• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Tri-Color Nostalgia Series

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
For those wondering why I haven't updated much lately, it's because I've been pretty busy with other stuff lately. This project is not dead, though. I just need to get myself organized a bit before continuing.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
In fact, I've been doing some thinking lately and have decided to shake up the version organization a bit. For example, v10.1 is now going to be called Ken Burns, after the acclaimed documentarian whose documentary The Vietnam War premieres next month on most PBS stations, and I'm putting all book materials on hold for the time being while I organize the process.

Last edited:

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, so I can confirm that Pikablu, Raiblu, and Bellossom will all appear in v10.1 Ken Burns. Bellossom will even appear in place of Vileplume in Erika's lineup. If I manage to get everything done fast enough, I can have 10.1.0 out by the last of this month or the first of next.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
I can now confirm, at the rate I'm presently going, that v10.1.0 will be out sometime next month. Life sure knows how to get in the way, but I know one thing for certain: that the sooner I get myself organized, the faster I'll be able to work on this project.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
If I don't shape up soon, I might have to delay to November. Should that be the case, I sincerely hope I won't have to delay much longer. Anyway, I just learned something about the hide/show function and sprite sizes as I went along with development of v10.1 KEN BURNS. More on that when I finish it.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
OK, a bit of an update. I just decided to give the audio banks a slight overhaul by adding a fifth (technically fourth) audio bank. This move happens to be necessary so that I can fix some audio glitches and port Pikablu's and Bellossom's cries from pokecrystal, which seemed easy enough by itself until I found even one more cry might break the three banks already in play. So now I gotta go back and move some music tracks and write some code for the new audio bank. Needless to say, I still hope to have 10.1 Ken Burns out during the holiday season.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Well, that's that, then. I'm officially joining Red and Blue DX on the crysaudio bandwagon. It's the only possible way I can get those cries to fit for sure. I tried everything else, and it just didn't work, so 10.0 Summer of Adventure will be the only version to use the old engine; all releases starting with 10.1 Ken Burns will use the crysaudio engine.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Before I continue with this announcement, here's a link to the current Github repo:

https://github.com/Fotomac/nostalgia-red

And now, the announcement. I've just added the crysaudio engine, and while there are obviously plenty of bugs to work out, I believe it's close to fully functional at this stage. All that's left now is to bring some beta testers on board to discover anything else that sounds wrong and apply any fixes they can come up with.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Unfortunately, I've been having a lot more going on in real life than I had anticipated, so for the time being, I can only release an alpha version, which is still very buggy audiowise but at least appears to be playable from what I've tested thus far.

Anyway, here it is. At the very least, it'd be a good opportunity for people to help me fix the bugs, if possible.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
After a test playthrough of the French version, it appears the problems I've been having in regards to the Male and Female Trainer Challenge tunes are symptomatic of how limited the music system appears to be even with the Crystal audio engine, so I'm forced to remove the two extra tunes (the Poké Mart theme and the RSE Tuber Challenge music) I was planning on adding to 10.1 Ken Burns until a fix can be found for that.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Well, now that the music problem is (mostly) fixed, I can safely say I'm going to be dropping the first official release of 10.1 Ken Burns sometime this month or sometime next month.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
what method would you use for evolving Eevee into Glaceon/Leafeon/Umbreon/Sylveon/Espeon?

I'll have to think about it. At the very least, I'll be adding Espeon and Umbreon first.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
One more thing about my hack: starting in 10.1 Ken Burns, the Starters will be in the patch of grass in Pallet Town, a reference to a remark by Professor Oak I read in a guide somewhere. However, even then it won't be a free ride trying to catch them; not only do you have to be extremely lucky, or else try extremely hard, to even find them, you'll have to earn them, same as you do any wild Pokémon outside of Route 1.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
Something I just noticed; while it's extremely difficult to crash the game very early on due to how low I set the encounters in Pallet Town, it's still possible for the wild Pokémon to get to you before Professor Oak does, so I gotta find a way to fix that at some point.

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
As 10.1 Ken Burns nears the completion of its initial release with the French version's completion, here are some things to expect for 10.2 Victoria, coming later this Spring or early this Summer:

• Move Tutors, including in Viridian Pokémon Center and Route 4
  • Gendered Pokémon
  • Three of the Sevii Islands
  • A slightly overhauled wild encounter system that incorporated 12 slots, as with Gen III, instead of 10
  • New moves, including Attract, Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon
  • New Pokémon, including Pichu, Piblu, Cleffa, and Igglybuff
  • New trainer classes, including the Hex Maniac (using the "meet evil trainer" theme), Fairy [Tale] Girl (using the "meet evil trainer" theme), Tuber (male and female, both using the "meet cute trainer" theme), Aroma Lady (using the "meet female trainer" theme), Battle Girl (using the "meet male trainer" theme), [Rocket] Executive (using the "meet evil trainer" theme), and Pokémon Ranger (male and female, both using the "meet adventurous trainer" theme)
  • New music, including the aforementioned "meet adventurous trainer" theme

Fotomac

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 9, 2023
It should be; I just gotta get the German version thereof finished. I'm considering making 10.1.1 the one where the Yellow Version gets added in, if I can't work quickly enough.

Speaking of foreign-language versions, I might polish up the French translation a little further depending on when the source thereof manages some significant work on the disassembly of pokecrystal-fr, which is my source for some of the translated text.

Back