• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Games with AutoSave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
  • Just as many other people said, not every 3 seconds and optional. It's true it takes some time to save a [Pokemon] game and I wouldn't really love 10 seconds for saving wasted.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Optional (with the ability to switch it on and off at will), and then only if they come up with a way to quickly save the game, or have it save in the background while you still play. And five minutes or so seems like a more reasonable interval between saves.

My brother would have actually appreciated auto-save that one time he got past three gyms in Platinum without saving and then he got called to do some chores and his battery died because he forgot to close the DS and put it in sleep mode xD

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Pokemon games have never had autosave, it just doesn't seem like it's meant for pokemon. I think instead of autosave you should just be given the option to save while you're in battles, etc. I can't recount how many times I played pokemon before school, and was rushing to catch a pokemon or finish a battle. Being able to save then resume that battle, or tournament whatever you're in, later on would definitely be a plus.

Years
  • I have a feeling that autosave could just end up being a nuisance in more than one way (slowing down gameplay, saving after making a mistake, etc.) If there was no noticeable effects, I think it would be a good idea to have an optional autosave, but not a mandatory one.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2012
    Being able to save when you're in a battle sounds like a great idea.

Auto-save? No thanks.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hmmm.....like others before me have said, as long as we can easily switch it on and off (i.e. in-game, not going out to the menus like on most auto-saving console games I've played)

zlip

______
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    That would NOT be good. This will happen to me if the game autosaves:

"finally the azure flute is out yess!"
    walks to top of spear pillar and plays flute
    "Here i come arcues!"
    Battles arcues and kills him
    "*** ** ***** **** ****!!!"

Conclusion I wouldn't like it

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • That would NOT be good. This will happen to me if the game autosaves:

"finally the azure flute is out yess!"
    walks to top of spear pillar and plays flute
    "Here i come arcues!"
    Battles arcues and kills him
    "*** ** ***** **** ****!!!"

Conclusion I wouldn't like it
    I completely agree.
    However I think you should be able to quick save in battle. Oh so many times I've been in a battle and needed to turn off the game. However not normal save. It would be to abuse-able.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    No auto-save. That would be disastrous for several reasons:
    1) EV training or legendary catching or League battles and etc.: you wouldn't be able to undo a really stupid mistake or an unlucky critical hit that made that legendary you've been tracking impossible to catch.
    2) Read/write times: If there was an auto-save feature, it would have to save every few seconds. This would cause load times to skyrocket, not to mention battery life to go down because it has to write so much data to the card.

A quick-save feature on the other hand? Yes please. If it's available anywhere where it'd make sense (like in a battle), and the quick-save expires as soon as you use it again, then that would make a lot more sense.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • Maybe not auto-save, but just a button that we can press that just saves the game instantly. It would save time wasted going through the dialog and save time waiting as the little hand going around the clock. Although it wouldn't be efficient, since it saves only a couple seconds anyways..

On second thought, optional autosave sounds good. =)

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • I don't like autosave. I've never had a problem with the normal save feature. It's great! You can save anytime, unlike many other RPGs where you have to get to certain save points.

I'd be pissed if I didn't catch a legendary and then it saved and I couldn't try again.

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
    Years
  • PMD has an optional quicksave... But I can see it in that case because it has a "save-point."
    In the regular games, maybe a quicksave showing where it saved and when it saved asking you if you wanted to play that file or the one you last saved

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    No, not autosave, but maybe a little window that pops up (you choose every how many minutes) asking you if you want to save or not.

I like this idea better. Autosave would be impractical at times, even if it were optional. The people who often forget to save would be just as likely to forget to turn autosave on/off, which would cause a lot more harm than good. I'd rather it remind me to save every fifteen minutes or so, rather than just automatically do it.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • Bad idea. How am I supposed to soft reset for legendaries then, they would be next to impossible to get! Not only that, but I also might also be doing a glitch experiment and it might suddenly kick in and nuke my file!

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I wouldn't really like the idea of Auto Save because what happens if you are in a situation and you're testing something out on whether you want to do something that will ruin your game or not? Or if you're battling a legendary Pokemon which you want to capture, you make it faint and the game autosaves because its an important battle?

:t354:TG

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • Auto save initially sounds like a good idea, but when people want to soft reset or something to that effect, it'd probably screw everything up. :/

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Ummm... no. I like the save system the way it is. Autosave would only cause many problems.

And besides, if you have to quit the game during a battle, parents will always think your DS is off if you just close it anyways ^__^

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
    Years
  • I like the idea of quicksaving in a battle, as I've found that one of the more useful features of emulators. However, autosaving seems problematic for legendaries and the like, as others have mentioned.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back