• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]

Can you see?
    I know it seems like I nag, but I'm a little curious.
    How can I edit IMD file?

Oh well I think that light difference is caused by the model's "normals" and not by the material properties. You can try to obtain the exact same result as in the game by going to PDSMS, tileset editor, and disable the option called "uniform normals" for all the materials. This will make the shading of your map very similar to the original (but it will make the map file size bigger, so I usually keep the uniform normals enabled)

Also, it is possible that the tiles in PDSMS have slightly different normals, because I didn't revise those tiles myself, so you might get a slightly different shading (flat shading instead of smooth shading)

Acent

I found the hacking world is too big for me!
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Oh well I think that light difference is caused by the model's "normals" and not by the material properties. You can try to obtain the exact same result as in the game by going to PDSMS, tileset editor, and disable the option called "uniform normals" for all the materials. This will make the shading of your map very similar to the original (but it will make the map file size bigger, so I usually keep the uniform normals enabled)

Also, it is possible that the tiles in PDSMS have slightly different normals, because I didn't revise those tiles myself, so you might get a slightly different shading (flat shading instead of smooth shading)

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hi! Today I have another video showing the new features I've been implementing. After a lot of struggle with many files, formats and 3D stuff, I've been able to make a Building editor that lets you place buildings on the map and it even shows animations.

I'm still working on it, but it's almost finished for DPPt. I'll be adapting it to HGSS too, so that we can edit those games in the upcoming update. BW and BW2 will be left for another update because their files are organized in a very different way.

Years
  • Really Nice Tool! Made some neat Routes with them.
    By the way is there a way to Import Exported Tilesets from Spikys DS Map Editor? I Exported TileSet19 from Platinum but its a .nsbtx file. The DS Map studio Tilesets only accept .Ptsds .

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Really Nice Tool! Made some neat Routes with them.
    By the way is there a way to Import Exported Tilesets from Spikys DS Map Editor? I Exported TileSet19 from Platinum but its a .nsbtx file. The DS Map studio Tilesets only accept .Ptsds .

Thank you! :D
    Unfortunately it's impossible to import 3D tiles directly from the game. This is not a limitation of the current tools, it's just that the format in which the original maps are made doesn't allow it. So if you want to take 3D tiles from the game, you would have to do something like this:

Also, note that NSBTX files just contain textures and palettes, so you can't take 3D tiles from them.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Pokemon DS Map Studio 1.19 is out! Now compatible with both LINUX and WINDOWS!

It comes with the following new features and changes:
    -Windows and Linux compability
    -New Building editor for DPPt and HGSS! Add, replace and place custom buildings with animations in your maps.
    -Now big tiles can be dragged and flood filled over the map like usual 1x1 tiles
    -More layers for drawing
    -Smart drawing editor has been moved to the tileset editor
    -More heights available for the height editor
    -The map display is now resizable for working on high resolution screens
    -The BDHC editor can be resized and a angle calculator has been added for making custom slopes
    -The Collision editor has now undo and redo buttons
    -New Background sound editor for HGSS. Place sound all over the map
    -New Area Data editor
    -New Building Tileset editor

You can see the new changes in video too:

You can download the new version here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cbclf3msscgr4gj/Pokemon_DS_Map_Studio-1.19.zip/file

Also the source code is now available at GitHub: https://github.com/Trifindo/Pokemon-DS-Map-Studio

Special thanks to JackHack96 for helping me on this update. Without his help I couldn't have made the graphic improvements of the tool, the compability with Linux or sharing the code in GitHub.
    Also thanks to Mikelan98 for improving some of the drawing features of the tool, AdAstra for helping me with the Background Sound editor, and René for his investigations on HGSS Buildings.

Acent

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    I have some problems.
    When I ran "java -jar PokemonDSMapStudio.jar" in the command prompt of Windows 10, I got these errors.
    Spoiler:

I can't program java, so I am not able to understand it at all.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    I have some problems.
    When I ran "java -jar PokemonDSMapStudio.jar" in the command prompt of Windows 10, I got these errors.
    Spoiler:

Did you try executing the EXE or the BAT files? Maybe those work

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
    Years
  • I have some problems.
    Spoiler:

I'm not a Windows user so I'm not fully sure, but this sounds like a permission problem. It looks like JOGL (a sub-component of PDSMS) is trying to create a temporary directory where it extracts his libraries, but fails at it.
    Please try to follow Trifindo advice and try to run the executable, maybe as administrator.
    If the error persist, then let us know :)

Years
  • Figured it out! Tho there was something i noticed. When using tilesets like Battle Zone (D/P/PL Post Game Island) The Textures dont load unless you walk to the Battle zone and refresh the screen then go back. Is there a way to bypass this?

Acent

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    Did you try executing the EXE or the BAT files? Maybe those work

Ummm...
    I followed your instructions, but didn't solve the problems.
    I will try to investigate and solve problems.
    Please let me know if you find something about it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Figured it out! Tho there was something i noticed. When using tilesets like Battle Zone (D/P/PL Post Game Island) The Textures dont load unless you walk to the Battle zone and refresh the screen then go back. Is there a way to bypass this?

The textures don't load because the game can only load a new tileset each time that a warp occurs or when you open up a menu (like the bag menu). So that's why in the original games there are small buildings between routes. They did it for loading the tilesets each time you pass from one to another.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Ummm...
    I followed your instructions, but didn't solve the problems.
    I will try to investigate and solve problems.
    Please let me know if you find something about it.

I think I might have found the problem. I'll make some tests in order to solve it. I'll let you know as soon as I confirm it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hello! Today I'm sharing some tutorials I made for the tool.

How to add custom buildings part 1:

How to add custom buildings part 2:

How to add custom buildings with animations:

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    I recently downloded this program to give it a try but have consistently been unable to open the program without getting the error message in the attached picture. Is there anyway to work around this problem?

Attachments

• Pokemon DS Map Studio: Create Pokemon DS maps in 5 min [2.1 VERSION]
      Screenshot (3).png
      59.4 KB · Views: 7
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2021
    Hey! What an amazing tool, you're seriously making history with this and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work. But I was simply wondering if there was a way to fix Tileset 53 from Platinum? For some reason, when you export it as .nsbmd (after .obj and .imd) it stretches out grass tiles bunched up together into a singular big one; additionally some of the corners for the mountain tileset end up having holes in them. I imported them in-game and the issue persists so it's not related to the .nsbmd preview.

Here's what I mean:

Left is what it looks like in Map Studio and right is the .nsbmd model peview. The hole in the corner is especially noticeable in-game since it's black.

Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    Hey! What an amazing tool, you're seriously making history with this and I can't thank you enough for all your hard work. But I was simply wondering if there was a way to fix Tileset 53 from Platinum? For some reason, when you export it as .nsbmd (after .obj and .imd) it stretches out grass tiles bunched up together into a singular big one; additionally some of the corners for the mountain tileset end up having holes in them. I imported them in-game and the issue persists so it's not related to the .nsbmd preview.

Here's what I mean:

Left is what it looks like in Map Studio and right is the .nsbmd model peview. The hole in the corner is especially noticeable in-game since it's black.

Thank you!

Hello! I'm glad that you like the tool :D

There's a easy fix for the stretched grass. You just have to go to the tileset editor, select the grass tile, and enable the options called "UTileable" and "VTileable". This will make that the texture can be repeated instead of stretched. Then export the map again as OBJ, IMD, NSBMD and the issue should be solved.

The holes on the rocks are harder to fix. But maybe you can fix them with a simple trick. Export one of the corners as OBJ and them import it again in the tool. This might solve the issue. If it doesnt, we can try a different method.

Anyway, I'm planning to revise all the tilesets for fixing all of these bugs. It will take some time to make though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2022
    The ultimate PDSMS version is here! Pokemon DS Map Studio 2.0 is out!

This version has the following new features:
    - New interface
    - Multiple map editor
    - Real time polygon grouping
    - Real time global texture mapping
    - New camera system
    - Group maps in areas
    - Export NSBTX files for each area automatically
    - Map animation editor
    - And much more...

You can check the new changes here too:

And you can download the tool here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/94j38xlr8utylwz/Pokemon_DS_Map_Studio-2.0.zip/file

This will be my last update in a very long time. I'll be taking a very long break. Have fun with the tool.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2021
    Hello!
    It's me again, just wanted to report an issue with versions 1.19.1 and above when it comes to importing building textures into tilesets, I always get this error even with the converter in the folder:

Fortunately however, using version 1.19 from the github seems to fix this in the meantime! Other than that though, amazing work with the tool, it's been so fun to use.

Back