• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokémon" YOU'VE Seen IRL!

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • Added Volbeat and Poliwag, updated Swablu with a clearer pic, and replaced Wooper's entry with a salamander hatchling that I thought resembled its Shiny.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Swapped the jumping spider in Joltik's entry for a fuzzier one.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Swapped Ninjask and Shedinja's pics for this two-in-one photo (featuring a periodical cicada, which unlike my previous annual cicada has red eyes like Ninjask):

Spoiler:

I also swapped the toads in Poliwag and Poliwhirl's entry for "true frogs" to avoid overlap with the Tympole line (though the pic showing the spirals are still toad tadpoles). Using Green Frogs here since Politoed is a green-colored frog.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Swapped Surskit's entry for a water strider nymph and moved the adult water strider to Masquerain's entry.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Oh hey, a rock slater! Maybe not the exact genus Wimpod is based on (Ligidium instead of Ligia), but same family.

8MphhRT.jpg

Rock slaters are semi-aquatic isopod crustaceans related to sowbugs and pillbugs.

I also found another lungless salamander that may be even more appropriate for Lickitung. It seems unclear whether or not the Midland Mud Salamander I posted before secretes an irritating substance, but the closely related Red Salamander does. (Also, the "red" in the name brings to mind the yokai that may have also served as inspiration behind Lickitung, the Akaname, which can be read as "filth licker" or "red licker.")

Uqkjz2T.jpg

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    A real-life Treecko crawled up my trouser leg, which is terrifying! I'm not sure the exact species of Gecko so can't give a picture, but it was definitely bright green (don't know about the under-belly).
    Taillow / Swallow are based off the type of Swallow we get in the UK, the amount that you see lined up on power lines around my house I'm very glad they don't actually have that offensive power!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Found another Caterpie (Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar, this time showing its osmeterium)

iGGiY7W.jpg

Togepi? That might be pushing it, but it is a patterned egg...

OkFhWGb.jpg

Buzzwole is based on invasive mosquitoes >:(

AS2z7FC.jpg

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • A beetle that looks like a bumblebee? That could potentially work for a Pokémon!

Spoiler:

I also found this social cobweb weaver, a close relative of the Hawaiian "happy-face spider" commonly accepted as Spinarak's true origin. It's not as clean, but you can make out a face on this one as well!

ZoKcLOh.jpg

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Oh man! Just missed out on getting a pic of a wild rabbit (the first I've seen in years) and a mink (my first, period). I would've been tempted to add those to the list as Nidoran and Sneasel...

I did get a pic of this broad-winged hawk yesterday, though. Talonflame?

wxbCvGI.jpg

EDIT: Updated with clearer pic

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • As suggested by their names and pointed snouts, Snivy and Servine may be based on vine snakes. However, they could also draw inspiration from greensnakes (also known a grass snakes, matching Snivy and Servine's Pokédex categories), which are also sometimes referred to as vine snakes.

z7WNGWO.jpg

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Added a clearwing moth to Frosmoth's entry. I also opted to swap the box turtle back to Squirtle since Turtwig's elephantine feet make it more similar to tortoises and went ahead and added a cardinal to the entry for Talonflame's line solely for the superficial resemblance.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I already theorized that Abra could draw inspiration from opossums, but it just hit me that the Cubone line could as well! Both the Pokémon and animal have white heads and Marowak's beta design revealed that it was originally intended to be a marsupial of some kind. It's also very common for mother opossums to be killed, leaving her joeys orphaned.

Either hypothesis may be a stretch, but which of the two Pokémon do you think would be best represented by the North American opossum: Abra, who sleeps 18 hours a day and had a rat-like tail in its Gen. I sprites, or Marowak?

Last edited:
    Back