• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Poke Radar Shiny Method. ((Read Hole Top Post Before Attempting this Method!))

How is this Method

• Cool. I'm going to Use it.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I'll try it out.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Stupid. Why post this?

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
    The Poke Radar Shiny Method
    Read the Hole Post Before Attempting this Method!

Some of you Might not read the hole post and try it out without the information you need. but I highly recommend you read all of it. every bit of information counts.

Lets Begin.
    The Poke Radar, first introduced in gen 4, has returned for X & Y. but it's not quite as useful than it was in the past. You can get it after you beat the Elite Four, on the 2nd floor of Professor Sycamore lab in Lumose City.
    Here's how it works.

First. You'll need a lot of Repels and find a big patch of grass or flowers. most People agree that in Kalos, the best patch to try is the big one past the roller skaters on Route 5. The Patch Must Not Have Any Holes in it. And it has to be pretty big too.
    Before you begin, you'll probably want to Register the Poke Radar, and Unregister anything else you have Registered.
    Do Not Use Your Roller Skates At Any Time During This Process! Just stick to the D Pad.
    Now. Use a repel and step into the grass. and press the Y button to use the radar.
    You'll see some patches of grass moving and here the music change. You'll want to have your sound one during this process. Because the music will help you know when you Break your chain. If the poke radar music stops and the route music starts playing, your chain is broken. You'll need to start over.
    Occasionally, the Poke Radar will play different Music. No one knows why yet. but since your chain is not broken when it comes on, you Don't need to worry.
    Find the fastest shaking patch of grass and step into it to start you chain.
    You Must Defeat Every Pokemon You Run Into. If You Run Away From It, It Will Break Your Chain And You'll Have To Start Over.
    The goal here is to find the same species pokemon over and over again in a row. otherwise known as Chaining that pokemon. Until one of the shaking grass starts shining. once you see it, you should walk into it right away. Because the Shining Patches contain Shiny Pokemon.
    Once a battle ends, immediately More Patches of grass will shake. You Need To Be Very Careful About which Patch of Grass you Step in.
    THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!
    If you walk into any on the edge of the Grass, You'll most likely Break you Chain.
    If you walk into any that are shaking right next to each other, You'll most likely Break you Chain.
    If you walk into any that are in four squares of you, You'll most likely Break you Chain.
    If you walk into any that's not shaking fast Enough, You'll most likely Break you Chain.
    If a Pokemon you have with you tries to evolve or a egg hatches you Will break your chain.
    If you walk to far away from the grass you will break your chain.
    And sometimes the chain will just stop for no good reason. but that's rare.
    If you happen to run into one of the legendary birds while Attempting this Method, they at least will not break your chain.(aren't they sweet. :P)
    Sometimes, None of the patches that shake will be use usable. what should you do? Step out of the grass and walk 50 steps. then walk back into the grass and use the Radar again. This is called resetting, and it just gives you more patches of grass to chose from without breaking your chain. You might need to reset your radar multiple times in a row before you find a patch of grass that will work. If you think you saw a good one but you were not sure, Reset anyway. You can never be to careful.
    The good news is, if you get a chain of 40, you can just walk around and reset your radar over and over again until you find a shiny patch.

honestly this is the most frustrating process in the hole game for most people. It requires a lot of concentration and Patients.

Well There's your Guide to Poke Radar Shiny Method.
    If you have any questions, just ask. I'll Reply to you as fast as I can.
    Happy Shiny Hunting. :)

Last edited:

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
    Actually, serebii stated already, and projectpokemon too, that the music change with increased tempo increases the chanche of finding a shiny patch.
    Also, slowpoke grasses make a particular noise when you use the pokeradar.
    And any grass shaking outside the 7x7 tiles area around you is safe to go and wont break your chain.
    I forgot to mention ,even if i know all the mechanics and stuff, i spent several hours with shiny radar hunting and yet got only one :)

Gogoat Rocks!

The Hype is Real
    Years
    Actually, serebii stated already, and projectpokemon too, that the music change with increased tempo increases the chanche of finding a shiny patch.
    Also, slowpoke grasses make a particular noise when you use the pokeradar.
    And any grass shaking outside the 7x7 tiles area around you is safe to go and wont break your chain.
    I forgot to mention ,even if i know all the mechanics and stuff, i spent several hours with shiny radar hunting and yet got only one :)

Thank for the info. :)
    I honestly got none from this method but I will stop at nothing till I get my Shiny Skiddo. :)

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    Ah! See, I've been chaining a bit recently and thought I was so focused on the grass that I didn't notice the music until a while in, by which point I thought I was going barmy. Thanks!

Also, are you allowed to exit the grass you're in? I thought you had to remain inside it?

And for anyone trying to chain, I've had chains of 26, 25, 19 and 7. I got one shiny, after the chain of 7.

Years
    I might use this method to chain a shiny Furfrou or something in the future. I've never been patient to go over 20+ chain, though.

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Strange that your post sounds exactly like how Tamashii on YouTube explained it...

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
    for some reason i started being overconfident about this method and picking a fast&loud shaking grazz thats just 1-2 tiles far away....
    Amount of caterpies that broke my 25+ pikachu chains: 15 so far :)

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    Brilliant type up, thanks for the info. Here it is in image form for people who like pictures :)

https://yellowfur.tumblr.com/post/64774138413/shiny-hunting-guide-1-since-so-muc-people-asked
    It says that the rate of encountering shinies increases after a chain of 40. Is this confirmed in X and Y or did I misinterpret?

Also, for people who are trying to catch the shiny, I have three hints:
    1) Have a Pokemon which can inflict a non-lethal status effect ie. sleep or paralysis.
    2) Try to have a Pokemon with False Swipe, it gets the Pokemon down to 1HP. (Eventually.)
    3) Check the moveset of the Pokemon you are catching. Don't False Swipe it down to 1HP if it knows a move with recoil like Take Down.
    (Also, if it is a low enough level, just throw an Ultra Ball first time...)

Years
    No, the rate of encounetring shinies increases along the way but it's when you have a chain of 40 that you will most likely encounter one after resetting a few times.

For example I met my shiny Furfrou at chain 36 (or 37, I don't really remember) and it seems that there are people that saw shinies whith chains below 20, but that's pretty rare.

You have to watch out for moves like Teleport, Whirlwind, Dragon Tail etc too.
    I was anxious when I met a shiny Pancham in the safari yesterday, since she had Circle Throw.

However, in those cases, the fast ball is very useful.

Also, if you lack PP, don't hesitate to use a PP Restoring Power, and a Capture Power before catching the shiny.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    No, the rate of encounetring shinies increases along the way but it's when you have a chain of 40 that you will most likely encounter one after resetting a few times.

For example I met my shiny Furfrou at chain 36 (or 37, I don't really remember) and it seems that there are people that saw shinies whith chains below 20, but that's pretty rare.
    Sorry, I meant that I thought once you hit 40 you had a 1 in 200 chance of encountering a shiny and that chance didn't increase at all from that point on.

1/200 is the best you can get, but the image suggests your chance increases even after 40.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    It says that the rate of encountering shinies increases after a chain of 40. Is this confirmed in X and Y or did I misinterpret?

I was wondering about that too, but it seems as if the general consensus is that it won't increase past 40. It might just be bad English (doesn't seem to be his native language).

Farore said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Does the encounter rate just increase, or do you actually see those shiny patches of grass before 40?

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
    You can see a shiny patch before 40. (Mine was at 36/37)

The different music that you can hear sometimes can help with that, if you get lucky.
    I've caught a shiny on a chain of 7, plus 12/31 while fishing.

I was always under the impression once you hit 40, the odds did not improve.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    You can see a shiny patch before 40. (Mine was at 36/37)

The different music that you can hear sometimes can help with that, if you get lucky.

Suddenly, HOPE

That is great to hear, one other question: could you technically then keep resetting the Pokeradar at, say, a chain of 30 instead of 40 until you see shiny grass? I'm pretty sure that's what you mean but I wanted to make absolutely sure.

Hitting 30, I wouldn't have the heart to get the last 10 of the chain...failure would break me :(

Years
    @Beyond Infinity : After 40, there's no need to continue chaining, that's the maximum shiny encounter rate you're going to get. (1/200 like you said)

So all you need to do is to keep resetting the Pokeradar until the shiny patch appears. :)

Though I couldn't even get to 40 personnally, 38 is my record.

All my chains were broken by a random Pokemon or it stopped by istelf... *sigh*

It's really difficult, even if you follow the rules. I caught far more shinies while walking around the safari, but I'll try again later.

Suddenly, HOPE

That is great to hear, one other question: could you technically then keep resetting the Pokeradar at, say, a chain of 30 instead of 40 until you see shiny grass? I'm pretty sure that's what you mean but I wanted to make absolutely sure.

Hitting 30, I wouldn't have the heart to get the last 10 of the chain...failure would break me
    Poke Radar Shiny Method. ((Read Hole Top Post Before Attempting this Method!))

Technically you can, but I'm not sure how long it would take you to make a shiny appear that way.

And you have to be careful, since sometimes, the music stops and the chain breaks by itself, maybe when you reset too much, I'm not sure.

It happened twice to me and it was very discouraging. However, the patch of grass I was in wasn't very big, maybe that was also one of the reasons. (I was chaining Goomy in the Swamp)

Last edited:
    Years
    I never successfully chained in either Gen IV or Gen VI games. I think the longest streak I got was 20? Something like that. My longest chain ever in Gen IV was broken by Azelf, which was annoying. One of my chains in Y was also interrupted by Zapdos, but apparently the chain is still viable if you run into a legendary bird? I wasn't listening to the music, so I don't know if it changed. I'm pretty sure it did ruin it because I didn't find another Skiddo (which is what I was chaining at the time).

I still think this method is cool, but I don't know if I have the patience or the luck for it. :P

Back