• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon EX

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
  • So out of sheer boredom, I was just wondering what everyone's opinions on the Pokemon EX were? I see a lot of people that say some are terrible and others who say that some are really good and I just wanted to get some feedback.

Here's my thoughts:

Spoiler:

What are your thoughts on EX pokemon, in terms of best and worst? I'd have to say overall Registeel is the best and worst is tied between Kyogre and Giratina.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Wow lots of Ex pokemon listed good reaserch!:)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="a"]But i think kyogre isnt the worst but its definitly not the best[/SIZE]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2012
    I like ex cards

[SIZE="a"]I like all the ex cards like zekrom reshiram Kyurem mewtwo and mew ex there all good cards but I like mewtwo ex it is really cool but it only has 170 hp witch is not good at all.[/SIZE]

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • [SIZE="a"]But i think kyogre isnt the worst but its definitly not the best[/SIZE]

I love Kyogre and all and we go way back to the days of me playing Sapphire, but his EX is just awful. If the card had a substantial attack it would at least be worth considering in a deck. It has no real type advantage in the current or upcoming format. WC for 30 and a forced switch is just weak, and it doesn't get past catcher. And even for the WWC to do 50 to 2 pokemon, Kyurem(NV) can do 30 to everything in play, it doesn't have the type disadvantage in Eel matchups and doesn't give up 2 prizes. Giratina is only on par because its energy requirements are horrible; and for attacks that aren't even good.

I think the most Redeeming part about Kyogre EX is that the full art looks cool. And I want it for that reason alone.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    [SIZE="a"]Yeah i started with that region and got hooked after ruby[/SIZE]

[SIZE="a"]And i used to have an ex kyogre but my mom lost it when she was reading our" quote of the day" she took it away from me so yeahhhh[/SIZE]

Last edited:

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
  • Regigigas EX would be a very good card in this format if it weren't for the fact that seemingly everyone is running Mewtwo EX.
    True. Gigas isn't bad, though. The mistake that a lot of people make is not effectively using its attacks properly and using eviolite to its advantage. Its first attack is its bread and butter, since 80 damage is enough to put most any EX in range to be KO'd, and with a pluspower it hits Eels for KO. If you don't over-energize it or let it hit itself for 20 too often, it can last several turns against a Mewtwo. It's all in how you play it.

LEXAcide

That 1 Guy
    Years
  • speaking of EX's and such...

I went to the Dark Explorers Prerelease just yesterday and made the WORST decision of my LIFE!

Good news is that I pulled a full body art Groudon EX!

Bad news is that a random druggie there asked me if I wanted to buy his Raikou EX full body art for $10!!!

I didn't know of it's value and I told him no. I hit myself over that decision a lot since then...

I'm pissed!

Years
  • speaking of EX's and such...

I went to the Dark Explorers Prerelease just yesterday and made the WORST decision of my LIFE!

Good news is that I pulled a full body art Groudon EX!

Bad news is that a random druggie there asked me if I wanted to buy his Raikou EX full body art for $10!!!

I didn't know of it's value and I told him no. I hit myself over that decision a lot since then...

I'm pissed!

This thread is for discussion of which EX you think is best, not for your stories pertaining to EXes! We have a couple stickies for posting tournament reports and posting booster pack pulls, though! And, yes, prereleases do count as tournaments for the sake of the tournament report thread.

Years
  • In general, I like the overall impact EX cards have on the game. It makes Pokemon battles quicker which I think is a good thing because in other formats, games could take a while.

Darkrai is my favourite EX for obvious reasons. It's also a very solid card with a large amount of HP, an ability which practically gets rid of the requirement to run Switch and weakens the effectiveness of opposing Catchers and a pretty good attack which can pressurise the bench as well as dealing heavy damage to main threats.

Mewtwo again is a solid card and so are Zekrom and Raikou EX. These are the four EX Pokemon which should see the most play in our metagame.

Kyogre is the worst EX in my opinion as well.

TURDCANNON

Oh, hey.
    Years
  • I don't really see why Mewtwo would ever be a threat to Gigas. Mewtwo would need 5 energy to ohko a fully loaded, un-Eviolited Gigas and if a Mewtwo with 2 energy attacks into a Gigas with the intent to 2ko it Gigas can Raging Hammer and kill it. (assuming no Eviolite on either of them)

Years
  • I don't really see why Mewtwo would ever be a threat to Gigas. Mewtwo would need 5 energy to ohko a fully loaded, un-Eviolited Gigas and if a Mewtwo with 2 energy attacks into a Gigas with the intent to 2ko it Gigas can Raging Hammer and kill it. (assuming no Eviolite on either of them)

DCEs, Eels, and/or Gardevoir all accelerate how fast Mewtwo can be powered up. There's a reason its value was over $50 a month ago, and it wasn't just because it was tournament season and it looks cool. It fit really well into anything that ran Eels because it could be used as a easily charged trump card that countered all the Pokemon with high energy requirements in the format by using those energy requirements against them.

And then there's the fact that the Mewtwo player can just bide their time until they have enough energy attached to make the OHKO, provided they're running the right energy acceleration.

TURDCANNON

Oh, hey.
    Years
  • I'm not saying Mewtwo isn't good I'm simply saying he's not a threat to gigas. Biding their time and building up energy is nice and all but the Gigas player, who is usually playing cmt, can just drop a Mewtwo, switch into it, and X-ball to KO the Mewtwo or just catcher around it and take a couple of prizes.

Years
  • What I'm getting at is that it's a threat if it's played properly. Regigas isn't exclusively run in CMT, and the Gigas player won't always have a Switch to switch into a Mewtwo, or for that matter a Mewtwo that is ready to go, which would result in 2 prizes lost either way if the Mewtwo they plan to switch into isn't ready to go. Same goes for not always having a Catcher available, especially if it's early in the game. From a cold start, it's a 3-turn KO for either 'mon if both players play the matchup right but have no other options.

Back