• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank and Transfer.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Answer this then - Will I be able to trade from 5th gen to 6th gen, without having to pay $5 a year?

No. I won't. Because this trade requires you to pay for the bank service.

And what I'm saying is, that the ability to transfer between generations isn't a given in Pokemon. Yes, people are annoyed that this is the way that they've come up with to make it available... but isn't it better to have a $5 fee (or use the free trial) to transfer rather than not allowing any transfer at all (like from Gen 2 to Gen 3)? That is my point.

Players seem to think that they're entitled to have all of their old Pokemon with them, and we're really not. It's even happened before in Pokemon. What other video game series allows you to essentially copy progress or achievements from one game to another? In almost every game, you start from scratch.

Here, they're giving you a relatively low cost option to easily move your hard work from one game to another. If you don't like it, you are of course, free to start with a blank slate. I just really don't understand why this is such a big deal, especially with the way that almost every other game company is charging outrageous prices for DLC.

I don't think they will lower the number of boxes in X&Y. I think the boxes will be 24 again but you can only store 720 Pokemon, and there are 649 Pokemon now. So, that's why they used the term "limited".. You can't fill your Pokedex without the Bank.

I don't even know if we can say that they won't increase the box total. "Limited" just means a finite amount. I think, theoretically, they could expand the Bank to be unlimited, though most people probably won't have more than 1000 Pokemon to put in there right off the bat.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    And what I'm saying is, that the ability to transfer between generations isn't a given in Pokemon. Yes, people are annoyed that this is the way that they've come up with to make it available... but isn't it better to have a $5 fee (or use the free trial) to transfer rather than not allowing any transfer at all (like from Gen 2 to Gen 3)? That is my point.

Players seem to think that they're entitled to have all of their old Pokemon with them, and we're really not. It's even happened before in Pokemon. What other video game series allows you to essentially copy progress or achievements from one game to another? In almost every game, you start from scratch.

Here, they're giving you a relatively low cost option to easily move your hard work from one game to another. If you don't like it, you are of course, free to start with a blank slate. I just really don't understand why this is such a big deal, especially with the way that almost every other game company is charging outrageous prices for DLC.
    Gracias, Thanks for saying that. I said the same thing before on this thread, we aren't entitled to getting transfers, so we should be glad we were given a method. I think GF did the one month free trial for those who simply want to transfer (well as long as you buy XY in the three or so months before release).

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Has anyone mention what limitations they are gonna put on the bank?
    For example the last transfer systems werent accessible until post game, so what to prevent someone to bring in a level 100 pokemon as soon as they buy the game sometime in 2014?

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    Gracias, Thanks for saying that. I said the same thing before on this thread, we aren't entitled to getting transfers, so we should be glad we were given a method. I think GF did the one month free trial for those who simply want to transfer (well as long as you buy XY in the three or so months before release).

One month...
    that's enough time to get wherever you need to in the game (likely post game)
    and then transfer everything.

There is one more problem I've thought of. What if they do more Gen V events, after the free trial is up? I mean...that'd suck....cause then you can't transfer them for free.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    There is one more problem I've thought of. What if they do more Gen V events, after the free trial is up? I mean...that'd suck....cause then you can't transfer them for free.

I'd be surprised if they were doing events for a previous generation... but I can't remember, did any Gen IV/V events overlap?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    I'd be surprised if they were doing events for a previous generation... but I can't remember, did any Gen IV/V events overlap?

Yes actually 4 events did manphy and the legendary dogs. But that was because BW came out in Japan in September and the US 6 months later

I assume since this is a world release they would stop all BW events after the 12th

Years
    I'm not sure yet what I think of this feature. I will definitely get it if it's the only way to transfer pokémon from previous games. I won't mind paying if it's not too high of a fee. I am really hoping this feature unlocks at the start of the game so I can build up my starting team for the main story. I think it would be awesome to have one pokémon from each generation on my team since this is the sixth generation but I'll have to change my plans if this isn't an early game feature.

Years
    I'm not sure yet what I think of this feature. I will definitely get it if it's the only way to transfer pokémon from previous games. I won't mind paying if it's not too high of a fee. I am really hoping this feature unlocks at the start of the game so I can build up my starting team for the main story. I think it would be awesome to have one pokémon from each generation on my team since this is the sixth generation but I'll have to change my plans if this isn't an early game feature.

Well if you're getting the game on October or November, or early December you won't be able to even if it unlocks early as it won't be available until the 25th in Japan and the 27th in the UK. Does anyone know when it'll be released for the US and the rest of the world?

Years
    Well if you're getting the game on October or November, or early December you won't be able to even if it unlocks early as it won't be available until the 25th in Japan and the 27th in the UK. Does anyone know when it'll be released for the US and the rest of the world?

I guess it's okay that it's most likely a later release. At least the option will be out there and if I get a game stolen again at least I can have my favorite pokémon safe after this feature comes out. Years ago my Ruby version was stolen and that was horrible. I'll have to just play the game with the new pokémon like everybody else lol. I was hoping to have fun breeding level 1's to play through X but that's not very fair for a first of its kind game anyway. I think I will end up getting this service regardless :)

The only thing I worry about is how safe this cloud server will be. I don't want to worry about hackers eventually learning how to get into it and mess things up. Hackers like challenges nowadays.

Years
    I lost a game (Fr) so keeping them somewhere like a cloud would be nice. However I'm also worried about people possibly hacking PokéBank...so I'm not sure where I'll store my favorites

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    so what to prevent someone to bring in a level 100 pokemon as soon as they buy the game sometime in 2014?
    Badge check system that's already in the game? It seems unlikely that they would remove the badge level limitations on traded Pokemon, and since the OT and number won't match on the Pokemon transferred to X/Y, it won't "obey the trainer" because the player doesn't have the right amount of badges.

As for the threat of hacking, it seems funny that a hacker would spend their time to enter Nintendo's data base to steal some young kid's Pokemon (when there are already easier ways to hack Pokemon). But even if a hacker gets into the storage data, it's not like Nintendo won't have back-ups of everything, so they can easily restore anything lost.

Years
    I'm happy about this since it blocks out "cheated" Pokemon! Hack checking ftw!
    Me too, I detest "cheat" Pokemon with a passion, so knowing that last generation's will mostly (if not all) won't be coming back is nice to see :).

However I wonder if it'll also block those hacked in generation IV, especially those that date as far back as Gen III or if those will pass without notice...hope not.

Years
    It can if its the same program that banned players using hacked Pokemon in the last Wi-Fi Tournament. I know I can't use three pokemon I got from friends because they were 4th and 3rd gen hacks when using them on Black and White. Couldn't use them even while they were in my battle box and everything.
    That's great to hear :D! Now all three previous generations of hacks will be gone now :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    I'm happy about this since it blocks out "cheated" Pokemon! Hack checking ftw!

I'm happy about his too, but sadly there are still 'legit' ways of hacking. For example RNG. I don't consider that crap legit (since you are still using a third party program to better yourself in the game) but the bank check will not recognize it as a hacked Pokemon sadly.

DamienHelvian

Years
    They must've improved on the Checksum system from the older gens.
    I know they started it with hacked breeding, cause a failed checksum produces a bad egg....
    I wonder how much difference there is in the new system.
    And I wonder how long it will take, before someone figures out the right Checksum and manages to make a perfect hack.

Years
    I don't think they ever will...at least not this generation as the 3DS has updates which are meant to combat hacking and these updates apply to games too, not just the system, so when someone get's close they'll proably change the goal post and so on.

DamienHelvian

Years
    I don't think they ever will...at least not this generation as the 3DS has updates which are meant to combat hacking and these updates apply to games too, not just the system, so when someone get's close they'll proably change the goal post and so on.

You do understand that means, every time someone cracks the checksum, they'll have to completely rewrite it, right? That's a very tedious process, and they'll have to do that, for every single new game.

Years
    You do understand that means, every time someone cracks the checksum, they'll have to completely rewrite it, right? That's a very tedious process, and they'll have to do that, for every single new game.
    Well they're already doing it...with the system, so what's changing one game's code? besides they don't have to rewrite all of it, they can change enough to trip it, and then change it again...I like the idea of trolling with hackers :3

Back