• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank

Will you be doing the same thing?

• Yeah, I probably would...

Votes: 87 74.4%
  • Nah, I'll stick to breeding instead.

Votes: 30 25.6%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2014
    Man, honestly, it's like as if I am being tortured right now, like literally I can't wait any longer for the Pokemon bank to come out. The only thing I'm doing now is just checking Nintendo's twitter like every 1min, I really hope Nintendo brings out the Bank before New Years Eve, it'll be upsetting if they don't release it by then... :(

Years
    Yup, you're right. As the Bank is limited in distribution at the moment, however, it'd be extremely difficult to see Gen 2-4 starters in a ball other than Pokeball until at least Bank releases.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I'm curious as to which of those balls will actually be able to be passed down. We already know the Master Ball isn't passed by breeding so it does beg the question of whether special event balls will be passable. I seriously doubt it but see no reason the Dream Ball shouldn't. Granted it might not pass either due to it's special nature.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I'm curious as to which of those balls will actually be able to be passed down. We already know the Master Ball isn't passed by breeding so it does beg the question of whether special event balls will be passable. I seriously doubt it but see no reason the Dream Ball shouldn't. Granted it might not pass either due to it's special nature.

It's possible, as the Dream Ball is apparently in the data of X and Y, even if it's not usable in game: https://www.serebii.net/itemdex/dreamball.shtml

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Ummmm..... Helloooo Nintendo??
    You brought the e-Shop back, and where is Pokemon Bank? I want to download it, not to read stupid information I already know.

No but seriously, they can release Pokemon Bank today. An they better will do it 'cause I want my Celebi!

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
    Anybody notice that all Pokébank Mon are in Pokeballs? Is this just because of breeding Males with Ditto? I understand the starters but I haven't seen a single Pokébank Mon in anything but a regular Pokeball. Does Pokebank not recognize the original Ball or is this just chance?

As others have stated I should imagine that people are only transferring the Pokemon that are of use to them. As such it is going to be high IV Pokemon that get transferred, and those are bred 90% of the time (RNG making up the rest, guess % estimates obviously)

As there was no transferring of Pokeballs in previous generations - a bred Pokemon didn't keep it's mothers Pokeball but instead just had a regular Pokeball it makes sense.

Years
    This would be so much easier to deal with if we had an idea of when we were getting Bank! If they'd said "Sorry folks something went wrong, delayed for two weeks", at least we'd know. But no it just gets pulled from the store and we have no ETA at all. Poke-limbo :(

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
    PokéTransfer is back up in Japan, but PokéBank itself can't be downloaded anywhere. It's a small step, but at least something's happening.

RedWar

Learning...
    Years
    Also, apparently, the servers running the pokebank were fine, it's the servers used to verify sign in data, signing up information and payment information. Those were apparently the same servers as eShop, but once you get past THAT part, the pokebank servers were apparently perfectly fine.

Didn't the problem come about because the geniuses over at Nintendo decided to start tying everything to a Nintendo ID, forcing everyone to make one and assign their 3DS to it, at the exact same time as new 3DS's and Wii Us for xmas AND a hugely awaited release on the eshop?

Yeah, can see why no one at nintendo thought it would be a problem...

LightBlast

I am fire. I am... death!
    Years
    They don't lose anything from an extended trial period so why shouldn't they do it? They would risk the rage of the fanbase otherwise.

LicensedJet

Playing Pokémon Y ~
    Years
    With the cost being each year rather than monthly I would consider it given I enjoyed the free trial, though I don't think I will be able to as I can't seem to find my Pokémon Black cart!

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    The longer they leave it, the more ridiculous and unprofessional they are being. My argument is they should have seen the overload coming and prepared for it. Now they are making us wait for something they have announced months ago and knew that millions of people would be downloading on the day of its release and using the excuse that they "didn't see the high volume of traffic coming" ...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The longer they leave it, the more ridiculous and unprofessional they are being. My argument is they should have seen the overload coming and prepared for it. Now they are making us wait for something they have announced months ago and knew that millions of people would be downloading on the day of its release and using the excuse that they "didn't see the high volume of traffic coming" ...

I'm with you on that. It's really difficult to understand how Nintendo could not have forseen this. It's a super popular app for a super popular game, and it was released on Christmas. Doesn't take a genius to see that the server(s) will have to deal with a massive amount of strain and something should've been done to prevent that.

Though part of me wonders if they are also trying to fix the hack check, since it seems that a bunch of hacked pokes got through when that wasn't suppossed to happen.

I just wish they'd give us a godamned ETA already.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

I'm with you on that. It's really difficult to understand how Nintendo could not have forseen this. It's a super popular app for a super popular game, and it was released on Christmas. Doesn't take a genius to see that the server(s) will have to deal with a massive amount of strain and something should've been done to prevent that.

Though part of me wonders if they are also trying to fix the hack check, since it seems that a bunch of hacked pokes got through when that wasn't suppossed to happen.

I just wish they'd give us a godamned ETA already.

Who are you to say that they didn't foresee this and take appropriate action? A server, even if believed to hold the ability to withstand the stress can still break before that stress level is reached. Its just a computer, an object.

It was an unforeseeable outcome. There was no way to predict this would happen. It happens on MMOs all the time. The server will run fine for months with no problem and then all of a sudden the server will not work even when it hasn't reached its full capacity. Things happen and they have to try and fix it as soon as they can.

There was nothing that could have been done beyond what they already did. Errors can still happen with new objects. Look at the PS4s that had early release. They had a malfunction but the systems themselves had no physical damage or structural damage. It just didn't work they way it was intended.

The PSN network goes through this issue once every 2 or 3 months with specific game released. It is capable of holding the stress of maintaining millions of users. It crashes before it reaches its maximum quota.

As for the ETA, you cannot give an ETA with programs. They have to constantly monitor the stress on the server and keep doing minor adjustments until they find a stable enough level. Its only been 2 days since the original release. It can take up to at least a week, so don't expect anything until Early-mid January.

I am quite used to dealing with these sorta set backs. Every game on every system I play goes through this. This is possibly the first time I've seen Nintendo have this kind of trouble so its to be expected that they aren't quite sure where to level off the stress from use. Wait patiently. We aren't even halfway through an expected wait time for them to fix the issue.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    Who are you to say that they didn't foresee this and take appropriate action?

Because they told us exactly that. They said they didn't expect such a massive turnover of people trying to download the app and that's why it crashed. Nintendo openly admitted they weren't prepared for it.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Because they told us exactly that. They said they didn't expect such a massive turnover of people trying to download the app and that's why it crashed. Nintendo openly admitted they weren't prepared for it.

Not expecting it and not being prepared for it are two different things. We prepare all year long for one specific day in our store. We expect many things to happen and every time we hit that specific date, our expectations are always exceeded. The server is made to withstand heavy loads. Just because they don't expect there to be that much stress, doesn't mean they did not prep the server for such. It can crash before meeting the maximum quantity allowed. Prep work and not expecting things don't necessarily go hand in hand. No amount of preparations can ever meet the expectation of a new item of heavy traffic days. Until you get used to it it will cause major issues for everyone.

Back to the story, we expected a full house, prepared for it. Got more than a full house, but due to limitations on people allowed in the store we can only run with full capacity. All registers running, line to check out going halfway through the store. We were more than well prepared, but even with the preparations the expectations exceeded what we could do until we all adjusted to the speed in which people came to us.

That is what they have to do with the servers. Even though it may be able to hold a lot of people, if that many have never been on before it will crash due to it not having to deal with it before. They have to slowly micromanage the data influx until it stabilizes. They could have prepared for way worse, but their expectations weren't that high. It may cause some issues, but expectations and preparation are not the same.

There are too many unknown outside factors that can ruin any amount of expectation and any one of those factors can throw all your preparation into the trash. All you can do is adjust and fix.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Ya gotta admit, though, that the Pokemon Bank not being available is really annoying.

Back