4 islands.
I'm after a rom that allows to get the first 150 with a solo-playing game, so I suppose this is the hack.
I have the gba4ios app and downloaded the was just wonder few things:
1. Can i get all pokemons in solo? I want to have all 150 pokemons in the PC at the same time (meaning have 1 kabuto, 1 kabutops, 1 omanyte, 1omastar...) Is that possible?
Especially wondering about
- Eeveelutions (can it be catched in the wild so i can have all vaporeon, jolteon and flareon?)
- Fossiles (can i find kaputo / omanyte somewhere?)

2. Is there a place where i can see where to find these pokemons? I see there is a document but it seems to be uncomplete:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVfvwHcbATxCBQdQIhcCVb7IrwlISWDePJbJZZ8w_DE/edit

Thanks VERY much, hope to hear any answers

1. Sure. You'll be able to obtain both Fossils eventually and thanks to breeding in the Sevii Islands, you'll be able to get all of the Eeveelutions.

2. I don't want to spoil the fun, but a good note to keep is that most pokemon are able to breed, which means that you'll be able to get both hitmonchan and hitmonlee regardless of if you're playing Throwback or an unmodified ROM. Obtaining the three starters, well, I think that you should just play the game and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 29, 2019
1. Sure. You'll be able to obtain both Fossils eventually and thanks to breeding in the Sevii Islands, you'll be able to get all of the Eeveelutions.

2. I don't want to spoil the fun, but a good note to keep is that most pokemon are able to breed, which means that you'll be able to get both hitmonchan and hitmonlee regardless of if you're playing Throwback or an unmodified ROM. Obtaining the three starters, well, I think that you should just play the game and see for yourself.

Thanks for answering.

My goal is to have all the 150 pokemon one of each (so 1 bulbabaur, 1 ivysaur, 1 venusaur, 1 squirtle, and so on)
I'm still on cinnabar island, so I have a bit to play before I get to the breeding part.
Now, I wonder:

- To get all the Eeveelutions, do I have to keep Eevee as it is before I breed it? (I havent evolved it to Jolteon for that reason, eventhough it would have been my choice against Lorelei)
- Same with Kabuto: should I avoid evolving into Kabutops (which I like to have in my team) and wait with mu Kabuto until I do the breeding?
- My starter has already become a Venusaur, does that mean it will not be possible to have a bulbasaur and an ivysaur, or is that now possible with breeding.

I like not knowing things to come and see for myselft the new things that come (and eventually playing withthe second generation of pokemons which i don't know, so that will be fun as I don't know their types / attacks.

BUT: If my goal (having all 150 one by one in the PC) is not possible, I rather know it now than being dissapointed later. That is also the reason I am playing this hack, which I'm greatful for!!

Thanks again!!

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
- To get all the Eeveelutions, do I have to keep Eevee as it is before I breed it? (I havent evolved it to Jolteon for that reason, eventhough it would have been my choice against Lorelei)
- Same with Kabuto: should I avoid evolving into Kabutops (which I like to have in my team) and wait with mu Kabuto until I do the breeding?
- My starter has already become a Venusaur, does that mean it will not be possible to have a bulbasaur and an ivysaur, or is that now possible with breeding.

BUT: If my goal (having all 150 one by one in the PC) is not possible, I rather know it now than being dissapointed later. That is also the reason I am playing this hack, which I'm greatful for!!

Thanks again!!

You'll be able to get them to breed regardless of their evolution. How and which Pokemon can breed will be for you to figure out.

You'll be able to collect all 150 side-by-side in your PC, I promise. BUT you'll have to go further in in the game than you would in the original Red/Blue versions. This is due to the entrance to Unknown/Cerulean Cave being available much later, regardless of a modified/unmodified FireRed. By then, you'll also have encountered Pokemon from Gen II.

Last edited:

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Thanks for answering.

My goal is to have all the 150 pokemon one of each (so 1 bulbabaur, 1 ivysaur, 1 venusaur, 1 squirtle, and so on)
I'm still on cinnabar island, so I have a bit to play before I get to the breeding part.
Now, I wonder:

I like not knowing things to come and see for myselft the new things that come (and eventually playing withthe second generation of pokemons which i don't know, so that will be fun as I don't know their types / attacks.

Thanks again!!
The general rule of breeding ever since it's introduction Gen 2 is that the first form hatches out of an egg. Kabuto for example. This includes baby Pokemon, which are usually regarded as one below that form (and therefore evolve into the usual 1st Pokemon later). To get these babies (which are past #150 btw and why breeding is so late), you will actually be required to breed them anyway.

There are exceptions to this rule, but I don't think they're present in Throwback.

Last edited:

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Thanks!

Which version are you playing and/or what patches have you used?
version: Unofficial v180715
De-capitalization patches used...
Base Game v180626
Catch 'em all v180626
Extras v180715
GB Sounds v180626

There is also glitched text with the Birdkeeper Beck trainer (Route 14). His text 1. overflows and 2. goes into the next paragraph before I even press A/B. I'm playing on 3ds, otherwise I would provide screencaps.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
version: Unofficial v180715
De-capitalization patches used...
Base Game v180626
Catch 'em all v180626
Extras v180715
GB Sounds v180626

There is also glitched text with the Birdkeeper Beck trainer (Route 14). His text 1. overflows and 2. goes into the next paragraph before I even press A/B. I'm playing on 3ds, otherwise I would provide screencaps.

You... used all of those patches? Unofficial v180715 is a stand-alone patch. xD It doesn't need any other patches. Perhaps I should clarify that in the release.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 29, 2019
Hi,
I have now been many very long whiles trying to encounter Pinsir, Gengar and Machamp.
Are you sure they really are in the patch?

Pinsir - I have played 20 full safari games. 14 of them specifically to encounter pinsir, that is: in area 1 east (4 games) , area 1 west (5 games), and the two zones you get from area 1 by surfing to the oher side (3 games at the east, 2 at the west).
Just so you get an idea I catched 3 chanseys and 5 scythers when my only purpose was to find pinsir - That makes me think that this is not a matter of low chance, but more that pinsir is actually not included for some reason...

Then I was trying to encounter Gengar and Machamp

Spoiler:

Do you think I did something wrong or could it be that actually something happened so they are not included in the patch?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 23, 2024
Hi,
I have now been many very long whiles trying to encounter Pinsir, Gengar and Machamp.

Pinsir - I have played 20 full safari games. 14 of them specifically to encounter pinsir, that is: in area 1 east (4 games) , area 1 west (5 games), and the two zones you get from area 1 by surfing to the oher side (3 games at the east, 2 at the west).
Just so you get an idea I catched 3 chanseys and 5 scythers when my only purpose was to find pinsir - That makes me think that this is not a matter of low chance, but more that pinsir is actually not included for some reason...

Spoiler:

Do you think I did something wrong or could it be that actually something happened so they are not included in the patch?

Which version are you using? "Official" or "Unofficial? Which date? That kind of information would be helpful in answering your question. I will assume you are using the current version, and answer for both "Official" and "Unofficial":

Pinsir appears in different areas in the "Official" and "Unofficial" branches. The "Unofficial" patch has it appear in Areas 1,2, and 4, while the Official patch has it in Areas 3 and 4. You may be searching the wrong area for your version, or just unlucky. Either way, you should use Sweet Scent when searching for Pokemon in the Safari Zone so you can conserve your steps.

Gengar and Machamp do not spawn as wild Pokemon in the current version of either branch in any part of Pokemon Tower or Mt. Ember. However, I believe both the Official and Unofficial versions allow for trade evolution at Bill's house, and Haunter and Machoke are available in those locations.

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Hi,

Spoiler:

sdw7sm has kindly answered your questions for me above. After meeting Bill for the first time, you can interact with his teleporter to send one of your Pokemon through it. Evolutions will occur for any Pokemon that normally evolve after being traded.

You must've viewed a guide that was for the older versions, as evolved forms such as Gengar does not ever spawn in the game in the latest release.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 29, 2019
The "Unofficial" patch has it appear in Areas 1,2, and 4, while the Official patch has it in Areas 3 and 4. You may be searching the wrong area for your version, or just unlucky.
Thanks for that... I was indeed looking in the wrong areas, I must have the Official patch, as I have just met a Pinsir in area 2. So that explains everything.

After meeting Bill for the first time, you can interact with his teleporter to send one of your Pokemon through it. Evolutions will occur for any Pokemon that normally evolve after being traded.

Now I see... I thought the trade at Bill's was from his PC, every time I tried it would just show pictures os eevee and eeveelutions.... Just tried to face the teleporter and yes, then I get the option to send a pokemon through it. Damn, so much time spent ¬¬

Thanks for the answers both of you, then now I'm finally able to fill the pokedex!
Cheers

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 23, 2018
Hi! Does the save compatibility patch work the new unofficial version? I'm thinking of transfering my vanilla FR save into this hack, if possible.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2019
Hi! Does the save compatibility patch work the new unofficial version? I'm thinking of transfering my vanilla FR save into this hack, if possible.

Thanks!

I'm 99% sure it'll work just fine, though I've never thought about the save compatibility patch until now. Please make a backup of your vanilla FR save. I'll take a look at the compatibility patch tomorrow.

edit: I just checked the offsets of the patch, and I'm sorry to say that my Unofficial and the save compatibility patch are not compatible with each other. You're better off using either my 'official' release or RichterSnipes'.

Last edited:
Back