• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

pokecrystal For Dummies

Days
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 8, 2023
Dumb question that was already answered but not for Cygwin. After making some edits, how exactly do you build the hack? I'm testing something I threw into Newbark Town but I have no idea how to update/build the new instance of crystal with my edit. Sorry if this is a redundant or obvious question, lol.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
Dumb question that was already answered but not for Cygwin. After making some edits, how exactly do you build the hack? I'm testing something I threw into Newbark Town but I have no idea how to update/build the new instance of crystal with my edit. Sorry if this is a redundant or obvious question, lol.
You open your terminal/command console and type make, just like you did the first time you built a ROM.
Alternatively, you can use make -jN where "N" is the number of CPU threads you want to assign to Make in order to speed up the building process.

Days
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 8, 2023
You open your terminal/command console and type make, just like you did the first time you built a ROM.
Alternatively, you can use make -jN where "N" is the number of CPU threads you want to assign to Make in order to speed up the building process.

Ah, yeah. I ended up figuring that out. Thanks regardless! I felt incredibly stupid after an hour of trying to figure it out. I'm having fun so far with the little I've been editing. I'm sure mastering this whole thing comes with time and a lot of trial and error, lol.

Days
  • Age 102
  • Seen Nov 10, 2023
Yo , so im new to assembly and have been trying to add alot of moves with cooler effects however i keep getting met with a constanly overflowing "effects commands" bank from my limited knowledge i'd have to split the effect commands into 2 but im not sure how to go about that. anyone know a work around ?

Days
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Hay i'm new to Pokémon Hacking. Does anyone know how to test certain events? Like I edited some things in a rival Encounter in Mount Moon and that's pretty far from the start of the game so can I test an event to look if it Doesn't crash? I know you need to compress the game to do that but I didn't found any save states for Pokémon Crystal and I don't want to play the entire game to this point when i'm not done with modding yet (Sorry for the bad english btw)

Days
  • Age 38
  • Seen Nov 22, 2023
Hi, I'm new as well. I had a question about Color Pallets for Custom Pokemon Sprites... Hopefully this is an easy one (I think so anyways). Can anyone tell me what units the colors are in for the .pal files? like I understand it is in RGB, but what do the numbers actually mean?

The example given in the Crystal Disassembly Documentation uses Munchlax with (it's shiny pallet as) a light tan and a dark blue color represented as { RGB 22, 22, 12; RGB 07, 15, 25 } respectively... but I don't know what colors those are? It's not 22/256 red, nor is it 22% red. It also doesn't seem to be in hexadecimal. I know this is an obvious answer I'm missing, so can someone please explain this to me and how I can convert this to either a hexadecimal RGB color pallet or one based on the 256 hue system?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
Hi, I'm new as well. I had a question about Color Pallets for Custom Pokemon Sprites... Hopefully this is an easy one (I think so anyways). Can anyone tell me what units the colors are in for the .pal files? like I understand it is in RGB, but what do the numbers actually mean?

The example given in the Crystal Disassembly Documentation uses Munchlax with (it's shiny pallet as) a light tan and a dark blue color represented as { RGB 22, 22, 12; RGB 07, 15, 25 } respectively... but I don't know what colors those are? It's not 22/256 red, nor is it 22% red. It also doesn't seem to be in hexadecimal. I know this is an obvious answer I'm missing, so can someone please explain this to me and how I can convert this to either a hexadecimal RGB color pallet or one based on the 256 hue system?

They are RGB values in the range 0-31. You can multiply them by 8 to quickly map them to the 0-255 values used by most programs.

Days
  • Seen Mar 2, 2024
Hey all, also relatively new to the entire scene. Mostly just messing around following pret's tutorials and learning what I can. But I do have a question, and this seems like the best place to ask.

So in terms of the difference between the regular decomp, and the 16-bit… When it comes to things like adding more Pokémon, items, etc. over the regular limit, would you just add the new ones on at the end of the others, just continuing on like normal? Or would you need to create a new file at a certain point, or break down the list into sections? Any kind of brief explanation would be appreciated!

Back