• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokemon: Lee's Kanto Arc

Years
Chapter 9: A New Friend to Fight With

Bill's Lab

One last sweep under the nose and Lee let out a sigh of relief, as the rag had stopped turning red and only crusted blood remained on the handkerchief. The trainer put down the bloodied rag down on the table gently, like a mother Krookodile laying down her baby Sandiles, thanking Arceus that the door did not break his nose. To think that someone would do such sacrilege to Bill and almost smash the nose of someone who was just being a good samaritan...Team Rocket never learned from their past experiences to be nicer to people. But then they wouldn't be villains anymore, would they? If Team Rocket had a right mind they should be busy cleaning up their mess, but you can't change an evil person. Then again, maybe they're returning to evil because we're the ones that still don't forgive, but how can/would you forgive-

"Lee?"

His train of thought was derailed again by the voice of Bill, making the boy suddenly raise his head at the PC researcher, who was standing by the microwave with some frozen meals in his hand.

"Are you hungry? It's almost lunchtime."

It's that time already? Lee let out a silent sigh, before giving a thought about his lunchtime meal. "What have you got, Mr. Sonezaki?"

"Oh, nothing fancy." Bill unpacked one of the meals, revealing a frozen spaghetti underneath the tinfoil. "I've got...hold on, let's see...tamato spaghetti, hash browns, large burrito, cheese and cornn berry, and charti hearts."

"I might be getting a bit greedy here sir, but could I have a tamato spaghetti with some hash browns?"

"Well, you have every right to be, son." The PC Researcher gladly opened the pack before putting them in the microwave, setting the timer to 5. "Let's get you refueled so you can stop Team Rocket from harming others."

"Thank you, sir."

Alright, lunchtime! The trainer threw Hydro's pokeball into the air, and his beloved Wartortle did a spin in the air before landing on Lee's lap.

"Let's get you some tasty lunch!" The boy petted him in the shell softly, making the tiny turtle pokemon growl cutely.

"Lee?"

Both the trainer and his pokemon turned to the PC researcher at his call.

"This could be a nice time to show the new Pokemon that I was going to give you." Bill said, bringing a bag of Pokemon food for Lee's Squirtle. "Do you want to see him?"

"Of course sir! Hydro, you're getting a new friend!"

"Wartortle, Wartortle!"

"I'll take both your reactions as a yes! Hang on a second now..."

The PC Administrator rose up from his seat, making his way toward a big chest and opening its cover. Soon pokeballs, toys and miscellaneous research material littered the floor, before Bill rose up holding a dusty safari ball.

"I caught the guy in the Safari Zone, but I haven't been able to give him much attention. I hope you can give him the attention he deserves."

"Of course Mr. Sonezaki."

Receiving the Safari Ball, the trainer pressed the button, opening the contraption and setting out the monster. The light separated into 6 orbs, before forming themselves in front of Lee's eyes as...pink eggs?

"Wartortle!?" Hydro approached the unknown Pokemon in curiosity, whose heads all turned around and faced the tiny turtle pokemon with the same mystery-shrouded faces.

"Whoa, what is that!?" Quickly the trainer whipped out his pokedex, before activating it in order for it to scan the Pokemon for identification.

Exeggcute, the Egg Pokemon. Grass/Psychic type. Even though it appears to be eggs of some sort, it was discovered to be a life-form more like plant seeds.

"Whoa!" Lee cradled the Eggs in excitement. "Thank you Mr. Sonezaki! They're so adorable!"

"I'm just glad they are in good hands now." Bill smiled at the excited young boy. "Would you like to nickname him?"

"Yeah...Eggshell."

"Eggshell! You've got a sense of wit, kid!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lee sat outside by the Cerulean riverside, looking at Hydro and Eggshell playing with each other. Cerulean City was a welcoming town-other than the incident with the Rockets, the trainer and his pokemon were all treated well-they were all happy and well-fed, what more could you wish in a small, peaceful town? But now it was time for a challenge-he wasn't here in this town to loll around, he was here for the 2nd gym badge. He had to move on.

The 6 Egg Pokemon, now named "Eggshell," looked at his trainer before resuming to play with Hydro. Now with two Pokemon, Lee was worried if they would get along, since his Wartortle had spent most of the time alone until now. He wasn't sure if he should talk to them about it, but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

"Eggshell?"

All of the Eggxecute's heads turned around to Lee, and then to Hydro.

"Okay, welcome to our team...This is Hydro, a water type, he'll be fighting with you. Be nice to him, will you?"

"Wartortle!" Hydro waved hi to the new Exeggcute, and Eggshell's heads sprang up smiling in a naughty fashion. They seemed to be getting along...for now. Time to introduce the new guy to the world of battling.

"Alright guys, we're about to head to the gym. What do you know, Eggshell?"

With that question Lee was met with a barrage of seeds, which pelted him everywhere on his body, making him fall backwards from the kinetic energy from the seeds. Okay...Bullet Seed. That's one. The trainer winced in pain for some time before brushing the seed casings off him.

"Exeggcute!" Eggshell's heads cried out, as they proceeded to emit a weird psychic energy on Wartortle, making him yawn and drop to the grass.

Okay, Hypnosis, that's another one. This pokemon must be Impish nature. Lee thought, as he sighed and picked Hydro up before Eggshell could do anything bad to him.

"No, Eggshell...Bad Pokemon." The trainer calmly, yet sternly scolded the Egg Pokemon. The boy, with ease, put the bad pokemon back in his ball with the touch of a button, before heading to the Pokemon Center to regain lost PP and wake Hydro up. If he learned anything in his trip, it was that Pokemon are like babies: really cute, yet sometimes annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cerulean City Gym

This gym was one of the gyms that had a use outside of battles, as it was used as a public swimming pool. Sometimes the gym leader would personally instruct those who could not swim. Lee's face turned red thinking of Misty in a wetsuit, before he shook his head. He had to focus on the battle, not weird thoughts.

"Welcome to the Cerulean Gym sir! This gym is water type, so spare clothes are recommended."
The man at the counter said to the kid, giving him a changing room locker key.

"Thanks, but I'll be fine."

He went into the changing room, and opened his locker. Quickly untying his shoes, Lee took off his socks and put them in his shoes, before putting it in the locker and turning the key. The trainer rolled up his pants to minimize getting wet-no shame in getting caught with your sleeves down here, it's that or get wet.

Going into the gym, Lee walked carefully not to slip on the water. He didn't want to get wet before the big battle. Maybe during the battle was fine, but...

"Hey Trainer! You're just in time!"

Lee looked up at the sudden voice. He knew who it was-Misty, the Water type gym leader, wearing a white tank top and short pants. Nothing to distract him, that was fortunate...

"The show's about to start! Get on the water mat."

"Okay...hold on!" He almost fell into the water while getting on but he managed to keep his balance. As the two trainers faced each other on the mats, the lights went off! And when the spotlights flashed at both of them, both the trainers were met with shouts and applauses from the crowd that had come to see the battle!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare for the battle of your life! Another Trainer challenges the Queen of the Water, the second gym leader of the Kanto region...Misty!!!"

Misty waved his hand at the crowd, and Lee could even see someone playing an air horn.

"And on the other side, we have the challenger...Lee!!!"

Wow, that counter guy was the announcer? Lee thought to himself, as he raised his left fist in the air.

"Will another trainer bite the dust? Or will the challenger leave with the badge? We'll find out in 3! 2! 1! Battle!"

Gym Leader Misty wants to battle!

"Go, Staryu!"

"Go, Eggshell!"

Both Pokeballs collided in mid air, as the respective Pokemon landed on their respective water mats, shaking the water!

"Oh, we've got a type advantage here folks! What will Misty do?"

"Eggshell, use Bullet Seed!"

"Staryu, Tackle!"

Eggshell fired at the Staryu on the other mat, which dodged by spinning its body! The seeds hit the walls hard, penetrating through them.

"And Staryu dodges the Bullet Seed! This is just like a movie I saw!"

"Staryu, Water Pulse!"

Staryu let out a concentrated ball of water, which hit Lee's side! It didn't damage Eggshell, but it sure made Lee's water mat shake! He fell onto his right knee, making the shallow water on the mat touch his legs.

"Oh! The lifeguard should be ready!"

"That was a close one! Eggshell, use Hypnosis!"

Eggshell fired a beam of psychic energy, which hit Staryu hard! The foe pokemon became unresponsive to Misty's commands, before slumping to sleep.

"Oh my, the challenger uses a sleep-inducing move!"

"No!"

"Eggshell, use Bullet Seed!"

And with that command, Eggshell gunned down Staryu, knocking it into the water!

"You're good! Staryu, return!"

"Good job Eggshell, return!"

"Go, Starmie!"

"Go, Hydro!"

Both Pokemon growled at each other, as Hydro shook its tail to make himself look more intimidating, while Starmie's rear body started spinning for an attack.

"Oh, this is it folks! Misty's in a critical state! Can the challenger win, or is this another one of her tricks!?"

The shouting became louder, as both Pokemon lunged at each other!

"Use Swift, Starmie!"

"Hydro, Bite!"

A stream of stars hit Hydro repeatedly, but with its one last attack, Hydro bit Starmie, as both Pokemon went down, straight into the water! The wave shook the entire water in the pool, toppling Lee onto his back and throwing Misty off the mat.

"Oh my! That was a wild and wet battle! Both team's respective Pokemon are down, but Misty couldn't bear the aftershock of the battle and fell into the water! That means...The queen has been dethroned! The challenger with the remaining Exeggcute wins!"

The crowd cheered onto the two trainers, as Lee hopped off the mat along with Misty, who climbed up from the water with her clothes and hair completely drenched..

"You did a great job out there! I loved battling with you."

"Thanks, you were great too."

"Here, you fought valiantly...take this Cascade Badge!

Lee received the Cascade Badge!

"And try using this! It should be good for your Wartortle."

Obtained TM03 Water Pulse!

"Great! Let's battle again sometime, I loved the thrill of staying on the water!"

"You betcha! That's the great thing about water battles!"

Lee left waving at the crowd, as the spotlight stayed on him until he went for the exit. Another gym down. Let's keep going.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Oh, so Lee gets a new Pokemon! Eggshell seems like they'll be a handful, heh.

Misty's gym battle I have mixed feelings with. I do like the audience aspect of it, especially when in the anime at least it's part aquarium, and the pacing with Eggshell and Staryu is fine. However, Hydro vs Starmie I can't picture in my head what was going on because it only lasted for a couple sentences. I also would like more reaction and body language from Lee and Misty during the battle. For instance, Misty's face fell when Staryu got hi with Hypnosis, and Lee's grin getting wider at that result.

Years
Chapter 10: Bad Encounter

Cerulean City Pokemon Center

Lee leaned back in his seat, resting his tired body against the seat. It was a hard battle-Hydro almost fainted and frankly, even Eggshell showed signs of disobeyment before the battle. Well, it wasn't surprising considering that he only had only one badge, but it was still a challenging battle. Speaking of the two Pokemon...Lee turned his head toward Hydro and Eggshell on the floor, both enjoying a nice meal from their bowls, after the hard fight. The trainer thought if he should have fed them with street food instead for more flavor, but he was unsure if a instant taco was healthy for beginner Pokemon like his Wartortle and Exeggcute. But anyway, back to the battle, it was, in Lee's own words, worth it-Hydro didn't have to rely on the weak Water Gun anymore.

As Lee looked up at the ceiling contemplating about the effectiveness of his all-offensive strategy, his right pocket started to buzz. Seeing the screen display "Gray" he accepted the call without any hesitation.

"Hello?"

Nothing but crackle made a reply to his question.

"Hello? Gray?"

"...elp me! They've got me, Poison Ivy's down! I'm on Route Fi-argh!"

"What? Who's got you!? Gray!? Hello!?"

All that could be heard after the sentence was an unending crackle, before a short beep commenced the beginning of total silence. Lee looked at the phone in disbelief-what just happened?

Whatever that situation was, Gray is in trouble! Lee thought as he barely moved his trembling hand back into his left pant pocket, to put the phone back in. And the last thing his friend said was that he was Route fi...Route 5! Lee tried to stay calm and keep his bearings together, to not muck up the situation even further. He had to get to Route 5, help his friend out-out of whatever situation he was in!

"Hydro! Eggshell! Get up, Gray's in trouble! We have to help him and Poison Ivy!"

"Wartortle! Wartortle!"

"Exegg! Exeggcute!"

Both Pokemon leaped up and followed their trainer, leaving a pile of uneaten Pokemon food behind. The shouts of onlookers were ignored as the boy sped out the center...

Route 5

...and even then the adrenalin still dried up. The trainer fell down into a one-leg kneeling position, huffing and puffing out to catch his breath as sweat drizzled down his glasses and clothes, before coughing a bit from the extended usage of the air in his lungs. And yet unlike humans, their trusted pets still had young, endless energy. Almost too realistic that you still use your stamina unlike in those movies...

"Wartortle! Wartortle!" Hydro pulled at his master's sleeve, to get him to keep going for his friend.

"Just go first Hydro I...gotta catch my breath..." Lee breathed in deep before coughing a bit again from the strain of his lungs. "Eggshell, go ahead...and find Gray! Come back to...to me when you find him, okay?"

"Exeggcute!"

"Wartortle...War!"

Lee's Wartortle suddenly smiled in epiphany, before spewing out some water and storing them in his mouth. Without his master's orders he still performed Water Gun...right into Lee's face.

"What the-PSHAW!" Lee tumbled backwards as the cold water hit his face, which went into his mouth and nose. Still, the boy couldn't dare to scold the turtle Pokemon-it came out of a good intent to recharge his trainer, and it worked...sort of, that is. Ohh, the morality of animals that care about you...

"Well...thank you Hydro, but try aiming for my mouth next time, alright?" Lee smiled a bit before petting the Wartortle's head, who growled softly in pleasure.
"Now go on, follow Eggshell! Find Gray before anything worse happens to him!"

"Wartortle!"

As the trainer watched his Pokemon run off, he got up and wiped as much water he could from his clothes before looking around, then walking looking for any signs of his friend. Hopefully, my Pokemon, they'll turn up with Gray...I experienced what they did for me. If they're that smart. They can do this. I just hope they didn't take my message the wrong way like Hydro did before-

...His thoughts were broken when Hydro came back and tugged Lee's hand, while Eggshell gathered around the boy.

"Good boys, did you find anything?"

Both pokemon shook their heads, making a sad pouted face.

"Gray, where in Route 5 are you..."

As the boy tore out his hair in frustration, Lee could smell something weird...a scowling stench, not of meat, but something akin to the smell of a burning cigarette. In a moment of realization, the boy froze, dead in his tracks and realized-Gray said that Poison Ivy was down and out. Maybe, just maybe, if the enemy had a Fire-type pokemon and used it on Poison Ivy, the result of the fire burning poisoned grass on the fainted Bulbasaur's body would create such a foul stench... and when there was something burning, there had to be smoke. The boy looked up-maybe he could be wrong and it could be another wrong battle, but it was the only chance he had as of now! And sure enough the black smoke was coming not too far from them, somewhere near the Underground Path's entrance if the town map was to be trusted.

"I think we've found him! Come on, Hydro, Eggshell, let's go!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took Lee about 10 minutes to get down to the end of Route 5, with him running at full speed to get to Gray. As he got closer the singed smell got worse, and he could hear voices too-and finally through the tall grass, he could see his friend on the ground, his stuff thrown on the ground away from him, and his Bulbasaur smoking beside its Trainer!

"Please! I'm all out of Pokemon!" Gray nervously crawled backwards, his clothes being dusted from what Lee could assume was a beforehand fight.

"Nice try, kid!" The assailant, who Lee could not see through the tall grass, kicked Gray despite his moans of pain. "Now give me your Bulbasaur or my daughter uses Ember on you."

Daughter? Lee thought. There was only one person he knew, to do something this heinous-with a daughter! He sprung into action, emerging from the tall grass!

"HEY! That's my friend you're messing with!" Standing in front of his friend, Lee's face became red with anger as he faced the Team Rocket family. "This is the end for all of you! I won't forgive you especially for this one!"

"Lee!"

"Ah! The decoy worked like a charm!" Clyde crossed his arms, as if he was waiting for the boy. "Tough luck, kid-you've fallen right into our trap to save your idiot friend!"

"Yeah, and too bad we've got the high ground now!" Belle slyly came out front and shoved Lee backwards, which made him flinch-however the angry expression on his face could not be changed. "We outnumber you this time, and we will win! Mom! Go for it!"

"Alright now, then! Perfect timing, my child!" Bonnie took the pose, with Clyde and Belle at the ready.

"Prepare for trouble!"
"Make it double!"
"To protect the world from devastation!"
"To unite all peoples within our nation!"
"To denounce the evils of truth and love!"
"To extend our reach to the stars above!"
"Bonnie!"
"Clyde!"
"Team Rocket, blasts off at the speed of light!"
"Surrender now, or prepare to fight!"
"Yeah, that's right!"

Team Rocket Grunts Bonnie, Clyde, and Belle want to battle!

"Hydro, Eggshell! Get them!" Lee shouted. This was bad, he had two Pokemon to face off against three people! Nevertheless, he had to fight, for his friend!

"Wartortle!" The Turtle Pokemon turned towards the Egg Pokemon.

"Exeggcute, Exeggcute!" All the heads nodded back, as the heads all performed a death stare at their opponents.

"Go for it, Flame!" Belle yelled, her pink hair swishing from her throw.

"Char!" This time, a Charmeleon popped out-a clear sign that Belle had been training too!

"Get them, Raticate!" Bonnie took out a Pokeball too!

"SQUEAAK!" Bonnie's Mouse Pokemon shrieked out a battle cry.

"Ekans, go!"

Clyde's Ekans hissed, before getting ready to lunge at the Pokemon-or the kids, depending on whatever he ordered.

"Lee!"

At the cry of his friend, Lee turned his head to Gray, realizing he had crawled over to his bag while Lee had distracted them!

"Take this! You too, Poison Ivy!"

Gray threw a small piece to his Pokemon and Lee, with the latter fumbling at the catch and barely grabbing it. The Bulbasaur shook off its ashes and growled lowly-this piece was a revive!

The two trainers and the three Rocket goons faced each other in silence, as the Pokemon all looked at each other in a showdown about to happen, in one, first, attack...

"Okay, Hydro! Eggshell! Water Pulse against Flame, Confusion against Ekans!"

"I'll help!" Gray painfully got up, limping on his right leg. "Poison Ivy, Vine whip against Raticate!"

Eggshell shot out a beam of psychic energy, while Hydro spat out a ball of water directly aimed at Flame's tail, with Poison Ivy helping choking Raticate with its vines!

"Flame, use Smokescreen! Take cover!"

"Ekans, Poison Fang against that Bulbasaur!"

"Raticate, go for Hyper Fang!"

Although the Charmeleon hid behind his wall of smoke, the Water Pulse still hit his tail, making him yelp in pain. But with Ekans biting poison into Poison Ivy and Raticate nibbling on its vines, the boys' Pokemon were forced to retreat.

"Little help over here, Lee! Poison Ivy, use Bide!"

"I got you! Hydro, Water Gun against Flame, Eggshell-use Confusion again!"

Ekans was once again at Eggshell's mercy, which gave a final shrill over the unending psychic energy before propelling itself backwards and falling over. Flame was on all fours drenched in water with its tail weakly burning, with Raticate getting double of what he had given by Poison Ivy.

"Goddam-Urgh, Ekans, return!"

"We're winning, Gray!" Lee shouted before turning to his Pokemon. "Guys, Push forward! Hydro, use Water Pulse! Eggshell, Stun Spore!"

"Poison Ivy, use Absorb!"

"Raticate, use Hyper Fang against that insolent Wartortle!"

"Flame, use Fire Spin against that Bulbasaur!!"

"Incoming! Brace, Poison Ivy!"

As Hydro was mauled by the big-fanged rat Pokemon, with Eggshell trying to uselessly pepper the Raticate with paralysis-inducing spores, there was no one to block the fire from reaching Gray's Bulbasaur...or did it? The Seed Pokemon closed its eyes, before its bulb started glow-and then its body!

"Poison Ivy! What's going on!?" Gray gasped in shock and awe.

"Gray! He's-"

The flame spin hit its target but it only forced him backwards-not the resulting flaming carcass it was before! Instead its bulb burst open revealing a red bud, and long, green vines shot out of it and struck Raticate, sending it flying backwards right into Flame-knocking them both out of commission!

"...Ivysaur!"

The now-evolved Poison Ivy, now an Ivysaur, helped Hydro up using his vines-the boys were victorious!

"Urgh! No!" Clyde shouted in frustration. "Raticate, return!"

"You-you defeated my parents!?" Belle was not amused as she cradled Flame in her arms. "That's impossible! They-I mean, at least mom is a high ranking official in Team Rocket-"

"Hold it, hold it! Just stop right there!" Lee interrupted their speech, anger evident in his eyes as he stood alongside his injured friend. "I don't know about you guys, but it's been years since Team Rocket went KAPUT! What are you talking about!?"

"Ah...that's where we beat you! In knowledge!" Bonnie said. "Let me explain this to you idiot kids! Our great leader, Giovanni, has returned to save us Team Rocketeers from losing our ground in Kanto!"

"That's right, little runt!" Clyde followed up after his wife, taking off his hat to reveal his bald spot. "After Red forced our great leader into hiding, the righteous people of Team Rocket lost against the forces of evil and were banished from society. However, our Johto team managed to make contact with Giovanni before they were disbanded by another evil trainer. Hearing of our resistance against this evil society, he came to us people in need, once again, to make Team Rocket great again! And this time, we will triumph!"

"You're crazy!" Gray shouted, walking in front of Lee despite his injured body. "Team Rocket sold, tested and killed Pokemon! What kind of sickos are you to revive a team like that!?"

"So you don't want the money? The power?" Belle stepped out in front, before standing up to Gray face by face. "You won't say the same thing when you lose all your stuff and all you've got is people who mock you back home!"

"Stand back, Belle!" Clyde stepped in front again. "Don't you call my daughter like that, for you shall face the wrath of Team Rocket!"

"Red is gonna kick your butt!" Lee shouted, stepping up to Clyde in defiance. "You'll never succeed!"

"Like that's gonna happen again!" Clyde forcefully poked the trainer in the chest with his finger, but Lee managed to remain in his posture. "Listen up, you...you Red follower, Giovanni has trained in the years following our disbandment, and he is no longer afraid of that pesky...pest!"

"Then I'll stand up. In fact, every trainer is gonna be against you!"

"Pshaw! You'll never be as great as the great Giovanni!" Clyde poked Lee again, harder, this time making him flinch and take a step backwards. "No, in fact, you will never be great as your idol, Red! If you want to stop us, you'll need something more than your little turtle and pink eggs!"

Before Lee could think of more profanities to say to his enemy, Clyde pulled out a smoke bomb! The pin dropped to the ground, and in seconds...

"See you around...you brats."

POOF! With a gray smoke, they were gone, leaving the two trainers behind.

"Those grunts! Argh!" Lee threw his hat on the ground in anger, huffing in rage. "They hurt you just to lure me! And now we have Team Rocket returning!"

"Lee, calm down!" Gray grabbed Lee. "They're right. Giovanni has come back, along with a new Team that they claim can defeat red...that means We have to get stronger-"

"What do you mean he's right!? We have to get stronger!?" Lee turned to Gray, anger still not vented out of him. "Hell no! Lemme at em! I'm gonna rip them apart with my own hands!"

"Sweet Arceus, calm down!" Gray barely grabbed his friend by his arms. "We barely won! We can't take on them right now!"

"Grr!" Lee let out a final growl before an angry sigh. Gray let him go from his grasp.
"Gah, I still don't believe this. Are you alright?"

"Yeah...barely." Gray replied as he limped to his friend. "They sprained my right leg. I've got a few bruises too but they'll heal."

"Yeah...right right...gotta calm down..." The trainer was still restless, his Wartortle and Exeggcute worried by his side as the former brought his hat back. "You said we had to get stronger to beat them, right? Now that I think about it...you might be right, sorry about before. We gotta get to Vermillion together for the next gym. I'll help you until you can get medical attention, but could you also help me to relax? I might lose it if I keep thinking about those Rockets."

"Alright..."

As Lee got Gray's right arm around his neck, both the trainers and their Pokemon opened the door to the Underground Pass, a path that would lead to Vermillion City, toward an unknown yet ominous future to clash with the evil forces that had returned...

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I think this is your best chapter so far, pacing and writing wise. I like the sensory description of the smell of Poison Ivy's burns. You have the rest of the chapter focus on Gray and Lee going against Team Rocket and the news of Giovanni returning. With all the references to Red, I wonder if he'll ever make an appearance.

Years
I think this is your best chapter so far, pacing and writing wise. I like the sensory description of the smell of Poison Ivy's burns. You have the rest of the chapter focus on Gray and Lee going against Team Rocket and the news of Giovanni returning. With all the references to Red, I wonder if he'll ever make an appearance.

Oh, you will get to see Red later on in the story alright!

Years
Chapter 11: Death Stranded

Vermilion City

"Come on, just a bit further to the Pokemon Center."

"I know, but it hurts too much."

It had been a hard trek for Lee and Gray-the underground path and Route 6 had proven too much for Gray's beaten up body and a sprained leg. The two boys were now leaning on each other, barely walking into Vermilion with the energy that they had left.

It was a miracle they had made it to the Pokemon Center. The door opened for them, thankfully.

"Nurse! I need some help here, my friend is hurt!"

"Alright, bring him over here." The nurse took the weight off Lee, taking his friend and laying him on a gurney. "Chanseys, move out! We have a wounded!"

"Thanks Lee...I wouldn't have made it here alone." Gray grabbed Lee's hand tight. "I'll return the favor someday, I promise."

"Don't mention it, it was my pleasure beating up those Rockets." Lee replied, smiling at his friend. "You'll get more Pokemon and become stronger sometime."

"Yeah, I plan to...after I heal up that is." The brown-haired boy leaned his head on the pillow on the gurney, relieved that he himself was safe now. "I'll be back in action soon, okay? In the meantime, get stronger!"

"Take care. Gray."

Lee watched the Chanseys take the gurney away-his friend was in safe hands now, and he could worry about more...immediate matters. Next up was the Electric-type gym, headed by Lt. Surge, a battle-hardened Pokemon gym leader. He had heard Ground-type Pokemon were effective at taking down Electric types, but in his opinion he had so many reasons to be hesitant about that-Geodude? Too lumpy. Sandshrew? Not his type. Diglett? Don't even consider it. But then maybe, he did see in his map that, next to Cerulean, there was Route 9-with Rock Tunnel nearby. Maybe, in an area less traveled, there could be nice-looking, powerful Ground-type Pokemon he hasn't seen yet. Maybe. At least that's what he hoped. After punching the button on the vending machine, Lee picked up the dispensed lemonade-he'll recharge for a bit, then go back to Cerulean.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cerulean City-Route 9

The sun had started to set by the time Lee had reached Route 9. Still, during the walk he could reflect upon recent events, crazy things that happened after Team Rocket announced their return: the Charmander stolen from Prof. Oak's lab, Attack on the Museum, on Bill, on Gray...these guys were attacking everyone. Even the original Team Rocket wasn't like that, something was off, he had heard what the Rockets were like. A direct assault, to his knowledge, was not how Giovanni operated-

-his thought was broken up by his Wartortle tugging his pants.

"Hey, what's the matter, little guy?"

"Wartortle!"

Hydro, with a panicked face, pointed at people who were running towards the direction of Route 10. At the sight Lee froze in shock. Black uniforms, white gloves and boots, and the signature R on their chest-definitely Team Rocket! Lee could see they were carrying something in a hurry, but he couldn't see what it was as they were running too fast.

"War, wartortle!"

"Wow...Hydro, It's...Looks like they weren't kidding when they said they had "returned". Come on Hydro, whatever they're planning has to be stopped!"

Lee started running after them, to Route 10, with Hydro being put in his Pokeball as he was a bit slow. He had to get back at them for Gray, for Bill, for Professor Oak...for everything! The boy barely saw them run into the Rock Tunnel-what could they possibly want in Rock Tunnel?

"Okay, guys." The trainer gripped on his two Pokeballs on his belt. "Let's do this."

...but before Lee could step into the abyss, a massive boom shook the ground, and rocked his ears! The boy collapsed on his rear, as his head continued to ring from the explosion.

"Hnng!" Lee put his hands up on his ears-after a ringing came this long beep sound that sounded like a noise from a blooper, giving a pain that was akin to piercing his head before stopping. "Whoa...what was that!?"

BOOM! The question was left in the air as another explosion occured, shaking the cave and scattering little rocks down onto Lee's feet.

"Holy-What is wrong with them Rockets!? What are they doing!?"

Blinded by revenge, worry, and youthful stupidity, Lee ran into the darkness head-on, not caring anymore about the ringing that continued to ravage his ears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Tunnel

But soon Lee realized that someone might have heard his swearing, and that they might get suspicious. He took a crouching pose and hid behind some boulders, before peeking out at the sound of footsteps to see a Team Rocket member on guard, wearing a helmet with a flashlight. He needed that if he was going to venture further into the pitch-black cave. That and, he also needed to take the guard out.

"Okay...think Lee, think. What could..." He couldn't dare to take out his Pokemon as, at this close distance, the sound of the Pokeball opening would be enough to alert them to the presence of an intruder.

"Yeah-that should work." Lee scoured the ground with his eyes, looking for anything. "This better work."

Picking up some small rocks, the trainer picked all of them up and took up a pose carefully-akin to what he would do if he were to throw a Pokeball. Boom-although he was a bit disoriented by the explosion, he threw the rocks at the same time to cover up his sounds. The rocks flew into the air and hit the intended target, breaking the flashlight on the helmet in the process.

"Hey!" The Rocket grunt cried. "You jerks, ease it on the excavation bombs! You're gonna make this place come down, then we can't mine the stones!"

"Yeah, whatever, Tory!" Another voice sounded from the farther side, this time a more familiar sound. The girl's father-Lee was sure of it. "Since when were you such a pussy? How did you even get into Team Rocket!?"

"Ah, forget it! Just give me another helmet, this one's broken!"

The grunt called "Tory" walked away into the direction of the voices to get a new helmet, while throwing the "broken" one down onto the ground.

Yes! That sure worked! Lee thought silently to himself as he picked up and strapped the helmet onto himself. Now to stop Team Rocket, and the girl's parents...and maybe, if I'm super lucky, the girl herself.

He had to flick the switch a couple of times to make the flashlight come back to life. The glass was broken so he couldn't see far, but it was just enough light to see what was in front of him. And hopefully it would not alert the Rockets, as even people like that would react to a light shining in their face that the unbroken lens would create.

"Alright...Let's stop this mining scheme."

Into the darkness Lee went, and he tried to be as cautious as he could about staying hidden. His sneakers brushed against the cave rock, its wearer barely sneaking past unsuspecting minions carrying out rocks-maybe they had something valuable inside? Or were they valuable? The boy could not finish this mystery, as the light on his helmet flickered before dying completely.

"Come on, not now. Light up, light up..." Lee muttered to himself while flipping the switch repeatedly-his mind focused on getting the light up again before he accidentally runs into a goon. Unfortunately he bumped into something worse—a pile of wooden crates in front of him! A crate fell onto Lee, which he barely caught with his hands, but he lost his balance on his feet due to the kinetic energy of the crate! And then another explosion threw him off his feet, making him tumble down an almost-invisible slope in the darkness along with the box! The boy tumbled down along with the crate and a few rocks, and suddenly the slope ended and for a few seconds, Lee felt nothing but air under him-and gravity soon smashed the little kid and the box he rolling along with on the ground, sending sticks of dynamite that were in the crate flying!

"Umph!"
The boy landed hard on the ground and lay there in pain, covered in wood from the crate. If not for the helmet, he would have died; but that was not his most immediate concern. From what he could see in his downed position, Team Rocket-or their forces, which were here nevertheless-had stopped their job of placing explosives and looked at the direction of the racket Lee had caused.

"Hey! We got an intruder over here!"

Two grunts came running towards Lee, and before the boy could do anything his arms were grabbed and he was slapped in the face, making him look away in pain. The rest of the Rocket grunts came running, with a familiar view; Bonnie and Clyde, facing him again-but this time, in a completely reversed situation.

"...Well well, I wouldn't be surprised. This kid tried to mess with our operations several times. Lee, was it?" Clyde got uncomfortably close to his face.

"I don't know what you idiots are doing..." The trainer spoke out, despite the men in front of him being enemies that could mess him up. "...but you don't even realize what you're doing. You're scaring the Pokemon, you asshats!"

"Pokemon? What Pokemon?" Bonnie came closer to Lee. "Oh, the ones we drove out? Too bad, we Rockets are stronger."

"This passage is filled with evolutionary stones and gems that could have been sold for tremendous prices." The husband intervened, looking at the insurgent kid in the face again."You foolish people just turned it into an ordinary passage, saying that "pokemon could get disturbed". But then, we arrrived, and ta-daa! We just uncovered the potential of this passage, and all of this money will go to funding the righteous Team Rocket!"

"Righteous!?" Lee shouted. "You call this righteous!? If you're gonna go killing pokemon, I'll kill you first, right here!"

Lee kicked out both of his legs-although no one was hurt, the Pokeballs fell out of his holster, and before the Rockets could grab it, his pokemon were released!

"Wartortle!"

"Exeggcute!"

"Hydro! Eggshell! Help me out here!"

"You just messed with the wrong team, kid!" Bonnie threw her Pokeball out!

"Likewise! Get him, Ekans!" Clyde, without having to throw the Pokeball, just let Ekans slide from his neck and land onto the battlefield!

"Raticate, use Bite!" The Rocket member commanded her Rattata, who dashed furiously at the Pokemon!

"Ekans, Poison Fang on that Egg!"

"Look out, Hydro! Eggshell! Use Water Gun and Confusion!"

Being mauled by the enormous Mouse Pokemon, the Turtle Pokemon used this chance to jet water onto the Rattata's face, and Eggshell sent out a wave of confusing energy against the Snake Pokemon! Clyde's Ekans, confused by the hit, jumped away from the Egg Pokemon...but jumped elsewhere, to the direction of the yet to be installed explosives-the trigger! It had been connected prior to Lee's arrival! Both sides fruitlessly tried to revert the effect of attacks, but it was too late as the snake's weight pressed on the trigger! At that moment Lee felt the grip loosen on his arms as a chain of explosions rocked the cave, as the whole of Team Rocket started to run!

"Drop him, drop the kid! Get out of here, we're evacuating the premises!"

"The operation is a failure! Evacuate immediately!"

"Leave the kid here, that should eliminate him! No witnesses should remain!"

He lay on the ground, powerless and wounded, his enemies leaving him to die. Despite his hurt state, Lee's Pokemon desperately tugged his hand, to get his trainer out even if it meant sacrificing their lives-but their trainer had other ideas.

"Exeggcute! Exeggcute!"

"Wartortle! War-"

"I-I'm sorry guys...there's not enough time for all of us..." The trainer continued, grabbing each ball in his hands. "But I can keep you all safe..."

"WARTORTLE!"

Lee pulled out the Pokeball and quickly put Hydro and Eggshell back in before they could say any more about it, before hugging it and covering over his two Pokeballs. A massive, final explosion rocked the whole passage and the cave shook raining debris, and seconds later he felt something hard and heavy strike him in the head, knocking his glasses out and fading him out while causing his head to feel a sharp pain, followed by dulling of his senses.

Go to sleep. He swore he heard his mother call out to him, as darkness enveloped his sight. Silence.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I thought this would be Lee going against Team Rocket family round 2, only for the chapter to end that way. I think Lee survived in the end there because this story would be much shorter if that's not the case haha. Still though, just ouch.

Grammar wise, what I noticed is you using hyphens instead of em dashes. Hyphens are used for putting two words together like "co-op", "check-in", and "state-of -the-art." Em dashes, on the other hand, are longer hyphens sometimes used for dramatic punctuation.

"Come on, not now. Light up, light up..." Lee muttered to himself while flipping the switch repeatedly-his mind focused on getting the light up again before he accidentally runs into a goon. Unfortunately he bumped into something worse-a pile of wooden crates in front of him! A crate fell onto Lee, which he barely caught with his hands, but he lost his balance on his feet due to the kinetic energy of the crate! And then another explosion threw him off his feet, making him tumble down an almost-invisible slope in the darkness along with the box! (etc)

The first hyphen there should em dashes. Your second hyphen though is correct. So the first bolded sentence goes:

Unfortunately he bumped into something worse—a pile of wooden crates in front of him!

Usually, em dashes are easy to make by having two dashes (--) and then the computer changes it to an em dash easy. The rules for hyphens and em dashes are a bit complicated, but I would take the time to check the rules out!

Years
Chapter 12: Taken Care Of

Lee opened his eyes again, as if he was waking up from a long sleep- he was in his room again, under a thick blanket on his comfy bed-all the things that happened to him, were they a dream? He looked up at the ceiling for some time, before getting the blanket off him and getting up on his feet. It was then the boy realized he was still in his adventure clothing, and only his bag was gone. All things aside-how did he get here? Where were his bag and Pokemon?

"Mom?"

The boy walked up to the door of his room and opened it, walking down the stairs to the living room and kitchen on the first floor. No one was here-not even a sign. All the lights were off in the house, but outside it was unusually bright-Lee shielded his eyes from the gleam, walking toward the door to see where this light was coming.

"Mom? Hydro? Where are you?"

Grabbing the door handle firmly, he turned the knob and closed his eyes as more light blinded his sight of what was there...

Lavender Town

"Cubone! Cubone!"

The cry of the Lonely Pokemon echoed as the trainer slowly opened his eyes for real this time, before touching his face to make sure things were real this time-in reality he sure wasn't back home, although he was in bed. He saw an old man approaching, his Cubone by Lee's bedside.

"Are you alright, boy?" The old man sat beside the bed, and started checking on Lee's injuries. "You've healed fast, for a kid like you."

"I'm fine sir...I think." Lee replied, touching the back of his head which was in bandages. Rock must have hit me in the head...I must have been knocked out. "Where am I, sir?"

"Oh yeah, about that...You're in Lavender Town." The old man continued. "The Lavender Volunteer Pokemon House, to be exact. I'm Fuji, the owner of this place."

"Oh...Mr. Fuji, sir..." The boy laid back, relieved in the fact that he was alive and in safe hands. He had heard of Mr. Fuji as the kindest Pokemon caretaker in the region of Kanto, who took care of Pokemon even back in the dark days of Team Rocket's heyday. "Thank you for saving me..."

"No, there's no need to thank me, young man. I was just doing what was needed."

As Lee lay on the bed gazing into the ceiling, he suddenly remembered why he got here in the first place: those who destroyed the cave. Those that left him and his pokemon to die, and probably knocked out dozens more Pokemon before his arrival.

"Mr. Fuji, hate to ask you sir, but, did you see any Rockets?"

"Team Rocket? No, I've heard that they've returned but...not yet."

Darn! They slithered away. Lee curled his hands into a fist, before uncurling them. Too late for ass-kicking, and even if it wasn't, not in his state. But...his Pokemon! Were they safe? He had almost killed himself to protect them, they had to be okay! In a moment of panic, the boy lurched from the bed.

"Sir! What about my Pokemon? Are my pokemon okay?"

"Yes, I put your Exeggcute with the other pokemon...your Wartortle's still recovering, though."

"What?" Lee was visibly shocked-Hydro was hurt!? "B-but I swear I put him in the Pokeball...sir, how was I found?"

"I was walking Cubone on Route 10 when I heard this big explosion. And your Exeggcute came to me-it tried to alert me, to something in the cave. When I got there, you were buried in rubble with your Wartortle, and both of you were awfully wet." Mr. Fuji, recalling the peculiar condition of the accident, approached Lee in a moment of realization. "You said you put your Pokemon in the Pokeball?"

"Yes sir."

"Hmm...I think your Wartortle popped out of the ball and tried Water-type moves on the rubble before it completely covered you both."

"What?" The trainer gripped onto the bars of the bed in shock. His Pokemon just...popped out of his ball even though the master told them not to!? "W-Why?"

"It's happened to several Pokemon I know. Popping out of their balls out of rebelliousness, or to save their trainers." Mr Fuji grasped Lee's hand, helping him to sit on the bed after the period of shock on his body caused by the falling rocks. "But thanks to him, you only suffered some bruises and some bleeding on your head-you would have died should it not been for your Wartortle."

"H-Hydro..." Lee couldn't control himself-he started to cry, about how he didn't want to die, but most importantly how he didn't want his Pokemon hurt. "P-please tell me he's okay!"

"I had to get him to the Pokemon Center and feed him Oran Berries, but he's stabilized for now. You should stay here a bit, until you and your Pokemon is fully healed."

"Th-thank you." Lee said. "Can I see Hydro? The Wartortle..."

"You named your Wartortle 'Hydro'? You sure are a nice trainer, caring for your Pokemon and all." Mr. Fuji spoke as Lee got up from the bed. "I'll take you to see your Wartortle, follow me."

"Thank y-you."

Lee got up from his bed and wiped his tears away-he had to stay strong, for Hydro. As he walked following Mr. Fuji, Lee, in a passing glance, saw Eggshell was playing with Cubone and some other Pokemon, which comforted the boy on the fact that at Eggshell suffered no injuries despite helping him in a way. Soon they got into a room, where the old man opened the door to reveal Lee's Wartortle confined in a small bed for Pokemon. his body wrapped with bandages and barely moving.

"He just needs some time to heal. No need to worry too much."

"I don't know how to thank you, sir." Lee sniffed, still wiping his tears, before eventually calming down enough to pick up Hydro. "You okay, little guy?"

"Wartortle." Even with all its injuries, Hydro hugged Lee tight, still determined to protect his trainer from the harms that be.

"Don't worry, I'm here for you..." In response, the trainer could only hug the Pokemon, feeling his tears drop again... "I-I'm sorry I couldn't protect you like you did..."

"Wartortle..."

Both the trainer and his pokemon locked each other in a hug, for neither wanted to lose each other...no more...

Several days later...

Lee flinched as Mr. Fuji undid the bandage on Lee's head. The boy, rather patiently, sat on the chair, watching the bloodied bandages drop to the ground. Looking to the left, the trainer could see Cubone was doing the same for Hydro, breaking the hardened bandages apart with its bone.

"I saw in your phone memo that you came to Rock Tunnel to find a pokemon that could battle against Electric-types."

"You looked in my phone, sir?" If it was someone else that looked in his device Lee would have been infuriated. But that someone was a nice, kind old man who cares deeply about pokemon-you'd have to be a psycho to be angry against someone like that for that minor of an offense.

"Nothing bad intended. I was just searching it to find anyone to contact." The old man continued, checking Lee's wound. "I called your mom and dad and told them about the incident and your recovery. If you're gonna continue your adventure, let me give you a piece of advice: you can go to Celadon City's Game Corner and get a Dratini. There's an underground path that leads there, not far from here, in Route 7."

"Thank you sir. I'm grateful for all the things that you've done for me and my Pokemon. If I weren't found by-"

That was when Lee's phone rang. The kid took it out of his bag, before seeing the caller-his mom. She was probably worried sick right now, even after Mr. Fuji called him.

"Hold on sir, one moment...Hello?"

"Lee! Oh thank god...you're safe! I heard from the nice Mr. Fuji-"

"Mom! It's okay...I'm perfectly fine, Mr. Fuji took care of me and Hydro."

"Thank god! I just wonder who would hurt my son!"

"Mom, like I said, I'm alright, but you have to calm down..."

"I know, Lee-Dad left work early to look for you when we both got a call from Mr. Fuji. But you should come home soon, you're worrying use all! What if-"

"Mom! Please, I know I'll come home sometime, but not as of now! I've got more gym badges to earn and more Pokemon to meet, and...I can't pin it exactly, but I've onto something important. I just need...more time."

"...I'm sorry, honey. I'm just so worried about you, just...promise you won't be in any more dangerous situations."

"I will, mom...I will. I'll call you more often, and I'll always come back home when things get too hard."

"Alright...take care, sweetie. And please...don't get yourself in dangerous situations, call us often."

"I will mom. Love you!"

Hanging up the phone, Lee soon hung the bag on his shoulders and reached for his cap, pushing them down all the way, hiding his scar, which was obscured by his black hair, even further.

"Thank you for taking care of us Mr. Fuji, I owe you sir." Lee gave a gentle bow to the elder-a display of gratefulness. "But I've got to go now. My journey's still a long way from ending and my friend over at Vermillion is probably panicking about me being involving in an accident like before."

"It was my pleasure. But if you do want to repay me, if you ever return here...visit Marowak's grave with me."

"I will, sir." Lee sighed. He had heard that a Marowak had been killed by a Team Rocket grunt, but he had never seen her offspring, which was adopted by Mr. Fuji, with his own eyes until now. Knowing that, he could understand Mr. Fuji-you can't save everyone, but you have to save whoever you can.

"Say, I don't think I've asked your name." The old man stopped Lee in his tracks with the question. "What's your name, young man?"

"Lee Hahn, sir-10 years old and going on my first journey."

With that answer, Lee started taking steps out of the room. But before leaving to find the underground path, Lee turned back to take a last look at the Cubone and his old trainer, before continuing his journey to face more adventures in front of him...

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Yeah I expected Lee to survive there. Luckily Mr. Fuji found him. Ouch over Hydro, though.

"...I'm sorry, my child. I'm just so worried about you, just...promise you won't be in any more dangerous situations."
The part during the conversation where the mother says, "my child," sounds so stiff. Maybe "dear", "honey", "sweetie" (which you used later) are more natural sounding.

Grammar wise, I still see you mixing hyphens for em dashes. Refer to my last review to get a basic idea of what I was talking about.

Years
Chapter 13: Moving Along

Route 8

A slight wind grazed the tall grass patches of Route 8, rustling the flora and revealing the Pokemon that lived in it. However, the mons, quickly sensing danger, hid themselves among the taller grasses or ran into another patch. Through their eyes they could see an apex predator dragging their sneakers through the grass, but to Lee, who was at this point barely wading through the tall grass, nothing could be seen. This was bad-he was already wandering around the route lost in the big grass patch while looking for a new Pokemon to take up against Surge and Gray. Either I'm unlucky or I've done something to repel the Pokemon away...the boy thought as he pulled apart another part of the grass. No luck again.

"Where the heck are all the Pokemon!?"

Lee shouted out in frustration, only to see several bushes shaking away-he had just scared them away at the last moment, hadn't he? This just heightened the trainer's frustration, but for a 10 year old kid he gave up on going verbal-just not to scare away anymore Pokemon.

"Okay Lee...focus..." Lee spoke to himself, turning again to another patch of tall grass in the area. Maybe a dangerous Pokemon could appear, but at this point he's not even met any pokemon but this might be the risk that he might have to take for the Pokemon...well, the only problem with that was, considering the previous encounter, the possibility of finding a Pokemon was rated at a measly 'might'.

"Well, I don't think I'll be interested in catching Pokemon anymore after this patch...Here we go."

The trainer took another step into the grass, when suddenly a jet of flames shot up directly at his face, missing him by mere inches! The boy fell onto his bottom as the attacker revealed itself, its red fur evident from its swinging six tails as the Pokemon leaped in front of Lee!

A Wild Vulpix Appeared!

"Whoa!" Panicking, the 10 year old scooted back while trying to reach for his Pokeball!

"Vul! Vulpix!" The Fox Pokemon, encouraged by the panic of its prey, leapt at the boy for the attack!

"Hydro! Help!" Lee quickly hit the button on the red-and-white contraption device, releasing his own personal monster-his Wartortle! "Block the fire!"

"Wartortle!"

Both Pokemon, at the same time, fired both of their ranged attacks at each other-nullifying each other out! The Vulpix, having failed at the attack, still used its leap to get over behind Lee, where Hydro quickly waddled to defend his trainer, who took out his Pokedex in order to identify what mon he was fighting against. The device quickly scanned the Fox Pokemon.

Vulpix, Fox Pokemon. Fire Type-At the time of birth, it has just one tail. The tail splits from its tip as it grows older.

"Hey, that looks good..." Lee, regaining his composure and standing up, tapped on the typing chart, seeing that it could cause double damage to what his current Pokemon team was weak against-bug, grass, etc. He also had read that one of the most common Electric type-pokemon, Magnemite, was weak to fire, so maybe she could help with the gym too! "Hydro! Go easy, I want to capture that...ah, Vulpix!"

Looking back at its trainer, the Wartortle nodded-before, effortlessly, taking a hit from the Vulpix! The shell absorbed the shock, sending Hydro backwards skidding on the ground, who attacked back by shooting a jet of water at the wild Vulpix.

"Vulpix!" The Fox Pokemon stood its ground despite the debilitating water attack. Although it seemed like the pokemon was on its last legs, Lee could not be too sure, so he decided to take the chance, even if it meant there could be a sizable chunk of health remaining!

"Good job Hydro! I got this!"

Hydro's trainer quickly took out a Pokeball from his backpack, before throwing it full speed at the weakened Fox Pokemon. The ball quickly put the wild Vulpix inside, before shaking wildly, indicating that it hadn't given up yet or had much health left! One - Two - Three! Three shakes, and the ball settled-before, a click,, completely stopped the ball.

"Whew...that was close." Lee wiped the sweat from his brows and went to pick up the ball, before realizing he had forgotten one crucial thing. "...Good job out there, Hydro."

"Wartortle!" The Wartortle beamed at the praise, jumping in joy at the new friend he helped to make.

"Okay, let's introduce the others now...come on out Eggshell! Come out, little Vulpix!"

In a flash, all of Lee's Pokemon, Hydro, Eggshell and the newly-caught Vulpix came out of the ball, before Eggshell made its first move-surrounding the new Pokemon and jumping around it, which seemed to comfort the little Fox Pokemon.

"Okay now." Lee took out his Pokedex again. "What kind of Vulpix did I catch? Pokedex, analysis?"

"Vulpix, Female. Timid nature suspected through battle postures, no secret ability detected."

The trainer petted the Vulpix, which growled in pleasure. The boys in his team were going to have a grand time, and they sure were-Hydro rubbed his head nervously smiling at the Fox Pokemon, while Eggshell was just happy for some reason.

"Okay, little Vulpix, what should I name you..." To think about the little Pokemon's name, Lee sat down for a moment to think about the Pokemon's nickname, before huddling the Vulpix on his lap. "I got it! How about I call you Kitsu? It's a firebreathing Pokemon legend I've heard about!"

"Vulpix!"

The Fox Pokemon smiled in happiness. For a trainer, a new teammate was in. For a pokemon, there was now a new master to take care of her.

Lavender Town

When Lee got back to Lavender Town, Lee thought if he had made the right decision by not deciding to catch a Ground Type Pokemon, but he shrugged. How hard could Electric types be? His worries floated away as Cubone ran up to him, with Mr. Fuji following the Pokemon.

"Cubone!"

"Ah, it's you! You're back quickly." Mr. Fuji looked at Lee's Pokemon, before looking at the trainer. He gently picked up the Cubone like it was his baby. "I suppose you didn't go all the way to Celadon?"

"Didn't have to go too far to find a beauty like this girl, Mr. Fuji." The boy watched as Kitsu eagerly hopped around Cubone, who played with her swinging his bone club. "She's a feisty one and there's the rest of my team too, it will take a whole heap of Electric types to kill our eagerness."

"You sure have confidence, Lee." Mr. Fuji replied to the child, seeing the eagerness of a starting trainer in his eyes. "You're going over to the Pokemon Center, right?"

"Yes sir." The trainer replied, rubbing one of his shoes on the ground. "I'm gonna rest up a while, heal my Pokemon, and figure out a way back to Vermilion. I could hitchhike a surfer and go back up the river, or get a ride from someone who has Fly."

"No need to, Lee. After the Rock Tunnel incident, many people who came from other towns, including you, are stranded. The Pokemon League will be sending over their professional trainers with Flying-type pokemon for an emergency transport operation. They'll be coming soon to the Pokemon Center."

"Oh wow, I didn't know that had been announced." A smile stretched across Lee's face as he signaled his other Pokemon to follow him to the Pokemon Center. "Thank you Mr. Fuji, I'll be taking the ride for sure. I'll come back for you and Cubone after I get the badges."

"It was my pleasure kid, good luck on your gym challenge!"

Thanks to the information he received from Mr. Fuji, Lee didn't have to worry about looking bad using other's transportation methods! Lee entered the Pokemon Center as quick as he could, soon joining the line of people who had joined here for the emergency flight...

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Oh, so Lee gets a Vulpix now! Looking forward to see how Kitsu will develop. I also like the idea of the Pokemon League sending some trainers to help out on some emergencies like what happened in Diglett Cave.

Some grammar nitpicks:

"Where the heck are all the Pokemon!?"

Lee shouted out in frustration, only to see several bushes shaking away-he had just scared them away at the last moment, hadn't he? This just heightened the trainer's frustration, but for a 10 year old kid he gave up on shouting out-just not to scare away anymore Pokemon.

You can combine that dialogue and the next paragraph together since shouted is a dialogue tag (said, reply, screamed, etc). Also I would replace the hyphen with a comma between "out" and "just".

"Vulpix!" The Fox Pokemon stood its ground despite the debilitating water attack-although it seemed like the pokemon was on its last legs, Lee could not be too sure-so he decided to take the chance, even if it meant there could be a sizable chunk of health remaining!

Here I think you can replace the first hyphen with a period and second hyphen with a comma, like this:

"Vulpix!" The Fox Pokemon stood its ground despite the debilitating water attack. Although it seemed like the pokemon was on its last legs, Lee could not be too sure, so he decided to take the chance, even if it meant there could be a sizable chunk of health remaining!

When Lee got back to Lavender Town, Lee thought if he had made the right decision by not deciding to catch a Ground Type Pokemon, but he shrugged-he would soon find out how actually hard Electric types are to fight against, I mean...how hard could it be? His worries floated away as Cubone ran up to him, with Mr. Fuji following the Pokemon.

I feel this sentence should be polished up. The "he would soon find out..." and "I mean..." contradict one another. So perhaps:

When Lee got back to Lavender Town, Lee thought if he had made the right decision by not deciding to catch a Ground Type Pokemon, but he shrugged. How hard could Electric types be? His worries (etc).

Years
Chapter 14: Shock Therapy

Vermilion City

As the Golbat landed in front of the Vermilion Pokemon Center, the people, including Lee, got off as the Bat Pokemon took off for another run-so many people were trapped in their cities, all thanks to Team Rocket. Lee sighed at the thought-imagine when you try to go back to a city when you hear a news that your way back just got destroyed! The trainer shook his head and headed to the entrance, but soon saw someone coming out and stepped backwards. The person turned out to be none other than Gray, who now had a Pidgeotto on his right shoulder and a Sandshrew hugging his left arm. Luckily, the boy was quick to notice his friend!

"Hey! Lee!"

"Heyy!" Lee gave a light hug to his friend, with the Pidgeotto, clearly annoyed by the intrusion of space, used Wing Attack on Gray's head weakly. "I'm back!"

"You look beaten up! I heard the news." As Gray talked to Lee, he ordered his Pidgeotto to fly away for some time, who quickly submitted to his owner's orders and flew off. "I'm glad you're okay. Did you give the Rockets hell?"

"Yeah, I sure did. It'll take more than just some goons to kill me." Lee rubbed his head, now not feeling anymore pain from his former injury. "Let's look at the bright side, at least we're on the right track and you'll be able to fight a Rocket like me too!"

"Heh, I guess that surely is the best thing to come out of all this! So glad you've returned safe and sound."

Lee smiled at the friend's remark. They were friends after all. He soon noticed the new Pokemon on Gray.

"I see you've gotten new Pokemon too. Nice Pidgeotto and Sandshrew." Lee said.

"I know, right? I named the Pidgeotto Winger, and the Sandshrew Duggy. Just finished training them, we're so gonna rule the gym!" Gray responded, full of optimism-the Pokemon were too. "What did you get?"

"Oh, me? I got a good one. Come on out, Kitsu!"

With a flick of the wrist, Lee threw the Pokeball into the air, which dropped down and released the Fox Pokemon! Kitsu landed close to Gray, startling him a bit as she breathed out a bit of fire.

"Vulpix!" The tiny pokemon rubbed its snout against the ground before puffing up its tails as a defense mechanism. It seemed to startle the Mouse Pokemon, making Duggy run back to his owner.

"Whoa, hold on...you didn't get any Ground-type pokemon?" Gray looked at Kitsu, then at Lee who seemed quite happy about his catch.

"Ground Pokemon we can get right now are so bland. And I want myself a challenge."

When he said that line, Lee could see his friend's face contort through various emotions-from confused, to a smirk, taken aback, then back to confused again, before settling on a smirk and laughing at the situation.

"You've got to be kidding me! You're digging your own grave." The brown-haired boy laughed at his friend. "The Electric Types will decimate you without any immunities!"

"Heh, Like that powerless Sandshrew could actually take in some attacks!" Lee shook his head smiling at Gray's remark. "You're not taking any chances."

"Yeah...good luck with your team, I guess, if you can make it!" By this time Gray had burst into full out laughter.

"I'd have wished yours too if you didn't belittle mine." Lee put back Kitsu in her ball and put it on his belt. "Come on, let's stop bickering and get going."

Vermilion CIty Gym

At the face of a challenge there was no distinction of friend and foe. Lee knew one thing though: he didn't know about Gray, but he was surely ready. He used his Water Pulse TM on Hydro for a stronger attack and was ready to use his main starter to his full potential. After all, although type immunities and effectiveness helped, battling was all about having powerful attacks that boost said type. The two friends, having set aside their childish jokes aimed at each other for the challenge ahead of them, walked up to the gym entrance, before stopping and looking at each other. The gym was exceptionally dark today...too dark.

"So, who challenges the Gym first? You know Gym leaders can't fight on double." Lee asked.

"You go first. I wanna see you lose!" Gray laughed, striking his back making his friend flinch.

Why can't there be a world without type immunities? Lee thought to himself as he shook his head at his rival's antic, and opened the doors of the gym.

"Hello?" He called out. The trainer expected the gym to be filled with sparks and arks, but apparently not, it seemed. You never knew Lt. Surge...well, that's what the league said about him. From what he read, he was never the same after he came back from the military-it had hardened him into a battle-ready Fighter pilot. Considering that kind of occupation involved shooting things moving in supersonic speed down while moving at supersonic speeds yourself there was no guarantee what in the world the Lieutenant was planning; That's how top guns work. As Lee stood in the dark deep in his thoughts, a sudden microphone squeal echoed across the gym, and Lee, in surprise, slipped on the waxed floor of the gym while taking a step back surprised at the sound, landing on his butt.

"You there, maggot! Yes, I see you entering my gym! Get up! Atten-shun!"

Somehow following the commands of the voice in the dark, Lee quickly got up to his feet before hastily standing up straight, his hands behind his back.

"Alright...not too bad. At ease!"

"Um..." The boy nervously stood in the darkness and slouched after a few minutes. After all, he was just a 10-

"SOLDIER! Keep your posture!"

The microphone voice barked at him, which prompted the kid in the gym to return back into 'attention' posture.

"Alright...not too shabby! Name and rank, soldier!"

"Uhh...Lee Hahn, Mr. Surge-"

"SOLDIER! When you answer me, the only words to come out of your filthy sewer will only be 'sir'! Do you understand!?"

"Y-Yes sir!" Lee stuttered but quickly got the hang of the rule. However the tenseness in the voice scared Lee to the core, who was right now about to cry.

And at that moment, in front of Lee, a bright arc lit up the entire gym! Electric sparks started to fizz between metal coils, and the electricity moved toward several coils on the walls-moving ahead of Lee and finally illuminating a light on Lieutenant Surge, standing in his full military gear! The kid looking at the gym leader covered his eyes to shield them from the bright lights.

"So you dare to challenge me, maggot!" The Lieutenant took firm, strong steps toward the challenger who was shook up by this boot camp experience. "You've persevered well, most trainers wet their pants at my commands and turn around! But I will not force you to fight me. Turn around if you think you are not ready!"

"I'm not going to back down, sir!" Lee shouted against Surge's words.

"I can't hear you, soldier!"

"I'M NOT GOING TO BACK DOWN!" Lee shouted louder, using his pent up rage from Surge's earlier commands. "SIR!"

"That's the spirit! You are worthy of battling me!"

"I challenge you, Gym leader Surge!"

"It's Lt. Surge, soldier! I've seen your determination! I've seen your strength! Give me your best, trainer! Ooh-rah!"

Gym Leader Lt. Surge would like to battle!

"Tango spotted, Voltorb!"

"Get him, Eggshell!"

As the pokeballs hurled across the battlefield and opened up, Lee's Exeggcute and Surge's Voltorb faced each other!

"Voltorb, Sonic Boom!"

"Eggshell, Confusion!"

The powerful psychic energy of Eggshell psychically attacked Voltorb, but it didn't stop Voltorb-its let out a wave of ultrasound, hitting Eggshell too!

"Take that Exeggcute out, Go for Sonic Boom again!" Lt. Surge yelled out its commands.

"Eggshell, Leech Seed!" Lee knew Eggshell had to regain health, especially against the Sonic Boom attack that caused fixed damage!

Eggshell rained a barrage of seeds that rooted against the floor, which started to drain what was left of Voltorb's life force! Another Sonic Boom hit Exeggcute but it miraculously held on, yet looking very beat up like it was clinging onto the last of its life! Luckily the seeds kicked in, sucking out what health the Ball Pokemon had left.

"Argh! Come back, Voltorb!" Lt. Surge took back its Pokemon, starting to become furious at the defeat of his Pokemon!

"Good job Eggshell!" Hmm, what now? Lee thought to himself-Eggshell was at low health but he had just planted the Leech Seed. If he swaps Eggshell for another Pokemon now he'll lose the effects of the seeding, but he didn't want to risk his Pokemon being knocked out at the first hit either. So with a hard choice he pressed the button on the Pokeball. "Return back here!"

"You're just lucky, this ain't over yet! Go for it, Pikachu!"

"Get him, Kitsu!"

This time the Pokeballs collided with each other in a miraculous possibility-and released the Pokemon up in the air! Both the Vulpix and Pikachu landed on the ground hard, but on their feet.

"Deploy munitions! Pikachu, Iron Tail!"

"Pika!" Pikachu's cheeks flashed with excited Electricity, beforeshooting he swung his hard tail at Vulpix, slamming and throwing her back into the wall!

"Kitsu!" Lee shouted at the sight of his Pokemon being thrown back! "Are you alright?"

"Vul...pix!" The Vulpix staggered up, painfully taking up a battle stance!

"Good, hit the Pikachu hard! Ember!"

"Vul!" Kitsu spit out a fireball which flew into the ground under Pikachu, sending him flying!

"Tango is going wild, Pikachu! Thunderbolt!"

"Focus, Kitsu! Use Ember quick!"

Pikachu succeeded in hitting Kitsu with the Iron Tail, but at that moment he put himself right in the firing line of the Ember! Both point-blank attacks, respectively, knocked both out in the air and made them crash onto the battlegrounds!

"You're good, kid!" The Lieutenant smiled, trying to suppress his rage as a soldier that was building up for losing another Pokemon. "But this is the end of the line! There's no way you're beating my last Pokemon!"

"I'd love to see the performance, sir!" Lee breathed in trying to calm himself, now that the situation was balanced out. But he was heartbroken at Kitsu just lying on the ground, knocked out. "I'm sorry I knocked you out at the first battle, Kitsu...You still did a great job. Rest up!"

Both Lt. Surge and Lee both put Pikachu and Kitsu respectively back in their balls, before picking out their final Pokemon-Lee knew this was bad, Hydro having to go up against an electric type! But he was not going to give up now, not when victory's so close!"

"Alright, you leave me no choice...Go, Raichu!"

"Hydro! Get out there!"

Both the Raichu and the Wartortle took on battle positions, as the Raichu smirked from the realization from the advantage he had! Hydro bit down on its tongue, anticipating a hard battle.

"Oh, a water type? You've become desperate, soldier!" Lt. Surge "I'm still not gonna take it easy! Raichu, use Thunderbolt!"

"Hydro, use Bite!"

As Raichu shot out a jolt of Electricity, Hydro swiftly dodged it and bit Raichu in the tail! The Mouse Pokemon squeaked in pain and hit itself against the ground, sending the Turtle Pokemon skidding on the ground! However, when Lee expected his starter to get back up again, it collapsed onto its fours!

"Hydro!"

"Ohh, you've fallen for the oldest trick in Military history!" Lt. Surge declared. "Raichu's Ability-Static-paralyzes the enemy tango when touched!"

"What!?" Lee took a step backwards before looking at Hydro, who was clearly in pain at not being able to move from the shock! "Hydro! Watch out!"

"Raichu, he's down! Use Thunderbolt!"

"Hydro, Withdraw! WITHDRAW!"

As the gigantic jolt of electric energy headed towarded the Turtle Pokemon, Hydro painfully tried to put its body back in its shell, but the paralysis got to him-the shock hit him before the Turtle Pokemon could hide for extra protection!

"You can always surrender, son!" The Lieutenant shouted, as to discourage the child trainer that was on the other side. "If you're not good enough, it's not a shame to admit it!"

"No! I've come too far, sir!" Lee bared his teeth, as Hydro painfully stood back up again! "Hydro, just one more time! Water Pulse!"

Painfully looking back at its trainer, the Wartortle nodded and breathed in deep-and with a painful recoil, he spewed out a gigantic burst of water at the Raichu, which blew up in its face!

"Wh-what!?" Lt. Surge was clearly confused-a power like that came from a Wartortle he thought was susceptible to his type of attacks!

"I read this when I first scanned Hydro, sir!" Lee replied to Surge, as the soldier the gym leader told the boy to be! "Hydro has an ability called Torrent-and it boosts attacks when he's low on HP!"

And that wasn't the only problem-the Water Pulse had caused confusion! Confused, Raichu lunged at Hydro, who quickly hid inside his shell! He crashed into the shell and was tackled onto the ground, as the Wartortle's shell bounced off the wall and landed behind the Mouse Pokemon.

"Get up, Raichu, your back flank is exposed!"

"Hydro, Bite!"

Using the last of his muscle powers to beat the paralysis, Hydro grabbed Raichu's head and bit it-not afraid of the Paralysis anymore now that he couldn't be paralyzed in his current status! Both Pokemon fell to the ground, but Hydro had the last laugh before succumbing to the electric paralysis.

"Oh my god! We did it Hydro!" Lee, Elated, ran straight on the battlefield and picked up his little Wartortle up, hugging him tightly! "I'm so glad we won! You've done a great thing, you beat the Paralysis to follow my orders!"

"Hmph!" The gym leader could not help but feel a soldier-to-soldier comradery between the boy and his Pokemon-seeing them achieve victory together, and be happy together. "I will admit, Soldier-I am deeply impressed by your heart to take care of the Pokemon! A true attestment to the good trainer-who never leaves his Pokemon behind to take the hit!"

"I'm glad to hear a laudatory remark from you, sir!" With that, Lee did a impromptu salute to the Gym Leader he beat-who saluted back in an official soldier salute..

"Take the badge, and this TM, soldier-You've earned it...Lee!"

Lee Obtained the Thunder Badge! Obtained TM24 Thunderbolt!

"Much obliged, sir!"

With Hydro in his arms, Lee turned around and headed for the exit, seeing a shocked Gray walk into the gym in front of Lee.

"How did you win without a Ground-type pokemon!?" The rival trainer seemed astonished, at Lee's performance with his Pokemon.

"Hey, I don't show you fakes." Lee only replied with a grin at that question. "This should be easy for you with your Ground-type, no?"

"Come in here, Boy!" Lt. Surge hollered out to Gray. "I'll show you how a real soldier fights against ground-type monsters! Let's see if you're tough as your friend."

"Coming!...Uh, sir!" Gray awkwardly called out before turning to Lee. "Come on, Lee, don't bring that up like I'm a jerkass, I'm just trying to use some good type differences."

"Yeah, and I'm off...Noob." Having learned about the military spirit and having shown a in-your-face moment to his friend, Lee walked off to the Pokemon Center, leaving a shocked(and humiliated) Gray behind...

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Before I begin, I want to bring attention to the em dashes and hypens again. The reason I keep bringing that up is because it'll make your writing confusing on occassion. For instance:

From what he read, he was never the same after he came back from the military-it had hardened him into a battle-ready Fighter pilot.

The hypen between "military" and "it" is wrong because they're not two words joining together. Instead you would use the em dash:

From what he read, he was never the same after he came back from the military—it had hardened him into a battle-ready Fighter pilot.

"Battle-ready" is right though because you're joining two words together in similar fashion like "pick-me-up" and "short-term".

Here's one link on em dashes. If it's your keyboard unable to make em dashes, there are keyboard shortcuts you can use. Hope this helps!

As for this chapter, I think this is your best written chapter in a while. A bit amused at Lt. Surge's solider persona there and him screaming to Grey that he'll show him how he deals with ground types haha. I wonder if Grey knows Electric types aren't affective against Grass types considering Lee has Eggshell.

Years
Chapter 15: Buried in Time

Vermillion City

Leaning back on the bleachers, Lee watched with crackers stuffed in his mouth as Gray shook the entire gym with Duggy using Magnitude. It was nice and all, but he couldn't help but feel bored with the Sandshrew one-shotting the electric types while they weren't even able to fight back. Good for Gray, though. The boy thought to himself, as Sandshrew blasted Raichu with sand, making it faint with a thud.

"Not bad!" The Lieutenant spoke to Gray, throwing him the badge. "You fight as well as your friend back there, but truth be told-type advantages are nothing new! Don't take it too personally, kid, I'd still say that's a good strategy-the oldest one in the book if I ever saw one!"

"I'll try, Mr. Surge-"

"SOLDIER! What did I say about calling me!?"

"Y-yes sir!" Gray quickly straightened out before hastily running out of the gym. Lee quickly followed along, and both friends met outside the gym.

"Well, at least you liked the battle." The brown-haired boy let out a slight sigh before looking at Lee, who grabbed his hand.

"Hey, everyone's gotta fight one way or another. I just didn't like the options I was given, I fight with typing too in normal circumstances, to be honest." The trainer smiled a bit. "Sorry I boasted back there. I got a little too proud of myself."

"...It's alright." Gray weakly let go of Lee's hand. "After all, I was the one being arrogant with Duggy in my hands."

"Right, still...sorry." That was the only thing the kid could say right now, with his childlike humbleness now over him.

Friends forgive each other. I'm glad Gray's one of them. The boy thought, staying close to his friend. With their conflicts settled, both buddies took out their maps.

"So, where to now, Gray?"

"Next gym's at Celadon City, but ah...you know, the Underground Tunnel incident. I heard you got involved in that yourself." The brown-haired boy turned to his companion.

"Heck, don't even mention it! If it wasn't for Hydro I wouldn't be here." The trainer boy clutched harder onto Hydro's Pokeball. You can't thank someone enough for saving your life, whether that be human or Pokemon.

"Fortunately, I've got Winger! Once you get to Lavender Town you can continue onto Saffron and Celadon, but after them you'll need Surf if you want to go to Cinnabar Island."

"We can worry about Surf later, I've got a viable option." Lee patted his pokeball with Hydro in it. "What are we waiting for? Let's fly! We got badges to gain and Team Rocket to stop...again."

"Agreed." Gray threw his pokeball high up in the air. "Go for it, Winger! Use Fly, get us to Lavender Town!"

"Pidgeotto!" The Pidgeotto popped out of its ball, and spread its wings wide before flapping to take off! Rising swiftly into the sky, the Bird Pokemon grabbed the two trainers with its talons, before flying into the sky.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lavender Town

Swooping low, Winger gently put the two trainers down in front of the Pokemon center, before flying onto Gray's side and taking a look at the Radio Tower. For some reason Lavender town looked desolate today, with black clouds gathering in the sky that was quickly fading out of blue.

"Well, I think I'll continue on to Celadon before I get wet." Gray said to his friend, calling back his Pidgeotto back into his ball. "You?"

"Go on ahead and wait for me." With a somber look, Lee, his sight focused on the House of Memories. "I have something to do with Mr. Fuji—I promised him."

With this weather it was slightly scary to look at the building too. What used to be the Pokemon Tower was converted to a Radio Tower some years ago, and the graves were moved to the House of Memories, even though reports of "ghost" sightings continued in the radio tower. It was time to put the restless to sleep...especially in a time of chaos like this.

------------------------------------------------------

Volunteer Pokemon House

"Ahh...well, if it isn't you and the Wartortle!" Mr. Fuji stood in front of the Volunteer House, with Cubone by his side. "You did come back!

"Thank you sir. You said we were going to visit the grave of Cubone's mother?"

"Never forgot the promise, boy." The old man started walking, and the boy followed suit. "You know what happened to this poor Cubone's mother, right?"

"Who wouldn't, Mr. Fuji?"

"You would be surprised, Lee." Mr. Fuji looked sort of surprised, although Lee couldn't make out his emotions hidden beneath the kind, benevolent smile. "Youngsters these days often forget the dark days."

Not me. Lee thought to himself. He had heard countless stories of the Cubone and his mother, who was killed by Team Rocket in their pursuit of profit. Its spirit haunted the Pokemon Tower, before being calmed down by Red. And here he was, with the offspring and its parent, Mr. Fuji, to see the mother's grave for himself. Everyone died a bit inside back then. And to think the ghosts of the past are out to kill again...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

House of Memories

"Three flowers, please. I'll pay."

Lee got three lilies-one for everyone including the little Cubone, before Mr. Fuji could say he should pay the price, As Lee walked to the Marowak's grave passing several graves and visitors, a sudden thought struck him. What would his pokemon do if he died, or vice versa? What if he died back in the cave, or in a similar accident by the evil forces that be? What would happen to Hydro, Eggshell and Kitsu? He felt a chill down his spine as he tried to forget that horrible thought. Some thoughts are better left forgotten. At least for now.

"Well, here we are."

Mr. Fuji said, arriving at Marowak's grave. The tombstone of the maternal Bone Keeper pokemon was dull and gray like those of others—the representation of death itself. Mr. Fuji took out a Pure Incense from his pocket, and lit it, making a calming scent rise up into the air. Lee got onto his knees.

"Rest comfortably, Mother Marowak."

Lee then put the flower down gently, in front of the gravestone. Rest in peace. Your child will be well. The boy closed his eyes for some time, before getting back up again with a heavy heart.

"Say, Lee." Mr. Fuji said, putting Cubone on the ground. "Why don't you help the little guy put the flower?"

"Of course, sir." Lee replied with a nod, taking Cubone gently onto his arms. The little Lonely Pokemon simply put the flower in front of the tombstone, which left the trainer feeling heartbroken; the Lonely Pokemon was still too young to know death, and it would be so painful to tell him the truth.

Getting back up with Cubone, Lee could feel sadness taking over his heart as Mr. Fuji bent down and placed the final third flower, and knelt there for a long time. The boy could not help but notice Mr. Fuji's hand moving across his face—tears. That drove Lee over the edge as he felt a gut-wrenching feeling of genuine sorrow that turned into rage: rage against the Rockets that committed such an atrocity.

"Come now."

Lee was only broken out of that trance by Mr. Fuji, who tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

"Let's let the dead rest."

"Yes sir, Mr. Fuji." Best not to overstay one's welcome in a place of peace for the dead. He thought.

As the boy turned around, he started walking to catch up with the old man and his Cubone, now walking out of the door. But he felt something—a hand touching on his shoulder. Yet when he turned around there was no one, and the trainer, in confusion, touched his shoulder, before a ghostly, female voice whispered into Lee's ear:

"Make the world safe for my child."

Snapped out of his confusion by the void, Lee looked around behind him, but there was only the Marowak's tombstone and several other ones by its side.

"...Lee? Come on, let's go."

"......"

"...What's wrong?"

"......It's nothing, Mr." The trainer barely opened his lips to utter these words before turning toward the door.

But he agreed. Whoever that voice was, she was right; this world must become a world where a Pokemon does not have to be murdered in cold blood...

Bay

Years
Friends forgive each other. I'm glad Gray's one of them. The boy thought, staying close to his friend. With their conflicts settled, both buddies took out their maps.

"So, where to now, Gray?"

"Next gym's at Celadon City, but ah...you know, the Underground Tunnel incident. I heard you got involved in that yourself." The brown-haired boy turned to his companion.

"Heck, don't even mention it! If it wasn't for Hydro I wouldn't be here." The trainer boy clutched harder onto Hydro's Pokeball. You can't thank someone enough for saving your life, whether that be human or Pokemon.

I feel this part is read weird where you described the characters as epithets (brown-haired boy, trainer boy, etc). It's fine to overuse their names.

I liked that Lee and Fuji went to put flowers next to Marowak's grave. And aw Cubone doing that too. =<

Years
Chapter 16: Against the Odds

Underground Path

Through the dark tunnel, Lee trudged on, wondering what would be awaiting him at Celadon City. In this place with no one but him, there was plenty of time to think without getting interrupted. As far as he knew the next gym was a Grass Type, and he was fortunate as he had Kitsu with him. He had completely forgotten about the gym order back when he was preparing for Lt. Surge, and he had gotten lucky. Maybe if his luck continued, he could win a TM for Ice Beam, or another Pokemon, at the Game Corner. Who knows? Celadon was a city full of opportunities, no one knew what was to become of them. Lucky, unlucky...only a very, very fine line stood between them. Going up the stairs and opening the door, he could immediately see a sign that read Route 7->Celadon City, Lee could only hope for one thing in his heart; this time he should be lucky. No one should be in danger, or get hurt. He shouldn't meet the Rocket girl and her parents again. He should be safe, and so should his pokemon...

Celadon City

Celadon City-bright lights, the Department Store, the Game Corner-a City that is packed with people that never sleep. A place where every event catches everyone's eye and goes viral. So initially, Lee wasn't surprised when he saw some people running toward somewhere, shouting something he couldn't make out, reckoning them as people who saw something new to experience. But as the trainer walked to the Game Corner, he saw a flock of cruisers blaring its sirens, heading towards the direction opposite the crowd - consistent with his own! His footsteps slowed down and turned into a mad dash the other way, as Pin Missiles struck the ground he was about to walk into!

What's going on!? Lee thought to himself as he panicked and started running away! The Pin Missiles were indiscriminately targeting everything in its range, from cars parked on the street to bystanders who had no idea what they had walked into! It was a miracle Lee was here running away, as he saw some peoples' Pokemon get blanketed by the attack-he could only hope they would be okay. The trainer quickly jumped into an apartment complex, before slouching against the wall-Lee tried to breathe slowly to calm himself down, but it was hard considering the shots from the Pin Missiles were still ringing outside.

"Hey! Lee!"

A voice called out from the other side of the hallway-a familiar voice he had heard before.

"Gray!"

"Stay there! I'll come to you!"

The friendly rival ran toward Lee, joining the boy in watching the officers hiding behind their cruisers.

"What's going on over there?" Lee asked his friend, peeking out as the officers' Growlithes popped out of their balls.

"Not too sure." Gray replied, taking a bite out of his nails in a show of anxiety. "But something dangerous is going down at the game corner, that's for sure."

"You thugs in there, you're surrounded! Surrender now!" An officer shouted through the megaphone, but the force was met with a barrage of Pin Missiles! The police returned fire with Embers from their Growlithes, and attacks barraged both sides, shattering glass and destroying some street property.

"They're in trouble alright." Lee got back into hiding, now that this was a dangerous situation to be exposed to. "But the police, I think they have this situation under control-"

"They're in trouble though, we gotta help them! Come on!"

Without a warning, Gray ran toward the officers, amidst the hail of Embers and Pin Missiles! Lee could see the projectiles miss his friend by inches, yet Gray never even flinched during all that.

"Hey! Let the professionals handle it! Don't just run in!" Lee started running after him, but he was a slightly bigger target than Gray and had closer calls. The trainer ran through the barrage but a Pin Missile grazed him in the process, cutting a bit off his right sleeve! Praying that the next shot misses his skin too, Lee dived behind an abandoned car and opened its rear left door, providing a bit more protection from the attacks coming from the Game Corner. However the distance between the vehicle and the cruisers was far too wide, and Lee was virtually trapped with only a door to protect him! He had to get closer-fortunately, amidst the firefight, Gray came out of nowhere, to his aid!

"I was okay for now, you know!" The boy shouted to Lee as he dived into the left side of the car alongside Lee, before opening the front door and pulling the handbrake lever, disabling it. "You're good! Push!"

"I can't go back home with you in ashes, you know!" Lee rebutted Gray, before heeding his advice and pushing the car with all its might along with his friend. The car inched toward the police, before they got it close enough to the force for both kids to dash behind the lead squad car!

"Sir, we want to help!" Gray said to the Police officer, who turned around shocked at what he was seeing: two 10-year old trainers willing to help with this volatile situation!?

"Get outta here, kids! This is a very dangerous-" The officer shouted before taking a closer look at Lee. "Hey...aren't you the boy that tried to stop Team Neo Rocket, back in Pewter? Lee, was it?"

"Yes sir. But...Team Neo Rocket, sir?" Lee replied, not being used to this moniker on the villainous team.

"That's the name we use for the new Team Rocket, to differentiate from the previous one." The officer explained, making sure the kids were safe from the Pin Missiles. "I could use your help, alright...is that friend of yours trustable?"

"Yes sir." The boy nodded. "In fact, Gray-my friend-he's the one who suggested that we help."

"Okay then, I guess we could use both of your help. Here's the situation..." The officer peeked out and pointed at the Game Corner building. "Those Team Neo Rocket thugs have taken over the damn building, and are demanding to return the ownership of the Game Corner back to them. We're more than ready to send in our finest, but they've got hostages-the clerk and the gamblers who were in there when this started. If you two could draw their attention so we can infiltrate the site, that would be the best act of helping out."

"We'll do our best sir. But how do we get close to the building?" Gray asked, ducking from the onslaught of Pin Missiles now smashing the cruiser's windows.

"Glad you asked that, kid. We'll lay down suppressive fire and turn their attention towards us-that should be enough to distract them away from you boys. There's a door in the back of the building, use it!" The officer then reached into his car, taking out a handheld transceiver connected to the police radio.

"Alright men, new plan! Provide covering fire, voluntary units are moving in!" He then patted the two kids' backs. "Go! Go!"

"Let's do this!" Gray shouted, and Lee nodded, and both friends started running for the backside of the building. The police officers' Growlithe squad replied to the Pin Missiles with the Puppy Pokemons' vicious Ember at the front, The Team Rocket thugs had to fall back into the building! And with the grunts busy with the enemies in front, they had no chance of seeing the two kids approaching the back door.

"You ready?" Lee held Hydro's Pokeball firmly in his left hand. "You took the risk for me earlier, I'll go in first this time and make things easier for you."

"Go for it, I got your back." Gray took out Poison Ivy's ball.

"Alright, On 3. Ready? One, two...three!"

The 10-year olds, with Lee in front, slammed open the door, as the Rockets turned around in surprise!

"Go for it Hydro! Water Pulse!"

"Protect him, Poison Ivy!"

Hydro's Water Pulse flushed some goons out, while safely whizzing by the hostages, as Poison Ivy wrapped its vines around some of their feet and smashed them into nearby boxes of prizes! As the Pin Missiles flew at them, the Wartortle shot a drizzle of Water Gun at it, deflecting them safely into a nearby wall! While the hostages they were once guarding made a run for it during the commotion, Lee and Gray, who were holding the rockets back, were in a whole heap of trouble now! As Lee threw his balls containing Kitsu and Eggshell, Gray was knocked down by a Team Rocket member holding a glass shard!

"I'll kill ya, you runt!"

"Lee, I need help here!" Gray shouted, as he was overpowered onto the ground desperately holding the glass from stabbing him!

"Don't worry, I'm coming! Hydro, fire!" Lee shouted, and at his command, Hydro fired his Water Gun into the air, which pressed the buttons on Gray's Pokeball holster! Winger, Gray's Pidgeotto, flew out of the ball and fired an airburst right on the Rockets, flinging them away like an artillery shell had crashed onto the ground! In an ironic turn of events, the Rocket goon that tried to kill Gray was thrown against the slot machine, which started spinning from the shock-netting a 7-7-7, making coins spill onto the unfortunate goon's face.

"Ha! Jackpot!" Lee laughed at the event, before helping Gray up. "Nice job, you raised your Pokemon well."

"Same to you, Lee." Gray replied, calling Winger back onto his shoulder. "I'll call the officers out there."

"The honor's all yours." Lee smiled, thinking about how he wouldn't have been the selfless person today without Gray. Like fish in water, he needed Gray-and vice versa. The boy got up and stood behind gray, with their hands raised to avoid false assumptions, and walked out as Gray delivered the good news.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kids watched as the last of the police transports drove away, with the Team "Neo" Rocket minions locked up behind them. But the police officers would remain at the scene for a few more hours, to ensure the safety of the people. Meanwhile both trainers were leaning by the side of a patrol car, contemplating about the events that led to this-especially Lee. To think his first experience in this city starts like this-perfect, just perfect. How the Rockets are thinking of doing stuff like this is just insane. They never did give up being evil, did they? They say the nature of a man is like that of a Pokemon-it cannot be changed. It is even worse for people though, because Pokemon have no bad natures. Of course, maybe the preconception that all Rockets are evil may have not helped with the former Rockets' sentiments against society, but there must have been some more healthier way of dealing with this sort of discrimination-

"Good battling you showed us there boys." The officer who briefed them earlier patted their backs, breaking apart Lee's train of thought again. "I'd hate to think what direction this could have gone without you two."

"Thank Gray especially, sir." Lee remarked, hiding his annoyed sentiment at having his peace of thought shattered. "Like I said, If it were not for him I would have stayed in hiding."

"You boys will make great people in the future." The police officer walked away with that statement, leaving the two boys to be consumed by a disturbing feeling coming from the event that they put down.

"Lee, what now?" Gray sighed. "The Rockets, they're trying to take back what they owned..."

"I know, this is big trouble." The friend replied. "A full-fledged attempt to revive Team Rocket is what we're seeing here, directly in Kanto...just like years ago, and..."

...and with that Lee was at a loss of words. The complications were way over their heads this time. The feeling of going through what the earlier generation went through was a highly startling revelation that refused to be described by words. Yet the kid felt it-the sentiment that the two of them were up against a goliath was real, and it was pressing down onto their hearts, more than what they could handle.

"...Should we step back?" Lee spoke up with a bit of self doubt. "Maybe we're embroiling ourselves in bigger trouble."

And for a few minutes, silence filled the space between the friends before Gray, with much less doubt than Lee, spoke up.

"...You know, that's pretty cowardly of you right now." The boy spoke to his friend. "You were the one who suggested that pact, two years ago!"

"......"

"Remember? When you suggested that, we find Giovanni and end the strife of Kanto once and for all, when we went on our first pokemon journey? You can't just back out of that now, Lee! I know you're not like that! This is just a bigger fish that's about to be reeled in with our small bait, and you can't just back out of this jackpot! That is a disgrace to you, me, our parents and the whole of Kanto!"

"......"

"Red wasn't afraid when he took up the challenge of fighting Team Rocket!" Gray continued. "You look up to him? Be like him!!"

"...You're....right." Lee barely managed to spit out the words. "I just had this doubt about whether we can make it."

"We're together. We'll more than make it if we can mend each other's weaknesses." Gray held his friend's hand firmly, to the point where Lee felt like his hand was in a crusher.

"Yeah...thanks Gray. You've got a strong will...you're right. I've decided-I'm not stopping until those who hurt Pokemon are buried!"

"That's the spirit! But speaking of burying, let's worry about their plans later, right now we gotta get to a Pokemon Center or our hurt Pokemon are toast."

As both kids, with newfound resolve of justice in one of them, turned around to get to a Pokemon Center, the Game Corner clerk ran over to the two kids, quickly recovered after being liberated from being a hostage.

"Hey! Kids!"

"Mr.!" Gray turned around, clearly concerned if he was okay after watching 2 kids take down a squadron of grunts. "Are you alright?"

"Alright!? I'm feeling super good! Both of you, back there, you kids saved my ass! Here, I've prepared presents for both of you." Said the clerk, as he took out two Pokeballs and walked over to Lee. "You, kid, I'll let you choose first. "Which Pokemon do you want? A Dratini, or a Porygon?"

"Lee! Can you spare me the Porygon?" Gray asked. "Please? I really want it."

"Sure, it's the least I can do for an encouraging friend like you...that and, I wanted a Dratini anyway."

Lee obtained Dratini!

"Thank you so much, you two! I'll be able to go back to my wife tonight!" The Clerk continued, before taking out two TMs. "And as a bonus present, for your travels ahead..." The clerk then walked over to Gray. "TM Psychic, or TM Ice Beam?"

"Mmm..." The brown-haired kid thought for a little while, before picking Psychic. "I do need Poison and Fighting coverage."

"Great! I needed Grass coverage for Hydro." Lee smiled, imagining what Bulbasaur would look like if frozen.

Lee obtained TM13 Ice Beam!

"Thank you, sir!" That is what the kids could only say. Nothing less, nothing more.

"Look, just take good care of them for me, alright? And put that phony Rocket leader into the ground someday!" The clerk said, before waving them goodbye. The kids were left with their newly-received Pokemon and TM.

"Hey, what are you going to name your Porygon?"

"Hmm...Still thinking." Gray replied. "What about your Dratini?"

"Me too. I'll see it in person, then decide."

"Yeah...see you at the Pokemon Center!"

"Yeah, be right there pal!"

As Gray left, Lee threw the Pokeball with the Dratini in it, before throwing the rest of his Pokeballs to release his Pokemon for an introduction. The Dratini came out of the ball in a coil, and slowly opened its eyes-Hydro and Kitsu was fascinated with the new Pokemon, but the interesting part was that, when the Dratini saw Eggshell, it started getting closer, before hugging it like a snake! The eggs screamed in panic.

"Wow, didn't know that it was female!" Lee said. "Hey! Come here little girl, let me give you a name!"

The Dratini coiled up again on Lee's lap, purring like the cute Dragon she was.

"Well, aren't you the cute Dragon-type?" Lee said. "You'll grow up to be a magnificent, graceful dragon...hey! How about the name Grace? Do you like it?"

The Dratini tilted its head trying to understand the logic behind her name, before nodding in happiness.

"Alright, little Gracie."

With that, Lee held up Grace, the Dragon Pokemon that was soon-to-be-pseudo-legendary, in the air-to welcome the new Pokemon into the world!

"Welcome to the team!"

Last edited:

Bay

Years
"Hey! Let the professionals handle it! Don't just run in!" Lee started running after him, but he was a slightly bigger target than Gray due to being a bit more fat! The trainer ran through the barrage but a Pin Missile grazed him in the process, cutting a bit off his right sleeve! Praying that the next shot misses his skin too, Lee dived behind an abandoned car and opened its rear left door, providing a bit more protection from the attacks coming from the Game Corner, however the distance between the vehicle and the cruisers was far too wide, and Lee was virtually trapped with only a door to protect him! He had to get closer-fortunately, amidst the firefight, Gray came out of nowhere, to his aid!

First thing I want to mention is the "being a bit more fat" part seems unnecessary since you mentioned "bigger target" from earlier.

Second thing is I noticed in that paragraph and throughout the rest of the chapter you used exclamation points a lot. I get that this is a more action and faster paced chapter, but overusing exclamation points can make your prose more humorous than intended and make the reader not take it seriously.

To be honest, I don't blame Lee for feeling he and Gray need to back off a bit. They're kids after all. Hopefully they'll have some help from adults and not do this on their own. And Lee was quick to have a Dratini there. Would be interesting if you have Lee having a hard time raising Dratini.

Years
Thanks for your inputs throughtout my story! I plan to keep writing Pokemon stories so your criticisms will help me out in the long run(although I am a bit busy sometimes and unable to upload for some time, quite frequently).
I do have this problem though: I plan to go to other regions too after this arc. Do you think I should keep using Lee, or should I come up with individual characters for every region? I fear Lee may become an Ash-type character in the former option, although I plan to keep his expertise gained in his adventures.

Bay

Years
Thanks for your inputs throughtout my story! I plan to keep writing Pokemon stories so your criticisms will help me out in the long run(although I am a bit busy sometimes and unable to upload for some time, quite frequently).
I do have this problem though: I plan to go to other regions too after this arc. Do you think I should keep using Lee, or should I come up with individual characters for every region? I fear Lee may become an Ash-type character in the former option, although I plan to keep his expertise gained in his adventures.

Glad my input is helping you out so far! I thought I'm becoming a bit too hard on you lately, I comment the way I am because I want to see you improve. And don't worry about being busy, I've been slow updating my own story too haha.

As for your question, to be honest that I can't say and only you can decide. If you do decide to continue to use Lee, you're right some readers might be tired of him and harder for him to develop. Him keeping his expertise is a good step, though. If you want a different character, I would go with someone a different personality than Lee. These are just my thoughts!

Years
Chapter 17: Flowers in the Wind

Celadon City

Is this what I should be doing right now? Lee asked himself, again, and again. standing at the door of the gym for 10 minutes now. His newfound resolve had dried up at the face of a challenge that stood before him. Ever since he failed to act decisively as he had hoped to, back at the Game Corner, and Gray had to take action for him...he now had something he had never felt before he went on this Pokemon adventure: doubt. The feeling that a greater force was at work, threatening everyone including him, and that he was up against that power was something that was heavily disheartening. And that pervasive sense of doubt kept eating away at his determination, despite encouraging words from Gray. The trainer was no longer sure if hunting Giovanni would be the romantic, heroic adventure he hoped his first journey to be. People and Pokemon' lives were at stake, and that was not a risk he was willing to take. He wanted no one innocent getting hurt.
That was when Lee felt a hand on his right shoulder — and, surprised at the sudden touch, he turned around to see a girl in a kimono, who had a mystic smile on her face as if she knew what Lee was suffering from. Enclosed in his thoughts, it took a solid 5 seconds for Lee to recognize who she was; Erika, the gym leader of Celadon City.

"What brings you here today?" Erika said, in a soothing voice, the velvety kimono wrapping around Lee. "It is a rare sight to see a lone wanderer hesitating in front of the gym. Most people just walk in without doubt."

"Oh! Uh...G-Gym leader Erika." Lee sputtered out his words, feeling awkward and unsure about his current situation. "I just...It's this sort of problem I've had these days, and...well-"

"There is no need to explain." The gym leader just softly smiled, confusing the trainer even more and yet soothing him in a weird way. "I can see a blight across your face, something that plagues all of the flowers around us today. It is related with the Rockets, is it not?"

"Uhh...I, um, guess you could say so." With that, Lee could only let out a sigh. "I...it's hard to explain."

"A calm mind helps you elaborate your problems into a tangible source, for both people and Pokemon." Erika spoke softly to Lee, her words soothing the 10-year old. "Why don't you come inside? I'll give you something to clear your mind."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celadon City Gym

Flowers of all kinds of scents and color bloomed in the gym, with Grass-type Pokemon frolicking in the pretty scenery. However the scenery comprised of bright colors and the fragrant atmosphere failed to solve Lee's problems, who was sitting on the grassy ground by a blooming bush, looking down at the half-empty cup of floral tea that Erika gave him. His heart full of worries, the trainer took another sip from the mind-clearing drink again, refreshing his head as the warmth struck him. At that moment Erika came over to Lee, and sat by him with another cup of tea in her hands.

"So, have you cleared the clutter in your mind?" Erika asked.

"It sure helped. Thank you, Gym Leader." Lee replied with a far calmer voice, and took a final sip from his cup. "You see, I started this whole adventure because, I had this sort of fantasy, that...I could finish what Red started. Bring Giovanni to justice. My friend, he...thought the same thing as me. We both made it through all sorts of stuff in our adventures, saw new Team Rocket members spring up now, for some reason...but at this critical moment, he acted. I couldn't, I was...scared, for the first time in my adventure."

"Go on."

"I'm afraid of what's happening right now. All this rise of a new Team Rocket, and I'm here with my Pokemon team that even I sometimes feel it's not good enough. And the risks keep getting higher and higher and more people and Pokemon get hurt. I'm afraid to act, because I'm afraid of the possibility that I might...fail. There's so much at risk."

A moment of silence enveloped the field of flowers, and only the calls of Pokemon could be heard in the gym for that moment.

"...Lee, you should not be afraid." Erika finally spoke up, breaking the silence. "I know you have just started your adventure, but I have heard through the league that, a trainer powered through 3 badges without trouble - that trainer was you. And the people you've saved-they'll forever be grateful to you, Lee. As far as I can see, you have more than enough power and resolve. Your inaction is what is stopping you."

"But what if people get hurt? Because of my actions?" Lee got up from the grass patch he was sitting on, his frustration and worry further elevated by the slightly unclear answer.

"Not doing anything will get more people hurt. Violence always festers in the path of least resistance." Erika replied, getting up much more gently from her seat. "But these words, I see, are not enough to console you, even when given by someone close like your friend. You will have to see your strength - your potential when you choose to act - for yourself, and choose to fill your heart with hope instead of doubt."

With that, Erika turned around, and walked away from Lee, making some distance between them, before she softly, turned around with a Pokeball in hand.

"Lee...I challenge you to a Pokemon battle."

"...Gym Leader Erika..." Lee, intially taken aback at the sudden challenge, clenched his teeth and took out his Pokeball. He was not gonna benefit from acting like a wimp anymore. Erika and Gray was right-he had to be brave. He had to try. For Cubone's mother. For Red.

"...I accept your challenge."

Gym Leader Erika wants to battle!

"I choose you, Victreebel."

"Go for it, Kitsu!"

The Pokeballs criss-crossed across the battling field, as both Lee's Vulpix and Erika's Victreebel both turned around to face each other, starting out calm in a battle that was about to heat up.

"Victreebel, Acid."

"Kitsu, Ember!"

The Flycatcher Pokemon closed its hole, then spewed out a purple liquid that drenched the Fox Pokemon! This severely weakened Kitsu's defense, slightly melting away her protective fur. But nevertheless, she simply shook it off before letting out a wave of flames from her mouth! The super-effective type attack made Victreebel cry out its name in pain.

"Hold on, Victreebel. Poison Powder!"

"Kitsu, use Ember again! Dodge it if you can!"

The Victreebel, again, spouted out a burst of poisonous powder from its mouth! The wide spread of the powder meant that it would hit Kitsu inevitably wherever she was, but it takes some time for poison to spread into the body-and Kitsu was still full of health! And in that time, Kitsu torched the Victreebel again, leaving the Pokemon with a nasty burn! But the attack did enough damage, making the Victreebel fall to the ground unconscious. Still, Lee bared his teeth at the result: Kitsu was poisoned, and he knew that one wrong move could cost him his chance of effective attacks since he had Grass-Psychic and Water in the roster, which could prove slightly weak against the Grass-type enemies. So he decided to keep going with Kitsu, by healing her poison.

"I hope you are seeing this, Lee...you are powerful!" Erika, in the heat of battle, became ever more determined. "I'm giving it all, and I'm hoping the same from you! Go, Tangela!"

"Kitsu, c'mere! I got something for you!"

The Tangela, a curled-up Grass-type pokemon, viciously showed its tentacles in an attempt to intimidate! Meanwhile, Kitsu ran back to Lee, who sprayed her with an Antidote! Lee would use the potion in the next turn, hoping that Kitsu can hold on with her current HP.

"Get them!"

"Vul! Vul-pix!" Kitsu growled, before taking a battle position! Its body trembled, knowing its low health and a poisonous close call.

"Tangela, Bind!"

At Erika's orders, the Vine Pokemon grasped the Vulpix! Squeezing her, it kept giving pain to Kitsu until it could take no more, with the drained HP.

"Kitsu! No!" Concerned at the knockout of his Pokemon, Lee quickly used his ball before the Tangela could further do anything to her! "Return!"

Not now! Lee thought to himself. There was no way out of this one. A quick Pokedex check confirmed his worst fears; the Pokemon was completely Grass-type only unlike other Grass-type Kanto pokemon, meaning that there was no way of taking it down effectively and quickly before it did any more damage. Unless...

"You're up! Hydro!" With great apprehension, Lee threw the ball containing his Wartortle, and the Turtle Pokemon rolled onto the ground, its bushy tail and ears shaking as it landed on its feet. He would take double damage if the Tangela attacked, but he had a trick up his sleeve-thanks to the nice Game Corner guy he helped rescue!

"Tangela, Constrict!"

"Hydro! Ice Beam!"

Hydro, just as the Tangela was about to use its vines to wrap the turtle, fired a beam of ice against the Pokemon! The Tangela completely froze in place, giving time for the Wartortle to back off!

"Tangela! Tan-" The pokemon could only cry as Hydro bent its knees, and jumped!

"Hydro! Tackle!" Lee was not counting on the attack to freeze the Pokemon solid, but the gambit worked and now he had this under control. Hydro smashed into the frozen Tangela, making it fall backwards! The ice shattered, leaving an unconscious Tangela on the ground.

"You're doing great. But you're not giving your full power!" Despite losing her Pokemon, Erika was enthralled watching the child battling her finally be free of his concerns and become someone who can battle, without fear or doubt of his abilities... "I would love to see more, of what you can do. Return, Tangela!"

"Will do, Gym Leader Erika!" Lee nodded, with a confident look on his face. "Come back, Hydro!"

Both trainers called back their wounded Pokemon and threw out their last Pokemon! Lee's Exeggcute and Erika's Vileplume flew into the arena, and faced each other in a final showdown!

"Eggshell, Confusion!"

"Vileplume, Stun Spore!"

As Eggshell's psychic energy hit Vileplume at full power, it released toxic powder that reached Eggshell! Its faces were visibly pained, struggling to move as a zappy feeling took over their every move.

"Vileplume, Petal Dance!"

"Eggshell! Come on!" Lee crossed his fingers-although Paralysis drops Eggshell's speed and has a chance to make Eggshell unable to do anything, he still had a chance. One more Confusion-just one more! Yet this turn, Eggshell's paralysis took effect, leaving it unable to do anything. The Petal Dance ripped through the Exeggcutes, separating the eggs and causing massive damage despite the effectiveness being halved due to the typing effectiveness!

"Petal Dance never stops-until the Pokemon runs out of energy." Erika explained without resorting to shouting, despite all the chaos surrounding her. "A state of confusion will eventually kick in, but until then the attack continues."

"Eggshell, just hold on!" Knowing that the rest of the team would not be able to defend against the Vileplume if Eggshell were to go down, Lee desperately gave out his commands. "Try to use Confusion!"

One of the eggs, the broken one in the back, acted up trying to defeat the paralysis, crying in a high-pitched voice, as pink waves of Psychic energy gathered around it-the Confusion! Through a psychic power the Eggs, separated by the ensuing Petal Dance, joined together and fired off a Confusion attack, which hit the Vileplume at the last moment of the Petal Dance! Both Pokemon closed their eyes and fell to the ground, having knocked each other out in their attacks. Another moment of silence came between the two trainers, who, both silently called back their Pokemon to their balls.

"...I concede defeat. But it is my duty to be a ladder to those who wish to climb up." Erika softly smiled, having calmed down with the battle's end. "Here's hoping that you realized the full extent of what you can do, if you are courageous enough to act."

"You're right...I started this whole adventure because I wanted to act." Lee could finally speak with conviction, as he had now seen his power for himself. "My Pokemon want to act. Giving up would disappoint them, and myself-because we both didn't do our best. I'll keep that in mind-Thank you, Gym Leader Erika."

"No, thank your Pokemon. It is them who represent your will." In light steps, Erika approached her challenger, and put her hands on those of Lee's-before letting go, leaving a badge in his palms. "Take this as a memoir for your lessons-so you may cherish and never forget your potential."

Lee got the Rainbow Badge from Erika!

"And please...take this too, for your Grass-type Exeggcute. It will further help him with his potential."

Obtained TM21 Mega Drain!

Obtained Leaf Stone!

"The Leaf Stone will make your Exeggcute evolve...please use it when your heart is ready."

"Thank you."

His path from now on was clear. To stop at nothing for justice, to fulfill his dream of catching Giovanni. The boy closed his eyes, and bowed down as a honorable "thank you" to Erika.

Last edited:
Back