• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and Witch Craft Questions?

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    Ok I will stopped at any yard sale I see and ask instead of looking "do you have any thing pokemon related" well today I stopped at one and asked, the woman said "no it's witchcraft related" ok so now my questions, who thinks this? What is the logic behind that reason? Why would some one say that? I would never think pokemon was any thing evil at all ever.
    Sorry if this needs to be moved, I didn't see a Mod. on that I could ask first.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    The lady said some thing about the church not believing it because it was witch craft, I just shrugged it off and left, it doesn't make any sense to me why some one would think a game was evil, but get this she ask her son what he was into and he said "zombies" I mean really?

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
    Years
    ya I understand all this other stuff that could be witch craft but they say Pokemon I just don't understand I mean there are creepy pokedex entry but its just stupid that just what I think lol

ShiningLust

Gym Leader of Ground Oden
    Years
    yes I understand that I feel the same way u do. I used to have a friend that he said that he saw Pokemon come to life and would try to kill him?

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
    Bulbapedia has an interesting section on controversies about pokemon, just look up "controversy" on bulbapedia.

All the supposed "arguments" trying to link pokemon up with controversy are downright ignorant or desperate. Pokemon contain certain motifs which may serve as breeding grounds for conspiracy theories or misconceptions, e.g. supernatural powers, symbolism, magic etc. I don't think this justifies anything though, the real reason behind these controversies is the popularity of the franchise. Lots of people- especially young people- spend a substantial amount of time, money and effort on it. Anything that causes as big a splash as pokemon can hardly keep everyone's brow undisturbed.

This line in the bulbapedia essay sums this up pretty well:

There have been numerous controversies over events, images, names, and other themes stemming from Pokémon. This is likely due to the game's extreme popularity eliciting a backlash from some members of society.

LAWSICK

see you next mission.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2016
    in Pokemon's early life, there was a lot of defamatory surrounding the franchise and its likely that the woman is familiar with them and followed through with it as Shamol had mentioned: supernatural powers, symbolism, magic.... my guess this was probably because Pokemon had psychic and ghost-types involved in the franchise. i mean, could anyone imagine if dark-types were called "evil-types" instead like in Japanese versions? people would flip...

i remember when i was real young i had a friend who wasn't allowed to collect Pokemon cards because his mother believed (and his entire family were devoted Christians) that the cards were somehow associated with the devil.

i think your instance with this woman is unique however; i don't hear people really calling Pokemon witchcraft at all nowadays since its already widely accepted as a kids' thing.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    Here is some reading on how Pokemon are satanic and encourage witchcraft.
    I do not see how allowing children to play with games that encourage fighting, reading of minds, use of poison, mimicry, taunting, teleportation, hypnosis, and evolution can be a good thing. This is not training a child to righteousness, it is accepting the occult and secular evolution. Is this what we, as Christians, want our children to meditate on? Of course not.
    https://carm.org/more-stuff/features/pokemon-what-it
    In Pokemon, trainers summon one of their Pokemon to battle other monsters and they use them as guardians. In Wicca, guardians known as Watchtowers, are called. These spirits (and sometimes animals) are called by them to protect them from 'evil' spirits while they open themselves up to these spirits during rituals - the circle, the pentagram, etc all provide a 'safe' area to practice. (In Pokemon, the monsters are held in a Pokeball until the master summons them). In witchcraft, these spirits are summoned and called to stay in the circle until needed to fight off bad spirits.
    https://walkingintruth.blogspot.com/2005/07/truth-behind-pokemon.html
    Okay okay, I can't even quote this site because it's so hilarious
    https://church-of-illumination.com/pokemon-satanic-top8

And a nice video, illuminating the evils of pokemon
    https://www.theboredninja.com/videos/christian-extremist-explain-pokemon/

Now, a lot of what you'll find on the internet about pokemon being evil, satanic, or tools of witches is old...
    But not all of it, some people still hold to it that pokemon is evil and a tool of the devil.

ChipmunkGamingInc.

Owner of Chipmunk Gaming Inc.
    Years
    I understand where you're coming from, RNC. My mom doesn't really like Pokemon, but she doesn't consider it witch craft. And then, zombies? Really? Really. Makes no sense, honestly. Isn't dead people being brought back to life AFTER being killed considered witch craft? A lot of people are concerned more of animal abuse *cough* PETA *cough cough* but there are others, mostly religious people that think of it as evil. Personally, I do not see any relation to any evil here. I mean, guys. Come on. Look at Jigglypuff!! Does Jigglypuff look like an evil dark mastermind to you?!?

Here is some reading on how Pokemon are satanic and encourage witchcraft.

Now, a lot of what you'll find on the internet about pokemon being evil, satanic, or tools of witches is old...
    But not all of it, some people still hold to it that pokemon is evil and a tool of the devil.

THIS SITE IS CORRUPT!! Sorry, I can't link to it though. Just go to it. It's sad. And too hilarious!! Siriously? Here's my analysis:

1. Psychic Pokemon do not promote witch craft. Get your facts right. And as far as the head shape, THOSE POINTY THINGS ON IT'S HEAD ARE CALLED EARS!!

2. That was just ONE Hypno. It doesn't count.

3. Wut. Quote: Pikachu evolves into a rather feminine looking Pokemon. Okay, Raichu doesn't look feminine to me. That's just my opinion, okay? And I was under the impression that Pikachu's tail represented a lightning bolt? My life is a lie. *cough* NOT *cough cough*

4. Aerodactyl does not evolve from a fossil. He is resurrected from a fossil. Again, get your facts right. And I grew up in a Christian home, and we never learned that dinosaurs were put on the earth by the devil to deceive us.

5. I have no witty retort for this one. Oh, wait, yes I do. Gangar is not a Ghost, he is a Ghost TYPE. Difference!! And a massive one too!!

6. First off, Pokemon evolution is not changing over millions of years. They evolve in a matter of two seconds. Again again, get your facts right.

7. Mewtwo, huh? Well, you see, if only God is allowed to create life, then why do we have children? OH YOU JUST GOT PWND!!

8. Ho-oh. Why...? Okay, this deals with some interesting subjects. First, Ho-oh isn't rainbow. He's not. Just leave it at that. He's a few colors, bright and vibrant ones, yes. But really? I won't even touch on this. Just go read it for yourself.

Last edited:

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    I understand where you're coming from, RNC. My mom doesn't really like Pokemon, but she doesn't consider it witch craft. And then, zombies? Really? Really. Makes no sense, honestly. Isn't dead people being brought back to life AFTER being killed considered witch craft? A lot of people are concerned more of animal abuse *cough* PETA *cough cough* but there are others, mostly religious people that think of it as evil. Personally, I do not see any relation to any evil here. I mean, guys. Come on. Look at Jigglypuff!! Does Jigglypuff look like an evil dark mastermind to you?!?

THIS SITE IS CORRUPT!! Sorry, I can't link to it though. Just go to it. It's sad. And too hilarious!! Siriously? Here's my analysis:

1. Psychic Pokemon do not promote witch craft. Get your facts right. And as far as the head shape, THOSE POINTY THINGS ON IT'S HEAD ARE CALLED EARS!!

2. That was just ONE Hypno. It doesn't count.

3. Wut. Quote: Pikachu evolves into a rather feminine looking Pokemon. Okay, Raichu doesn't look feminine to me. That's just my opinion, okay? And I was under the impression that Pikachu's tail represented a lightning bolt? My life is a lie. *cough* NOT *cough cough*

4. Aerodactyl does not evolve from a fossil. He is resurrected from a fossil. Again, get your facts right. And I grew up in a Christian home, and we never learned that dinosaurs were put on the earth by the devil to deceive us.

5. I have no witty retort for this one. Oh, wait, yes I do. Gangar is not a Ghost, he is a Ghost TYPE. Difference!! And a massive one too!!

6. First off, Pokemon evolution is not changing over millions of years. They evolve in a matter of two seconds. Again again, get your facts right.

7. Mewtwo, huh? Well, you see, if only God is allowed to create life, then why do we have children? OH YOU JUST GOT PWND!!

8. Ho-oh. Why...? Okay, this deals with some interesting subjects. First, Ho-oh isn't rainbow. He's not. Just leave it at that. He's a few colors, bright and vibrant ones, yes. But really? I won't even touch on this. Just go read it for yourself.

Yeah see that's what I didn't understand, "no pokemon, but zombies?" I mean if you going to say pokemon is evil and zombies not, that makes no sense at all to me, being a christian or not, if you going to believe in evil you need to know which is which.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
    If a person's beliefs made them want to stay away from anything to do with animals/people having more power than in real life, such as also believing that superheroes are evil, then I can understand.

If a person believes that mythology is evil, even those which were never accepted as a religion, then I can understand. Back in generation 1, when these critics made the most noise, there were no such things. But modern-day legendary pokemon do have their designs based on real actual mythical gods.

At the end of the day, a woman in a yard sale who believes whatever she wants to believe doesn't bother me so long as she doesn't apply double standards to her beliefs. (e.g, "I won't let my children play those darn pokeymans, but I'll let them watch Spider Man and Ninja Turtles instead.")

The fact that these critics were loudest when Pokémon was first introduced, with bad arguments that stuff like Mewtwo represented gods, but not, say, when legendaries actually based on gods came about, goes to show that these critics were just taking advantage of parents' confusion while the fad was new. -_- *eyeroll*

Last edited:

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
    If a person's beliefs made them want to stay away from anything to do with animals/people having more power than in real life, such as also believing that superheroes are evil, then I can understand.

If a person believes that mythology is evil, even those which were never accepted as a religion, then I can understand. Back in generation 1, when these critics made the most noise, there were no such things. But modern-day legendary pokemon do have their designs based on actual mythical gods.

At the end of the day, a woman in a yard sale who believes whatever she wants to believe doesn't bother me so long as she doesn't apply double standards to her beliefs. (e.g, "I won't let my children play those darn pokeymans, but I'll let them watch Spider Man and Ninja Turtles instead.")

The fact that these critics were loudest when Pokémon was first introduced, with bad arguments that stuff like Mewtwo represented gods, but not, say when legendaries actually based on gods came about, goes to show that these critics were just taking advantage of parents' confusion while the fad was new. -_- *eyeroll*

I wanted to respond to this but don't want to offend any one with what I believe but if it was her religious belief pokemon wouldn't be witch craft, it would just be an evil thing or am I wrong? No pokemon can do witch craft.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    If you search on youtube, there is a series of videos that show clips from extreme-christian shows that slams childrens' television.

It mentioned the demonic pokémon (japanese demons!) as well as My Little Pony and a plethora of other, well known programs.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    That's it.
    We're going to burn all the things and go back to living off the land.

I betcha they'd find a way to tell us trees are evil at that point ;)

Back