• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon General Poll # 18 - Too Much? Too Little? Even Stevens?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years

# 18 - Too Much? Too Little? Even Stevens?

With 649 pokemon currently developed, do you think that this number of pokemon:

Is not enough? So you would prefer that there would be more pokemon, or you think that there could never be enough pokemon. How much more pokemon do you think there could be?

Is too Much? You feel that there is simply too much pokemon, so you may prefer that the number be died down a bit. How many pokemon would you take away?

Or Is dead on? So you feel that the number is perfect; you don't want to be too much, or too little. Why would you feel this way?

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    It's enough, as it is what it is. And it will never be too much since they will keep adding on every generation and too few hardly. The more their are the more options you have, so for me the more the better.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think there could be a bit more than 649 Pokemon because GameFreak could be secretly planning the next generation (though it may be unlikely). I think that there could be up to 1000 species of Pokemon.

poke are poke

mischievous
    Years
    The more pokemon the more fun it is! I think that they are planning on adding a few "secret" pokemon to that number

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I don't see why they can't keep on adding. Just look at our Earth, there are plenty more creatures inhabiting it than there are of the amount of Pokémon right now, so yeah.

I say bring on the rest.~

Years
    I think at this point, what they need to do is wait a while, maybe release some Hoenn remakes.. but at some point for Gen 6, create a sort of "Johto" addition to Unova, with expansions on these Pokémon, rather than an ENTIRE new set.

Do what Johto did and add some new ones, but make som new evos and prevos for the Unova Pokémon.

If they're touting B&W as a new beginning, then the best thing to do is keep going, keeping the kids familiar with the B&W Pokemon too. Just like in our day we had the constant reminder of "151, oh wait, now it's 251!"

*sigh* remember when the number of Pokémon actually mattered? xD

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I guess there can be more, but nowadays I can't even remember all the names. I remember when I played G/S/C where I obsessed with remembering all the names of Pokedex numbers when I was bored. Of course, there's always room for more. I'd think that more would introduce more variety and stuff.

On a side note, what would the Pokemon for Pokedex #666 look like or be...?

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I think that there can never be enough Pokemon, there will also be new discoveries of them, I think that the more there are the more variety you have in the game, which makes it fun.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I think it's too many, and there are a lot of unmemorable ones I think the series could do without, but now that they're all in existence, it's hard to imagine it without them. I mean, it's still too many but it's not like they can be removed so I don't think about that. I really don't want them to add any more, though...

I'd prefer more Pokémon to adding in form changes for everything, though, which would be my main worry if they announced there wouldn't be any "new" Pokémon...

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    MORE MORE MORE I SAY! I do like more Pokemon! I don't care what other people say, I want more Pokemon. I've always been a person who likes many. SO, MORE!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Right now, I actually don't care. If fourth and fifth gen are any indication, then I've already chosen what will be my favorite Pokemon, as nothing past 3rd gen Pokes have really captured my interest. On the one hand, I can't keep most 5th gen Pokemon straight, but on the other hand I hope there's a 6th gen where there's finally a cat Pokemon with decent stats...

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Nonsense, you can never have too much pokémon.
    Similar to what Mew~ said, Earth contains millions of animal species, with plenty more waiting to be discovered. That also applies to Pokémon, since the 'undiscovered Pokémon' are from later generations (Gen VI, Gen VII, etc).

Remember what I said earlier:
    More Pokémon + New Fans + Hardcore Fans = LOADS OF MONEY!
    Hence why GameFreak will only stop making new pokémon once they run out of money and the franchise ends.
    Roll on Gen IX with the 1000th Pokémon in 20 years, I'll be waiting for you.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
    For the amount of generations they have, 649 Pokemon is perfect!

...of course, if they had three or four, there would be a huge difference.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Moar. Roar.

It's pretty obvious why. It's not about the current number, nor any number that would be sufficient. More and more have to come out in order to keep the franchise and other means of it going. You may say that this is Nintendo's opinion, but since I agree to that...yeah.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    I'd like more, as well.

But please, make the names easier. I mean really, some Pokemon names in 5th Gen are so difficult to pronounce.

And when they finally do stop, I hope they make it an even, easy-to-remember number, like 800 or something. Not some strange number like 649.

pokefreak5598

It's all in the mind, y'know.
    Years
    Honestly. I wish they took off some of the b&w ones. It's too much. It took me months to figure out the diamond and pearl ones, I think if they keep adding hundreds, the quality of the sprites and stuff won't be as great. I think they should've stopped at 600 for b&w, then added maybe 50 or 60 at the most next gen. :) I like the first 150 better anyways ;)

Back