• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Game Quirks?

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    Is there anything you always do in pokemon games?

For me, I'm always the girl in Crystal ("OMG IT R TEH INOVATIV!"), And I always choose Bulbasaur, Totodile, and Torchic in their respective games (God forbid someone put more than one of these as a starter in a hack, let alone all 3, my head might explode with indecision.) and finally, always go by ASH in Yellow (And GARY for the rival).

So what do you do?

Last edited:
    Years
    Weren't they together in Gen II?

I always call my guy Hiro in Gen III for some reason :P

I used to call my Gen II character Hiro everytime too...
    I tend to give my trainers' their offical Japanese name, because I find that they sound better (weeaboo ftw). I can't stand the names May and Dawn.
    Oh and I'm usually the girl character because their designs are usually better (save Gen II). Seriously, male D/P character looks awful. Mostly the hat.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I always pick Fire starters :), I always leave my legendaries with their species name (unless I want to change it, like UXIE to UXLE, which is rare for me to do anyway), I always nickname all of my non-Legendary Pokemon, and I always name myself and my rival based on what we "looks" like, basing it on appearances :). That's pretty much it!

Years
    I always have a fire starter. If I want to try a game without fire starters, I choose water. I NEVER choose Grass, and I don't know why ^_^

Methinks that's the only quirk I have...

Years
    I have a weird thing about HMs. I like the pokemon to look like they could actually perform the move. For example I can't use a Zubat for flying on because, it would be almost impossible due to it's tiny size.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    I ALWAYS choose Treecko. No matter what. In all the other generations, I've tried each starter at least once, even if it was only for a game that lasted to the second gym before I started over. (Except for D/P, but that's because I've only started two games. When I get Platinum I'm using the third starter, Turtwig.) But even if I start a new game VOWING that I'll try one of the other starters for once, maybe Torchic so that I'll have a Fire/Fighting, maybe Mudkip because... because it's Mudkip, at the last minute I always choose Treecko anyway.

I also tend to not train much at all, especially before the Elite 4. If the Elite 4 pummel me several times in a row, sometimes I'll make a half-hearted attempt at EV training and battle a few Graveler to raise my team's defense, but then I'll give up and challenge the Elite 4 after only two or three of the team level up. So when I beat the champion, almost all of my team is horribly under-leveled. When I beat Cynthia, my strongest Pokémon was six levels below her weakest, and there was over a ten-level gap between the average level of her Pokémon and the average level of mine. But I'm fine with the level gaps, they make the games a lot more challenging.

Last edited:

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Unless I'm monotyping, I always, always have at least one fire, water, grass, electric and flying pokemon on my team. It just seems wrong not to.

Fed

Battling on Wi-Fi.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Uhh. I always nickname everything I catch... The nicknames vary from snippets of the actual name, to characters from my fave shows (Lost, Heroes, Prison Break etc. <333) Also, I name myself Fed (teehee) and my rival is usually the name from the manga.

nemesish

Azure Trainer
    Years
    1- I always give the player/rival their Pokemon Special japanese names
    2- I always replicate Ash´s original team (or an evolved form of) in every game (Venusaur-Charizard-Blastoise-Pidgeot-Butterfree-Pikachu) with their color in japanese as names (Midori-Aka-Ao-Chairo-Murasaki-Kiiro)

Last edited:

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I always pick Cyndaquil to be my starter in G/S/C.
    I never pick the Grass starter in any game, though I did pick Bulbasaur once in R/B to see if I'd like it.
    I always use at least one Normal type on my team, even if I have to shuffle my planned team around a lot to fit it in.

The Red Chain

I always have a fire starter. If I want to try a game without fire starters, I choose water. I NEVER choose Grass, and I don't know why ^_^

Omg, I do the same thing haha. X3

My quirks;

• I always choose the Fire or Water starter. Never the Grass Starter.
    • In generation one I always call my rival Gary.
    • I always, no matter what, have a Pokemon that's psychic or can learn psychic moves on my team. [In generation one I would always have a Butterfree with Confusion and/or Psybeam]
    • My trainer [girl] is always named Kawaii. [Only past the Crystal game though of course~]
    • I have always nicknamed every Pokemon I catch [Since R/B/Y] and I always will.

Last edited:
    Years
    I always name my character Raika or my name, and I always use these nicknames for my pokemon:
    PKM 1: Raikari
    PKM 2: Hikari
    PKM 3: Rika
    for pokemons' 4 to 6 I would make up something, but Raikari, Hikari and Rika are a MUST on my team. :)

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    I never have a double-up of 1st types (IE I have a Torterra and a Gastrodon on Pearl, and though they share Ground secondary typing, because their primary type is different, they stay), and I always have a Fire-Grass-Water-Flying main team, and depending on the other members, the last two slots can be filled by a ground, electric, psychic or dark-type.

BeatTheSpecialStage

is gay for Ritchie
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2009
    • In generation one I always pick either Bulbasaur or Charmander.
    • I always name myself Beat in the games.
    • I always name my rival either Caleb (recently) or Jacob (awhile ago)
    • In generation two I always either pick Totodile or Cyndaquil.
    • In generation three I always pick either Torchic or Treecko.
    • In generation four I always pick either Piplup or Turtwig.
    • The first PKMN I always catch is that region's respective main flying PKMN (Kanto's being Pidgey, Johto's being Hoothoot I think, Hoenn's being Taillow, and Sinnoh's being Starly.)
    • I'll add more later.

Back