• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Erebus

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Events? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but it sounds like you're describing executable scripts. I'm actually writing the game in GML, not Ruby (see post fourteen), and while GML is incredibly easy to learn (as scripting languages go), you probably won't be able to help with the coding.

If you really want to help though, you can help me flesh out the PokeDex a little. The orange ones need names (if you're unfamiliar with the animals they're based on, use Wikipedia or Google Images), and any moves you can come up with based on the Pokemon's anatomy would be helpful as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I'm a bit late to the party, but nice screenshots. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a FR/LG hack :)
    It's good to see people using programs other than RMXP; about 90% of games in the showcase use that with Essentials :P

Also, if you're using a GBA-style battle system, you should align the front sprites accordingly. The front sprites should be exactly 2 pixels above the HP box.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Hummingbird (Grass/Flying; fossil): Nymphis? Idk, based that off the Nymph. Nymphos, Idk. Nympho.
    Moves: humming birds are smart, with remembering how long the flowers take to refill, maybe something like to do with that?
    rock with lichen: (thats fun to say, lichen, lichen, lichen!): Xantho, xanthopar. I'm not very creative. :( Well, I am but my muse h as run away due to my harsh treatment to it.
    the umbrella: kasay, kasai, kasao, umbeon,
    moves
    Infest(IDK and effect, something about infesting enemy with lichen, slowing them down maybe, because you know, it grows slow :p)
    Yeah those names were fail, use them if you;d ,like.

Oh and I was reading the story again, and something that struck me as weird was fifty-two years ago... whered you get that number exactly? It seems awkward to be that. Idk why.

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a FR/LG hack :)

Also, if you're using a GBA-style battle system, you should align the front sprites accordingly. The front sprites should be exactly 2 pixels above the HP box.

Yeah, I didn't have any ideas for an original display at the time, and FR/LG are the only modern games with battle menus that I don't hate. I've somewhat decided on how to do it, but I'm not great with this kind of thing, so I'm still tweaking it.

The sprites probably seem out of place because they're all in different positions within their 64x64 frames. Almost none of the sprites in the screenshots are done, so I didn't really put a lot of thought into that.

Oh and I was reading the story again, and something that struck me as weird was fifty-two years ago... whered you get that number exactly? It seems awkward to be that. Idk why.

Your grandfather is sixty-five, and it happened when he was thirteen. So, fifty-two years ago.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2024
    no, i mean with the events that go on in the game. anyways. is there anything you want immediately?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Just names for the orange Pokemon. It's something I could easily do myself, but it's a bit time-consuming, and right now I'm making a little puzzle game to practice coding.

xShigure

Pokémon Bushido Director
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2010
    When I read this I immediately thought of the whole Pokemon Dungeon series, and Trozei.
    Idk what to expect yet, but don't get me wrong I can't wait to see it.

xShigure

Pokémon Bushido Director
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2010
    Mainly because of the dungeons and their features, as well as the natural disasters.
    The natural disaster part is more related to the manga that was based off the game though, so its somewhat unrelated.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Really? I had the impression that PMD dungeons were mostly empty, with just a few Pokemon scattered around them...
    Just a bit of a spoiler, but it isn't exactly a natural disaster. The obvious assumption is that it was the work of a Pokemon, but I'm not confirming or denying anything... except that humans are responsible.

Hmm, I should update with something. If you've looked through the PokeDex, you may have noticed* the following branching evolution:

61. Tadpole (Normal)
    62. Axolotl (Water/Ghost)
    63. Frilled Lizard (Ground/Ghost)

The idea behind this line is that the tadpole will evolve at level twenty-eight, and what it evolves into depends on how many water-type attacks or weather effects it's been exposed to. I originally thought of this about seven years ago, when a gaming magazine mentioned the weather effects in the then-upcoming Ruby and Sapphire. Actually, quite a few of the Pokemon in there, like the Fleegle and Daiba lines, are from back then... Anyway! In that same vein, an idea I have for Erebus is new moves or abilities being gained through a Pokemon's unique experience. For example, the Oceltot line favors long-range attacks, so learns more moves like Water Gun and Hydro Cannon, and less like Fury Swipes. However, if you were to have it use mostly physical attacks for an extended period of time, its move pool would shift more toward things like Iron Tail. If your Chatot faces enough Electric-type attacks, it may gain Zucatan's Spark Sense ability, which increases evasion against electric moves. This is another example of something I'd find impossible to do in RMXP, but can do with just a few lines of code in GM.

*you haven't, and you didn't, but that's the best way to phrase this

xShigure

Pokémon Bushido Director
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2010
    They're empty yeah, but there is some minipuzzle stuff worked in at times, idk about the more recent ones though.
    Thats an interesting one, I'm curious as to how it plays out.
    Oh and btw I hope you don't take any of this stuff the wrong way or something, I'm not trying to criticize your game or anything, it was just like me thinking out loud.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    It's okay, I can tell the difference between an off-handed observation and a personal attack.

Andinator, I didn't like the names Polrsa and Arctyrant at first, but they've really grown on me! :D

Something that I forgot to mention before... As you can see, I've mostly made single Pokemon, and Pokemon with a single evolution. If you can think of any evolutions/baby forms for any of them, let me know. If you have questions about any of them for naming or evolutionary purposes, just leave me a VM.

Last edited:

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
    Years
    um just wondering when will you be revealing the starters i think it would be easyer to think uo evos ill have a try with the siloute (:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Ah... Well, if you look at the PokeDex section, you'll see that the starters already have evolutions. Actually, one of the silhouettes in the "Who's that Pokemon?" box is an evolution of the grass starter.

edit: I've made a few changes to the PokeDex. 132 and 133 have been moved to 46 and 47, and have been given Andinator's names of Polrsa and Arctyrant. I've given numbers 61-63 the names Tadupa, Upaqua, and Uparid, and added Qwilfish and its evolution Barbloat to the list.

Barbloat's ability, Bloat Focus, gives it three forms with different strengths. When it uses the move Inflate (normal-type, raises defense and cuts opponent's special attack), its normally small body inflates and barbs protrude from it, making it possible to poison the opponent on contact. If used again, the inhaled air or water will be forced into Barbloat's spiny tail, sharply increasing its attack and returning its defense to base level.

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    You know, there's really no reason not to post things I come up with here... It's not like I have to keep everything a secret.

TM10
    Inflate (Normal/Status)
    Inflates the users body to raise defense and intimidate the opponent.

Naturally learned by: Clefairy line, Wooper,
    Kroctopus, Wobbuffet line, Tadupa line,
    Squiddle line, Buizel line, Zubat line

TM19
    Hammer Tail (Normal/Physical)
    Strikes the foe with a swinging tail for heavy
    damage. May cause flinching.

Naturally learned by: Minkin line, Onix line,
    Pikachu line, Miltank, Tiamoor, Wooper line, Poxen,
    Marchare line, Bluryu line

TM28
    Rapid Wing (Flying/Status)
    Rapidly beats wings to raise speed and evasion

Naturally learned by: Waspain, Locust, Butterfree,
    Zubat line, Heracross, Hummingbird, Kheprailes

HM04
    Dig (Ground/Physical)
    Digs on the first turn, strikes on the second.
    Works like an Escape Rope in caves, can dig objects
    out of the ground or dirt walls in other places.

HM06
    Drain (Grass/Special)
    Drains water and nutrients from
    the opponent, healing the user.
    Uses roots to drain small pools of water.

HM07
    Glean (Psychic/Status)
    Guarantees evasion of opponent's next move.
    (fails if overused)
    Uses telepathy to learn secret information
    from people and Pokemon.

HM08
    Detox (Poison/Status)
    Eliminates all status conditions currently in effect.
    Clears poisonous gas from the air.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I've been entertaining the idea of a vertical HP bar for about a month, but obviously English is most easily read left to right, so the text in the battle display would have to be horizontal. I've worked out something that I think might work, but I'd like some input.

Pokemon Erebus

The S icon in your Pokemon's display is where a status effect would be displayed. The C icon on your opponent's display is a Pokeball that will appear if you've caught one before, and the T icon will show their type. As you can see, I've also but a bit of thought into a new attack display. It shows your move's accuracy (taking into account changes to accuracy and evasion made in battle), any additional effects, the type, and how your opponent would react to the attack. The opponent in the mockup is weak to fire and resists psychic.

So, thoughts? What should change, what should stay the same?

shortdan1998

Rawr! I'm back, baby!
    Years
    I believe that the system is really good, but the only thing about the vertical HP bars should be that they should be in opposite positions from the display you made. Also I believe that this is a really good system since it will be very easy to see capability in attacks about the opponents typing and that accuracy is very important.
    ~shortdan1998

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    This actually looks very intriguing(S/C?)! I'm interested in where this is going. Good idea with the new look for battles. I suggest swapping the HP bars for the opponent and the player because when I saw it I immediately thought the bar on the right was the player Pokemon's, I had to take a second look to see that the player's was on the left.

Back