• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Colosseum/XD looking back

Years
    So lets look back on Pokemon Colosseum and XD.What did you love about these games how about hate?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I loved the change of pace in both games. It was good seeing an RPG with a better plot and aimed at a higher audience with an older character (of course, the latter is more aimed at Colosseum).

As for what I dislike, it would be the lack of selection in Colosseum and the over load of shadow Pokemon in XD. I would have preferred a better balance of around...60, maybe? 40 something was too low and 80 something was too much.

ROFLMAO

DragonMaster<3
    Years
    Colleseum was pretty hard. The fact that theres only 2 time flutes makes the game more challenging. I only used them on entei and suicune but like when you battle the 4 cipher leaders for the badges at realgam tower.... and then you go against the mayor/cipher leader.. it took me liek 2 weeks to beat him :[

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Did it really? Just overtrain before you go into a new area. Climb Mt. Battle til it gets too hard and then go to your next destination. And there are three Time Flutes, actually. Vander gives you one, one is available by U-Disk, and after you defeat Mt. Battle for the first time.

Oh The Places You'll Go.

Whatever will be, will be.
    Years
    In XD,
    the first time around, i was inexperienced in pokemon, and found everything difficult.
    the second time around, i captured those shadow pokemon left and right. boy, was i good.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I thought both were definitely fun. Being to play a game with some similarities to the handhelds in full 3D was the main reason I bought both. While the whole "shadow" thing did seem original, I kinda got annoyed by it as time when on.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I thought both were definitely fun. Being to play a game with some similarities to the handhelds in full 3D was the main reason I bought both. While the whole "shadow" thing did seem original, I kinda got annoyed by it as time when on.

What was really annoying was having to see Rui's (or whatever you named her) face every time there was a shadow Pokemon. It's worse when you've played through the game as many times as I have and you already know what's shadow and what's not.

I named her Dumb on my current file, but I get a cool name. I'm Oberon, King of the Fairies. Hope y'all get the reference.

sanny the hedgehog

Back by popular demand?
    Years
    colosseum- 8
    this was a really great game and its one of my favs still.
    yeah i don't play it that often anymore but my friends and i still look back when we used to play it and man the good times just come flowing! the only flaws i see whit the game is that theres no big things to do after you beat the game. yeah, you can go back to team snagems base, and yeah you can also trade with a gba. but other than that nothing else

XD gale of darkness- 9.5
    in my mind this game was just short of perfection! when you play this game theres no reason you shouldn't be all XD! its just that awesome!! the story is great and so are the graphics, for a game cube game anyway, there are wild pokemon this time around and more shadow pokemon too!! theres also more places you can go. a bummer though that you dont have killer wheels unlike last game (i mean seriously man, that bike was KICK ASS!!) the gameplay stays true to the pokemon series and if you screw up and kill a shadow pokemon somehow mirror B. gets his hands on it and you have multiple chances to catch it again!!!
    HOW GREAT IS THAT XDDD! but anyway, i love this game like no other pokemon console game! if only i had it still. you see when i was younger i didn't really take that much responsibility for some of my stuff. so one night i decided "oh hey tonight would be an excellent night for some XD!" but when i put it in the GC it wouldn't read the game disk.
    i polished it and cleaned it, but no matter how hard i tried it still wouldn't read. so then i just talked to my dad and he told me it was pretty much dead. so then i realized i needed to take better care of my stuff, and that was actually an experience i learned from because ever since then i've taken better care of my stuff! so who said video games cant teach you anything??? although at one point i thought of flushing it down the toliet to try to clean it but the on account of how small it was i decided not to. lol!

Cнαяcнιc

Banned
    Years
    Well never playing XD means I can't say anything about that.

But Colosseum I loved it =D But eventually I got bored, there was not enough Pokémon to steal.

Not that I like stealing, but considering it was the aim of the game I wanted to haha :]

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2009
    I still play XD and I just got Colosseum. In XD, I one hit-pwn anybody who fights my level 100 Groudon and Rayquaza. But they get pwned on Mt. Battle. However, i'll never forget my Aggron, Tyranitar, Hariyama and Jolteon (First pokemon I evolved), the strongest pokemon I didn't get in trades.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    However, i'll never forget my Aggron, Tyranitar, Hariyama and Jolteon (First pokemon I evolved), the strongest pokemon I didn't get in trades.

You actually raised the Makuhita? I remember it's the first thing you Snag in Colosseum...I tried raising it, but there was just something about it I didn't like. Oh yeah. It kept dieing! Maybe the XD one is better, but still...it just...died too much for my likes. Haven't raised a Jolteon in XD, though, but I plan on it being my next one when I get in an XD mood.

Oh and...

Spoiler:

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    Hm... from Colleseum... I think my biggest thing, was seeing them in actual, "nice looking" for what it was, 3D... And when you battled by hooking your GBA up to the GameCube, you could see Green, Emerald, etc in 3D. that is what most excited me... man... now I wanna get it out agian... After I try to beat Majora's Mask...which I've been putting off since like 2004 XD Snag Machine was also awesome.

And... Gardevior looked Kick bum in it.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I only got to play XD, but I really enjoyed it. I liked the concept, I thought the story was decent enough, I liked the characters (even as crazy as they looked), and there was some good music in it. Plus Shadow Lugia looked really cool.

The only thing I didn't really like about it was how easy it seemed. I got through the game only using three team members- Espeon, Ampharos, and Houndoom. I didn't form a full team of six until after I had snagged everything and beaten the final boss several times.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
    I played both loonnggg ago. Boy were they hard. By the end Colosseum my Espeon was rapage and my umbreon was a great wall. But the best part about colosseum was getting the legendary dogs. I had a gamecube-GBA link cable, so i was transferring Pokemon all the time.

But the crappy part about colosseum was that you never got second chances to snag a pokemon like in XD.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    The most fun part I remember is capturing/purifying shadow pokemon. The thing I hate is not being able to catch ANY pokemon you want and only using the pokemon you have, given to you, or captured/purified from the other trainers. It also seemed to have some annoying battles too.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I quote liked both games - the story was neat for one (if with plotholes) - was a nice darker take on the usual happy-go-likely vibe Pokemon games tend to give for the most part, especially then. Heck, the entire region was a desert, with places like Pyrite and the Under. Made for a nice atmosphere. The premise was different too - suddenly, stealing Pokemon, which was forbidden in the handheld games, was the focus.

Characters as well just felt much stronger than most other games. The admins for instance tended to feel more real and likeable (or hateable?) than other bosses or higher-ups of the other criminal gangs. Wes was really enjoyable to play as in Colosseum as well - a teenager protagonist who had worked for a criminal gang and blew stuff up? Hell yeah. Pity I can't really say the same thing about Michael - he was just much more boring and less interesting than Wes was, and given the whole Eevee starter along with doing everything himself when he looked the age of 8 is just a bit much at times (and some would say he has the mould of a Gary Stu... =/). Wes's unexplained disappearance wasn't great either.

Overall XD probably pips Colosseum as there was more to do, really - way more to catch, more to do after the game was beaten (Regleam Tower and the Orre Colosseum), a less annoying save function, better Pokemon/special moves to get out of it... but I did prefer the story of Colosseum more, personally. As for downsides... the lack of routes was a bit of a bummer, admittedly, and people not called Miror B could at times have been made to look a bit better than what they had. The 'wild Pokemon' system in XD wasn't really innovative either, no matter how appealing cake may be - was a bit 'meh' in practise. But overall I quite liked these games - found them to be good fun. (Helps that I quite like Double Battles as well).

Miror B was a standout though. Never saw a more unique/amusing/awesome character as him, and his theme musics = win.

I do wonder if they'll make another one... it is possible when you look at it, but it really depends if they (Genius Sonority) end up making another Pokemon RPG for the Wii, and whether they want to continue the same concept they used. *glances at previous calls XD would not be a Colo sequel before it turned out it was, and usage of Colosseum music in PBR* Nope, not too unlikely, actually... =D
    But the crappy part about colosseum was that you never got second chances to snag a pokemon like in XD.
    Actually, you did. Less obvious than in XD where Miror B would automatically get the Pokemon you missed, but you had an infinite amount of chances at catching Shadow Pokemon you missed.
    SilverSmeargleSplatter said:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Ah, yes, the GameCube games. I spent many an hour playing those, and I don't regret one of them. The storyline, for all the plot holes, seemed more coherent than the handhelds. It wasn't like, "Okay, tell the bad guys to hold on, I gotta take on the Gym Leader first." With the exception of a few sidequests (like Pre Gym), the storyline was exclusively about taking down Cipher.

And Cipher made for better villains than any of the villains in the handhelds. Admins with distinct personalities (Valley girl Lovrina, cold calculating genius Ein, and everyone's favorite groovin' disco star, Miror B.) that you looked forward to taking on. And, especially in Colosseum, the admins employed specific strategies that made them that much trickier (Miror B.'s Rain Dance/Ludicolo, Dakim's Earthquake/Protect and Sunny Day/Solarbeam, Venus's annoyance moves, and Ein's mix of Rain Dance/Thunder, Lightningrod/Flying/Water, and Toxic/Protect/Fly). The games (Colo in particular) felt more challenging, as I found myself constantly retreating to Mt. Battle to train.

The only thing lacking was a choice of being a female or male. For Colo it's less of an issue, because Wes seemed specifically designed for that role, but in XD Michael could have easily had a female counterpart.

Oh, and since these were the ONLY games where you could see Blue/Leaf in 3-D... well, that makes them automatically win :) Along with Miror B. and Ein, of course.

pjofan

Orre Colosseum Leader
    Years
    I really like both games.

In Colosseum, which I have played at least five times, I always train my Espeon and Umbreon, and snag the Quilava. I liked how it was in 3-D and a new region. The parts of it I didn't like were; the fact that you couldn't try a second time to catch Shadows, there wasn't a lot of towns/cities/points of intrest, and third, there weren't many Shadow Pokemon. Also, I didn't like how you had to go to a PC to save, or you had to always watch the scene of your partner seeing the Shadow Pokemon. All in all, I give it a 7.5/10

I think XD was better than Colo. There were twice as many Shadow Pokemon, there were more places to go, and you could catch Shadow Pokemon that you missed. You could also pick if you wanted a Fire, Water, Lightning, Phsycic, Dark, or Normal type. I like how you could now save the game anywhere(except the battles, which would be really cheap). I think the game had a reasonable plot and good Pokemon, but when you got to Citadark Island, the people started having two or more Shadow Pokemon and had moves that would just knock them out easy. On the positive side, this move(Shadow half) was one of many new Shadow moves, which was better than just Shadow Rush. I think I would give this game a 9.5/10

Back