• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokémon Tyro Demo 0.0.1

Years
  • Pokémon Tyro

Hello, let's introduce myself. I'm Emanoel (Manolloz) and i'm brazilian, so if you don't understand, be patient. 😁
    I always wanted to create a pokémon game really different from the ones we already know, and now i have time to do it haha

I'm trying to make a new pokémon game with a new perspective, and completely different gameplay. Some game caracteristics:

- The character will not be a Pokémon Trainer
    In the anime, we saw some professions besides the pokémon trainer. And I would like to have an experience of being a pokémon creator, a pokémon apprentice, a pokémon teacher, etc.

- The game will not have battles
    Whaaaatt? Yes, you read right. This is the point that i'm affraid about the game, but i hope we have a good experience with this.
    For not being a trainer, this will not be the focus of the game.

- You will not have Pokémons
    At first, I am studying this option. As you will be a student, you will have the teacher's pokémons. But I can change my mind.

- Will have a lot of puzzles and problems to solve
    Will be a game full o event scripts to do, and solve haha
    If you want to be wiser, o need to be a good student.

- Will have a simple craft system
    I want to add somes places to gather resources, like woods, stones, herbs, something like this.
    You will be able to do some recipes, potions, tools, unlock habilities, etc.
    This system is 'alpha-alpha', but someday i will turn this real.

At now, me and just one friend are developing the ideas.
    He is good to create the history, characters background.
    I'm learning the basics about Pokémon Essentials.

#EDIT Download Link Demo: Pokémon Tyro Demo 0.0.1
    Please, give you feedback posting here or PM.

Last edited:

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Seems like a cool idea.
    Though, if you're not using Pokémon, Battles, or Trainers as mechanics.

Do you need to limit yourself to Pokémon Essentials?
    You could go bigger and better since programming trainer battles, and Pokémon based mechanics are something that is needed at all.

Years
  • Seems like a cool idea.
    Though, if you're not using Pokémon, Battles, or Trainers as mechanics.

You could go bigger and better since programming trainer battles, and Pokémon based mechanics are something that is needed at all.

The focus will not be on battle, but on learning about the Pokémon world. They may have battles, but with different mechanics. Event-based battle, in which you choose the action according to the Pokémon's position on the battlefield.
    Like: "Pikachu, avoid the attack", so Pikachu will move, and avoid the attack animation; Or "Pikachu, attack!", so Pikachu will attack, but will take the hit.
    And depending on your choices, you may or may not win, which may have consequences later.

And i didn't get the point of your question. Sorry, i'm begginer in english hehe

_pheebee

Years
  • The focus will not be on battle, but on learning about the Pokémon world. They may have battles, but with different mechanics. Event-based battle, in which you choose the action according to the Pokémon's position on the battlefield.
    Like: "Pikachu, avoid the attack", so Pikachu will move, and avoid the attack animation; Or "Pikachu, attack!", so Pikachu will attack, but will take the hit.
    And depending on your choices, you may or may not win, which may have consequences later.

And i didn't get the point of your question. Sorry, i'm begginer in english hehe

My question is:

If the focus isn't too much on Pokemon battles in the usual pokémon style.
    You could use other engines and maybe not be so limited.

If crafting is a thing that needs to be in the game, you could find a engine more suitable for bigger, better crafting mechanics.

Years
  • My question is:

If the focus isn't too much on Pokemon battles in the usual pokémon style.
    You could use other engines and maybe not be so limited.

If crafting is a thing that needs to be in the game, you could find a engine more suitable for bigger, better crafting mechanics.

I don't know other engines that i could do this features, just Essentials.
    To craft system, probably i will use a lot of variables and 'if'.

Years
  • Finally, after 3 days of working on it, we finished the Pokémon Tyro demo. This will be version 0.0.1 haha.

I have some considerations to make:

- 95% of the texts were translated directly by the google translator (including this topic). The rest are Dexes.

- This is my first project, I have never done anything like this before, please forgive any flaws.

- Demo's intention is only to present this idea of ​​a new game, with different mechanics, problems to be solved, and a new perspective of the Pokémon world.

- All tilesets, sprites and maps will be changed. At the moment I have no mastery of these skills, but I will soon improve myself.

- The idea is to present a new context for a standard Pokémon game, exploring much more the intuitive side of the Pokémon universe, mixing with puzzles, challenges and reasoning to solve problems.

We accept suggestions, ideas, criticisms for the development of the project. Regarding the forum, I have a question, when would it be ideal to put this topic in another area to promote the game?

Follow the link to download the demo: Pokémon Tyro Demo 0.0.1

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2020
    Greatings guys! My name's Carlos (Pacato). I am one of the creators of Pokémon Tyro alongside Emanoel (Manolloz).

I hope you enjoy this new content that we are bringing to this game.
    It's been a long time since we've had the idea of ​​making a game that escapes the usual that we already know from Pokémon games, those that have regular battles, search for badges, etc.

It's very important to have this initial feedback from you, so that we can view the opinions, criticisms to seek an increasingly better direction.

From now on we are immensely grateful for the support and space given to publicize this work, our focus is to bring something new for the public to appreciate.

_pheebee

Years
  • So, I've tried your demo, and I'm not sure how I feel.

The game feels rather tedious.
    Not having a Pokémon, and encountering all these situations where you should really use a Pokemon is bizarre.
    And, I find it hard to believe Prof. Oak, wouldn't give you a Pokémon to assist with catching Pokémon, going to Route 1, Route 2, and a Power Plant armed to the teeth with dangerous Pokémon.
    I don't know what happens after the Power Plant as I stopped playing them, the speed of the Pokémon, and then being put back at the beginning of the Plant when caught, is frustrating to say the least.

I thought I understood what you were aiming for in your first post about Crafting, Jobs, and different professions seen in Anime.
    But from the game it seems like your making a "I wanna be the guy" type game where you're a pokemon-less trainer.

If you're going to continue the route of "Different Professions" I suggest still allowing us to catch, and own Pokémon.
    Because in the Pokémon world "being a trainer" isn't a profession, the profession most trainers pick is pursuing the Pokemon League. Trying to become champion, making Gym appearances, and tournament fights.
    Many other professions still have Pokemon to aid them, or to protect them.

For example, an Artist commonly has a Smeargle, a Pokemon that produces paint, and does have a knack for artistic talents.
    Or, Farmers will use Miltank, and Tauros for selling the goods they produce, or even have Combee's to produce honey, or pollinate flowers.

Police use Growlithe, Arcanine, Houndoor, Houndoom, Lillipup, Stoutland, and Herdier as police K9's and companions during police work.

The potential for a game where you play as a different Pokémon profession, but still using Pokemon for battles and/or various career based tasks is great, and I feel you should use that potential rather than this, no offence, rather lackluster "dodge the problem" game play that's going on.

Years
  • Hello Guys.

I am thinking of resuming my project.
    But I still have some creative blocks, as my game ideas go beyond the basics of Pokémon Essentials.
    To make a nice user interface I would have to create new scripts, but I don't know how to do that.

Could anyone indicate a way to learn this to continue with the game?

Stay with the image of the new first city in the game.

Pokémon Tyro Demo 0.0.1

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    if you wanna learn to program/script in RPG Maker XP, search for : RGSS tutorial.
    there are many guides in youtube and forums.

Back