• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeKart- Yes or No?

Would you like a PokeKart game?

• YES! I love MarioKart and/or Pokemon. :)

Votes: 82 73.9%
  • NO! It doesn't seem interesting or fun.

Votes: 29 26.1%

• Total voters
    Years
    Ironic how I just stopped playing my Mario Kart Wii and stumbled across this thread.

It's an awesome idea, but I don't think it would work out. It'd be kind of weird. I don't think it would do well anyway. (like Pokemon Dash)

Kip

🔥 Fluffy Fire Fox
    Years
    • Age 32
    • They/Them
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    Brillaint idea - I would buy it. But for DS :P If it were released on the Wii... eh, I probably wouldn't. But if it were released on handheld then I would be the first in line. ^^

What would be cool is that you could migrate your Pokémon from the main series games to the PokéKart game (PokéWalker style) and race them. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2012
    I think a Pokemon racing game would be interesting, but a blatant ripoff of MarioKart would be awful. That was a great game, and throwing in Pokemon would ruin it.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    YES! I've never thought about it before now, but that could really work.

Years
    Okay I think some of us are misunderstanding the point. No, I wouldn't want this game to be a complete ripoff from MarioKart, besides MarioKart has been copyrighted and GameFreak isn't stupid to take everything, pixel and all. The name need not have to be PokeKart, it could be PokeRacing or whatever GF chooses to name. It is just the core of the idea, and I coined up the name because the creativity was inspired by MarioKart. You don't have to take whatever I say for facts. And puh-lease, Pokemon has never been incorporated in XBox or Playstation whatnots. And who knows, it doesn't have to be all from MarioKart, I'm sure there are lots more ideas to be invented by viewing other racing games.

(Sorry for that stupid rant, but I didn't want my intentions to be misunderstood since people started saying that it would be a ripoff and blahblahblah. Let's go back to the topic now. XD)

I really hope that there might also be some backstory behind everything. Or maybe some sort of mystery behind the origins of the racecourses? And we might be able to unlock Legendary Pokemon! Events are so imaginable!! ^^`

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
    Wouldn't buy one.
    Would be a good idea.
    Would support the notion if it was a Diddy Kong Racing knockoff as airplanes, cars, and hovercrafts would help certain Pokemon lot better than a car.

Pokemon Twisted Metal...

blue

gucci
    Years
    Well, Pokémon is my favourite gaming franchise and Racing is my favourite genre so I'd, love it! However, does that mean there would be 649+ racers? :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Okay I think some of us are misunderstanding the point. No, I wouldn't want this game to be a complete ripoff from MarioKart, besides MarioKart has been copyrighted and GameFreak isn't stupid to take everything, pixel and all. The name need not have to be PokeKart, it could be PokeRacing or whatever GF chooses to name. It is just the core of the idea, and I coined up the name because the creativity was inspired by MarioKart. You don't have to take whatever I say for facts. And puh-lease, Pokemon has never been incorporated in XBox or Playstation whatnots. And who knows, it doesn't have to be all from MarioKart, I'm sure there are lots more ideas to be invented by viewing other racing games.

(Sorry for that stupid rant, but I didn't want my intentions to be misunderstood since people started saying that it would be a ripoff and blahblahblah. Let's go back to the topic now. XD)

I really hope that there might also be some backstory behind everything. Or maybe some sort of mystery behind the origins of the racecourses? And we might be able to unlock Legendary Pokemon! Events are so imaginable!! ^^`

It's still an incredibly derivative idea. Kart racers have had their time and any new attempts to cash in on a franchise as such would appear very uninspired and late to the party.

Pokémon itself does not lend itself to fantastical environments and memorable characters nearly as well as other franchises that have tried the Kart Racing formula, either.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    It's still an incredibly derivative idea. Kart racers have had their time and any new attempts to cash in on a franchise as such would appear very uninspired and late to the party.

Pokémon itself does not lend itself to fantastical environments and memorable characters nearly as well as other franchises that have tried the Kart Racing formula, either.

Gotta say I agree with this guy. I really feel like an attempt to make a Kart racing game would be... lackluster to say the least. Plus there are so many characters to go along with the games that a) you're not going to have all 600+ Pokémon in here which will already make some people mad and b) you won't be able to make the racers vividly different, making choices between racing as idk Golem and Aggron not much of a choice at all. It just seems like a pointless idea that would only be made to milk a money cow. :(

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    I voted yes, but I wouldn't shout it out that loudly.
    I think a Pokemon racing game would be interesting, but a blatant ripoff of MarioKart would be awful. That was a great game, and throwing in Pokemon would ruin it.
    Got to agree here though. It would simply be an aesthetic change to the game, and I wouldn't pay $50 for it. If it was a free WiiWare game, though, I would download it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah to expand on what I said before - in the games we don't get to see many individual Pokémon with a unique personality, just members of a species of Pokémon with a vague description of their behaviour, and the environments throughout the games generally stick to a fairly realistic deception of towns and cities along with natural environments like forests and caves.

If you were to compare this to Mario, there's a large cast of colourful characters who've spun a lot of different games and we've seen a lot of diverse and fantastical levels throughout the series.

As for actual roster sizes, the only option would be to either have a small cast of playable characters with unique vehicles like Mario Kart or to fit all of them in just create generic vehicles and re-use very basic graphics like the 3D models from My Pokémon Ranch.

ElectricScyther

The lessons we learn
    Years
    Yeah to expand on what I said before - in the games we don't get to see many individual Pokémon with a unique personality, just members of a species of Pokémon with a vague description of their behaviour, and the environments throughout the games generally stick to a fairly realistic deception of towns and cities along with natural environments like forests and caves.

If you were to compare this to Mario, there's a large cast of colourful characters who've spun a lot of different games and we've seen a lot of diverse and fantastical levels throughout the series.
    This is what needs to change about Pokemon.
    But really, though, maybe a "Pokemon Mario Kart" ripoff would change that somehow. We'd get to see CPU-controlled Sneasels sabotaging you, Machamps all-out attacking, etc. to help flesh out their personalities.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
    Okay I think some of us are misunderstanding the point. [...] And who knows, it doesn't have to be all from MarioKart, I'm sure there are lots more ideas to be invented by viewing other racing games.

Not really. You just clarified what everybody was basically saying:this would copy of another game, one way or another. You used the word "invented" but I doubt that would be true for the following reason:

Maybe if it was a brand new independent game not related to any existing franchise, it might actually work out, but I wouldn't get it anyway. 100 Mega Shock already said that brand new Kart games wouldn't be very hot anyway, and the reason why I'm shooting down Pokekart is because throwing Pokemon into it would only be trying to leech of Pokemon's success, and then would be tagged as a wannabe.

However, 100 Mega Shock, I have to disagree in that the recent MarioKart has rarely provided anything "special", and that Pokemon can create plenty of cool courses. Most of the tracks (on Mariokart) look pretty man-made. And those ones like Rainbow Road or something aren't really spectacular at all, kind of boring actually.
    On the other hand, the Distortion World, Electric Cave, etc. begs to differ.

...Honestly, the above "Pokemon can be special too" is kind of forced by myself, since I've never liked how Mario doesn't make sense.

In other words, Diamond1304 and gang, I respect you would like to see this happening, but I think this would be a big mistake on Gamefreak's part. Sorry. Maybe you could make this using Game Maker? I could, but I'm not motivated and I don't have 8.0 anyway. For people who know what I'm talking about, I don't plan getting that thing ever, it's weird and hard to use.

Years
    Not really. You just clarified what everybody was basically saying:this would copy of another game, one way or another. You used the word "invented" but I doubt that would be true for the following reason:

Maybe if it was a brand new independent game not related to any existing franchise, it might actually work out, but I wouldn't get it anyway. 100 Mega Shock already said that brand new Kart games wouldn't be very hot anyway, and the reason why I'm shooting down Pokekart is because throwing Pokemon into it would only be trying to leech of Pokemon's success, and then would be tagged as a wannabe.

However, 100 Mega Shock, I have to disagree in that the recent MarioKart has rarely provided anything "special", and that Pokemon can create plenty of cool courses. Most of the tracks (on Mariokart) look pretty man-made. And those ones like Rainbow Road or something aren't really spectacular at all, kind of boring actually.
    On the other hand, the Distortion World, Electric Cave, etc. begs to differ.

...Honestly, the above "Pokemon can be special too" is kind of forced by myself, since I've never liked how Mario doesn't make sense.

In other words, Diamond1304 and gang, I respect you would like to see this happening, but I think this would be a big mistake on Gamefreak's part. Sorry. Maybe you could make this using Game Maker? I could, but I'm not motivated and I don't have 8.0 anyway. For people who know what I'm talking about, I don't plan getting that thing ever, it's weird and hard to use.

What I meant was we could take some bit of this and that from other places and it didn't have to be all torn apart from MarioKart, which is what everyone seems to be thinking... And I don't think we have a right to say what sells and what not(That exact situation backfired on the Pokemon haters), as I'm pretty sure that they are more Pokemon fan-gamers out in the world than PC so we can't just state that "Oh this won't sell good" unless you're some marketeer or economist.

The bottomline is that I'm not saying or suggesting that a Pokemon racing game be ripped off from MarioKart or any other, just something to that sort. Besides all racing games have the same mechanics. You play as a driver, you race, you unlock some stuff in the game, blahblahblah. So are you trying to say that every racing game on Earth is a ripoff from others? It's kinda obvious, no. Yes, Mario and Pokemon have differences, which is of course. Mario has a fixed set of characters in the story but Pokemon is flooding with them. But if GF managed with Rangers, I think this racing game wouldn't be a problem. And don't go misunderstanding that I'm trying to say that we should've all 649 Pokemon as drivers.

One thing, actually how many of us have played and maybe completed the MarioKart game? If you hadn't even tried the games yet you blast this idea down, then it's just unfair and I don't wish to argue with people like this. I didn't come here to be dictate what's wrong and right, I just wanted to share maybe a suggestion or two of a little idea. It's just the core, for Pete's sake. "Have a Pokemon racing game!" Nothing further than that line!

Now let's put this there and behind us and stop sidetracking(Well I doubt we are but let's just sprinkle some salt that we are xD)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Pokémon Ranger still revolves about people, though? Don't try and stifle discussion because it doesn't agree with you.

And yes, the "Mascot Character and other members of <Popular Franchise> drive around in on arcadey courses with some form of items" is a very specific genre of game, one that lends itself almost completely to clutching at Mario Karts' success.

For that matter, who would develop such a game and why would Nintendo feel inclined to greenlight such a project? Even at the Franchise Kart Racers' peak we only else saw Diddy Kong Racing published by Nintendo (Which for the majority of its development had nothing to do with Donkey Kong)

We've already seen a Pokémon racing game in the form of Dash, which was panned by pretty much everyone who reviewed it and hardly set the charts alight.

Last edited:
    Back