• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
Pikachu able to learn Surf

sparkly_rin_gif_by_thatawkwardmeister-d6ix8f9.gif

Best. Thing. Ever.

I'll be keeping an eye on this hack. Keep up the fantastic work.

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I've got some good news, and I've got some bad news. The bad news is, I ran into space issues in ROM0 and Bank $5 while adding the Surfing Pikachu graphics into the game. The good news is, I finally got Move Tutor functionality in there. The first released version to include Move Tutors will include as Move Tutor moves Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, Hydro Cannon, Draco Meteor, and Iron Tail.

In other news, I might also expand the TM list to 64 and add some more moves besides, and I'm also thinking of including Togepi and Marill (called Pikablu in this hack as a nod to early info) and their respective evolutions. I also might consider having the rival expand your Pokédex (this expansion being known as the 8-Bit Pokédex) on the S.S. Anne and give you the Fame Checker in Cerulean City after you beat him in those respective places, among other additions to the game.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
I'm also thinking of including Togepi and Marill (called Pikablu in this hack as a nod to early info) and their respective evolutions.

I remember that. I remember vowing to get a Pikablu when the new games (Gold and Silver) came out. This thread brings back such nostalgia.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, I've had so little free time for so long, I've forgotten where I am. So please, compile and/or play this hack and update me if there's anything that needs fixing.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
*after working some on a TM list update* That's it, I'm adding and updating future TMs individually instead of en masse in the future! In fact, I'm considering using Github's branching technique for the first time.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, I'm just gonna compile a nightly build from what I was able to salvage from that whole TM mess and send it to select beta testers. For those wondering, I haven't given up on this hack. Anyone who's interested in beta testing, just send me a PM, and I'll forward you the files as soon as possible. I'll also by default designate as beta testers those who are regulars on the Gen I hacking scene besides myself, unless they specifically opt out.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Was the Celadon Ballet Academy in the anime or manga, or is it your own idea? Either way, it's a good concept.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Something I came up with myself. It will feature in a later chapter of my own fanseries, Pokémon: Clefairy Tales. Erika is known to be a student there, as is one of the anime-original Sensational Sisters.

ETA: Could you help me with a script related to it?

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Maybe. I'm familiar with pokecrystal, not pokered. What's the script supposed to do?

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
It's supposed to be a Move Tutor script, one part of which involves a check to see if your Pokémon can learn the move being taught, but I think you'd be more likely to help me with the last part, which involves moving the player, Misty, and her sister. Specifically, the player moves down one tile, Misty moves left one tile, and her sister moves down one tile, out of the Celadon Ballet Academy. Misty then says something before she and her sister leave.

Years
  • Age 33
  • NY
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Well, a few other places I can recall NPCs moving in Red are (1) the player in Viridian Mart, (2) an NPC leading the player in Pewter City, (3) the fossil nerd in Mt. Moon, and (4) Lance's room. From those scripts, it looks like you could define some macros to make things easier:

Code:
; move_npc ID, MovementData
; ID is the index of the object on the map (defined in data/mapObjects)
; MovementData is a pointer to the movement data
; example: move_npc $3, MovementData_PewterMuseumGuyExit
move_npc: MACRO
	ld a, \1
	ld [H_SPRITEINDEX], a
	ld de, \2
	call MoveSprite
ENDM

; example NPC movement data
MovementData_PewterMuseumGuyExit:
	db NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN
	db NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN
	db NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN
	db NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN
	db $FF

; move_player RLEList
; RLEList is a pointer to pairs of buttons and press counts, terminated by $ff
; example: move_player WalkToLance_RLEList
move_player: MACRO
	ld a, $ff
	ld [wJoyIgnore], a
	ld hl, wSimulatedJoypadStatesEnd
	ld de, \1
	call DecodeRLEList
	dec a
	ld [wSimulatedJoypadStatesIndex], a
	call StartSimulatingJoypadStates
	xor a
	ld [wJoyIgnore], a
ENDM

; example player movement data
WalkToLance_RLEList:
	db D_UP, $0C
	db D_LEFT, $0C
	db D_DOWN, $07
	db D_LEFT, $06
	db $FF

; hide_object ID
; ID is the hideable object constant (defined in constants/hide_show_constants.asm)
; example: hide_object HS_OAKS_LAB_RIVAL
hide_object: MACRO
	ld a, \1
	ld [wMissableObjectIndex], a
	predef HideObject
ENDM

(I haven't tested these.)

(Aside: Do links on PokéCommunity appear for everyone as plain black text? It's impossible for me to tell when something is a link unless it says "click here".)

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Here's what I've come up with thus far:

Code:
CeladonCityAfterBattleText:
   TX_ASM
   ld hl, IronTailMoveTutorPreText
   call PrintText
   ld a, 5
   jp CeladonCityTutors
   jr c, .Success2
   ld hl, IronTailMoveTutorFails
   call PrintText
   jr .Done
.Success2
   xor a
   ld [hJoyHeld], a
   call PlayerMovement
   ld a, $a
   ld [hSpriteIndexOrTextID], a
   call MoveSprite
   ld a, NPC_MOVEMENT_LEFT
   ld a, $b
   ld [hSpriteIndexOrTextID], a
   ld a, HS_CELADON_CITY_LILY
   ld [wMissableObjectIndex], a
   predef ShowObject
   call MoveSprite
   ld a, NPC_MOVEMENT_DOWN

PlayerMovement:
   call StartSimulatingJoypadStates
   ld a, $1
   ld [wSimulatedJoypadStatesIndex], a
   ld a, D_DOWN
   ld [wSimulatedJoypadStatesEnd], a
   xor a
   ld [wSpriteStateData1 + 9], a
   ld [wJoyIgnore], a
   ret

Would it be possible for you to see if I did anything wrong? (BTW I left off at the point where Misty is supposed to say her line.)

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Still looking for scripting assistance regarding the above scenario; I absolutely cannot compile further builds until I get that one resolved. Oh, for those wondering, the project is still not dead. I've simply been busy with other things lately.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Unfortunately, the lack of progress in finding any answers has led me to decide that the best course of action for me would be to start from scratch. Not helping matters is that I've been extremely busy over the past month. I will instead compile a weekly nightly build every week beginning next weekend. Furthermore, all further work on this will be done mainly at Skeetendo; I will be popping in at this thread only as necessary, to announce new nightly builds and answer any questions you here at PokéCommunity might have regarding this hack.

I'm sorry it had to come to a hard reset, but I couldn't wait much longer for a query regarding a certain script.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
The first public alpha, Alpha 1.0, is now available and can be downloaded here. Collaborative coding is encouraged--I even included an editable copy of the source code with the archive in which the Red, Green, and Blue Versions are contained.

UPDATE (10/23/16): Due to an unforeseen glitching up of Pewter Gym as I played through the Green Version, no more alphas will be released until further notice. I will coordinate with the rest of the hacking community to get to the root of it. I'm not sure, but I think it may be a trainer I added in there.

UPDATE (10/30/16): Alpha 2.0 is now available, now that the glitch has been fixed, hopefully reliably. New features have also been added, including a slightly altered TM list which is still a work in progress. I hope to have the TMs more functional (read: everyone being able or not able to learn them as they should) by the next nightly build.

UPDATE (11/06/16): Turns out I've added so many moves that to release a new alpha now is impossible. When I tried to compile, I ended up getting yelled at by Cygwin over Bank 1E. I'll have to try to move stuff before I can even think about releasing any further updates. At least I'll have more time to work some more on the TMs and move tutors...

In the meantime, please feel free to post your thoughts on Alpha 2.0 here.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, after yet another delay, Alpha 3.0 (that's me taking a self-imposed version number penalty for the delay) is finally ready and can be downloaded, along with its source code, here.

Now, I'm pretty certain by this point the higher-ups don't want me bumping this thread much more. I know I don't. So please, those who download this, try to leave your opinion on the alphas in this thread from time to time. Needless to say, further updates will be posted in this post, or else the first Alpha release post after someone else leaves an opinion on this hack and its alphas here, whatever the case is as each weekly nightly build is released.

Anyway, the TMs that should be fully functional as of now are TM39 (Rock Tomb), TM09 (Bullet Seed), and TM46 (Thief). TM05 (Roar) is a work in progress. As for the Move Tutors, I haven't had the opportunity to test them yet, but the Camper near the Mt. Moon entrance who teaches Water Gun and the competing Black Belts who teach Mega Punch and Mega Kick should be in working order. (The Copycat Girl, who teaches Mimic, I know for sure isn't fully functional yet, and I'll be adding at least another by the next Alpha.) As always, I'll be playing through the master copy of the Alpha throughout the week and editing and recompiling as I come across any bugs I'm able to fix promptly or features, including move effects, I'm able to implement promptly. In the meantime, please leave your opinions and suggestions on this and future Alphas on this thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
This build you just released has serious bugs in it. Whenever you receive an item, it is always an glitch item that can break the game, causing it to crash. I hope that you can get this fixed soon, Fotomac.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I'll try. In fact, I'm going to start investigating right NOW, to see what went wrong.

BUG FIX UPDATE 1: Upon checking the PC at the very beginning, I just saw an item called ROCKET which is obviously supposed to be a Potion. That'll be my tipoff for trying to fix this bug: if I start my game and see anything other than a POTION inside, I'll know right away the bug is still present. I'm assuming it's because of the Star Piece I added, and upon investigation, I've come to the initial conclusion that I forgot to edit the "text/item_names.asm" file to reflect the new addition, including the placeholders I intend to use for usable items.

BUG FIX UPDATE 2: I just checked the PC again after editing the aforementioned text ASM file, and it still shows an item called ROCKET in the PC. Needless to say, I'll be looking for other leads.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Still looking for scripting assistance regarding the above scenario.

I really haven't messed around with movement scripts at all yet, but perhaps you could just have them say bye, fade to black, vanish them, look at the script for Giovanni vanishing and do that, if it would be easier for you.

On the Item Bug: I recommend you do what I do and try to only do one set of changes per compile if you aren't already, and keep the old code on hand for quick reversion. If you quickly revert all the item changes back to old version that was sans the item changes, does the bug disappear? If you add any items at all, does the bug appear? Etc. The one time I added items I only modified like 5 files, item constants, items, item names, submenu stuff, item prices, so bugtesting was quick. Maybe you forgot to modify a file?

Also, if you're going for new pokemon that appeal most to gen 1 nostalgia, you need to add Snubbull because it and Marill were in the first movie short together. :3

edit: Oh, and sometimes compiling won't take in the new changes you made, esp. if the file size is similar to a previous build. That can be annoying.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
In any case, right now I created a new Github repo just to try to figure out what went wrong, and that is taking the patience of a saint, especially considering the equipment I'm using at the moment. Tonight, I'm going to concentrate on the base and the audio folder and add changes which had been made since Alpha 2 to the files that had been added. Mateo, Crystal_, based on the information I'll provide in the repo within the hour from Alpha 3, what can you figure out?

Back