• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Pokemon fonts in font options

kringlur

Velkominn í heim POKéMON!
Years
  • Hey, ever since the "you can have a font!" option became available, I wondered why can't we use actual pokemon fonts, considering this is a pokemon forum? I think it'd be kinda great if we could use, say, a first generation font. It'd be no more annoying than some of the existing uses of the fonts.

These days with the new HTML and such I'm sure it's possible to make a font appear that not everyone actually has on their computers, right?

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think I have the fancy fonts from here on my computer so they must have figured out something on that front.

I'm not sure about copyright and such for Pokemon fonts though. It might be interesting, but if you want to use it for a header you can always just paste it as a picture :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    We can't really do that, because we can only see fonts installed on our computers. Or else it wouldn't work for anyone.

But I don't have Slackey installed on my computer but can still see when people use it o-o

Years
  • It'd be no more annoying than some of the existing uses of the fonts.

If anything, we need less annoying fonts right now.

Messages are better of clear and readable in such a big forum, whether it's Pokémon-related or not. People would abuse the new typefaces like they abuse Slackey.

Have you seen a wall of text formatted with Slackey? It makes you wanna die a little.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    We can't really do that, because we can only see fonts installed on our computers. Or else it wouldn't work for anyone.
    That isn't true. @font-face fixes that, but the issue then would mean that if it was copyrighted, we'd need permission to use it. Though I'm sure there are plenty of fonts on dafont that would be similar to them. I'd like to see a font on here that's similar to the font used in text boxes (when you talk to someone, the menu options, Pikachu used tackle!, etc.) in the games.

Moltres Rider

Banned
    Years
  • Pokemon fonts? do they exist? if they do, can you link me to some to download? are they like the Pokemon in the letters or something? I've never heard of a Pokemon font, can you show me what you're referring to? now I'm interested...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Pokemon fonts? do they exist? if they do, can you link me to some to download? are they like the Pokemon in the letters or something? I've never heard of a Pokemon font, can you show me what you're referring to? now I'm interested...
    I think they refer to in-game fonts ;)
    I remember I somewhat had them in my Word just by playing the ROM xD

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    Problem is, those fonts aren't open. They almost certainly aren't licensed for our use, either.
    But aren't the various pictures used in this forum (trainers' images, pokemon' images, and probably more) covered by copyright too? Even the fan-made ones should fall under that category, since I guess the concepts are copyrighted too.
    Or am I missing some point?

Years
  • Well I've got fonts off of Dafont that are Pokémon fonts - the one for the logo, and I've got ones called "Pokémon Ruby" and stuff which is the actual font used ingame. I'm not too sure on the licencing for it but I think Dafont fonts are free to use if you don't have to pay (actually, it might depend on the font).

http://www.dafont.com/search.php?psize=m&q=pokemon
    Some have "free use" though I'm not sure how practical they all are. :/

Back