• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pok?mon: Stygian Version (vDEMO_0.015 RELEASED!)

What have you done so far in vDEMO_0.013? Please don't select anything if you haven't got the requir

• I skipped the introduction sequence in the shrine (requires: 5, cannot conflict with 6)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wolfboyft

Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker
Years
Pokémon: Stygian Version (vDEMO_0.015 RELEASED!)

Pokémon: Stygian Version.

Repository on GitHub: https://github.com/wolfboyft/pokestygian

--Great big credit/thanks to the members of the freenode IRC channel #pret for their tremendously helpful guidance!--

A hack of Pokémon Crystal, made in pokecrystal disassembly.

A cataclysmic event called the "Armageddon" occurs on the surface of Maac, the hell-ravaged setting. The player, who has no memory of who they are, is brought down into the only safe haven from the Armageddon's rage; the Stygian Abyss. There the game starts. They wake up next to a note that explains a bit about where they are, and that they were brought down into the Abyss with a benign wish to save them. The note instructs them to find a certain shrine on that level of the Abyss (B1, the first one,) where the story will be explained to them.

Download the demo's IPS here: Latest version is 0.015.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejmhlxx12ki4j42/Stygian0_015_DEMO.ips?dl=1
Direct^
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejmhlxx12ki4j42/Stygian0_015_DEMO.ips?dl=0
Indirect^

Older versions.
Spoiler:

Apply the IPS patch to a Pokémon Crystal GBC ROM.
The entire hack will come out some day.

With a megaton of features!
cRF6Ieo.png
xfh1XF0.png
gY7NSub.png
CkSYG6U.png

8plp43i.png
Gjs2GN1.png
k6hOU4Z.png
vTKuJ15.png

nSXj8uK.png
7hVOg8S.png
BatcK3h.png
6j0FSXQ.png

dttU9WB.png
5DtFz63.png
YRIS2yr.png
QkExi3a.png

9f19RlD.png
FBltnj0.png
O9ZoAwk.png
YVwAuFU.png

Do not forget that this is a very small demo, compared to the final game. There is not much to do.

Banners?

Here I use the [noparse][/noparse] BBCode tag. Anything inside it (including noparse tags, which are used here twice to show it once) that is BBCode will not be parsed. Signature this:

[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9049777#9049777"][img]http://i.imgur.com/8mswX17.png[/img][/URL]

Last edited:

wolfboyft

Years
Demo 0.005 released, containing my first proper ASM... feature.

THANKS #pret!!!!

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
Awesome. A gen 2 hack. I love these. The small demo would be too much of a tease for me so I'm going to hold out on playing it right now but I'll be subscribing to your thread.
Also I think the screenshots you have are a bit big. Honestly it's the size I use when I play on vba but I think smaller looks better when showing off screenshots.

wolfboyft

Years
Awesome. A gen 2 hack. I love these. The small demo would be too much of a tease for me so I'm going to hold out on playing it right now but I'll be subscribing to your thread.
Also I think the screenshots you have are a bit big. Honestly it's the size I use when I play on vba but I think smaller looks better when showing off screenshots.

Thanks! Also, about the screenshots, I couldn't agree more. Any idea how to resize Album images, with their display-inducing BBCode or in the Album itself? Or will I have to resize and then re-upload them...?

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
Thanks! Also, about the screenshots, I couldn't agree more. Any idea how to resize Album images, with their display-inducing BBCode or in the Album itself? Or will I have to resize and then re-upload them...?
They might turn out funny if you just resize the images yourself, best to take other ones. If you were using vba go into options then video you should see 1x, 2x, etc.

wolfboyft

Years
They might turn out funny if you just resize the images yourself, best to take other ones. If you were using vba go into options then video you should see 1x, 2x, etc.

I'm forced to use BGB. It's the second highest to VBA.* So why not VBA? Well...

1) Compile/conventionally hack ROM.
2) Load rom and play in VBA.
3) Repeat step 1 and return back here.
4) Repeat step 2 and return back here.
5) Wonder why the changes you made don't seem to exist in the ROM.
6) Load it up with your hex editor/check your asm files.
7) See that they've been changed correctly.
8) Bloody hell! Realise that VBA only ever cares about the first version of a file it loads. Changing it, then reloading it, plays the old ROM.

May not be true with pokecrystal but still. I don't trust VBA any more. For sizing in BGB, I use Sizer.

*EDIT: I've had an epiphany, VBA is the second highest to BGB.

Last edited:

Al3x

Pokémon Fan
Years
I'm forced to use BGB. It's the second highest to VBA. So why not VBA? Well...

1) Compile/conventionally hack ROM.
2) Load rom and play in VBA.
3) Repeat step 1 and return back here.
4) Repeat step 2 and return back here.
5) Wonder why the changes you made don't seem to exist in the ROM.
6) Load it up with your hex editor/check your asm files.
7) See that they've been changed correctly.
8) Bloody hell! Realise that VBA only ever cares about the first version of a file it loads. Changing it, then reloading it, plays the old ROM.

May not be true with pokecrystal but still. I don't trust VBA any more. For sizing in BGB, I use Sizer.
Haha. I've never heard of BGB until now but I've never gotten into rom hacking much, only dabbled into it for fun here and there. It seems BGB is better but you could use vba for your screenshots haha.

wolfboyft

Years
Trying to program in a new capture mechanic. The current one leaves bank F (bank 15, or the battle code bank) at, unless I made a mistake in my calculations, five bytes of spare data. There will be no Poké Balls. It's all done by fainting the enemy 'mon and saying yes or no.

wolfboyft

Years
Demo 0.007 released! :D
You won't get a single Poké Ball anywhere in the game. Faint a wild Pokémon to be asked if you want to catch it or not!!

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 16, 2022
Interesting concept, I think it has promise and I like the gimmick of free capture.

One thing I feel the need to comment on in this tiny demo is, the "ye olde English" is far too exaggerated. I have nothing against it in theory but it seems you aren't trying to stick to the proper usage of the words. I'm not an expert myself on it, of course, but one thing I do know is you're trying to use thee/ye/thou interchangeably. "Ye" is the plural of "thee/thou" so you shouldn't be using it at all in this case, and the other two are sometimes used correctly and sometimes not.

I apologize if I seem to be a grammar Nazi here, but I feel if you're going to attempt to write like such, you should be aware of how the words you're using were meant to be used.

I like the item system as well, regarding different items having different overworld appearances and knowing what you're taking before you do so.

Lastly, the knight's sprite is good (if I could give a bit of constructive criticism I'd change the shading, maybe remove it on the body plates entirely and instead add some kind of defined decoration, right now it looks like the knight has a belly button on their armor), but I'm not a fan of the goblin sprite, specifically the lack of outline on his shirt. If you added the outline I think it would improve the quality of the sprite.

I don't mean to nitpick, of course, I just thought I'd go a bit in detail since the demo is as short as it is. Best of luck with your hack!

Back