• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokemon Black and White 3: Genesis (COMPLETE!)

Years
    • Seen today
    Yep, it was completed back in March, when the thread title was changed from "demo" to "version 1.0 released" (the latest version in the download is now v1.2, which had some rounds of minor bugfixes).

This is actually a good point though, I'll edit the title to make it more apparent that it's completed.

J. D. Guy

Pokemon Fan Forever!
    Years
    • Seen today
    Yep, it was completed back in March, when the thread title was changed from "demo" to "version 1.0 released" (the latest version in the download is now v1.2, which had some rounds of minor bugfixes).

This is actually a good point though, I'll edit the title to make it more apparent that it's completed.

Awesome!

That means I'll need to start a fresh playthrough, since its been a hot minute since I played before. (Back then, you could make it up to the entrance of Twist Mountain, I think.)

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    A shame we dont have special abilities in this. I'm fine without using natures for this but the lack of abilities leaves the gameplay a tad bland. I still enjoy this though.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Sorry for the double post, I just beat the game, very well done! I can't wait to try this again on the polished engine when the time comes.

A few things to suggest for that time, if at all possible;

1: Samurott line needs Sacred Sword in its movepool like it has had since gen 6. Its a egg move there made possible by smeargle copying either the swords of justice or a honedge. In this it might be better to make it a red shard or yellow shard tutor move, it can then become a move a few other pokemon can learn to justify Samurott getting this movepool. Also I would reccomend giving it Razor Shell, as that is traditionally its signature move.

2: Might be a good idea to change the types of some HM moves, allowing them some additional viability. Cut is often made a grass or steel move for example. Perhaps giving it a critical hit chance might also be useful. Likewise Strength might be better as a rock type attack or fighting type attack with a chance to raise the user's attack.

3: Fix the way the DVs/IVs work on specific genders. In vanilla crystal, I cant remember if this was a bug or not but female pokemon were more often than not weaker than their male counterparts, and I saw that on occasion this issue still exists in the hack, as my Gigalith's attack was a 1 out of 15. This was because gender values affected the attack stat, somehow. Also shiny pokemon never had DVs/IVs for their special attack and special defense above 10, despite how in the 2nd gen games shinies were supposed stronger than their standard forms.

4: More moves (if possible). I mentioned Razor Shell above but there were a few other pokemon who lacked necessary moves (IMO). Gigalith without Heavy Slam or Iron Head feels wrong, even if it isnt a steel type pokemon for example. This is critical when we factor the polished engine adds special/hidden abilities as a lot of pokemon will be grossly underpowered without a certain move to work with a specific ability.

5: More TM variety. This technically could fit under suggestion 4 but having more TMs can help in the long run. The mall on route 9 should have more than just the moves for Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard/Hyper Beam, something I always found lacking in both B/W 1 and 2. BEcause it is a late game store, you can get away with adding more very useful TMs there.

6: Last suggestion; Its a shame the world tournament has no further use after you beat it, this should maintain it's purpose as a Battle Frontier location. What would be cool though is that we see different game modes for the world tournament, something like the way the cups in pokemon stadium 1 and 2 worked. The concept of the Little Cup in competitive play originated in gen 5 as it is, and getting not just battle points for winning but also trophies to use to decorate your bedroom like you could in vanilla crystal would be cool. Would also be cool to get special rare pokemon this way like how in Staium 1 and 2 you got things like a Psyduck with Amnesia (which made it overpowered in gen 1) or a Farfetch'd with Baton Pass in stadium 2. Getting rare pokemon with moves they can't learn any other way would be a nice bonus for world tournament participation.

Years
    • Seen today
    Sorry for the double post, I just beat the game, very well done! I can't wait to try this again on the polished engine when the time comes.

A few things to suggest for that time, if at all possible;

1: Samurott line needs Sacred Sword in its movepool like it has had since gen 6. Its a egg move there made possible by smeargle copying either the swords of justice or a honedge. In this it might be better to make it a red shard or yellow shard tutor move, it can then become a move a few other pokemon can learn to justify Samurott getting this movepool. Also I would reccomend giving it Razor Shell, as that is traditionally its signature move.

2: Might be a good idea to change the types of some HM moves, allowing them some additional viability. Cut is often made a grass or steel move for example. Perhaps giving it a critical hit chance might also be useful. Likewise Strength might be better as a rock type attack or fighting type attack with a chance to raise the user's attack.

3: Fix the way the DVs/IVs work on specific genders. In vanilla crystal, I cant remember if this was a bug or not but female pokemon were more often than not weaker than their male counterparts, and I saw that on occasion this issue still exists in the hack, as my Gigalith's attack was a 1 out of 15. This was because gender values affected the attack stat, somehow. Also shiny pokemon never had DVs/IVs for their special attack and special defense above 10, despite how in the 2nd gen games shinies were supposed stronger than their standard forms.

4: More moves (if possible). I mentioned Razor Shell above but there were a few other pokemon who lacked necessary moves (IMO). Gigalith without Heavy Slam or Iron Head feels wrong, even if it isnt a steel type pokemon for example. This is critical when we factor the polished engine adds special/hidden abilities as a lot of pokemon will be grossly underpowered without a certain move to work with a specific ability.

5: More TM variety. This technically could fit under suggestion 4 but having more TMs can help in the long run. The mall on route 9 should have more than just the moves for Fire Blast/Thunder/Blizzard/Hyper Beam, something I always found lacking in both B/W 1 and 2. BEcause it is a late game store, you can get away with adding more very useful TMs there.

6: Last suggestion; Its a shame the world tournament has no further use after you beat it, this should maintain it's purpose as a Battle Frontier location. What would be cool though is that we see different game modes for the world tournament, something like the way the cups in pokemon stadium 1 and 2 worked. The concept of the Little Cup in competitive play originated in gen 5 as it is, and getting not just battle points for winning but also trophies to use to decorate your bedroom like you could in vanilla crystal would be cool. Would also be cool to get special rare pokemon this way like how in Staium 1 and 2 you got things like a Psyduck with Amnesia (which made it overpowered in gen 1) or a Farfetch'd with Baton Pass in stadium 2. Getting rare pokemon with moves they can't learn any other way would be a nice bonus for world tournament participation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Most of these points will be addressed in the Polished engine update. In particular, Polished has completely detangled DVs from gender and shininess, where the current version of BW3 is using the vanilla Gen 2 DV system.

In terms of move variety, this mostly comes down to the base Gen 2 engine only having room for 255 moves, which is why some moves like Heavy Slam, Razor Shell, etc. aren't in the game. Believe me, it was difficult to decide which ones made the cut, lol! Polished doesn't have expanded move IDs yet, though I do plan to upgrade the engine for BW3 v2.0, whether that's using Polished's plans for 10bit moves, or trying to implement my own engine changes. There's also already plans for more TMs in the Polished update as well.

I'll also be implementing actual battle facilities in the Polished update. That game already has a pretty robust Battle Tower and Battle Factory, and I'm planning to use those engines to make a proper PWT as well. I held off on adding these facilities to the current version, since it seemed like a lot of wasted effort to add them in, just to immediately scrap them for Polished's facilities in the next update. Also, doing so would have made the release of v1.0 take a lot longer, so I decided to leave it for the next update to get the game out in a decent timeframe, lol.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Thats awesome to hear, I had a feeling al that was already considered for the next edition of the game.

What do you think of prizes of the sort I mentioned, BTW? Getting trophies would make sense seeing as how thats something that's never been done outside of ribbons in newer titles (logically having a actual trophy appear in your room would be a given in the main games, and vanilla G/S/C does have trophies as decorations). Likewise super special pokemon with unique movesets outside the norm that are hard or even impossible to get would be cool too.

Years
    • Seen today
    That's an interesting idea. I haven't planned out too much regarding prizes for battle facilities, the main draw will probably be BP for special items, but more unique prizes could be a fun idea for major battles like a Tower Tycoon type character, or maybe beating a Champion in the PWT or something.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Fair enough, I figured I'd mention it since it'd be at the very least a good way to reintroduce the room decoration mechanic from the original games.

Years
    • Seen today
    Is there or will there be a way to make perfect IV's for pokemon?

Not currently. When the next version is released, which will be ported to the Polished Crystal engine, there will be an option to treat all stats as if they have perfect DVs.

Days
    • Seen Dec 25, 2023
    Hi! How do you progress after the second gym? I don't know how to get to the Lostlorn forest. Do I have a wrong version of the game or something? :(

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! How do you progress after the second gym? I don't know how to get to the Lostlorn forest. Do I have a wrong version of the game or something? :(

Lostlorn Forest is south of the Lentimas Outskirt, through the green gate house. You need Cut to get through the forest, it is in the back of the Strange House, which is on the right-most side of the Lentimas Outskirt.

blitz_2k

Kabe
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Not currently. When the next version is released, which will be ported to the Polished Crystal engine, there will be an option to treat all stats as if they have perfect DVs.

And is there an estimation of when it is going to be that release?

J. D. Guy

Pokemon Fan Forever!
    Years
    • Seen today
    And is there an estimation of when it is going to be that release?

From my understanding of things so far, probably not for a fair long while. It's going to be dependent on the completion of another project (Polished Crystal, I think?) before the porting/building of the new version of BW3 Genesis can even begin, so who knows how long that'll be. And even then, it'll likely take a fair long while longer to do said porting/building process.

Azure_Keys will likely explain better once they get here, so think of this as more a quick-response.

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2023
    Hi! Love your game so far, really great work.

Quick question. Is Lucky Egg in this game? If so, roughly how many badges in can I first acquire it?

Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! Love your game so far, really great work.

Quick question. Is Lucky Egg in this game? If so, roughly how many badges in can I first acquire it?

There's one in Undella Town, though you need to pass through Seaside Cave to get to it. It's accessible after you can Surf, which is around mid-game

Back