• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is going downhill

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    As far as the anime's concerned, it's a kids show. Hence, people go off it as its childish.

But have you seen other kids shows?? There's about 4000 on the BBC alone, and the only pronouncable name is "Balamory". For its target audience, pokemon is quite grown up. I mean, although Team Magma and Aqua were just weird, and Team Rocket is original, Team Galactic is half-decent. I mean, they have their pokemon restrain people, and they don't fight fair, they just send a swarm of Golbat out.

And, i do agree with people who say some 4th gen pokemon were pointless (Infernape? Did Blaziken need replaced so soon?)

But some were good.

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Yeah Pokemon's only ever on crappy channels over here in the UK so no-one knows about it :/

Thumbs Down :(

Season

Garden Gladiator
    Years
    I noticed a "dip" in Pokemon's popularity. It hit it's peak in around 2000, then seemed to disappear for a bit around 2003-2004. That's understandable though, considering it was a bit of a fad and few things can ever hope to be as huge as Pokemon was at it's height. I think around 2008 it picked up in popularity again, I noticed a lot of Pokemon products in mainstream stores (toy stores, local markets, basically anywhere plushies or figurines are sold.) A lot of people I know own DPPt, and from what I know DPPt outsold RSE.
    I think Pokemon is on the rise if anything. It's "fad" nature is wearing off.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
    I think Pokemon is on the rise if anything. It's "fad" nature is wearing off.

I agree. I'm sure it'll blow a few brains out when the remakes are released. Well, I'm hoping, anyway. I think the younger kids today need something like Pokemon, instead of all this trash on tv and whatnot. I know my own childhood was the best because of Pokemon.

Fingers crossed it picks up again. :]

Years
    It isn't as popular, no. But it is still popular, they still sell a lot of Pokemon stuff around my area, and a lot of people my age like it to. I can't see Pokemon dying any time soon, and who knows they might have a trick up their sleeves. I wish they did bring back that Pokemon cereal tho >_>

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    I don't think it's really going downhill. I do think the anime is childish, but so was the first season. It's gotten a bit worse, but the target audience for the anime was always kids. I think a lot of people view the first season as way better than it actually is simply because they liked it so much growing up and this leads to a skewed perspective on the newer seasons since they obviously can't compare to the original.

ExtremeYoshiFan

The Yoshi King
    Years
    Pokemon is cool. But so is Naruto. I like both. There are no similarities. And the pokemon show itself has gone downhill. The characters are almost Idetical. We need someone new with a new adventure. Someone other than Ash.

ShatteredRose

Thanks for Noticin'
    Years
    I don't think pokemon is going downhill. It just isn't very popular amongst older age groups (in America). Teenagers are "too cool" to be doing childish things. The only people who play those games are dorks. But, obviously, in Japan, anime, pokemon, manga, and the likes are widely accepted, so it is OKAY to like those things. But because, everywhere else, pokemon is an imported product, (like others said) it will have its fad and then the fad will die. All that's left are the true fans. But the the real fans end up getting made fun of because they like something so childish.

I find this situation quite depressing, actually. Why does everyone have the need to feel so "adult" all the time? Huh, well they want to feel adult, but they actually don't act like adults -- teenagers, that is. Try to act grown up, but they just come off immature. Sometimes I feel that the U.S. needs to borrow some of the mentality of the Japanese...well, where at least media and entertainment is concerned. XD

Goron

Mountain Dweller
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2009
    I agree, Also Team Rocket is highly Over-used. I mean come on already. When will they give up or at least take a long break. Not to mention Ash is some how never able to see past their Lame Disguises.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    Personally, I blame the Rap Music...

But seriously, the series went downhill for me when they introduced the Hoenn anime series. I hate may with a passion, and max. And, a lot of my friends stopped watching when Misty left. There is also a lack of maturity in the newer seasons, and apparently, it is bad for a girl to be a trainer now. So they become coordinatiors... certianly not epic at all.

Moskau

Oh, dear...
    Years
    Part of what contributes to Pokémon going out-of-style would be all of the countless other remakes, spoofs, or obvious knock-offs that have come out since then. Franchises like Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan Battle Brawlers, and even more subtle spin offs like Dino Fighters for the DS have come out. While these all may not be incredibly obvious, these all have the same elements of "Cute/Cool creatures you can collect and battle with other people's cute/cool creatures". Pokémon is sadly lumped in with the others, which I think contributes to it losing it's originality.

Plus, you know, fads normally die out after a good run. (I miss Tamagotchis, darn it! I still have all mine...) Pokémon is still alive, and I think it's going to last quite awhile. It's been less popular, but definitely making money. I mean, I think Platinum is the fastest selling game for the NDS currently. And while I don't think it will ever be as popular as it was in the 90's, it's sure going to hang on for quite awhile longer.

I think after it dies, it will be revived again as "cool" and "retro" maybe 20-30 years later. Like most things we hold dear. :}

IMHO. Forgive me if any of my information is incorrect.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    Almost everywhere, all the old Pokemon fans have been turned into Narutards, and I barely see any merchandise anywhere, only the games, possibly because all the events and merchandise is all at Toys r' us and nowhere else, and the Nearest one is over 100 miles away from us and I never went to a nintendo event because of that, and whenever I try to bring up Pokemon in a conversation, they bring up Naruto or Family Guy, or BOTH (god forbid). Pokemon is still huge in Japan, with food products, a variety show, and the Merchandise is everywhere, not just Toys r' us like in the states, where the only merchandise you can find is the games (as in the video games, not board games), I remember when Pokemon was huge in the states, and everyone watched the anime and the merchandise was everywhere, what happened to those days. Was it the 3rd generations release back in 2003, the cosntantly cliche repeating and recycled plot of the anime (as well as the removal of Misty), either way, I am seeing the Pokemon franchise go downhill
    Um, most original Pokemon fans are too old for Naruto. So don't insult us like that :<

And in JAPAN Pokemon is popular for ELEMENTARY SCHOOLERS. The fan base is not quite as diverse as the US where you have older people who actually use the strategies very competitively.

So this thread pretty much failed :<

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    Pokemon is not as popular as it used to be, I agree. It's going the same way barbie is - every girl out there used to have a barbie, but they are now being replaced by the baby dolls that do EVERYTHING you DON'T want in a baby (honestly, who wants to change a fake diaper full of fake poop?)

Pokemon is likely to get a turn-around when heartgold and soulsilver come out, because many fans they lost will return to try out the new game, as well as attracting many new ones.

We'll just have to wait and see.

RUBY8

POKEMON FTW
    Years
    i dont think its going down hill at all it may be a bit more old but it is the second most selling franchise only behind mario

ten best-selling video game franchises:
    1. Mario (210 million)
    2. Pokemon (193 million)
    3. Tertis (125 million)
    4. The Sims (100 million)
    5. Need for Speed (100 million)
    6. Final Fantasy (85 million)
    7. Grand Theft Auto (70 million)
    8. Madden NFL (70 million)
    9. FIFA (65 million)
    10. The Legend of Zelda (57 million)

.Chocolate.

n_n no.
    Years
    I agree with you. Espacilly the old pokemon fans becoming narutards part. Pokemon is starting to be too childish than before. The whole "SNACK TIME!!" thing on Pokemon D/P is pissing me off. Pokemon was dramatic back then and sometimes had death. It wasn't just always happy and cheerful. Also, Ash's pokemon back then never fought that much. Now his new ones always fight and they're all babies.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    Anime-wise, you may be right... they are sticking to the same stuff over and over again, but it's certainly doing well enough to maintain viewers and whatnot. =/ Thing is the anime is aimed at the young kids for the most part and hence gets a smaller viewing from the older people, so to speak, so maybe that has something to do about it? Can't say the anime gets much over here though. One can still find Pokemon figurines and cards in shops easily enough though.

Game-wise though it's a different story, luckily. Record sales, and so forth say it's doing pretty well when it comes to the games themselves.
    I agree with this. I think that the Pokemon anime is going downhill. Even your examples (the Pokemon marchandise) is mostly to do with the Pokemon anime, not the games.

The TCG is dead, as far as I'm concerned.

The games though are at an all time high. Record sales (as bobandbill said) and different additions being implemented into the games make it really attractive at them moment.

Tears In The Rain

Thirsty, purposeless Vampire
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Sep 15, 2010
    Yes I completely agree, I believe it went downhill with the creation of Hoenn, I never liked hoenn, the pokemon are not that attractive or cool and May annoys the bloody hell out of me. I stopped watching not far into it. Sinnoh was actually a step back up, just a tiny step. Curiosity got the better of me and I watched episodes 1 though I think the first part of 13 on youtube and then I couldn't find anymore and I didn't find it too terrible except for that damn jerk of a rival.

It seems like Pokemon has lately been doing as Disney has with all their endless sequels, Prequels and inbetweenquels such as High School Musical, and trying to milk a popular thing too much. Living beings aren't the only ones that need to someday die, fads/trends whatever you want to call it as well need to have their deaths. Trying to keep something alive too long is how you lose fans not keep them because people will get sick of it.

It would be a bummer to see pokemon end, but it would be a well needed end.

シルバー

Γ Чεr ςcreαm is βut a drəαм х
    Years
    I think a lot of people view the first season as way better than it actually is simply because they liked it so much growing up and this leads to a skewed perspective on the newer seasons since they obviously can't compare to the original.

I can easily admit to that. Even though the first generation weren't that creative, an older fan can easily argue that they had more thought put into them than a Pokemon such as....Turtwig. I mean really, a turtle and a twig somehow came together and had babies? A Monkey who eats enough chilies to light it's butt on fire? No matter how much I loved GSC I have to say with the Anime that I would have loved for Ash to have died in the first movie so that the Anime wouldn't have lead up to what it is now.

And the person my whole "siggy/theme" thing is the only reason I actually like Naruto. He died though so I lost interest. I don't think I will ever completely hate Pokemon though. Pokefan till the very end!

Back