• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Pokemon: Lee's Kanto Arc

Bay

Years
I do like your characterization of Erika in this chapter, having her talk with Lee over his worries with Team Rocket. The battle itself is paced fine, but I did notice you overusing exclamation points again that makes some actions more dramatic than necessary. There was also one reference to Kitsu's HP being sapped out which sounds a bit too mechanical.

At Erika's orders, the Vine Pokemon grasped the Vulpix! Squeezing her, it managed to completely wring out whatever HP Kitsu had left!

Instead of "wring out whatever HP Kitsu had left", maybe describe how Kitsu's starts getting tired and running out of energy there.

Years
I do like your characterization of Erika in this chapter, having her talk with Lee over his worries with Team Rocket. The battle itself is paced fine, but I did notice you overusing exclamation points again that makes some actions more dramatic than necessary. There was also one reference to Kitsu's HP being sapped out which sounds a bit too mechanical.

Instead of "wring out whatever HP Kitsu had left", maybe describe how Kitsu's starts getting tired and running out of energy there.

I'm not sure how I can stop using exclamations so much. They all seem...needed. Could you give me tips on them?

Bay

Years
I'm not sure how I can stop using exclamations so much. They all seem...needed. Could you give me tips on them?

I would read your work aloud and pay close attention to how the sentences with the exclamation points sound. If it sounds too dramatic to you, then you should replace the exclamation mark with the period. I can see you try to have it similar to the games's writing style, but in prose form it's silly. I would maybe read a book with lots of action and note how the writing didn't need the exclamation marks. Hopefully this helps!

Years
Chapter 18: The Reserves of the Day

Celadon City

Sitting on a bench, two boys, none other than Lee and Gray, put down their drinks for a moment and watched as the lights from all the advertisements, buildings, and cars brighten the night sky in a dark shade of rainbow.

"So you're telling me, that Erika taught you a lesson through the battle?" Gray asked his friend, who was sitting next to him.

"Yep. She made me realize my potential in that way. A practical application of her battle skills." Lee replied, taking a sip from his can of Lemonade. "I don't wanna brag, but I just saw what me and my Pokemon could do. I don't feel scared anymore, instead, I feel...confident."

"Well, I'm glad you're back to your old self. That's the Lee I'm friends with." Gray talked about it happily, before getting up from the seat. "Now it's my turn to challenge Erika, I guess. I'm gonna go shop at the mall before I go challenge the gym, then after that, I'll hit the bunk. Wanna come with me?"

"Sure, I need more supplies. I also need some Super Potions and Full Heals too." Lee couldn't agree more with his proposition. It was that time to restock on supplies again-he was running out of food, for both himself and his Pokemon, as he continued his journey and spent the clams. His backpack also had a slight zipper issue which almost tore a part of his sleeping bag a few days ago, and his clothes needed washing, having been dirtied from the rough times the wearer went through(and at this point Lee was amazed at how all trainers from Kanto to Unova went through their adventures with just one set of clothes). To all the trainers who needed things, the Poke Mart always gave answers to their problems, but Lee knew that, since they would now be visiting a super-store with much more in stock, in both quantity and diversity, they would get more than just answers - now they would get extras.

"Just try not to overspend, okay Lee?" Gray laughed at his own joke, having seen how Lee spent every cent for traveling supplies.

"Yeah yeah, I'll try not to buy too much." In contrast, the other trainer shook his head-he just cared for his pokemon, why laugh at it? "Lead the way, Gray."

"With pleasure. On me."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celadon Department Store

Inside the Department Store, an endless line of products stretched out in front of the two boys, as busy shoppers went back and forth buying things they needed from various shops also set up in the building. A stream of advertisements flooded the screens in the tv store, while details about today's sales flowed out on the speakerphone. In fact, there was so much to see to the childrens' eyes, that they could not focus on one thing.

"Alright, which section first?" Lee asked Gray excitedly, eager to see what different stuff the mall could offer.

"Hmm, I think we should designate our roles of buying stuff, since our cash is limited." Gray tapped his foot against the ground, thinking about how to avoid a potential economic crash that could put both trainers out of commission. "How much do you have?"

A quick check of their respective wallets commenced for both kids.

"About 100,000 Pokedollars. Spent a lot on potions and Revives to use on the road." Lee gave out his reply before slightly grimacing at his financial situation. Maybe it was a bit early to get enthusiastic about shopping. At least he was better than those he had beat on the road-those who had to pay. "You?"

"I went frugal on supplies, that leaves me 150,000 Pokedollars." Gray said, putting the wallet back in his bag. "Like I said, we should designate our roles-I have the fatter wallet, so I'll pay for the food and any repairs we need. Can you get the necessary supplies? Pokeballs, potions, Revives, stuff like that."

"You're the wiser spender here. While you're at it, could you get my bag fixed? Zippers keep jamming." The trainer nodded at his friend's plan, and took his Pokeballs and wallet out of his rucksack before giving it to Gray. "How about we meet at the laundromat on the 5th floor, when we're done?"

"That's a great idea. See you in about an hour."

Gray gave Lee a thumbs up before walking into the crowd, and off to the food section on the lower floors to buy the MREs he and his friend needed. Lee, after giving another thumbs up as a reply, made his way to the escalator to get to the second floor, where the Trainers' Market was located. It's funny how things had changed-years ago, when he was young and Red had just solved the Rocket problem, he and his parents would come here to shop. Back then there were only stairs, and there were fewer people and fewer sections. Now, however, the department store had grown into the biggest shop in the Kanto region, directly competing with that of Veilstone in Sinnoh. Lee could think of a reason for that-danger past, god forgotten. There was nothing to worry about not being able to spend money for your Pokemon again now that those who would make that unavailable were gone. Maybe that forgetfulness caused the ruckus about Team Rocket's return? Lee could only wonder.

2F: Trainers' Market

Lee stood there for several minutes looking at a "Buy 10 Pokeballs, get a Premier ball" deal, after commanding his Pokemon to look around for things they wanted. Was 2000 Pokedollars worth a commemorative ball? To get answers to his question the boy looked at his shopping basket again; so far, a bunch of potions, 10 Ultra Balls, 20 pieces of Revive, 30 cases of Super Potions on sale, and 20 Great Balls. Lee knew full well from experience that even supplies this much could all be sent in several days, even by one person. Yet the total estimated price of all these products meant that almost all of his hard-earned cash would go flying out the window for something he would halve with his friend. He reluctantly put down the Pokeballs. Maybe next time. But the thought about his finances was broken up when Grace started pulling at Lee's pant sleeve.

"Dratiini." The Dragon Pokemon softly let out its cry, a Poke Toy curled up in its grasp.

"Hold on, Gracie," Lee muttered, trying not to let his anger about his money spending be transmitted to his Pokemon. "Let the others choose too."

"Wartortle! Wartort-"

"VUL-PIX!"

The loud cries, clearly the sounds of his pokemon, not only turned Lee's but everyone else's heads around! The Pokemons' trainer saw that Hydro and Kitsu were fighting over what they had picked was better! Hydro had chosen a Fancy Blue Bow while Kitsu had chosen a Fire Stone. It was a Pokemon fight waiting to happen, and Lee couldn't have that.

"You two, quit it! Go back to your balls and think about what you two have done!" Lee quickly took out two of his Pokeballs, before pressing the buttons respectively. "Sorry, everyone...sorry..."

Now I know what mom and dad felt when I threw a tantrum at the mall. Lee thought to himself as he quickly picked up the items that were held by the Pokemon. It took some doubt, but he decided to buy whatever his Pokemon wanted if it means stopping more fights. Even if it does mean now more than 80% of his allowance would be decimated, he knew individual happiness was an important thing that could affect battles. Slightly late to the party, Eggshell soon arrived, the eggs all carrying a TM for Reflect. At least one of his Pokemon picked something useful.

"Great job, Eggshell." Lee petted his Exeggcute, but Grace was clearly not happy about this preferential treatment. As soon as Lee put the TM in the basket, the Dratini weakly performed a Slam on the Egg Pokemon. Eggshell was not amused, soon retaliating with a Hypnosis that made Grace flop to the ground.

"...Scratch that." The trainer sighed as he just put all his Pokemon back in his ball. Raising Pokemon is like taking care of kids that don't listen to you, he thought again, reminding himself not to get angry with them, for they are monsters from the wild that were tamed into humans' pockets. But at least with the troubles behind him, now he was finished shopping, so...that's that. All in all, Lee did expect the life of a nomad to be hard. He just didn't expect it to be this hard.

5F Accessories/Miscellaneous

The Green t-shirt, white longsleeved shirt, blue jeans, and black-and-white shoes tumbled in the dryer as Gray sat on a nearby seat and waited for his friend to arrive while dressed in a backup t-shirt and gym pants. And soon enough, out of a nearby elevator, Lee soon appeared with his shopping basket full of toys and Pokemon stuff.

"Hey, you're done shopping?" Gray turned his head toward Lee. "I paid for your spot. It's right next to mine, to the right."

"Thanks. Let's split the stuff we bought before we get going on our own ways." Lee sat down and, with the help of his Pokemon, started separating the products that came in bunches, in equal halfsies for Gray. Of course, the Premier Ball went to Gray, for Lee found no use for a Pokeball painted white. But other than that, all Pokemon-related supplies were now fairly distributed.

"This is a lot! And you only had 100,000 Pokedollars?" Gray asked Lee, while putting the supplies in his bag carefully for maximum capacity after giving Lee's rucksack to its owner.

"Yep. I have only three grand left now." Lee replied with a look of worry on his face, as he received his bag from Gray and tested if the zippers had been fixed properly, before packing his share of the medical supplies. "I'm gonna undress and switch to my backups real quick. While I do that, you can give me the foodstuffs you bought."

"Alright, prepare to be amazed then."

The joking reply was left in the air as Lee walked over to a nearby dressing room, before taking off the sweaty, dirt-ridden clothes and quickly switching to loose shorts and a t-shirt. As he threw his clothes inside the washer and hit the button, Gray revealed the foodstuffs he had bought for himself and Lee; a pack of bottled Fresh Water, a six-pack of Lemonade, 50 bags of MRE meals with various flavors, two big bags of Pokemon food that fit into both trainers' bags, and some light snacks such as crackers, candy, and hardtacks.

"You did great with 150,000 clams, I have to admit that." Lee marveled at Gray's efforts, before taking a look at the MRE bags to choose a flavor he wanted. Mac-and-cheese, Slowpoketail stew, Galarian tikka masala, etc...to think he nailed variety too with a limited budget.

"At a price though. I'm down to one-fifteenth of my original wealth. Turns out inflation kicked in while we were on the road." That's when the rosy tint shattered for Lee as the economics of the world hit both kids hard. "I'll beat more roadside trainers for cash, but it's gonna take much more time getting back what I originally had."

"I think that applies for all of us." Lee spoke out bitterly, letting out a sigh at the end. "Oh well, you gain a few, you lose a few. That's how money works."

"At least I'll get to see the face of Erika when I buff my Pokemon with your medical supplies. All thanks to you, Lee." Gray got up from his seat slightly smiling and took out his clothes from the dryer. "I'm gonna get changed and go battle the gym. The motel key to my room is in your bag, so do whatever you'd want to do with that-just open the door for me when I come back."

"And I'll get to fill my stomach for another day thanks to you. Good luck, Gray."

And to think another day ended just like that. Both trainers that day felt like they were in the same predicament as their clothing-tossed around by the outside forces in every aspect.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Back then there were only stairs, and there were fewer people and fewer sections. Now, however, the department store had grown into the biggest shop in the Kanto region, directly competing with that of Veilstone in Sinnoh. Lee could think of a reason for that-danger past, god forgotten. There was nothing to worry about not being able to spend money for your Pokemon again now that those who would make that unavailable were gone.

I like the reference of the Celadon City store changing. The "danger past, god forgotten" sounds awkward though. Did you mean, "danger past long forgotten" instead?

The loud cries, clearly the sounds of his pokemon, not only turned Lee's but everyone else's heads around! The Pokemons' trainer saw that Hydro and Kitsu were fighting over what they had picked was better! Hydro had chosen a Fancy Blue Bow while Kitsu had chosen a Fire Stone. It was a Pokemon fight waiting to happen, and Lee couldn't have that.

Besides this part, I noticed you used exclamation marks way less this time, so keep up with that. This is a cute scene nonetheless.

The Green t-shirt, white longsleeved shirt, blue jeans, and black-and-white shoes tumbled in the dryer as Gray sat on a nearby seat and waited for his friend to arrive while dressed in a backup t-shirt and gym pants.

Don't think you need to describe all of the clothes like that. You can just say something like "After putting his clothes in the dryer, Gray sat on a nearby seat (etc)."

Not too much happened in this chapter, so I don't have too much to comment on this time. I will say though that yes it's more important than ever to save money for supplies there heh.

Years
Chapter 19: Corporate Siege, Part 1

"...ennekin News would like to stress that intervening in a police case is dangerous and should not be practiced by unprepared professionals. Meanwhile, as the situation worsens, the League has announced that recent cases will now be investigated by the International Police as a response to this Team Rocket crisis that has..."

That was what Lee heard when he woke up sprawled on his bed in the motel room in his underwear. Yesterday's memory was a haze-he didn't even remember how he opened the door for Gray. All he remembered was that he fell asleep on the couch with Tyranitar: King of the Pokemon on the air. But the sun was shining down on him and there was no more time for sloth, no more going back to sleep in the morning. The trainer got himself off the couch and found his clothing messily piled next to his backpack, and put on his jeans again after checking for Gray. The pants bit down on his waist, sending a slight jolt of pain as he readjusted to being hugged by the tightness. And just when he was thinking about that, he heard movement from the other bed, where Gray woke up in his white shirt and boxer pants, his brown hair messed up.

"Hey, Good morning to you," Lee spoke first, fighting the drowsiness that threatened to overcome him.

"Hey Lee," Gray spoke to his friend, scratching his head as he struggled to completely open his eyes. "Morning. Could you tell me the time?"

"Sure, just let me check my phone." Detaching his phone from a motel-provided charger, Lee took a look at the device's screen. "10:00 in the morning, still early if you ask me. By the way, did you win at the gym yesterday night?"

"Lee, Gyms are made to be broken. Of course I passed that challenge, or my name isn't Gray Cale." Gray replied, in a slightly drowsy bragging tone that still tried to sound nice. "Wake up our Pokemon, I'm feeling good enough to make breakfast. Do you mind if I use a few bags of your MREs?"

"Suit yourself. As long as you don't muck up the cooking."

The boys both got out of bed, ready to start another day of their adventure. It had been a long journey and more troubles probably awaited them, but there was no reason to stop now. They knew that they would be surrendering should they stop their mission and adventure. As Gray left for the kitchen, Lee looked down at his phone while pressing all of the Pokeballs' buttons, one by one. It had been some time since he had received or made a call from/to his mother...she was probably worried sick by now. Maybe I should give her a ring, the boy thought, plopping back on his bed, before Grace, and all his other Pokemon, jumped onto him for petting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hello?"

"Mom? It's me, Lee."

"Oh? Is there anything wrong, sweetie? You sound...fatigued."

"...Don't worry, nothing's wrong, mom. It's just that all the battling has made me tired. I've got my fourth Gym Badge and I'm going to head to Fuschia City, and...I thought I'd call you in the meantime. It's been a while."

"You're heading to Fuchsia City?"

"Yeah, the fifth Pokemon gym's there."

"...You must be at Celadon now, then. Are you?"

"I am, mom. Why?"

"You're near Saffron, right? Why don't you stop by Silph Co. and visit your dad, before you head for Fuchsia?"

"...I just thought of that, too, mom. I'll do that for sure. I'll call back later after I meet dad. Love you!"

"Be safe, honey!"

Lee, outside the motel, put his phone back in his bag and sighed. To think he had completely forgotten about his dad. Yet for the past few weeks of his adventure dad had never called him. The last time he called was when he was injured from the cave incident, and Mr. Fuji took that call instead of him. But in a way, Lee understood him-working at the Silph Corporation really took much of your time. Although he made big salaries and rose to the rank of General Director of the Silph IT Division, he barely came home when Lee was awake and rarely answered his family's messages or calls. Lee knew his dad loved his family. He was probably worried about his son too, although he was probably so buried in work that he had no time to care. So the option of visiting his dad in person...that'd be a nice surprise for him. When the mountain can't move to Arceus, Arceus must move to the mountain, bearing holy gifts at that too. Now, Lee thought, Gray had left before him for Fuchsia, and morning was quickly transitioning into afternoon. If he wanted to spend time with his father before heading immediately to catch up with Gray, then lunchtime would be his best bet-in fact, as far as he knew, it was his only bet, in that his dad had to return to work immediately after the meal break. He had to hurry.

Route 7-Saffron City

Nearing the entrance of the city, Lee remembered the rumors told by past adventurers, that the gate guards around this part were notorious for demanding something to drink every time someone passed. Lucky for him it had been years now-things could have been set right in the following years. And Lee's assumptions proved correct as by the gate, the guards, stationed on the other side separated by a counter, welcomed Lee while drinking their tea.

"Welcome to Saffron City, good sir!" One of the guards waved before getting up from his seat in sudden realization. "Hey, you're that kid who battled the new Team Rocket! Lee, was it?"

"Yes sir." Lee cleared his throat, feeling a curse about not recognizing Gray trying to claw its way out of his heart and out of his mouth. "My friend helped me a lot though, not gonna lie. If it wasn't for him I would not be here."

"Yeah, that friend of yours was a badass too!" The second guard spoke up. "Gray, was it? He hasn't passed through here yet if you are looking for him."

"I know, sir. He'll be passing later though, could you welcome him too when he gets here?"

"Of course, Lee, no worries about that."

You and your quick thoughts, Lee. The trainer thought to himself, barely having steered away from an interpersonal disaster. But despite his success at defusing relations, he shook his head in regret; he should have said Gray was his teammate, not someone who helped. Still, it was good that they knew the whole story, that Gray had his friend's back at the time.

"Thank you all. Have a nice day!" Lee waved at the guards before heading into the city, his hair bristling from the slight wind blowing at the other end of the gate.

Saffron City

Entering the city, the trainer saw why the city was named Saffron: everywhere he looked, the place was a bright shade of yellow. The kid had nothing bad to say-after all, he liked the yellow theme that was going on. It went along nicely and provided a bright feel to the otherwise slightly boring city, after all. It was still the busiest city in Kanto, and it had only gotten busier ever since it opened the new magnetic train station and the Fighting type "gym" reprised itself as an actual dojo that taught martial arts. Every change made to this place basically melded itself into the busy lifestyle of the people here, and the changes only added so much hecticness that it seemed like nothing had changed at all-it gets hard to notice things when every day is the same busy life, change or not.

But enough of sightseeing-lunchtime was almost ending and if he didn't have his lunch with his father now, there might not be another chance at even trying that again until tomorrow afternoon, 24 hours that he could not afford with Team Rocket trying to make Kanto the hellhole it once was and Gray trying to one-up him. If there was one thing Lee wanted to do, it was spending some quality father-son time before he got on the road again, because he would be unable to see him and mom until the end of the adventure. Making a U-Turn toward the Silph Co. building, Lee pressed all the buttons on his Pokeballs, letting Hydro, Kitsu, Eggshell and Grace out to explore Saffron and Silph Co. He would be returning, sure, but that would be a long time from now.

------------------------------------------------------------

Silph Co.

In just several years after Team Rocket went down, the Silph Corporation had become one of the largest conglomerates in the world, boasting a wide line of products from something as simple as Pokeballs to smartphones and vehicles. And true to its reputation, its headquarters was now expanded into a skyscraper that looked like a building out of an SF movie. As Lee and his Pokemon, the latter 4 excited with the new scenery, got closer to Silph Corporation's HQ, he was disturbed at the level of security at the gates-heavily armored guards, clad in Pokemon bite-proof armor, surrounded the place with Arcanines stationed next to every guard. The boy couldn't blame them-after all, Team Rocket did a number on this place back in Red's day, in which a Master Ball was almost stolen. But the staff looked scary, and Lee couldn't help but think that this show of force was bad for PR. Especially when he met the security for himself at the entrance.

"Hey, kid! Only Silph staff and relatives of said staff are allowed in the building. Don't loiter around in front of the building, get out." A security guard spoke to the boy, clearly annoyed at having to deal with someone trying to enter.

"Wartortle!" Hydro was not happy at his trainer being treated like a bum, and so was every other Pokemon of his.

"It's okay guys, I got this..." Despite having been insulted by unwelcome security, Lee suppressed his anger and took a few deep breaths, before walking up to the rude guard. "I'm here to see my dad. He works here."

"Oh really? What's your dad's name?"

"Uhh...Damien Hahn, head of the IT division."

"And what would your name be, kid?"

"Lee Hahn, I'm his son, a Pokemon Trainer." Lee barely suppressed his rage as he handed his Trainer ID to the guard he was talking to, who took a close look at it for some time.

"I hope you're telling the truth, runt." The guard replied, as security officers converged on Lee, one taking his bag and checking for dangerous stuff while another security guard patted Lee on the vest and legs, to make sure there was nothing hidden under his clothes, and the other one checked on his pokemon, who were clearly annoyed at the procedure. The guard that spoke to Lee held up a walkie talkie, and talked into the device. "We have a visitor, claims he's the son of an executive, by the name of Damien Hahn at IT. Please confirm status, over."

Lee closed his eyes in frustration, not liking this whole suspicion around him. Were these guards gonna really frisk a 10-year old for risks of terrorism? He knew they were being careful, but this didn't make any sense at all. Like, what harm could a 10-year old kid do to them? But then, in the deepest part of his mind, he remembered Belle-who was 10 years old according to her Trainer Card. Still, there had to be a lot more innocent teens like himself, and this just seemed wrong.

"Clear, he's got nothing." A security officer finished frisking.

"Clear, nothing dangerous in his bag too." The other officer gave Lee his bag back, albeit with the order of supplies now messed up from the re-packaging. The boy could not help but feel an MRE package's sharp corner jab his backside.

"Standby, awaiting permission." The rude guard, it turns out, seemed to be the whole leader of the security group, or so Lee thought. It was no surprise that a misanthrope security chief like that was picked, as the guy would repel anyone coming into the company, which would result in less annoying matters for the company. Some words he couldn't make out from the walkie talkie's buzz responded to the guard's earlier reports. "Roger that, will do. Over."

"Can I go in now?" Lee asked in a clearly annoyed voice.

"Watch your language, runt." The guard gave the 10-year old the death stare, and the boy responded with a glare. "You're clear to go inside."

The security gate opened, and immediately Lee walked in, not looking back at the self-proclaimed "defenders"-more like tormentors. Inside, free from the bureaucratic frisking, the trainer felt more relaxed with all the action happening in the place; employees rushing to their duties, the flow of company news being displayed through the main electronic board on the wall close to the counter, Silph ads dominating every screen that showed everyone a new product, and intercoms barking at the workers on what to do and what not to do. Taking a full elevator that quickly filled up with more employees, Lee, crammed between a fat executive and a janitor, wondered how his father worked so well at a crowded and busy place like this, as the doors closed to take the people to their respective workstations.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Silph Co. 7F

Ding! The boy dug himself out from the crowd of the elevator before the doors could close. If the floor description in the elevator was correct, he was in the IT Department, but finding his father in the middle of all these employees was going to be like searching for a needle in a haystack. Thankfully, though, judging by the time, lunch break had started not too long ago and most people were leaving their seats to recharge. Lee knew his father-he once said that he was busy a lot of the time and often had lunch late, so as long as he can find a familiar figure not heading for lunch, Lee had a chance of finding his father.

Navigating through the cubicles, the trainer's ears were ringing with the loud sounds of the office coming all around from frustrated employees, telephones connected to fax machines, advert tests, customers coming and leaving, and many more that drowned out just about all sense of hearing. All the while, Lee, quite limberly(if he were to say so himself), squeezed through the gaps between all the employees carrying documents, boxes, products, even drinks, all things that could cause serious trouble for the people involved should he crash or disturb into one of all those people. As "Watch it!"s and "Whoa!"s ensued, Lee finally saw the person he was looking for at the other end of the office, talking to another employee.

"...and I want a full scale report on the performance test of the new drivers. Our team needs a PPT ready by the end of the month." Damien Hahn, the head of the IT division, talked to the employee, who, listened to him with utmost respect. Caught in his business, he failed to notice his son who was standing close to him now after so much trouble.

"Dad?" Lee called out softly, attracting the attention of his father. The old block finally noticed the chip, before turning to the employee again.

"...Alright, you've heard what you have to do. Get lunch, I'll join you soon and we can talk about this further."

Damien patted the employee in the back, and with that, the rookie scampered off, leaving the father and son.

"...Well, I can't believe my eyes, my son-now with his own Pokemon." The executive hugged his ten-year old son. "I was worried about you, Lee. It's so good of you to come here."

"I missed you too, dad." Lee hugged him too. "Mom said I should visit you before I go to Fuschia City. And...I'm so sorry I didn't call you, and..."

"She did? Well, she was very thoughtful." The son watched as his father took a quick look at a family photo, taken when Lee was around 7 and didn't know about Pokemon at all. "And don't worry about me, I'm always fine, although busy. What I am worried about is you; you're the one who's out on an adventure with Pokemon. I almost had a heart attack when I heard that you battled Team Rocket, and that they almost killed you."

"There are more incidents than just that, dad." Lee sighed and rubbed his head, feeling again that the part where he was struck still hurt. "They've also terrorised Gray and terrorized the Game Corner. They actually hurt other people too, dad."

"That is worse." Damien slightly frowned in concern reminiscing a bad memory from long ago, looking out a nearby window which showed the whole of Saffron City from the seventh floor. Some time passed between the father and son, both burdened by the memory of the terrible things that had happened to the people around them.

"What's wrong, dad?"

"It's nothing. Just had some bad memories...Lee, do take good care of your Pokemon.'

Lee felt genuine sadness from that statement, feeling what those who had to experience the reign of terror of Team Rocket had to go through. Although Lee knew that his father and mother went through that dark period, they never talked about it and Lee didn't ask either, for good reason. Whatever happened back then, this the reason his mom was so protective of her son. She did not want to go through the loss she had been through in her life, something that will crush even an adult's heart, and even more so a 10 year old's.

"I will, dad." Lee muttered clutching his Pokeballs, overcome by a feeling of grief. "I'll make sure the Pokemon are safe, and not only mine."

Never was a forcefully broken link between mon and trainer happy. A moment of silence existed between father and son for some time before Lee, carefully, broke the ice.

"......Dad, I was wondering...if we could have lunch together. I want to spend time with you before I head to Fuschia City."

"I'm afraid I have some business to attend to at lunch, Lee. I'm sorry." The Silph executive shook his head, but then he weakly smiled, a shadow of his guilt remaining, in a moment of sudden epiphany. "But now that you mention it...I may have some time after lunch. How about a friendly father-and-son battle then?"

"Dad, you have a Pokemon now?" Lee gasped in surprise, as he had not seen his father come home with a new Pokemon in a while. And how a busy man like him got the time to catch a Pokemon was a mystery.

"To be exact, the company gave this guy to me in recognition of my services. Would you like to take a look at him?"

With that word, Damien took out a Hyper Ball from his bag and pressed the button, and with a metallic screeching noise, a Pokemon popped out of the ball! It was shaped weirdly, with several steel orbs with eyes, all connected with magnets on its sides, with a big screw on the top that was continually turning.

"Whoa! What is that?" Without hesitation, Lee quickly took out his pokedex.

Magneton, the Magnet Pokemon. Steel/Electric type. A linked cluster formed of several Magnemite, it discharges powerful magnetic waves at high voltage. They frequently appear when sunspots flare up.

"That is so cool, dad!" Lee was intrigued by the new Pokemon, and an evolved form at that! The kid slowly approached his father's Magnet Pokemon, and softly, petted it on its left magnet.

"Magneton!" The pokemon growled in joy, shaking at the feeling of a human touch.

"He's been a great partner of mine, and he helps me get through the technical issues in our products. I'd be nowhere without him." Damien spoke to his son, patting his Magneton in the back, before, realizing something, he quickly looked at his wristwatch. "Well, look at the time! I'll be back in about an hour, Lee. There's a break room with snacks, so do help yourself while I'm gone. I'll be back for the battle between you and me."

"I'll be here, dad. Come back quick."

The words were left hanging in the air as the last of the employees, including Damien, started leaving for lunch break. Lee sighed, leaning on a desk-clearly, if someone is this busy, maybe it was a bad idea to come and visit. But he was his dad, and Lee felt guilty for practically ignoring him for the last few weeks. The trainer felt that, while this job had good conditions, the long hours of work and separation from the family was killing his father from the inside. What he needed was a vacation. A long one at that, with the family-him and his mother. Lee started wondering if his father actually loved the job despite all its flaws, or if he was forced to do it for his family. As he got back up and headed past the leaving employees to the window to take a look at the great view for himself, he could see an orange speck in the sky stood out between the blue sky and the yellow building. Squinting, the boy found the speck getting larger, and larger-until the speck was no longer a tiny speck, but a gigantic orange beast, breathing fire and flapping its wings, with a pink-haired figure riding on it; it's her!

"Oh, shoot..."

Lee froze in fear as Belle's Charizard fired its flamethrower at the building, and in the intense heat, the glass shattered, sending a burst of hot air towards the boy! He felt his body float for a second, before gravity dragged him down onto the floor again and crushed him against the ground. The glass, glistening in the air, rained down onto the whole of the office, and the boy was left on the ground, dazed by the shock. Slowly, as the dust from the debris gathered, Lee slowly got up on all fours, coughing, a continuous ringing in his ears as alarms started to blare in the building.

"LEE!"

The trainer picked up his cap and glasses, now slightly cracked on the right eye, when he recongnized the frantic voice, and he knew he had to respond; he needed to get out of this mess and find out what is going on!

"DAD!" Barely, the kid got up on his feet, trying to figure out where the call came from with an impaired dusty sight. "Dad, where are you?!"

At that moment, Lee felt an arm grab him in the back, and soon recognized the velvety feeling of the arm as his father's suit. Amidst the settling dust, Lee barely saw that he was being taken to an office, but the Charizard mercilessly fired its Flamethrower at them! The fire enveloped the entire building as Damien hastily closed the glass door, barely preventing the flames from coming into the office.

"Are you alright, Lee!?" The father quickly checked his son for injuries, finding light scratches from the glass on his neck and body and a bruise on his right arm.

"I-I'm fine dad...mostly." Lee mustered his words, still flabbergasted by what happened. "W-What's going on?"

"I'm not sure. But the alarms are going off, saying the company's being besieged by hostiles..." Damien, with shaking hands and panic evident in every action, took out a first aid kit from a nearby cabinet. "Let me see the wounds, we need to patch you up and evacuate."

"......No." With great thought, Lee managed to spit out his words, his hands in fists, as bandages were applied on his wounds by his father. "I need you to get away, dad. But as for me, I saw her."

"Her?"

"This girl I know. Someone who's in Team Rocket-keeps threatening people around me." Lee spoke to his father, seething with anger. "I know this is dangerous, but I have my own strong Pokemon. And this time, it's personal. I can't let her and the team to get away with today."

"...Lee, I know you want to fight, but this is too dangerous!" The father raised his voice, in fear of his son getting hurt.

"Dad, I have to do this!" Lee rebutted his father's claims with his will. "If they're not taken out, the entire Team Rocket will gain traction from them, they're powerful people with powerful Pokemon! And I let them get away too many times, but not this time-not with messing with you, dad!"

Only Lee's heavy breathing could be heard in the room, before Damien barely opened his mouth to speak something.

"...Alright. But we'll do it together, I can't live with sending you out onto the dangerous battlefield alone." With that, Damien pointed across the hallway at a patch of green on the gray floor. "That Charizard-it looks overpowered, but if we can drag it down to the first floor, the Security team will be able to engage it. There's a warp panel over there. We use that, we warp into the floor underneath us...but we're gonna have to be very quick, you saw what the Charizard can do."

Lee could only nod. After all, his dad was the smarter person in this room, and if he was going to act together he had to adapt to him!

"Okay." Lee said after taking a deep breath with conviction, before heading for the door and grabbing onto the handle. The father and son both got ready by the entrance, as Lee peeked through the glass to see Flame and his trainer intently looking for their archnemesis outside the building. They had to move very quickly, and they had one chance!

"Go!!"

Lee quickly opened the door as he and his father made a run for it! The Charizard spotted them, and without his trainer's orders he spouted out fire into the building, almost incinerating Lee who was right behind Damien! The trainer could see the green square ahead that was the warp panel, and both men fearlessly jumped into it, teleporting themselves to lower floors. But Flame was quick to notice what has happened and the Pokemon quickly notified his trainer. Behind the glass, Lee barely understood what Belle was saying to her Charizard, but clearly it was nothing good!

He had to hold off Flame, no matter what, before the flames would come to torch them again. In the midst of running, Lee, with his right hand, quickly pressed on the buttons on two of his Pokeballs, releasing Hydro and Grace. And with the other hand, Lee hastily unzipped his bag and took out the TM for Thunderbolt, he had received from Lt. Surge!

"Grace, come here! Good girl!" Lee yelled at the general direction of his Pokemon trying to run by him, especially toward Grace who was trying her hardest to keep up! The trainer held the TM low. "Come on, faster! Hydro, cover us!"

"Wartortle!" The Wartortle, while running at fast speed, used Water Pulse aimed at Flame, the attack which broke through the glass and toward the Flame Pokemon. However, the Fire/Flying type Pokemon effortlessly dodged the attacks in mid air!

"It's gonna take more than that!" Belle shouted at her adversary, through the broken glass.

"Come on, Grace, faster!"
Lee shouted in desperation as his father and him jumped to get into a Warp Panel-and at the same time, Grace jumped and hit the TM CD mid-air, breaking it and learning the move. The two Pokemon, their trainer, and the trainer's father spawned on the floor below, as Lee, his eyes on the Charizard catching up with them, quickly formulated a plan now with Grace who now knew Thunderbolt, and Hydro, his trusty Wartortle!

"We gotta stall her!" Lee yelled out in his full volume, catching up to Damien side-by-side, to tell him his plan. "The Charizard's too fast! It's never gonna run out of power, we have to take it down and earn some time!"

"With your Dratini and Wartortle!? You're not gonna generate enough power to take it down! Magneton, get out here!"

With Lee's nod as a sign that he understood the plan, both father and son skidded to a halt in their tracks, and Damien let out Magneton out of its ball. Belle, realizing the situation, pulled Flame to a stop too and hovered in front of the broken windows! Both sides looked at each other to make the first move before...

"Flame, Use Flamethrower!"

"Hydro, Water Pulse! Grace, you're with Magneton, fire!"

"Magneton, Thunderbolt!"

"Magneton!" Realizing the situation at its trainer's urgent voice, Magneton, with Grace shot out a bolt of electricity at Flame, fazing it with the sudden jolt. And at that moment, Hydro's Water Pulse hit the Charizard along with the electric jolt, amplifying the electric effect and making Flame spin out of control-but the wave of flames still hit the building, striking everyone inside the corridor at that time, blasting them backwards into the wall!

"GAH!" Lee was knocked back into the wall, and it felt like someone struck him hard in the back. Recovering from the impact amidst the smoke, the trainer felt a searing pain on his right shoulder-and he saw that his right shoulder of his vest had caught fire! In surprise, Lee quickly patted the clothing frantically, bringing the flames down to a smolder. He then proceeded to check under the clothing; thankfully his skin wasn't burned, but that was a close call...his dad! If the flames struck him, and his Pokemon too...

"Hydro, Grace! Dad! Magneton! Where are you!?" Lee barely got up and yelled out, not being able to see anyone in the thick smoke and debris. He had no idea of finding out what happened to them, nor could he find out about the Charizard. But through the smoke, he saw figure similarly flopped against the wall, with three Pokemon gathered around him, the shapes of the Pokemon.

"DAD!"
Lee shouted in panic and ran over to the figure, finding Damien slumped against the wall with multiple burns on his clothes. Magneton, even while badly hurt, floated around his trainer, clearly worried about him, while Hydro and Grace, also hurt and burned, returned to Lee, clearly a look of pain on their faces as they had lost HP from the attack. Luckily, the boy found his father conscious, but he still feared the possibility of wounds caused by the fire.

"Dad, are you okay? Did the Flamethrower-"

"Lee, I'm alright, what happened to the Charizard?"

"I'm not sure, dad." Lee shook his head. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I am! And thank your Wartortle for that. I did catch on fire a bit, but he spouted water just in time, before the flames could burn me." With that, Damien painfully got up, his suit now dusty. "But there's no time to talk about that. We still need to get down to the first floor before that Charizard comes back!"

Both father and son looked at each other, before running into another panel, for they knew what was happening in the bigger picture and that they had to go down there...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silph Co. 1F

The green square spawned the two men on the first floor, but not before a goon was thrown in their direction. The first floor was a warzone, as Pokemon and human alike struck each other with its powers! Security guards battled for control against the invading Team Rocket goons, actually beating them with the batons they had. Madness and chaos reigned as Lee ran ahead of his father, through a chaotic hallway and into the wide lobby. But in all that commotion, Lee saw the pink hair among the crowd, and instinctively started running in that direction much to the confusion of his dad, who had no idea where his son was running to. And he soon saw it, as among the crowd, Lee stood facing a man, a woman, and the girl he was talking about, now having wounds on her left arm and legs, with some blood on her lips and nose.

"You again! And who is that old man, your guardian?" Clyde remarked smugly, crossing his arms in front of Lee whose anger was evident in his face.

"Hey! He's not old, he's my father! I thought you Rockets had the common sense of not messing with someone's parents!" The 10-year old rebutted back quite bravely at the insult, as his father joined him to see what was going on.

"Lee! Who are they!?" Damien looked at Lee, then at Bonnie, then at Clyde, before focusing his eyes on Belle.

"That's the girl. The one who keeps coming after me, with her stupid parents too!" Lee pointed directly at Belle, making her come out in front of her parents.

"You and your old man almost killed me! What did you think would happen to a person if she falls at the 7th floor in almost freefall!?" The Team Rocket girl got up close to Lee and poked him directly in the heart, making the boy take a few steps back. "And Flame is down and out, all thanks to your stupid butt showing up to mess up our plans!"

"Get your hands off him! That's my son!" The father could only take so much of Lee taking flak, which made him slap Belle's hand away! "First you attack my company, now THIS!"

"And that's my daughter, you insensitive prick!" Bonnie stood in front of Belle, irking Damien a bit. "I'll have you know that our great leader requires something that this company has, for a great purpose you'll never understand!"

"That's not gonna happen!" Lee yelled out, taking out Eggshell's ball, before giving his father a Super Potion. "When we're done, Security will be all over you and the goons!"

"Okay then, you've made your decision! You and your father will be dying today!" Clyde, with clear hostility, readied his Pokeball.

"You'll pay for what you've done to my daughter!" And Bonnie stood by him, ready to fight too. As chaos unfolded around them, the two families were embroiled in their own chaos, which was about to burst by just one, single, move...!

Last edited:
Years
Chapter 20-Corporate Siege, Part 2

"Get out there, Eggshell!"

"Go, Magneton!"

"Get out there, Arbok!"

"Take them down, Raticate!"

Two Pokemon from each side popped out of their balls, ready to fight with each other for their trainers, who went through hell and high water for them.

"Eggshell, use Confusion on Arbok!"

"Exeggcute!"

Lee ordered his Egg Pokemon to strike the Cobra Pokemon, wanting to cover for his father who was applying the Super Potion to Magneton.

"Arbok, Poison Fang!" Clyde quickly ordered his Arbok to move in for the strike, before the Psychic energy could be fired. The Pokemon hissed at his command, and lunged at Eggshell immediately! The Eggs fired the energy of Psychic energy before spreading out to avoid the attack, and in the process only one of the eggs were hit resulting in minimal damage, but the measure to avoid the attack also made the Confusion miss. However that was the least of Lee's problems, as the Poison condition started spreading through Eggshell!

"Raticate, Use Hyper Fang on that Magnemite!" Bonnie commanded its Raticate, aiming to cut down Magnemite's HP to half! Although the Rat Pokemon opened wide, and sunk its teeth into the Pokemon, the Steel typing of Magneton prevented the teeth from actually piercing its defense, doing essentially no damage on the Magnet Pokemon.

"Magneton, Magnet Bomb on Raticate!"

"I got you dad! Eggshell, help Magneton, use Mega Drain on Raticate!"

Glaring at the Raticate, Damien's Magneton raised several clumps of magnets and fired them at the Rat Pokemon, which exploded on impact and threw Raticate backwards into a group of Team Rocket grunts, making them pile out onto the floor too! Quickly, the Exeggcute sucked out what remained of its life energy with the Mega Drain. But Lee could see the pokemon visibly recoil in shock from the Poison, it was getting worse...

"Grr! I shouldn't have relied on a given Pokemon like this!" Bonnie frowned before forcibly putting Raticate back into the ball.

"How dare you! Arbok, now, attack!" Clyde, at the moment when Eggshell was occupied with Raticate, took the moment to attack the boy's pokemon before he could use an Antidote. The big snake quickly surrounded Lee's Exeggcute in a coil, before squeezing Eggshell and giving him pain along with the poison damage he was taking.

"Eggshell! No!" This was bad-Eggshell was taking damage by time from both his condition and the squeeze! But this was a dual battle and Lee realized he had help-he had to use it. "Dad!"

"I got you!" Damien quickly got ahold of the situation, and looked at the current situation before commanding his Magneton. "Magneton, Thunder Wave!"

The electric energy sent by the Magneton was enough to make Arbok become paralyzed, as the shock coursed through its senses. In that moment, Eggshell got out of the grasp and fired a wave of Confusion again before fainting, hitting the defenseless Arbok and knocking it back! But the Arbok still refused to give in, even though it looked completely out of HP, and all the while Lee could see that neither Clyde nor Bonnie was using a potion on their Pokemon; typical of Team Rocket grunts.

"Okay, I'm down to my last healthy Pokemon." Lee said to himself, before taking out his last ball-time to test how strong his new Pokemon is. "Get out here, Grace!"

"Dratini!" The Dragon Pokemon stood in front of the Snake Pokemon, taking a coiling position to counter against Clyde's Arbok. Arbok, noticing this, took a battle stance too, albeit painfully at the paralysis and the damage it had taken.

"Useless snake! Get back into the fight!" Clyde barked at his Arbok, and Arbok, after taking another look at his trainer, hissed loudly at Grace! This surprised Lee-a Pokemon was willing to sacrifice for a Trainer that abuses him? But now was not the best time to ask questions, it was time to kick some butt. Looking through a Pokedex, Lee scanned what moves his Pokemon could use, before finally selecting a move-

"Dratini, Dragon Rage!"

At his trainer's command, Grace focused on Arbok and squinted its eyes, accumulating all the rage she had in the battle, before focusing it into an orb of power. Then she proceeded to fire the orb at the enemy Pokemon, dishing out a certain amount of power that would do damage all the same! While it seemed like the attack didn't knock Arbok out of the battle, the Snake Pokemon maintained its posture for a few seconds-before flopping onto the floor lifelessly. All the while Security finally got an upper hand over the Team Rockets.

"That's what happens when you focus on one Pokemon only." Lee called Eggshell back to his ball, reminding himself to visit the Pokemon center after this immediately. "Go to hell, you Rockets..."

"Language, Lee." Damien reprimanded his son, but not too harshly-they knew these Rockets deserved whatever curse that was coming. And now, with control over the situation, he could find out why this had happened in the first place. "Now, you'll tell us what made you come here, and-"

Before Damien could finish speaking, a massive blast rocked the building as two security guards were flung onto the floor! The entrance had been breached, and expecting someone to appear in the smoke, all the security staff got their Pokemon ready to fight any backup forces. But only the silhouette of a man could be seen, with another silhouette of a big Pokemon behind him. Seeing the threat, the staff immediately fired attacks using their Pokemon, but with a "Persian, Power Gem!" a barrage of rocks hit each and every security guard and their Pokemon, knocking them all out! Lee and his father watched in shock and awe as the man, ever so calmly, walked right into the building without any fear nor care for his own self. And when the smoke cleared, all those who were here to see this event could only doubt their eyes: a man in his mid 40s with short, military style black hair, with a smug, evil look on his face, donning a pitch black suit-the look that only bring fear on the faces of all Kantonians.

"Boss!" In one unified shout, all Team Rocket members, who had been previously subdued by security, kneeled before him, as Lee just stood there with his father, a look of distress on his face. Visibly shaking at the appearance of the honcho, the trainer was frozen in place, dumbfounded that his enemy appeared so suddenly like that, as Giovanni, menacingly, made his way toward Lee. The head of Team Rocket then proceeded to look down at the kid, who, despite trying to be brave, was, in all honesty, scared.

"......Hm, either I seem to have a useless Team or you are a very strong trainer." Giovanni remarked, watching the 10-year old in front of him bare his teeth, all the while trying not to shiver. "I always hate kids like you-bed wetters who think they're big heroes trying to save the day. First Red, then that pesky Gold, then my own son, now you. I could have had a nice word with the president about the Gene, but you had to spoil our ointment, had you not?"

"...You hurt my dad." Lee managed to spit out these words, which was a feat by itself considering who he was talking to.

"Excuse me?"

"You hurt my dad!" Lee yelled, half out of defiance, and half out of a desire to come over his fear. "I always hated you ever since Red let you go! Your organization, kidnapped, killed and sold Pokemon! And whatever schemes you planned, they always hurt me, my friends, my Pokemon, and now, my family! I was not going to just stand and watch while you tried to recreate a reign of terror like years ago! No one would have!"

"......" Giovanni listened to all of that, and after a moment of silence he drooped his head, before breaking out into a laugh. For quite some time the laughter continued, which unnerved everyone inside the building.

"Ho! I love your spirit, you actually fight to beat me, not for a stupid cause like common good! You are, what I call, a worthy kid to beat up personally." Giovanni then shifted his focus to Damien, who was similarly unnerved like Lee. "You, sir, are lucky to have a professional battler as your son, I wonder who he takes inspiration from?"

"Why are you doing this!?" Lee yelled out of frustration, not knowing why Giovanni was here himself. "Why did you come back!? So you can continue to kill, sell, and hurt Pokemon and People!?"

"Shut up!" The boss yelled louder, effectively shutting up Lee. Giovanni then turned his attention to the Team Rocket family. "Now, let's talk about you three. Two of you were one of the best grunts I ever had back in the old days of Team Rocket, and I repaid the favour for you and your child by making all of you as Administrators instead of those idiotic four followers of mine I once called "administrators". And you get pummeled by that weak kid, not just once or twice, but three times!?" It was scary to see the once-hypocritically kind leader of Team Rocket turn into a beast when confronting with his underlings!

"W-We're sorry, Boss!" Clyde nervously spoke up, still at kneeling position. "We fought valiantly, but the kid was armed with a Psychic type Pokemon! And-"

"Dad didn't give me enough berth! I could have whopped him with my Charmander, boss." Belle suddenly spoke up. "And none of my parents even used Potions in battle to counter the HP Loss!"

"Belle! Shut it!" Bonnie hissed. "Boss, Pokemon are tools. That's the official Team Rocket doctrine, and my daughter, she openly violated it by-"

"ENOUGH! We'll talk this over back at base, all three of you. Now, if you people..." Giovanni started speaking in his previous tone, now turning his eye to the remaining defenders, Lee and Damien. "...will excuse me, I will be peacefully exiting this place with my men, all of them. But mess with my exit and I will have you all crushed with rocks. Questions?"

No one said anything at that moment, except for Lee, who, with trembling hands, clutched onto his Pokeballs. He clearly could see that his Pokemon were leagues behind Giovanni's, and that with HP damages sustained from his last battle would make the fight one-sided. But his rage boiled inside him, against the man who spoke of massacres like nothing.

"Oh, and before I go, boy, what's your name?"

Although the trainer did not want to answer this question, he clearly knew that he would answer anyway, either by one peaceful way, or the other alternative.

"Lee......" The boy sputtered.

"Lee?"

"......Lee Hahn."

"Lee Hahn...I'll remember that name. Do come fight me when you have healthy pokemon that are as strong as mine-let's see if you crush me, or if I will be crushing you. Ta-ta!"

As the Rockets all left one by one following their so-called great leader, Lee's shaking legs collapsed by itself onto his knees, and the trainer couldn't help but sob in rage, letting out his frustration in not being strong enough to defeat him right on the spot......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the mess was almost cleaned up now, Lee sat on a bench still shaking in shock. Giovanni had truly shown himself, and by that, the boss imprinted himself in his feeble mind as a being that was superior compared to him. He thought he had seen the last of the fear of Team Rocket. But he never did realize, that he had not seen genuine fear. Not from the man that he wanted for so long. It wasn't normal fear-it was hopelessness. That a stronger being was over him.

"Lee." His father soon came to his aid, holding a cup of cool water. "Drink this. It'll calm you."

"Thanks, dad." Lee barely managed to hold the cup, before tilting it to drink its contents. "It's just...I saw a monster today. A monster that I wanted to hunt it down so badly, and...at that moment when I saw him for myself, I...couldn't..." Lee sniffed, barely holding himself back from bursting into tears.

"And you stood up against it. That's good enough for now-you'll get stronger." His father could only encourage Lee with hollow words, having been unnerved himself too. "If it's too hard you can always come back home."

A warm pat in the back slightly eased the boy's concerns, but the scare had already settled in Lee's heart, to become a blight that would plague him in the future. Lee could only sigh at this turn of events, and wipe the last of his tears from his eyes.

"Thanks, dad..." The trainer curled his hands into a fist, before releasing his grip and letting out his frustration. "But I've come too far. I'm...If I don't face him, I have a feeling I'll get even more scared."

As Lee took deep breaths to calm himself down, a large group of security guards caught Lee's eye, who were approaching him at the other end of the hallway. Most of them, having participated in the battle, had scars and wounds on their faces and body, but the boy knew they fought valiantly, even when the odds were clearly against them. But that aside, why were they coming for him? Before the trainer could assess the situation, his father did so faster and quickly got up from his seat.

"Oh...Mr. President, sir!"

Company president? Why would the Silph Co. President come here for? Lee wondered to himself, but now was not the time to ask. He got up straight and took another deep breath, hoping to make the best impression on the President, who soon revealed himself, an aging man with graying hair, from the army of escorts surrounding him.

"At ease, gentlemen. You did a great service to our company, by keeping it safe." The President kept his eyes on both Damien and Lee as he also took a look at the boy's Pokemon too. "That's the quality I expect from the head of one of our leading tech divisions, and it is a quality I have not seen for a very long time. Not only that, but your son was also very brave and helped in the fighting."

"Thank you, sir." Damien calmly replied.

"You'll be rewarded accordingly, in the meantime do your best like you did today." The president then moved onto Lee. "You're a very plucky boy. And you are also very fortunate, growing up under a father who holds a great position in this company. What's your name, son?"

"Name's Lee, sir. Lee Hahn." Lee spoke with as much determination he could muster, trying to suppress the new worries that threatened to show his weak side in front of the president himself.

"Ah, you are definitely the chip off the old block! A boy like you can only get braver, so don't worry about what happened today. Everyone flinches at some moments." The president spoke patting Lee's shoulder, and the boy nodded as a sign he understood the message. "Anyway, I would love to repay the favor for what you did today. I searched you up on the Pokemon League records, and I find that you're working your way through the gym badges, correct?"

"Yes sir." Lee nodded at that information.

"Well, how about this: our security team will be moving what the Rockets came for, and they're heading to Cinnabar Island. I'll let you catch a ride with them all the way to Route 15, as long as you don't ask what they're carrying-Company secrets."

"I won't say a word, sir."

"Excellent! I suggest you get ready, for they'll be leaving soon. Security, accompany this fine young man to the convoy."

Last edited:

Bay

Years
"...Well, I can't believe my eyes, my son-now with his own Pokemon." The executive, without doubt, hugged his ten-year old son. "I was worried about you, Lee. It's so good of you to come here."

"I missed you too, dad." Lee hugged him too. "Mom said I should visit you before I go to Fuschia City. And...I'm so sorry I didn't call you, and..."

"She did? Well, she was very thoughtful." The son watched as his father took a quick look at his wallet, a family photo taken when Lee was 7 and didn't know about Pokemon at all. "And don't worry about me, I'm always fine, although busy. What I am worried about is you; you're the one who's out on an adventure with Pokemon. I almost had a heart attack when I heard that you battled Team Rocket, and that they almost killed you."

The bolded parts with the epithets there sounded weird. I would just refer Lee and Damien as their names there. I also noticed you refer Damien as executive and such several times.

Lee froze in fear as Belle's Charizard fired its flamethrower at the building, and in the intense heat, the glass shattered, sending a burst of hot air towards the boy!

Seeing you using exclimation points again throughout the two chapters. Yeah, pretty much cut back on that because it's making me not taking the action seriously. Best way to fix this is replace exclimation points (except in dialog) with periods.

"Raticate, Use Hyper Fang on that Magnemite!" Bonnie commanded its Raticate, aiming to cut down Magnemite's HP to half! Although the Rat Pokemon delivered a cutting blow, the Steel typing of Magneton halved the damage, actually whittling 1/4th damage on the Magnet Pokemon.

This is too technical there. Instead describe how Raticate's fangs sunk into part of Magneton's coating but only left some marks there, and such. Also Bonnie that's a Magneton not Magnemite lol.

So, I'm going to be honest. I only skimmed read the big battle from last chapter because the exclamation points happening almost every second sentence really bothered me. I actually almost missed Giovanni's appearance because of this. As I already mentioned, too much exclamation points just makes your actions more amusing than exciting. You managed to held back on that a couple chapters before, so I'm confused why you suddenly went back to so many exclamation points. This is something I would highly consider since your story will be heavy battle focused and I don't have time to point this out each time.

I do genuinely like where you're going with Lee and his father's relationship though and hopefully we'll get more of that down the line.

Last edited:
Years
The bolded parts with the epithets there sounded weird. I would just refer Lee and Damien as their names there. I also noticed you refer Damien as executive and such several times.

Seeing you using exclimation points again throughout the two chapters. Yeah, pretty much cut back on that because it's making me not taking the action seriously. Best way to fix this is replace exclimation points (except in dialog) with periods.

This is too technical there. Instead describe how Raticate's fangs sunk into part of Magneton's coating but only left some marks there, and such. Also Bonnie that's a Magneton not Magnemite lol.

So, I'm going to be honest. I only skimmed read the big battle from last chapter because the exclamation points happening almost every second sentence really bothered me. I actually almost missed Giovanni's appearance because of this. As I already mentioned, too much exclamation points just makes your actions more amusing than exciting. You managed to held back on that a couple chapters before, so I'm confused why you suddenly went back to so many exclamation points. This is something I would highly consider since your story will be heavy battle focused and I don't have time to point this out each time.

I do genuinely like where you're going with Lee and his father's relationship though and hopefully we'll get more of that down the line.

Not gonna lie, I got a bit sloppy this time and forgot to check for exclamation points. I'll try harder next time, and right now I'll see what editing I can do. Thanks for your continued criticisms, I don't want to lose you.

Years
Chapter 21: Gah, Wilderness!

Route 18

The gentle knocks on the road slowly woke up Lee, who had been asleep in the armored truck's back for the last several hours. The battle had exhausted him and his Pokemon completely, and even the break at the Pokemon center before departure wasn't exactly a good one either. Lee looked around to see all his Pokemon sleeping close to him, especially Hydro, who the boy had in his arms. He was snoring loudly, compared to Eggshell's peaceful sleep, Kitsu's constant moving, and Grace's silent snoring. Lifting his glasses, the trainer rubbed his eyes.

"Hey, kid! You're finally awake." One of the guards spoke to him. "Smooth ride, wasn't it? You and your mons slept all the way through Route 17. Or were you tired?"

"Bit of both, sir." Lee nodded and replied, but he just looked down to avoid his gaze; although friendly, the boy knew that the security was not here for him, but to make sure...whatever the Rockets wanted, got to its location safe, which was encased in a metal lockbox handcuffed to the speaking guard's left wrist. And the driver had made it clear to Lee that if he asked about it, he would revoke his privileges even if they came from the boss. "Are we there yet, sir?"

"We'll be dropping you off soon here. You'll be able to go on foot to Fuchsia there, it's not far." The guard continued amidst the silence of the other guards, who were now eyeing him in annoyance. "You'll have to excuse my friends here, they are too committed to this job."

"Could you stop being so talkative? For five minutes!" The head of the guards, previously seen at the Silph entrance point, reprimanded him in annoyance. "Next thing you know you'll be saying sensitive information to that kid with that mouth of yours, and they'll be out for him too."

"Hey, who said anything against a little chat?" This guard argued back. "That's why you haven't got a girlfriend yet."

"Don't you dare talk like that to your superior officer. And I, along with the others, am in no mood to talk after the incident at HQ." Before the argument could proceed even further, the truck crawled to a stop.

"Well, this is our break spot, and where you get off, kid."

"Thank you for the ride, sir," Lee replied, slightly understanding the aura of annoyance that this guy got. Constant paranoia plus annoying teammates equals general hate towards population? It may be a far stretch, but the boy just knew that some people were like that. The guards, with great concern, pulled out their walkie-talkies and opened the door, while Lee woke all of his Pokemon up. The trainer could only guess that whatever they were carrying was very important, and at this point, he would not be surprised if the Rockets jumped the convoy while he was getting off.

"VIP exiting the vehicle, all of you, watch the perimeter." At a signal of the leader, two of the guards followed Lee out of the truck, and looked around quickly with Pokeballs in hand, looking for signs of danger that could strike at any moment if present.

"Clear."

"Clear over here, too." Both guards relayed the news to the leader.

"Consider it lucky, kid. No one is out for you and the package today. Everyone back in the truck, we're moving out! We're late on schedule."

"Good luck, sir...and thank you, all of you."

But even after all that understanding, Lee couldn't help but feel irritated with the not-so-friendly security head, although he had to say that...and that's when Lee realized he couldn't. He wasn't in their shoes. He wasn't the one mercilessly pummeled, because Giovanni spared him—because he was weak. Once again deep in pressure, the trainer looked at the sky now stained a light shade of orange, while he heard the transport rumble away to...wherever they were going. Time to get moving, the boy thought. I have to get to Fuchsia by nightfall...and find somewhere to crash for the night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Route 18-Fuchsia City

It had gone completely dark when Lee passed by a sign that said "Behold-the Passion Pink! Welcome to FUCHSIA CITY-500m". The trainer yawned, as the fatigue from the adventure crept upon him like a Ghost-type Pokemon, and neither were his Pokemon in better shape. How could boys go on like this? Lee wondered, can't help but think about what the world had in store for 10-year olds like him. Other than the leg-hurting walks, the camping in the unforgiving nature, and the burden responsibility the Pokemon gave to their trainers, does there—or should it say, did there exist, fun? What did the kids do to get a kick in their adventure after Team Rocket's demise, after the challengers were gone? With all the stress factors, the kids needed the vent, and who knows, maybe some harmless owner was harassed by several hot-blooded kids wanting to beat his or her Pokemon up-

"Dratini?"

Lee turned his head at Grace's cry, as she shed her skin onto the unsuspecting Kitsu who was walking behind her. The Vulpix squealed and immediately emitted a low growl at the Dratini as she yelped and ran to Lee's leg, curling around it, while Eggshell and Hydro watched amused. All the while their trainer grimaced in disgust at the biological process.

"Alright, alright. Hold on you two." The trainer spoke in a grumbling tone and took out a vinyl bag. It was a crime to leave Pokemon droppings on the road, and picking them up was a dirty job that had to be done if one wanted to avoid huge fines. Especially, ever since Grace joined the team, her constant shedding just added to Lee's list of things to pick up. Yet he didn't want to get mad at his Pokemon. But neither could he always give love to them, with all the annoyances and bad behaviors.

"Just a bit farther, guys." Lee pointed at the entrance to Fuchsia City, now pretty close. "Or would you guys like to go in your balls?"

"Wartortle..."

"Vul...!"

"Exeggcute."

"Draaa.."

All Pokemon let out their cries sounding exhausted, and Lee immediately pressed the buttons on his Pokeballs. Best to have them rest in the ball for tomorrow. For the kid, he had to walk in any case, because he was the trainer, someone who must lead these Pokemon to the greatness they desire. Or so that's what the people say about it, quite romantically...compared to this.

Fuchsia City

Trudging through the empty streets, what Lee found unsettling was that all the lights, even the common street lamps, were all off today, and the city was so quiet today...no human activity, at all. Not even a stray Pokemon roamed the streets, and Lee's scared eyes shifted around scouting the darkness. And as he walked further into the city, he felt goosebumps rising as bent signs, smashed windows, and toppled boxes passed by him, and the only thing the trainer could do to combat the fear was to clutch at his Pokeballs. His walk stopped at a cornerside store, where he let out a gasp at the carnage that lay before him: The entire storefront smashed, with flipped cars around the street...and the boy completely froze, at a growl to his right.

Oh, crap. Lee quickly looked in the direction, but in the pitch-black darkness, he could see nothing but a gray, spiky head with red eyes looking at him, slowly getting closer. The trainer's shaking legs failed to get away, not even moving an inch with the threat slowly approaching him, and in the situation, his eyes welled up with tears—but before he could even do that, he felt wind blow from his left, before someone suddenly threw him onto an alleyway! Before Lee could even let out a yelp, immediately something, no, someone forced their hand over the boy's mouth. No one dared to make a move as the mysterious beast shook its head in surprise at the sudden act, before looking around for its target before emitting a low growl and walking away elsewhere, making thumping noises every step. Both the people in the alley did not move for some time after the creature went away, before the mysterious rescuer removed her hands from Lee's mouth and got up, and the latter immediately got up.

"T-thank you." Lee wiped his tears and grasped his arms, the skin now bumpy from the fearful experience. "I just...oh god, what was that...?"

"Are you okay?" The figure spoke to him, lowering her voice to avoid detection by the creature. The dawning moonlight revealed the rescuer's purple hair for some moment, and Lee recognized the feminine figure he had seen on the League's promotional materials.

"...Janine?" Lee asked, at a similarly low voice to that of the other, to make sure that he had not made a mistake.

"That's me." The figure nodded, her hair gently fluttering in the wind's movement. "You sound like a young trainer. What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was coming here to crash for the night, then challenge you the next morning, and-"

"Hoohh, boy...you could not be here at a worse time." Janine shook her head, her face quickly grimacing. "There was a Pokemon breakout at the Safari Zone, and a wild Rhyhorn's been trashing up the streets."

"Oh...And the Pokemon's still around..." Lee grasped his Pokeballs and his arms tighter in fear. "No wonder almost everything I saw was wrecked...Is anyone hurt?"

"Most definitely. People have been charged at and tranquilizers bounced off the monster, so the authorities evacuated everyone out of the city until the Pokemon calmed down." Janine continued. "I kept telling them they should have taken the time to block the roads to the city too, to prevent anyone from entering the city like you, but the ones above me do love running away with their lives. I stayed behind just in case people like you came here."

"...Can I do anything to help?" With great hesitation, the trainer asked the gym leader. Even though fear was a primary emotion in Lee right now, not being able to do anything about it bothered him even more.

"Well, you've made it this far. You've gotta be careful on this one though, Rhyhorns are a tough nut to crack even with type advantages. I can improvise a trap though...you'll need to weaken the Rhyhorn and lure it though. Do you have Pokemon strong against Ground?"

"I-I have Hydro and Eggshell." Lee cleared his throat, still feeling his voice sound like he was crying. "My Wartortle and Exeggcute."

"Great, that should anger the Pokemon enough." Janine recounted her options as she pointed to a swanky house near a pond. "I'll install a trap in the backyard of the safari game warden's house, by the pool of water, see? The Rhyhorn is scary but it's dumb as bricks, so it won't see this coming from you and me. And one more advice—"

"Uh-huh?"

"When it sees you, run like your life depends on it, then dive away at the last second! It's gonna charge straight at you with its horn and it takes a lot of inertia for it to stop. Once the trap is finished I'll join you, and take over the decoy role. Say, what's your name again? Don't think I've asked you."

"I'm Lee." The boy, to combat the stress, could only rub two of his Pokeballs, those of Hydro's and Eggshell's. "But where did it go?"

"I'll loan you my Golbat for spotting. He's a good one at that." With that, Janine gave Lee an ultra ball containing her Golbat, who was handed down from her father, predecessor and current Johto Elite Four, Koga.

"Thank you." Lee could only speak out that word in this situation.

"I'll have the trap ready as fast as possible. Like I said, do not run in a straight line away from that thing!"

"Okay." Lee breathed in the cold night air, he knew that panicking would result in more incompetence. "Golbat, come out here! Find the Rhyhorn!"

"Gol-bat!"

Popping out of its' ball by the press of a button, Janine's Golbat nodded to his temporary trainer and fluttered high into the sky, as Lee watched Janine run to the Warden's house—time to go. Again, Lee nervously started taking steps into the destruction-filled city, scarier than ever before. But for him, this felt much better than not doing anything and still being scared. The view around him only got more apocalyptic, with nothing around him but crushed vehicles and destroyed storefronts, some even still burning, all with the night to boot. And in this ravaged street, Lee could only keep walking...until suddenly something touched his shoulder!

"YAAAHHHH!"

The scream broke the silence in the devastated part of town, as the trainer, surprised by the sudden touch, fell to the ground while turning around! Only then did he realize that it was Golbat, panicking, flapping its wings.

"You scared me, Golbat!" Lee blurted out his words in anger, but in truth, they had a bit of relief with it. "The Rhyhorn, did you find it?"

And immediately, the kid's relief was shattered when he realized the reason why Golbat was so panicking, which immediately was verified by a rock flying at the flying Bat Pokemon! Striking his wing, the rock continued its travel and smashed into the 2nd story of a building, raining down dust on Lee and the fainted Golbat. A low growl came from the direction of the rock, where the Pokemon revealed its silhouette of its sharp horn and rocky carapace in the darkness...

"No!" Lee shouted in terror, quickly tapping the ultra ball's button to call the fainted Golbat back, before quickly hitting the buttons of two of his Pokeballs! "Hydro! Eggshell! HELP!"

"Wartortle!"

"Exeggcute!"

Both Pokemon immediately popped out of their balls, before landing on the concrete ground. Eggshell fired a beam of Grass energy along with Hydro's Water Pulse at the charging Rhyhorn, but even these attacks proved to be of nil value as the Rhyhorn kept charging!

What is that thing on!? Lee thought to himself as he dived out of the way and started running, while the monster crashed into a tree on the street, bringing it down! Hydro and Eggshell, quickly realizing the level of the threat, hastily followed their trainer. Lee felt like he was going to trip any moment as he, with his Pokemon, barely dodged debris littered on the street, all the while the Rhyhorn doggedly chased them smashing everything out of the way!

Frick, frick, frick, frick, frick, frick, frick. All kinds of curses ran through the trainer's head as he dived out of the way, smashing his body into the hard sidewalk. It hurt, but it was this or be gored along with his Pokemon. Although this time, the Rhyhorn tried to change its direction it was moving in, it still failed to hit the intended target and instead drove into a concrete pillar of a building, raining down glass onto Lee, Eggshell, and Hydro! Lee instinctively shielded his head with his hands from for protection from sharp glasses, while his Pokemon cuddled under him. But there was no time to remain in the defensive - the Rhyhorn was recovering. "Hydro, Eggshell! Keep firing on the move! We need to keep distracting it!"

"Wartortle!" "Exegg! Exeggcute!"

As both Pokemon moved quickly by either jumping or moving the stubby legs, they fired their Water-type attacks and Grass-type attacks quickly-but accuracy was now also a problem, as even the non-effective attacks missed the target, which was now getting closer to the kid, lowering its head and readying the horn! And just when Lee thought he was going to get speared for sure-the moonlight illuminated the silhouette of Janine in the air, and a Koffing floated up next to Lee, spraying Smokescreen at Rhyhorn to throw him off course. The ninja gym leader immediately dashed next to Lee, running in an aerodynamic position with her arms stretched out behind her.

"Split up! The trap is ready, I'll make him come after me now!"

"Okay, going the other way-be safe!" Immediately, Lee went in another direction, and all he could do at that point was hope that, for Janine, the Rhyhorn was easier to run away from-but the immediate clacking of the rocky feet completely wiped that concern off of him!

"Janine, it's still after me! IT'S STILL AFTER ME!" Panicking, the trainer, quickly but clumsily, slid across the hood of a parked car, only to tumble while dropping onto the sidewalk and badly scraping his right arm. And immediately the Spikes Pokemon crashed into the vehicle, sending the car flying across the air as if it was a toy and into a building's wall, missing the boy by inches as Eggshell cuddled down on the ground along with his trainer! Although Lee tried to check on his Pokemon, deter the Rhyhorn away, to do anything helpful, his body hardened like plaster, and his mouth could not spit out any words, but repeat the same, loud sound over and over again in a moment of horror. Shocked at what had been happening until now, he felt like his brain completely stopping, devoid of any thought as all senses closed on him, the sounds all being translated into meaningless rings as he could only watch the carnage around him before the dust covered his view.

As his eyes closed on him to avoid the horrific view, the darkness in his mind was broken by a bright realization, and all his senses jumpstarted when the colors of light blue and pink were nowhere to be found in his view. Immediately his body broke out of the mold, and looked down hearing the cries of his Exeggcute. All 6 of them, in an attempt to alert their trainer, formed an arrow, and following the direction with his eyes, Lee's eyes widened as he found the brown shell wedged between the wall and the car...

"Hydro!" Panicking, Lee immediately sprang up and, ignoring the pain coming from his right arm, tried to pull his Wartortle out of the wreckage. "Come on, It's gonna come for us again!"

Weakly, the Wartortle popped out of his shell, and grabbed its trainer's hands...and pushed them away!

"War...Wartortle!" And when Lee tried it again, the Pokemon swung its hands, threatening to scratch whatever touched him.

"No, I'm not leaving you behind! Eggshell, cover us!" Forcefully grabbing its hands once again, Lee pulled with all his might, but the debris refused to budge.

"WARTORTLE!" Frustrated with the trainer not getting its message, the Pokemon charged up a Water Pulse and fired it, hitting the trainer with all its might and blowing his hat off!

"Grr! You're coming with me, like it or not!" Even when wet, the trainer wouldn't give up on his Pokemon, not now when they both needed each other the most! As Eggshell's heads all rotated around while the dust cleared, ready for the attack that was about to strike, they aimed at the Rhyhorn that was coming at them, but this time, it approached slowly, making several cries toward Eggshell-whose heads turned to each other, let out cries at each other in some sort of discussion, before turning back around to face the coming Spikes Pokemon.

"Wha...Eggshell!" In a panic, seeing the monster coming closer while he was trying to free Hydro, Lee turned to his Exeggcute. "Attack it! It's coming toward us!"

"Exeggcute, Exeggcute!" All heads shook left and right...

"What are you doing!? Attack it! C'mon!"

Yelling out in despair, Lee stopped tugging on Hydro, before, in a reckless attempt to halt the Rhyhorn's advance, dashed at it and grabbed it in the horn! Shrugging at the stalling, it chucked him away onto the pavement, but weak enough to not inflict any injuries on the trainer. And much to the trainer's surprise, it went up to the toppled vehicle, and using its monstrous strengths, the Rhyhorn pushed the car back on its wheels, freeing Hydro, who fell to the ground on his soft tail.

"Oh......" A long, awkward silence enveloped the trainer, who realized he had failed to understand the messages of his Pokemon in the heat of the battle. "...You were trying to save Hydro...?"

"Lee! I was obscured by the dust! Are you-" Janine came running to the scene.

"Wait! It just saved Hydro!" Lee yelled, trying to get the situation across. This pocket monster, a rampaging beast in the middle of a city, just saved a Pokemon that attacked him by the orders of someone it was trying to kill? It sounded weird, but now he had no time for details.

"Thank you."

The Rhyhorn had some good heart in it left, and that's all that mattered to Lee. He slowly approached the Rhyhorn and, out of energy from all the running, hugged the Rhyhorn in the neck as he collapsed onto his knees. And slowly, again, his senses started shutting down, the night sky being the last thing he saw before exhaustion unfurled a veil of darkness over his eyes.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I like the reference to Dratini's skin shedding there. Poor Lee having to deal with that heh. Also nice twist that the Rhyhorn was saving Hyrdo at the end.

So, the first half of the chapter you were better at not using the exclamation points too much, but then when the Rhyhorn action sequence begins you started to using them a lot again. I think the main problem is you're trying too hard to make the action stand out with the exclamation points. After finishing a draft, I would go over the exclamation points in your prose and replace the punctuation with just a period when possible. I know you probably are tired of hearing this already lol.

Years
I know, curtailing exclamation marks is hard to do especially when writing action sequences. I'll keep trying it your way, thank you for your continued criticisms.

Years
Chapter 22: Ground Zero

Again, Lee found himself back in his home, in bed, his Pokemon gone, and his bag missing. In the usual manner, the kid got out of bed, and looked around. But this time, he was less surprised than the first experience, knowing fully well that he was going to wake up from whatever knocked him out. And besides, as twisted as this sounded, it was nice being back home, after all the harsh experiences on the road. But then again, these thoughts made Lee wonder: Was he really that homesick?

The question was left in the air as he went down the stairs again, but this time there was only pure, swirling darkness beneath, and the frightened trainer quickly turned around, only for the steps to disappear from his feet, making him fall into the abyss as the room above him disappeared into the darkness. The black colors around Lee enveloped him like water, and started pulling him under with undefeatable force as he let out a sharp scream...

"No! Please!" The trainer shouted out, as darkness covered his eyes and flooded his nose and mouth, slowly drowning out his voice by choking... "HELP! SOMEONE HELP! GET ME OUT! Get me out-"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuchsia City

Immediately Lee's eyes shot open, darting around in panic and seeing himself in the bed with a gown, with curtains all around him. Was he in a hospital? At least it wasn't that dark, horrid place that was his dream-He had woken up to reality again, thankfully. The trainer let out a sigh, closing his eyes and sinking into the comfy mattress under him as rhythmic beeps from the heart monitor helped to restore order in the mind. The question of why he was here, that could wait-as far as he knew, he wasn't in danger anytime soon. But the time alone was short-lived, as the sound of the doctor pulling away the curtain made him open his eyes again.

"Doctor." Lee got up from bed to face him. "What happened? Why am I here?"

"No need to worry, Lee, I'm Dr. Casey Proctor, allow me to explain." Dr. Proctor said softly, being careful of his language due to the patient being 10 years old. "You were knocked out by intensive bleeding on your right leg. They were initially a light injury caused by glass shards that fell with velocity, but it was the running that jolted them deeper. Some were from the car, others were from the window."

"Wha-?"

In visible confusion, immediately the trainer lifted the blanket, and found the injured leg tightly bound in bandages.

"B-but I didn't feel anything...?"

"Well, I believe the adrenaline from the chase deadened your senses. If it wasn't for Janine who noticed it, and brought you to our temporary ward out of town...I'd hate to say what would have happened."

"Wow...I better thank her when I get out. This won't have any adverse effects on my walking, will it, doc?"

"Not to worry, son. Janine brought you in good time." The doctor slightly smiled at the kid to ease him of his worries. "There was a lot of blood, but the fragments didn't dig in too deep and were quickly removed. Ointments and anesthetics have been applied, with tight bandages around the wound. There will remain a few small scars, but other than that, you'll have no trouble at all walking if you heal up here for the next five days."

"Thank you, sir."

Lee beamed with relief as he sunk back into his bed, happy at not having to imagine himself limping slowly alongside Hydro.

"Oh, one more thing: You have a visitor, this brown haired kid who says he's your friend."

"I know him. Where is he, doc?"

"He said he'd bring your breakfast meal." Dr. Proctor peeked out of the curtains, before turning his focus back to Lee. "Well, I can't be annoying my patients, can I? I'll be out, Lee, do page me if you need anything."

"Have a great day, doc."

How am I still alive with all these stunts? Lee thought to himself as he looked up at the ceiling in slight regret: He wouldn't be in this world of hurt if he hadn't prioritized getting to Fuchsia before night. But then again, if he hadn't been there the Rhyhorn still would have dominated the city(Even though Lee did seriously doubt on if other people were going to come and defeat it anyway later). And maybe getting to Fuchsia wouldn't have been a problem that came at him so quickly if he hadn't helped out the people at Silph Co or refused the free ride. But that would also mean refusing to see his dad, and that would not mean calling his mother either back at Celadon, and more. To think this one Butterfree could cause this much of a storm-

"Hey, are you alright?"

Again interrupted his flow of consciousness at the familiar voice, Lee turned to Gray and made himself comfy, as the latter put down the tray on the bed's table.

"I heard what happened. If I had come faster to help you..."

"You tried your best, Gray. Still, it sure would have been nice to see you yesterday night." Sitting up and straightening out his back, Lee looked down at his meal: Pumkin Berry Soup, barbecued substitute meat, and a piece of toast, complete with Bluk Berry jam. Not the most appetizing meals, but they would do for the time being for rejuvenation. "Trust me, that Rhyhorn...it was something I felt so much fear at when I met it."

"I'm just glad you're okay. Still, you made it with your Pokemon, that's good performance-against something like this!"

Half-jokingly, Gray thrusted his hand like the Rhyhorn's drilling horn, making Lee belch out a laugh at the slapstick-esque performance. After that, the former sat on a chair next to the bed and spawned Poison Ivy out of his ball, putting the Ivysaur on his lap and petting his bulb, to which he responded with cute growls.

"Speaking of that Pokemon...I met Janine during this morning's cleanup and helped with securing the Rhyhorn. She said that, she wanted to meet you after lunch if it was okay, Lee."

"Sure, I'm always available. Even more so for the next few days." With that, Lee started to fill his empty stomach, before realizing something important that he had completely forgotten about.

"Say, what about you, Gray?"

"Huh?"

"Aren't you hungry?"

"Me? Ah, don't worry. I ate before I got here. Trust me, you don't know how weirdly satisfying it is to eat at a diner where the entire front is open!"

"Seriously? You ate there? I passed by that place yesterday, and I was wondering the same thing some time ago!"

In a moment of harmony, both friends chuckled over the experience as told by Gray. They knew that hardships like this would not be the last. But they would march on ahead, because there were, in the end, things to laugh while looking back on, even if they were harrowing situations.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dragging around an IV pole, Lee, now in full hospital clothing, slowly walked past several patients who were being wheeled. Dr. Proctor told him that while he could walk, he would still need some intravenous therapy to compensate for the sudden shock sustained in the injuries. And, until the wounds completely healed, no high-stress activities like running would be allowed. But details later-for now, Lee had an appointment that came first. Janine did say that she'd show what she had figured out with the Rhyhorn, especially on the reason why it went berserk. That part really did make Lee curious too: Why would a good Pokemon suddenly go berserk and try to kill anyone in its path, before helping him out? That did not make any sense at all, not under normal conditions at least.

Opening the door onto Fuchsia City's streets, leaves from the trees fluttered down in the calm breeze, amidst destroyed buildings and the cleanup crews inside them. The trainer enjoyed the relatively calm, after-the-storm scenery, weirdly feeling a sort of joy at such a landscape others would call ruined, before he felt something mushy pull at his now beat-up sneakers. Looking down, he immediately recognized a Grimer motion with its hands a 'follow me' as it crawled away to a bench under a tree, leaving a trail of poisonous ooze behind. Although sickened at the biological trail of the Sludge Pokemon, Lee could not say anything bad about the little guy as he followed the trail, to Janine, who was sitting on a bench under a tree that had not fallen during Rhyhorn's attack. But as he got closer, the silhouette of something gray and angled next to the gym leader caught his attention, and quite immediately, something in his body made him completely freeze in place, his eyes locked in place at the terrible memory that was last night.

"Lee!"

Immediately the boy flinched back into consciousness at the call of his name, but he still eyed the Rhyhorn some distance away, feeling that it will immediately rear up and attack if he got close. Even if Janine was there, Poison was not going to work on that thing.

"It's okay! It's harmless, come take a look at it. I'll tell you the details."

"O-okay." At the behest of Janine, slowly, Lee stepped forward, toward the bench and the Pokemon that were beside it. He tried to turn his gaze away from the undeniable shape of the Rhyhorn, but as it got closer and more visible it became ever harder to just pretend it was not there. Still, he had to do this. For the answers that he hoped for. And immediately, as soon as he got to the bench, he collapsed onto the seat, breathing in and out to control his out-of-control heart.

"Sorry. It's just that..." Lee took more breaths, feeling as if his heart was being compressed. "...it's just that I've had a really crap day yesterday."

"I know, but it's not good to assume that all Rhyhorns are dangerous." Janine spoke to Lee in a soothing voice, before moving toward him with the Rhyhorn doing suit, the Pokemon soon standing in front of Lee. "You should try patting it."

"Are you sure?"

"It won't hurt you. I promise."

"Okay......okay."

Cautiously, the trainer extended his left hand, before slowly laying it on the Rhyhorn's head. A hard, cold feeling overtook Lee as, again, he fought to destroy his baseless fears, which he did by moving his hand left and right, petting the Pokemon. With that, a puff of air escaped Lee's mouth, as he felt the grip on his lungs disappear, upon hearing the joyful purrs of the Rhyhorn that were just too cute to be on the state of constant alarm.

"That...wasn't so bad, I guess." Slowly, Lee's grimace loosened, and a weak smile imprinted itself on his lips as the Rhyhorn continuously purred in pleasure at the touch. "This guy's nice."

"That's the thing." Quickly, Janine lowered her voice. "That Rhyhorn...it was the one that attacked you yesterday."

Immediately after that was said, the boy jumped from his seat in surprise, almost tumbling off the bench!

"WHAAAT!?"

"Keep it down! I haven't even gotten to my point yet, and I can't have other people hearing already." Janine told Lee quietly, while helping him get seated again in proper position. "All personality tests confirmed that this Rhyhorn was the Naive nature, which was clearly not the case yesterday. And get this-doctors found residue of an unknown gene in its blood."

"An unknown...gene?"

"Yes. What's interesting about this, is that it has the same qualities as the residue left in Cerulean Cave..."

"Cerulean Cave...?" What could Cerulean Cave have to do with Pokemon going insane? But then immediately, a horrifying idea sprang up in Lee's head, one that was very much related to his role model, and the story of the Kanto of the past.

"Oh god...Could that mean...?"

"Yes."

A moment of silence passed as Lee looked down in horror at the mention of the thing that should not be named. What he learned as the man-made abomination of a beautiful mythical Pokemon, that went vicious because it was subjected to so many torturous experiments by Team Rocket.

"......But it doesn't make sense...Mewtwo's already been caught, and genes don't just, get up and start trying to butcher everything in sight!" Still keeping his voice low, Lee tried to stuff all the confusing information he had heard into his little brain, trying to make sense out of it, if it was even possible.

"That's what the scientists are trying to figure out! But the results are still inconclusive, even on whether this is a genuine Mewtwo gene, so for now, I'm as blind as you are." The gym leader did so too, further informing him of the uncertainty. "But I do have something to request of you in the meantime."

"Okay, I'm listening."

"...Could you take good care of this Rhyhorn?"

"...Why?" Confused, the trainer turned his head toward Janine. "Can't he be returned to the Safari Zone?"

"I may not have told you about this, but there's been similar incidents like this for the past several months."

Lee was shocked at such new information. There were more incidents like this? How did they get it in control, and why hasn't he heard anything?

"But I haven't heard any news about them...?" Lee asked carefully.

"They were much smaller incidents, so no one thought it was important. This is the first time an escaped Pokemon did damage of this scale. I used to think that the escapes were all a case of poor management, but now, I have a hunch that someone's riling up to the Safari Zone Pokemon for some reason."

"You think someone's doing this?"

"...Like I said, I don't know for sure yet. But if my fears are true, I do not want this Pokemon to go through the rough stuff he's already experienced."

"......I'll make sure he stays safe."

With that, Lee pulled out an empty Pokeball and showed it to the Rhyhorn, that was once a life-threatening entity toward him. Clearly, there was something behind all this that was making this good boy into a complete monster, and the trainer was even more convinced in this theory when the Pokemon happily pressed the button with its snout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still with the IV pole behind him, Lee closed his eyes-but not because he was trying to do anything. In fact, his legs were staying still as his newly-adopted Rhyhorn carried him in a Kalos racer fashion through the wide hospital corridors, while the Pokemon followed the newest member of the team, mesmerized by his strength. In fact, Lee was about to take the long ramp around into the hospital when Rhyhorn popped out of its ball and lifted its trainer onto its back. The Spikes Pokemon gleefully yet carefully moved by the masses of people, attracting the eyes of the patients.

"Ah, Lee!" Dr. Proctor approached his 10-year old patient, now even taller than him on the Rhyhorn's back. The mon was also growling cutely at the doctor, having sensed friendliness. "I see you've gotten a new friendly Pokemon."

"Thank you, sir." Lee smiled at the remark, still amazed at the capabilities of his new friend. "I named him 'Hardtack', since he's dry, rocky and gives joy."

"That is a good name! But ah, sorry to ask this, but could you get off the Pokemon? Your X-Ray check for concussions is about to begin soon, and Pokemon are not really allowed in the chamber with their trainers."

"Ooh, okay."

At the news of the checkup, the boy slowly got off his Rhyhorn, making sure the left
foot hit the ground first before softly putting his right foot on the ground. He took the IV pole back into his hands, and crouched down to meet the eye level of his Pokemon.

"Sorry, Rhyhorn, but I've got to go, I have checkup in some time."

"Rhy, Rhyhorn." Hearing that his trainer had to go away to do important business, Hardtack whimpered, rubbing its horn against Lee's sleeves.

"I know, but you don't have to feel pressured about doing things for me because you're sorry." And to the aforementioned reaction, Lee responded with a hug, going around Hardtack's neck between the armor plates. "You've saved one of my Pokemon when I needed it, and that's enough for me."

"Rhy..."

"Don't worry, I'll be right back before you can say anything. Until then, stay with Hydro and the other guys, okay?"

But the trainer's words failed to do any good toward Hardtack, as it stood there for some time at the corridor, watching its trainer follow the doctor to another room. Following Eggshell and Kitsu returned to Lee's bedside, Hydro glanced at the Rhyhorn to see it blinking its eyes, dropping some tears down his rocky skin, before he turned away to follow the other Pokemon...

Last edited:
Years
Chapter 23: Kantonian Venom, Part 1

A week later...

In the spacious lobby of the local hospital, among the patients moving here and there, a young boy was darting through the gaps in the crowd, but not too perfectly, crashing with several people time and time again as he made his way to the nearby stairway.

"Watch it!" One of the patients shouted at a near miss.

"Sorry, no time!"

The runner was none other than Gray, who, frantically, continued running up to the second floor, before abruptly turning to the right and into the nearby patients' ward...

---------------------------------------------------------------

After zipping up his tangerine-colored vest on his white shirt, Lee pulled down his right pant leg as Dr. Proctor finished the last checks on the wounds, which, to cite his words, "healed extremely well." Still, he couldn't help but notice the few small gashes that remained as scars, that he passed off in calls to his parents as "just minor flesh wounds". Maybe they won't notice? That would depend on his luck. The last thing Lee wanted, with all the chaos unfolding around him, was parents' paranoia.

"Alright, if you have any problems from the injuries later on, don't hesitate to come back to me, Lee." The doctor nicely explained as Lee put a slight smile on his face while sitting on the hospital bed. "Remember, healthcare is free, so I recommend using it-"

And before the doctor could finish his words, Gray came barging through the door with a loud bang from the door! Surprised, Lee instinctively climbed up on the bed before realizing his friend's silhouette.

"What the heck, Gray!?" Lee yelled in confusion. "What's the hurry?"

"...It's urgent! Janine, she needs you!" Gray huffed out quick breaths, tired from the constant running. "There's been a development in the Rhyhorn case, and the wardens are preparing something big. We're in it!"

"Whoa, whoa, slow down! You're not making any sense."

Getting down from the bed, Lee approached his friend before his left wrist was abruptly grabbed!

"No time, we gotta go!"

"HEY! Stop pulling on me, at least explain!"

With that, Lee was immediately dragged out of the room, not even getting the time to say goodbye to the good doctor as he was forced to follow Gray out of the hospital, to wherever he was going...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Safari Zone

"Janine! I've got him!" Gray yelled out as he approached the Safari Zone's entrance, with Lee in tow. The latter's eyes widened at the sight of dozens of game wardens gathering up, all in safari clothing with riot gear-esque armor worn on their legs, head, and elbows, while all sorts of various Pokemon stood by their sides, such as Kangaskhans, Chanseys, Scythers, and more. Why would they need such armor, though? And why in the Safari Zone of all places? Was the threat in there? That could explain the recent breakouts as Janine described, but there was so much detail missing from all this.

"Thank you, Gray." Janine, in her usual ninja clothes, walked up to both kids before shaking Gray's hand. "I need you to join the others while I talk to Lee, can you do that?"

"Will do, Gym leader." Gray nodded. "I'll stand by the wardens."

With that, the trainer ran into the group of game wardens, joining them as they gathered single file in an army fashion.

"Good. The more people we have, the faster we can put this situation down."

The gym leader said to herself, before turning to Lee, who was confused at this turn of events.

"What's going on?" Lee asked in disorientation, still wondering what would make him so important, to the point that Gray was ordered to run to him immediately.

"We're raiding our Safari Zone." Janine explained the current situation to Lee, as calm as she could with all the tumult going around. "I haven't said the details regarding the gene to anyone, just that the people that were making the Pokemon mad were hiding somewhere in there."

"Yeah, but...I really haven't got the rest of the story." Realizing the clandestine nature of this operation, Lee lowered his voice, to keep a secret that would cause mass panic if it was released. "What does this have to do with the Berserk Gene?"

"The situation is very bad. The DNA results came init's real, a fresh one at that!" Janine continued, keeping her cool but still sounding quite surprised at the results, and so was Lee, who froze in place at the news. "But there's more-it's different from the sample of Red's Mewtwo!"

"What!? How is that-there's only one Mewtwo!" Frustrated by the implication of this discovery, Lee almost lost his cool and barely stopped himself from yelling out his words. "Hold on. You don't think..."

"There's only one explanation for all this destruction starting from the Safari Zone, when considering the news these days. Team Rocket is trying to do something with the gene data, right in our own Safari Zone."

Both trainers' faces went pale, as they knew what it all meant. If Team Rocket was using Mewtwo's genes for some purpose, somewhere in the Safari Zone, that meant nothing good, when one remembers that the substance comes from a monster that whittled even Red down to his final Pokemon to low health. If this chance was lost, the Rockets would get their hands on a WOMD, and, if one in a million, should anyone screw up anything with the gene, there could be no tomorrow for Fuchsia, and even worse, for Kanto.

"Okay, what do you want me to do?" Feeling overcome with a sense of panic, Lee quickly asked the question to make it go away.

"We'll be commencing a zone-wide search-and-destroy operation, to search every nook and cranny, destroy any Team Rocket goons, and make sure no abomination is being created. Lee, help Gray, I'll be leading the other wardens."

"Got it. Be safe, Gym Leader Janine."

"Likewise, Lee. Everyone prepare for entry in one minute!"

Hearing the time left until the operation commenced, the safari personnel became even busier, checking their gears and armor as even more people joined the group of game wardens. Lee still couldn't get over how Janine stayed so relatively peaceful, but he guessed that a stable mind was required for a ninja that had to move quickly without any doubts about the situation. He joined up with Gray, who was wiping the sweat off his brows while sitting on the ground.

"Hey, Lee." Smiling, Gray got up from his seat and faced his friend, with the latter giving him a hand and helping him up. "What did Janine have to say to you?"

"Ehh...It's nothing that you'll want to know." Surprised by the matter of the question, Lee awkwardly skipped the question, fearing that the news will spread and cause even more panic.

"Aw, come on, Lee! I know people are looking for you and all, but don't think you're superior or anything." Gray frowned at the answer, his displeasure clearly reflected on the tone of his voice. "I hate you when you're full of yourself like now."

"Gray, it's not that, it's-"

...And Lee just lost his words. What should he be doing in this situation? A chain of questions soon formed, the associated moral values spinning around his head to confound him more. Should he keep his mouth shut and damage a friendly relationship with Gray, or tell him the truth and trust him on that he won't spread the news? Maybe he could lie, but he quickly decided against that; He had nothing to make up right now, and it was going to sound shoddy no matter what way he put it.

"...Well?"

Gray's voice shattered the decision process as Lee opened his eyes again, the pain of the headache amplifying itself as the choices fluttered by.

"Gray, Look." Finally, with a lot of contemplation, Lee opened his mouth. "I-"

"Everyone move in! Look for holes, hidden entrances, traps, anything that could pinpoint us to the Rockets hiding in here! Until the whole area is declared safe, do not let the Pokemon out of their balls!"

Before anything could be done, Janine shouted out commands to the group, and the entire group of game wardens, at the command of the gym leader, moved in unison with order. It was time to go, and Lee had no time to execute the commands. At least, an alternative had to be made.

"You heard her, Gray." Lee put his left hand on his friend's shoulder. "I promise, once this is over...I'll tell you everything!"

"You better." Gray slightly lessened his frown, but it was still hanging on his lips as both trainers dashed into the Safari Zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the current situation wasn't so dire, the Safari Zone would have been a wonderful place to be in. The areas were all covered in high grass and tall trees, and the ponds reflected the sunshine coming from the sky, all the while the Pokemon roamed freely as the heavily armored Wardens passed by them, irking the monsters back into the grass patches. Despite all the savannah-like looks though, the air was crisp and the temperature was just right. All this perfection on a bad day like this, where a lot of people will waste their time scanning this grassy place thanks to Team Rocket. About half an hour passed as the searches continued fruitlessly.

"They hide too well!" Gray wiped the sweat off his brow, his face not hiding the frustration. "Any luck, Lee?"

"Same here. Gray." The trainer was looking virtually everywhere, hidden in patches of tall grass, under rocks, even up in the trees and in the water(he didn't go in, though). "Maybe we should search individually, like the wardens?"

"They're experts! We're barely beginners compared to them, Lee. And Janine explicitly told me to stick together with you." Gray rebutted, clutching Poison Ivy's ball tightly in his hands. "If anything happens, we can protect each other."

"That's true alright."

Still, he could only doubt what he was experiencing. What if this was all a trap, or a distraction? What if this was all a coincidence at the Gene is just similar to the one of Mewtwo's? In fact, at this point the whole adventure seemed too surreal. Team Rocket just, decides to come back, the one time he's out adventuring for the first time as a 10-year old? He felt he could tell his life was a lie and some would believe it without doubt-what had he gotten himself embroiled into?

"Lee!"

Again, the confusing thought process of the boy was broken up by a female voice, and Lee turned around to see Janine running to them as fast as she could.

"Janine! Any progress?" Gray got up from the dirt and turned to the gym leader, now dusty from the continued trek through the zone.

"The wardens may have found an entrance. Stay close with me-I do not want to lose anyone, not today."

"Got it." Lee could only say that in response, feeling helpless at his life feeling so manipulated by the new forces that be in Kanto. But he trudged on-now was not the best time for an existential crisis. They walked for some time, which felt like hours at this point with exhausted legs, to a big trapdoor made out of steel with no discernible writings on it whatsoever, located on the north border of the zone where wardens were now converging.

"That hasn't been there before, has it?" Lee threw the question.

"Nuh-uh. This is a new one, kid, I guarantee you. Probably installed several months ago, I assume, considering the state of the steel." The officer who had found the entrance responded. "There's a tripwire attached to the door that leads into the ground, most likely connected to a buried trap."

"Okay, the others should be bringing the wire cutters." To Lee's fright, Janine, with great deliberation plucked the wire like a guitar, testing its vulnerability to shock.

"Don't touch that!" The trainer yelled out in horror.

"Don't worry, it's a beginners' tripwire system. At least there's one thing we know now: the culprits aren't ninjas." Wiping off the sweat raining down her head, Janine kept a straight face looking at the trap that could burst at any minute. "Shouldn't be too much of a problem, but everyone should stay away to avoid triggering the wires."

"Can I help with defusing?"

Before Lee could say anything, Gray volunteered for assistance in his usual quick-to-act self. The former thought to himself that maybe he shouldn't take lessons from Gray too much, because he saw this as stupidity, volunteering for high-stress situations that one may not be able to handle. Still, if he had the capacity, maybe he could...

"No, stay back, it may be too dangerous for you." Thankfully(for Lee), Janine stopped Gray from doing such tasks, who kept silent as a way of signifying that he understood. "Let the professionals handle it for now."

With Gray at his side, Lee watched the professionals gather at expert speeds, discussing what had to be done about this problem. Personally, he didn't get why they needed them, though; wasn't cutting the wire simple enough? What other results were they expecting to happen when the wire was cut? But Lee was soon to realize that they did not expect one such result happening-when, after much thought, the wardens cut the wire, and immediately, the upper wire, connected to the cover, scraped loudly at the steel trapdoor as it disappeared into a little hole on it! And at that moment, a noise that resembled that of meat sizzling in grease, reverberated in the tunnels beyond the door as a white cloud began to seep out from the untied seams of the gate...

"GAS!"

"Everyone get out!"

Janine yelled at the top of her voice, as the mysterious smoke rapidly spread through the zone, and in the confusion, everyone started running for their lives back to the gate, some even dropping their Pokeballs! But the gas was spreading, and as Gray and Lee followed the others ahead of them, those who lagged behind were consumed by the gas, the horrific screams echoing across the zone-but then, the screams stopped, and even more horrifically were changed into animal-like snarls, and some random shouts that the kids could not understand with the chaos going on. Janine, sprinting ahead, opened the gate for those behind her.

"I'll unlock the emergency cabinets in the Police Station! Everyone go there for gas masks and additional gear, then provide rescue and medical assistance!"

"Come on, we can make it, Lee!" Frantically, Gray shouted, running ahead of Lee who was lagging behind and out of breath. But then, as they neared the gate, Lee saw his friend's stature disappear in a fraction, and he overtook Gray who had tripped!

"Gray!" Quickly turning around, Lee let out his hand. "Come on! We have to-"

"No! Just run!" Quickly, he got up, but realized that with the speed of the gas, he was doomed. "Go!"

"But-"

"You idiot! Just-"

In a moment of regret for both the kids, the gas enveloped them completely while they were stopped, and filled their lungs instead of air, making both of them cough violently! But while one of the figures collapsed, the other, surprisingly, remained standing, his eyes widening at the sight of his fallen friend.

"Lee!" Immediately, Gray dashed over to his friend. "Wake up, wake up! The gas, it's harmless, you're not supposed to-"

But before he could finish his words, Lee immediately snarled and grabbed his neck, strangling him! In panic, Gray struggled and punched Lee in the gut, releasing his grip and making the former back up and fall in the resulting inertia.

"L-Lee! What's wrong with you!?" The boy backed away, as Lee awkwardly got up and started shambling towards him, and so did the other fallen game wardens, emerging from the toxic smoke, converging on him like pack-hunting Pokemon.

"Wha...No, no, not everyone! This can't be happening!" Slowly backing away, Gray started running away from the people, deeper into the zone, his eyes welling up in tears at the confusing situation, as only one thought remained on his mind: Why was I not affected? WHY?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Must kill humans. That was the only thing in Lee's mind as a mysterious voice spoke to him in a charming voice. How they did a terrible thing, meddling with creation. How much pain they put the voice through, constantly changing its body to give pain. How they are all guilty by ignoring all of this. A brown haired human in front of him, who must die, die, die, die. The boy lurched forward, doggedly chasing its target as it ran away.

All must die. The voice kept speaking to him as others who had 'awoken' joined him, as the prey he only remembered as "Gray" ran into the gas, and hid in it away from view. But the horde fearlessly marched into the gas, not afraid-the "gas" taught them the truth, about humans and their propensity to cause pain to Pokemon. Through the smoke, Lee could see this "Gray" open the hatch door-the location the miraculous vapor came from. At the sight, there was a new thundering command from the voice-to stop him. He will prevent the spread of the truth. He must die. Die. The others were with him, too—they were the many. The truth stopper, he is only one.

With instinct taking over, Lee immediately jumped at it, as the enemy dived into the door, but not before being tackled by him! Both fell down a long way into the abyss as the door closed from the impact, and they crashed onto the ground, the impact making both roll away from each other. Down here, it was clear...too clear, the glorious mist was not here. It was then Lee felt the voice in his head, taking over his body for him-so it could spring from its spot, and jump onto the enemy to incapacitate him. But at the same time, something was rising up in his mind, the voice fading as his ears became numb, then silence, before the voice and its will completely disappeared, and crying and shouting filled the void, where he regained his consciousness to find him strangling his best friend with his bare hands. In fear, Lee loosened his grip, and Gray pushed him away using both his hands and feet, throwing him backwards onto the floor.

What was I doing? Was I...trying to kill my own friend!? With the voice gone, all kinds of thoughts plagued his head, as he struggled to get back up on his feet—when he saw his friend crawl his way over to a wooden plank, before getting up and approaching him, wielding the wood in both of his hands!

"I'm sorry, Lee!"

"Wait-!"

Wood splattered all over his head as the impact struck him, and once again, the pain dulled out as the darkness, once again, consumed everything, ending the confusion.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Oh so I missed 22 earlier. Okay, gonna do some quick comments on 22 and 23!

The nightmare in the beginning of 22 I wonder if there's some significant importance of it. Like is it foreshadowing or a kinda flashbackof something? He had a traumatic experience of something? Usually when I write dreams it tends to be one of those things. And oh dear over Lee's injuries. At least it wasn't too critical.

I like the reference of personality tests to determine Pokemon's natures. Hm, so Mewtwo's gene is the cause of the Rhyhorn rampaging? Usually I'm not a fan of that trope used in Pokemon fanfics mostly because I think Mewtwo is totally overrated but I'm willing to see where you'll go with this. Also new Pokemon get. Looking forward to seeing Hardtrack's role in this.

Janine yelled at the top of her voice, as the mysterious smoke rapidly spread through the zone, and in the confusion, everyone started running for their lives back to the gate, some even dropping their Pokeballs! But the gas was spreading, and as Gray and Lee followed the others ahead of them, those who lagged behind were consumed by the gas, the horrific screams echoing across the zone-but then, the screams stopped, and even more horrifically were changed into animal-like snarls, and some random shouts that the kids could not understand with the chaos going on. Janine, sprinting ahead, opened the gate for those behind her.

I feel the sentence that starts "But the gas..." is a bit of a run one and should be broken down into two or more sentences for easier flow.

Not good that Lee was affected by the gas, but luckily it wasn't that long. You handled that scene much better than when the group got hit by the gas, and yes it has to do with less use of exclamation points there. I do wonder how the second part will go.

Years
Chapter 24: Kantonian Venom, Part 2

"GUAH!"

Feeling difficulty in breathing, Lee's eyes shot open as he saw his vision get foggy. Am I dying? That was the first thing that popped up in Lee's mind as he tried to breathe deep again, this time getting a whiff of stale air, but one which was not affecting him like before. As he tried to put his hands on his eyes to erase the blur on his vision, his hands hit something other than skin-something smooth, yet metallic, something with glass over his eyes. At this realization of the garment, his mind went straight into panic mode, and he was about to take this uncomfortable thing off when something grabbed his left hand, a familiar face emerging from the fog in the realization.

"Lee! Don't take it off!" Gray, wearing a medical facemask, shouted as loud as he could, but Lee had other things in his mind.

"You lunatic, you almost killed me! You hit me in the head with wood!"

"I had no choice, okay!? I thought you were still infected with the...thing, inside the gas!" Frustrated by the sudden outburst, Gray could only vent out his anger by shouting at Lee, before sitting down next to him. "Still, I'm glad you are safe. I thought I lost you."

"Yeah...I guess." Still feeling the gas's pent up rage, Lee slowly breathed in intervals, letting the anger dissipate for some time before resuming his talk. "Gray, where are the others? Where did I jump in?"

"They're out there nullifying the affected, knocking them out and strapping gas masks onto them. Janine, she did the same to you, but I explained I was somehow immune and ended up with this mask." Gray tapped Lee in the filter, making an echoing sound in Lee's face garment. "As for this place, I'd say this place surely is the hiding place for whoever is responsible."

"Huh." Lee was slightly baffled at the claim. "What makes you say that?"

"You still sound sour...can't blame you." Gray continued his words, getting up from his seat. "Look around the room, especially to the right."

At his words, Lee looked around the room-thick steel was all around the walls, with several vents placed on them that were presumably shooting out gas a while ago. But the most glaring thing was a bigger steel door tightly closed, probably airtight to avoid friendly fire by their own weapon. There was only one villainous group he knew who could do something this big-Team Rocket. What was going on?

"They're behind that door?"

"Yep, Janine said she was gonna scrounge everything she could to blast through that door without risking the use of Pokemon, and told me to stay with you while she was gone." Gray said, looking up at the closed entrance. "She looked really regretful...she never knew her decision would be this disastrous."

"Who wouldn't be?" Lee sighed, before rubbing his head that was not covered by the gas mask. The gigantic lump caused by the impact still hurt when touched. "I guess we all had to do what we were supposed to do, in that situation...but still, it's gonna take us some time to forgive each other for the, uh, murderous acts we did."

"Yeah...I am sorry about that one. If I had known you were uninfected without the gas, I would have not hit you, I swear."

"I'm sorry too, for trying to kill you earlier. I know it was the gas and all, but still...I was watching the whole thing, maybe I could have at least fought against it now that I think about it."

As both friends looked down in shame of what they did to each other, the sound of the hatch opening got their attention, and Janine, along with a now fully body armor-clad game warden, slid down the ladder with huge satchels and steel shields on their backs. Both had gas masks on which covered their facial features, but Janine's purple hair stood out amongst the black fabric.

"Lee, Gray, back away from the door. We'll be installing the charges now." Janine told the boys as the other warden attached his satchel onto the steel door in the room. "By the way, Lee, are you feeling alright?"

"I'm good, Gym Leader Janine."

"Great, I need everyone in tip-top shape now. Gray, what about you? Still immune?"

"No effects yet."

"Is the situation out there bad?" Lee asked, eyeing the gas that was flowing in through the open bunker door.

"Most have been knocked out and masked. But those who were fast enough to get to the station, and those who have woken up sane, are helping out with the straggling affected." Janine continued surprisingly calmly with a veil of regret, as she stuck her satchel onto the wall. "I really should have seen that coming, there was no way a villainous team was just gonna leave a booby trap that simple."

"We all should have." Lee replied to this monologue, feeling the guilt pervading everyone in the worst time possible.

"I know, but it never gets any easier." Janine responded with a sigh, while checking if the charges were ready. "Getting to be in charge of the gym, and all of the people in the city....it really strains my heart when something bad happens. I guess that's why dad moved to the league, to teach me a lesson about caring for others."

Lee leaned against the wall, thinking how much pressure the people must put on the young gym leader. Koga, he was the famed gym leader for giving what he had for Fuchsia, and he was praised as the best leader the city ever had. When he announced his retirement from his position from gym leader to accept the position of being one of the League's Elite Four, many were uncertain about how Janine, his inexperienced child, would be able to keep up her father's legacy. So far, as far as he's heard from the people, she was doing a decent job, but others complained that she was not doing as good as her father. Heck, there were even rumors about how Koga scolded Janine for trying to be like him and not herself, when she went to the league to deliver Koga his lunch-

"Charges set! Everyone behind the perimeter! You, over there! Stop daydreaming and get behind the shields!"

Having his thought train broken once again by the warden's shout on the risk of the explosive, Lee, following Gray, scrambled behind the explosion-proof shields Janine and the warden was holding in a phalanx position.

"Don't we have to get out!?" Lee asked the warden, not sure if the shields were enough in this size of a room.

"No time for procedures. Just don't look at the explosion, kid!"

And with that, a bright flash emanated from the other side before a gigantic 'boom' came barreling at the people behind the protected shields, in the form of a gigantic backdraft! It made the shield holders slide backwards, and even then the kids behind said shields were almost blown away, before ringing filled everyone's ears.

"GAAAH!"

Never having heard such groundshaking noise before, Lee covered his ears in pain as the ringing continued, his brain only being more focused on the sound. Not wanting to feel any more pain, he immediately shut his eyes as his mind scrambled to find anything other than pain. Skipping through the recent events, he found himself back in his home again, eager without knowing what was about to happen...before the rings subsided, and he opened his eyes. Too late to dwell in the past. Time to move on.

"Did the blast hit hard?" That was the first thing Janine asked him.

"I'm-I'm good." Still, having been shocked by the sound, Lee was slow to act compared to Gray who recovered quicker than him, thanks to blocking his ears in time. "Are we through?"

"Yeah, we're through, but we need to get moving now!" The game warden yelled out, spotting some Rocket underlings make a run for it. "I'll try to secure the felons, Ms. Gym leader! You, kid! The one with the facemask! You're with me, stick close, and do not let Pokemon out of the balls until it's safe!"

"Yes sir!" Gray immediately ran after the warden, before turning around. "Lee, I'm going in! Come quick!"

Chaos reigned supreme in this hideout, as the gas from the outside seeped in through the gigantic opening caused by the explosives, and through it, the sight of a Team Rocket goon falling over before being mauled by her Meowth could be seen as one example of the devastation that swept through the compound. The boy froze in shock at what he was seeing, a show of fear noticed by Janine, silently.

"So our suspicions were correct...we need to capture the important Team Rocket personnel and find out what is going on here before he or she escapes or gets infected." The gym leader firmly held Lee by his shoulders, with a determined face that shook the trainer. "Lee, I know you're surprised, but I need you to help the others! Can you do that?"

"Y-yeah!" Lee bared his teeth, as he felt a sudden jolt of energy strike his body. No time to be shocked, events like this won't care about his state. It was move now or stop dead, quite literally. "I'll catch up with Gray!"

"Go on, I'll sweep things up here and meet up with you and the others as soon as possible!"

Preparing himself to set foot into the murderous gas once again, Lee let out a yell and ran into the gas, his vision unable to see much in the pea souper as he saw human figures moving with silhouettes of what he saw as Pokemon tangled with each other. This is hell. He thought to himself. I am literally in purgatory.

"GRAY!"

Lee shouted for his friend, fruitlessly trying to locate him and the warden. Have they...No, no, they can't be! Gray can make it through this! As all kinds of horrific thoughts circled around in his head while running through the hideout, a Rocket grunt appeared in front of the boy, slumped and having the angry look in his face—he had been affected. Yet the trainer realized his body couldn't stop due to the inertia, even when fully knowing that there was danger ahead of him. The gravity weakened around him, as he went airborne for a split second before the ground came up and slammed into his body, flopping him onto the ground as the affected Rocket goons gathered around him...

"YOU MUST DIE! YOU HAVE CHANGED GENES!"

"DEATH IS THE ANSWER! SO MUCH PAIN CAUSED!"

"WE CAN NEVER GO BACK!"

Is this what I've been saying when I was gassed!? Horrified by the words coming out of the goons, Lee screamed to block the voices out as they grabbed every part of his body. Gripped by fear, he shut his eyes, but soon the grips loosened, and Lee opened his eyes to see them turning away from him, as a shield plowed them out of the way as a bulldozer would, and another lone figure tackled the figures to the ground!

"Gray! Mr. Warden! "

His hope was immediately confirmed as Gray toppled a figure before the game warden smashed into the rest of crowd with a now battered shield.

"Lee!"

The boy ran up to his friend, visibly worried about him having been attacked by the group of mad people.

"You hurt, kid!?"

Without doubt, Lee got up at the game warden's question.

"I'm alright..." Close one, Lee! Not again, ever. The boy thought to himself as he got up on his feet, and looked around at the fallen affected, still having faces that reminded him of their madness. But this had to stop, he couldn't be saved everytime. "Sir, they attack on their own, not with Pokemon...I can't fight against them!"

"We've still got a long way to go, kid!" The warden, with his straight face, pointed at the hallway up ahead that could be barely seen with the gas all around them. "Nearest saferoom's that way, according to the signs around here. If anyone survived sane enough they'll all be escaping to that place, before laying low and escaping. I'll lead the way, so follow me close and listen to what your friend has to say. Gray, was it? Show your friend the basics!"

"Yessir!" Gray ran up to Lee, before guiding him into a nearby corner, which was free of danger, as the warden fought off the affected with his shield. "I know all of this is hard to stomach, but you're the one of the best trainers I know, and I need you to make it out of this for future fights, Lee! Watch me carefully, If one of them comes close to you..."

Gray went back into action to provide an example. Spotting an affected goon with a crippled leg that was slowly approaching them, The trainer kicked her in the left knee sideways, making her lose balance and fall onto her stomach.

"...you have do that! Think you can do it?"

"O-okay." Right. Sideways, in the knee, any knee. "Let's...go."

"Damn straight." The game warden held up his battered shield. "Let's move it, kids! On me!"

"Lee, on that one!" Lee, at that moment, traced the direction of Gray's finger to an affected coming for the group at 2 o'clock!

"Okay...incoming!"

Sideways. In the knee. The thoughts remained in Lee's head as he tried to do exactly what he was supposed to do. With slight clumsiness due to being a beginner, he swung his right leg to the left, tackling the affected grunt to the ground. She struggled to get up in the shock, and before Lee could ask if this was enough, the adult's hand grappled around his left wrist tight and dragged him toward the group's intended direction as more affected appeared behind them.

All hell broke loose, as now, those affected by the gas were bursting in through every pore of the compound. Yet, the warden and the two kids behind him soldiered on, despite the horror that was worming their way into their ears and eyes, threatening to kill them all for crimes they did not understand. The affected coming up in front ran headlong into the steel shield of the warden, and with a bloodcurdling crack, fell onto the ground. The situation from the sides was even more horrifying, as the frightened kids kicked at anything that came for them, and once one of the affected was down on his stomach or back, the others, too focused on the targets, tripped over the bodies of the fallen, with devastating results that involved flying teeth. But despite the bloodshed and the slow progress forward, more kept coming, and exhaustion soon took over the bodies of the unaffected...

"There's too many of them!" Gray shouted out, in a frantic voice as he could see nothing but crazy people in front of him.

"Gray, behind you!"

It was too late as a rogue one attacked from behind, and Lee could only watch in horror as it attacked Gray quickly before he had any chance for a good kick. The madman slammed him against the wall, holding the boy by the hair despite his shouts of pain...

"KILL YOU, KILL ME, WE ALL MUST PAY FOR OUR SINS!"

"Ahh! LEE!"

"Get off him-" Before Lee could dash over to his buddy, an affected duo grabbed him from the side and pushed him into the game warden, causing the shield holder to collapse when all the gassed victims were pushing against the shield! The trainer's glasses were knocked away in the scuffle, and everything in his line of sight went blurry. What he saw as the game warden turned into a black and blue mush on the ground fighting against other black, white and red figures, all the while a green smudge-what he could only surmise as Gray-pushed away the other figure holding it. As the crazy figures took over the blurred fighters, and the trainer thought to himself, that this was the end...a dart came flying at one of the affected goons and hit them in the neck, immediately putting him into a deep sleep as Lee backed away while picking up his glasses! His sight regained, Lee saw in the air, the darts slashing through the air and hitting the affected Rocket member that was holding Gray, making it possible for him to strike the falling figure. And soon, the burden off the game warden was unloaded as the dart-riddled Team Rocket members fell off the shield, with Gray's help in it too. All looked in the direction the darts came flying, to see Janine running toward them with a blowgun in her hands.

"Tell me I wasn't too late!"

"Just in time, Ms. Gym Leader!" The bodies slid off the shield as the game warden righted it, back into his hands. "Are you hurt in any way?"

"Just a few scratches from the peoples nails, that'll buff out." Lee could see that the crazies did a number on her, with some light scratches on her arms and neck, with her ninja clothes, including her socks, ripped and showing parts of her body. But overall, her ninja mastery had allowed her to survive all this, an amazing feat by a single person, considering what the group of three had gone through.

"Lee, Gray, are you alright?

"Yeah...that one almost got me though." Gray, now free from the grasp, kicked in frustration the unconscious body of the affected that had been holding him a while ago. "Why is this happening! Why!"

"Good news, Gray...I think we can ask that real soon."

Running his hands across his gas mask, Lee replied to Gray before turning to the destination they had reached—the entrance to the clean rooms, protected by a simple scan system but having armored doors and glass, impervious to any threat. Except man. The boy turned to the game warden.

"Sir, could you..."

"Already on it, kid."

Quickly, the guard put down his shield and dragged over a Rocket goon's body, before lifting him up and smashing his face into the face scanner, then putting his right hand on the device next. Recognizing the familiar figure by its algorithm, the door opened and the decontamination shower at the entrance automatically turned on, which dissipated the incoming gas in a stream of water and prevented outside contamination. Unconsciously, Lee found his hands curling into fists, his mind immersed in anger at the Rockets' readiness and ruthlessness: They had prepared all this, they knew the people of justice were coming to stop their plans for world domination. And all that preparation put, what he could only imagine, most of the town's population into the hospitals, never to awaken sane unless this situation was solved.

"I guess it's safe now?" Gray asked as the shower ended, and the door ominously closed and secured behind the group, to prevent gas seeping in through the seams.

"Judging by this decontamination shower, I think we are clear." The warden remarked, before taking off his gas mask and breathing the air, irking Lee and making him wonder whether that conjecture was based on professional skills or just immature bravado. "Yep, I'm not going insane anytime soon. Everyone take off masks and get your Pokemon out, it's time for payback with something we're good at."

"He's right, we're in the clear. Everyone take off their masks and have their Pokemon ready." Janine commanded, still somehow keeping her cool with methods the other three never understood.

What followed was a brief moment of being free from facial bondage, at least for Lee, who had felt his breathing become contricted when wearing the gas mask. Rubbing his face, he took a deep breath and filled his lungs with fresh air available in this emergency compartment, enjoying himself of being actually sane enough to enjoy it—before the gym leader turned to her subordinate.

"Disable the entrance."

"What!?" This command surprised both boys as they blurted out the same words, at the same time. Regardless, following her orders, the game warden ripped out the cover of the doorpad with brute strength, before ripping out the wires. This downed its systems, ensuring the door stayed closed.

"Wait, wait, hold it! Don't we need to get out after this?" Lee asked as questions popped up about this seemingly absurd order.

"Yeah, I'm with him." Gray, confused, grabbed his head with his right hand, trying to understand the logic of this strategy. "We're trapping ourselves!"

"That is the plan." Janine closed her eyes and started talking, while tidying her hair that had been poofed up by the gas mask. "We can always get out safely after the gas has passed, or others can come rescue us when I send a signal. The Rockets, though-this is their last line of defense for whatever they planned this time. There is no one coming to help them, nor do they have many alternate ways out of here."

"Wha...?"

"Wait, does that mean...?"

"Yep. We're not locked in here surrounded by them; They're locked together with us. Until we find all the information we need, there's no way we're leaving, nor are we going to let anyone out."

Last edited:
Years
Chapter 25: Kantonian Antidote

???

"Nothing there?"

"Nope."

Both Lee and Gray checked their third rooms with disappointing results, these ones being empty. The first two rooms had petty Team Rocket goons in them and were of no interest, and from what he could hear across the hallway, Janine and the accompanying game warden's searches was also fruitless. Could this mean that no executives made it here? No, there had to be someone. The town can't stay in gas forever, and to prevent this from happening again the knowledge to what this gas is. The yell of a Rocket grunt as the game warden threw him out of the room echoed across the hall, before the hit on the ground rendered him unconscious.

"Darn it! Nothing." The armored guard grumbled and punted the knocked-out grunt, making him utter a pained "oooh" before he was rendered unconscious again. "Nothing here, Ms. Gym Leader."

"Keep looking. There should be more people, I'm sure of it!"

Janine replied, kicking open a door, this time with a female grunt inside. And immediately, she let out a sharp scream, and continued to keep screaming at the breach as she staggered backwards against the wall! Lee and Gray quickly ran over to Janine hearing the noise, only to realize that it wasn't, this time, their allies who needed help.

"Oh, Arceus help me...We're normal, we're not here to kill you!......I need you to stop screaming! It's gonna alert-darn it, Shut up! SHUT UP! SHUT UP, YOU ROCKET! I TOLD YOU TO SHUT UP!"

Lee stood there in shock at seeing the warden snap, as he grabbed the screaming female and shook her to "calm" her down while Janine struggled to actually calm him down. What more could be worse than seeing your whole town with its people be exposed to crazy gas, then being forced to fight through them in life-or-death situations, only for the enemy to act like a wussy barricade to everyone's progress? He knew the situation was to be mad at, and that the goon was evil. but this wasn't it. This wasn't right!

"Get off her, mister!" Lee protested and grabbed the guard's right arm, trying to stop his mistreatment of the woman.

"Get off me!" But with a swing of his arm, the warden knocked Lee backwards, causing the boy to take a few backward steps in the ensuing force before hitting the door on the other side. He let out a yelp in pain before he slid down, losing his balance.

"Lee!"

Gray called out, worried at the beating his friend had just taken.

"Go to hell, woman! You destroyed our town and poisoned our people! I'll make sure-hnng!-you...seee......Aaarrceuuusss........."

His voice faltered off as he lost grip on the Team Rocket grunt and dropped to the ground, a tranquilizer dart sticking out of his neck. Janine, out of ammunition, threw the blowgun away, leaving the female Rocket goon to sob while sitting on the ground.

"There was no stopping him." Janine shook her head in what she had just seen, a good man turned monster because he thought he had lost everything. "I had no choice."

"I know." Gray replied with a sad voice, helping his friend up as he rubbed his head. "But I wish things could have been different."

"Ow...And still no sign of the people we need. This is a nightmare..." Lee crossed his arms, unsatisfied with the situation and now having been attacked by a friendly. Everyone was on their edge now, and who knew what was happening up there on the surface. Maybe the situation got worse, and just maybe, they've lost it while they're in here. That was the last thing that needed to happen, considering the way things were going in here. Until comms could be reestablished by getting out of this underground place, no one will know what has been going on outside for the last several hours.

"Gray, I'll need some help over here." Lee could only watch with bitterness as Janine grabbed one of the legs of the fainted game warden. "We need to confine him in another room before he wakes up again. She may be a minion of an evil organization, but she's terrified out of her wits and for now she needs protection."

"Oh, I, uh...Okay." Reluctantly, Gray made his way into the room, where the female grunt was still sobbing profusely. God knows what happened to her, or what she has seen in this cesspool of lunacy, but she was broken and that's all that mattered right now. "Lee, while I'm moving him with Janine, could you check that room? I think I heard something."

"Got it."

With a short answer, Lee got over to the room Gray pointed, while looking back to see Janine and Gray dragging the heavy body of the game warden out of the room, all the while, the dreaded sobbing of the woman inside provided a sort of background theme to the whole thing. He couldn't help but keep turning back with his eyes shaking-but this scenery was getting too creepy for him. As if trying to find a way out of this horror, the trainer quickly opened the door of the room and went in, and slammed the door shut to kill the dreaded ambience. No good being scared here, Lee. He breathed slowly while looking to his side, hoping that the mundane concrete looks of the room will help him erase the scene from his mind.

"I've been expecting you."

At the sudden hearing of the words, Lee immediately reared his head at the sound of the voice, surprised that there actually was someone here. Pink hair, short-sleeved black Team Rocket clothing with purple sneakers...the boy could recognize the clothing choice anywhere. It was her.

"Wh-" Quickly, Lee made a straight face. He showed too much of his weak side last time and someone in Team Rocket was sure to use that against him sometime. "What are you doing here?" But something in his mind told him, now was the worst moment to be wasting time. In the face of an extermination of a city, personal vendettas could wait as far as he was concerned. "Janine! Gray!"

"Don't even think about it. This is between you and me." Belle aimed Flame's Pokeball at Lee. "Not that they'll have the time to care. My parents will be engaging them."

It was then the trainer realized that he could faintly hear battling sounds outside the door. Although the sounds were too muffled to tell which one was commanding, he could hear the high-pitched cries of a Raticate and an Arbok, and the ensuing attacks made some dust rain down in the room.

"Just between you and me, I have to say that they'll lose because they're too stupid to care for their own Pokemon." Belle cynically spat out her words. "But they'll make enough time for me and you."

"Did you plan this?" Lee couldn't help but ask about this malicious "trap".

"Only me. Dad and mom, they're just responding to the cry of one of us-who I guided to the room when things hit the fan."

"And why are you challenging me, no, ONLY me, now?"

"I guess you could say...it's complicated." Belle walked closer to Lee, but stopped at about a meter away and kept her distance. "You're messing with Team Rocket's plans, and you know I don't like that. But at the same time, as I see you and your Pokemon, I think, maybe they're wrong...maybe having the Pokemon that love you is a better drug than cliche revenge and world domination."

"Huh, really?" Baffled at the conceived process of a change of thought, for someone who, as far as he knew, was related to the high-ranking members of Team Rocket, Lee asked in a skeptical tone, his face still remaining a frown at the look of his perceived enemy.

"Well, whatever happens, I can't say you're wrong. Your Pokemon-that Wartortle of yours-gives you strength to fight against Team Rocket, but at the same time, knowing his weaknesses, humbles you away from being the headstrong idiot you were when you fought against us."

That part irked the boy into taking a step back, while baring his teeth in anger at the burn.

"Likewise, I look at Flame, and he loves me back whatever happens, even if it includes losing against you." Belle continued, her only Pokeball starting to shake at the perceived hostility before she patted it back into calmness. "There, there, you'll get the chance. So, here's what I'm offering-we do this the traditional way. You and me, our first Pokemon only. If you win, I'm out of this operation, maybe I'll even think more about your ideas."

"And if I lose?"

"I'll make you accept the ideals of the world I'm currently in." She pulled something out of her pocket and threw it in front of Lee, which landed with a metallic clang on the floor. A chill passed through Lee's spine as he looked down in disgust, at the pair of handcuffs on the floor. "In other words, I turn you in for mind warping and probably get a promotion. "

"......"

"...Well?"

"...Bring it."

Team Rocket Daughter Belle wants to Battle!

"Take him down, Flame!"

"Get out there, Hydro!"

The balls popped mid-air, letting out the Charizard and Wartortle to face each other. Flame grinned with arrogance as Hydro growled at the show of force, realizing the level advantage/disadvantage.

"Flame, use Flamethrower!"

"Hydro, Withdraw!"

Belle's Charizard let out a steady stream of flame at the command, and Hydro barely climbed into his shell for protection. The attack charred the turtle shell, but the Pokemon sustained little damage thanks to the protection.

"Stay in there, Hydro!" Lee called out, thinking that it was not going to be pretty if Hydro was hit at full force, even with the typing.

"I'm done with you! Flame, Air Slash!"

Flying low in the confined space of the room, the Charizard sent out a blade of air by flicking its wing. As the slicing wind hit the shell, it tumbled Hydro around the room, making him ricochet off the wall on Lee's side, and off the ceiling at high speeds! Seeing the opening, the trainer quickly formulated a plan.

"Hydro! Water Pulse, aim for the ground!"

Hearing the commands, the Wartortle nodded in the shell, and it was then the shell's trajectory changed, aiming for the ground at a much steeper angle.

"He's planning something! Flame, brace yourself!"

Tossing an X Defense for her Pokemon, Belle focused her eyes on Hydro, as he suddenly rebounded off the ground and headed straight for Flame! The Charizard, having boosted defense thanks to the X Defense, landed on the ground and guarded his body with his hands for maximum stability.

"NOW!"

At Lee's orders, Hydro speedily popped out from the shell and fired the Water Pulse mid-air, which headed straight at the Charizard before letting out a tremendous burst of water mid-air. At this attack, Flame lost his composure at the explosive flow of the water, and was pushed backwards into the wall on Belle's side, before Hydro crashed into him right in the mouth, making Flame cry out a pained roar right after a part of its tooth fell onto the ground after a crack! But the battle was not over yet-out of control, Hydro tumbled mid air, before rolling a few times on the ground roughly, landing upwards on its back, the result making Lee's glee at the attack hitting turn into a shocked frown, seeing his Turtle Pokemon make troubled cries as it struggled to flip itself onto its feet.

"Nice one, but now it's my turn!" Belle smiled, seeing that the enemy Pokemon had been immobilized. She quickly used a Super Potion. "Charizard, ready?"

"Char! Charizard!" The Flame Pokemon, empowered by his trainer, roared out a trail of flame in happiness, which scared Lee briefly when the fire spread out across the low roof, setting the whole ceiling on fire for some seconds.

"Hydro, can you get up!?" Lee knew he had to regain the advantage in mobility somehow, seeing that he was outclassed in firepower to a Pokemon in its final evolution form. But all that Hydro could do was to flail around, trying to shift the balance somehow to flip himself over without any visible success.

"Flame, use Wing Attack!"

"Char!" Spreading his wings, Flame swung his right wing backwards before swinging the entire thing at Hydro, hitting him hard while also scooping him up into the air. This was immediately followed with a command for Air Slash, which was used by the Charizard to slash Hydro mid-air, putting him into a spin when he landed on his back!

"Hydro! No!" Lee bared his teeth, seeing Hydro helplessly be at the mercy of Flame.

"Let's finish this! Flamethrower!"

Belle shouted at her Charizard, who nodded at the order and charged up an attack before exhaling a jet of flames onto the flipped, spinning Hydro—Not only did the fire hurt the Pokemon, but the stream of air caused by the heat started controlling the movement direction of the spinning Wartortle! The Pokemon was launched at the nearby wall at the speed of a spinning top, and fused with the momentum of the spin, the body of the Turtle Pokemon dug into the concrete for a few seconds before the hard shell made direct contact, destroying the wall, sending chunks of asbestos at both battlers before the area was covered in the smoke of concrete powder.

"HYDRO!" Having seen the impact, Lee hurriedly scurried over to the scene of the impact, where he saw nothing but a large pile of debris from the caved-in wall, much bigger than the size of the Wartortle. No, no, no, no. Shaking his head, the boy could feel tears fall down his cheeks as he started to clear the top of the debris, which seemed insignificant compared to the size of the pile.

"Huh, that was a pretty fun one." Belle walked over to Lee. "But the deal's a deal, and your Pokemon is just about dead. Let's go-"

"No! He's not dead! HYDRO!" Ignoring the statement of the rival, the trainer ferociously replied, fighting back his tears while he kept digging the debris pile for his Pokemon, without any progress. "Come on! Please!"

"Do I need to do everything myself?" The girl picked up the handcuffs from the ground and grabbed Lee's shoulder. "Come with me or I'll-"

"GET OFF ME!"

Enraged, Lee pushed away Belle, making her fall backwards onto the ground and yelp out in pain. Her Pokemon, seeing her in trouble by a hostile, roared out in rage and fired a stream of fire toward Lee! But just as the trainer turned to face the fire coming at him, an unfamiliar clang sounded from the pile, and when Lee looked down...

...The last thing Lee remembered was the gigantic blast of water completely drenching his body, which made him fall backwards onto the floor as something hot surrounded him for a few seconds, before he landed on the ground completely dry. Down on the ground, the boy focused his attention and looked up, to see a steel cannon rising from the mound! Seeing this, Flame roared at it, only for it to fire a concentrated orb of Water Pulse at the Charizard's mouth while it was open, resulting in a dull exploding sound in him before Flame coughed repeatedly, falling onto its knees in the process.

"Wh-What!?" Slowly, Belle got off the ground, shocked at what she was seeing.

"Hydro...?"

Lee, too, was in disbelief as the massive pile shook, and concrete pieces rolled onto the floor. Another cannon emerged from the debris, and with it, a brown pillbox from which the two guns were sticking out from. Gigantic blue arms with sharp claws thrusted out of that pillbox, and a monstrous head resembling a tank reared out of the fortress, completely removing the rubble and revealing a completely new Pokemon wrapped in armor. It used its two frontal arms to thrust himself up on its feet, before stopping himself from flipping over by thrusting out its gigantic tail from the shell.

"What is that!?" Frightened by the terrifying statue that was alien to his Pokemon, Lee quickly took out and activated his Pokedex to see what this monstrosity was.

Blastoise, the Shellfish Pokemon. The rocket cannons on its shell fire jets of water, capable of punching holes through thick steel at 50 meters. Evolved form of Squirtle.

"That's Hydro!? Wha-" Confused yet jubilated at his Pokemon's new form, Lee began laughing in shock. "H-haha! I-I thought the final form would look a lot more cuter!"

"It doesn't matter! Flame, attack it-Flare Blitz!"

"Blastoise!" With a bellowing cry, Hydro looked back at his trainer, as Flame, at the girl's command, charged up a fire attack to strike the Pokemon.

"What? Oh, right!" Realizing the situation, Lee immediately snapped out of his shock and took out a Hyper Potion. "I got you, Hydro!"

Charging at the Blastoise with the attack maxed out, Flame crashed into Hydro with the fully focused Blitz and sustained some damage in the process. However, thanks to Lee's medicine, Hydro took the attack with ease.

"Hydro, use Water Pulse! Both barrels!" Now knowing a bit more about his Blastoise, Lee pointed at Flame, setting the water cannons for direct fire at the enemy. "Fire!"

And at his command, Hydro blasted his left barrel first, hit Flame in the left wing, before a follow up shot from the right side cannon hit the right wing. Without pause, the rate of fire got faster, and the ensuing shots hit more areas, including both legs, eyes, head, and even in the crotch! The Charizard could not handle more of this, soon collapsing when airbursts of water struck his neck and tail, the two most important parts of the Charizard. In pain and having suffered elemental moves to boot, Flame fell backwards on his back, his eyes now in swirls, knocked out from the furious attack.

"I'm not losing...not to scum like you!" Lee spoke, filled with determination and rage at his Pokemon almost being lost forever, as Hydro stood by him.

"...Huh." With a frustrated face, Belle put Charizard back in his ball, admitting defeat. "Yeah, you got me at the last second. The operation's a bust, I'm leaving."

"Not so fast. One more question." Lee blocked the exit on his side. "The gas. Tell me."

"You can't ask me like that!"

"Does it look like I'm asking you!?" The boy yelled out in rage, as his Blastoise aimed the cannons at the girl too. "There are people suffering out there because of you! Answer me!"

"...Huh, you actually care for village people...?" Belle had a smirk on her face, as if she was jeering Lee for doing so. "Alright, I lost the battle anyway. The gas...as far as I know, it's the vaporized version of the liquid used in the first Mewtwo's incubation."

"The "first" Mewtwo?" No matter how many times he had heard that, Lee couldn't help but be surprised. "What more do you know?"

"Other than the boss is planning something about another Mewtwo, I dunno! You're barking up the wrong tree, Lee, and my parents won't tell a thing."

"And how do you even know my name!?" Lee barely stopped himself from grabbing Belle's collar.

"Hey, if you think you can stay anonymous when you've told your name to the leader, you are truly stupid." The Rocket girl shook her head. "Well, I'm out of here."

"Wait, where do you think you're going!?"

The trainer asked puzzled as Belle started heading for the opposite end of the room, but his question was soon answered when she put her hand against the other side's wall, making a glass wall rise in the middle of the room and separating the two people!

"HEY!" Immediately Lee ran up and pounded at the barrier, but it still stood strong. Hydro, with his own will, fired a Water Pulse at it, only for it to go "splat" against it and just drench the glass.

"COME BACK HERE!"

The trainer could only watch as the girl escaped using a hidden door in the wall, leaving only him in the room to pound on the glass one last time before turning back. Without a word he put Hydro back in his ball, heading out the door expecting a similar outcome.

"Lee!" Gray immediately ran up to him as soon as he came out of the room. "The Rocket couple-Bonnie and Clyde, was it? They battled us and just escaped using a glass barrier!"

"Yeah, same thing happened to me too. For me it was that girl of theirs..."

"They planned everything...This is unbelievable!" Even Janine had lost her cool at this level of planning. "We were so close to finding out about the gas!"

"Not quite...I heard something from Belle."

"Belle?" Gray asked, never having had the opportunity to learn her name.

"The girl. She came to rob the Professor some time ago, I learned her name then." Lee started explaining what he had heard. "It was all so simple. The gas-it was just poisonous mist. And it was in limited quantity too."

"So...the stuff that's up there, that's everything they had?" The gym leader asked, wanting to confirm.

"As far as I know, that should be it."

"That explains everything!" The gym leader snapped her finger in sudden realization of a solution. "Then the solution becomes even more simple. I've cleared Poison Gas after battles using water, since gas is a vaporized version of the liquid or powder substance that had toxicity. If my hunch is right, we can water down this poisonous mist. There's the matter of cleaning up the remains, but it'll take care of the problem that is now."

"Is there anything we can help with?" Gray asked.

"You're a good person, Gray." Janine praised the kid, giving him a walkie-talkie and a kunai. "Wedge the door open with the kunai. Get back to the entrance and radio the ground crews. Tell them to commandeer every fire hydrant, firetruck, just about anything that can spray out Water. And close the door when you get out-we need time to put our masks on again."

"Got it!"

The remaining two people watched as Gray put the facemask on again, and wedged the door open by forcing the kunai through the gap. Both said no words until he forcefully closed the door again, and disappeared from their sights.

"Lee." Janine approached Lee, now looking down at the floor, not feeling good about the potential implications this whole matter would bring. "What was really in that gas?"

"......Mewtwo water."

"What?"

"The incubation fluids...left over from the creation of the first Mewtwo." Barely, the trainer got the words out of his mouth, before he was overtaken by this undescribable feeling, that something was happening out of his control now-No, something happening, that was once controllable by him, but now completely out of his reach, now snowballing into an incident that was hurting everyone around him. The dreaded fear soon overtook him again, and no matter how hard Lee tried to fight it, it still pervaded his mind and caused paranoia to pop out from his senses. "I'm scared, Janine. I don't know what's going on anymore..."

"......"

"...Why is this happening to us?"

"...I wish I had an idea."

Without no further words, both figures locked their arms around each other, as the world around them continued in an endless tumult.

Bay

Years
Okay, so I did notice you posted Ch 24 but didn't get to it immediately as I was busy judging for the Get Together and wanted to take a short break from commenting for a bit. I was about to comment on 24 but you also just updated, so another catch up post I suppose!

Poor Janine having to not only become a gym leader but also oversee Fuchsia City and being compared to her father at such a young age. I'm sort of mix when gym leaders become "default" mayors since being a mayor is a tough job and many gym leaders have a second job/career they're also focusing on. Her plan for her, Gray, and Lee locked up with the Rockets I feel will have some setbacks coming up.

Oh geez over the game warden's rampage there. And oh, hi Belle. There were still an occasional exclamation point here and there during their battle, but overall I enjoyed it. Huh seemed Bella's starter evolved pretty quickly there. And woo, Hydro evolving too.

Last edited:
Years
Okay, so I did notice you posted Ch 24 but didn't get to it immediately as I was busy judging for the Get Together and wanted to take a short break from commenting for a bit. I was about to comment on 24 but you also just updated, so another catch up post I suppose!

Poor Janine having to not only become a gym leader but also oversee Fuschia City and being compared to her father at such a young age. I'm sort of mix when gym leaders become "default" mayors since being a mayor is a tough job and many gym leaders have a second job/career they're also focusing on. Her plan for her, Gray, and Lee locked up with the Rockets I feel will have some setbacks coming up.

Oh geez over the game warden's rampage there. And oh, hi Bella. There were still an occasional exclamation point here and there during their battle, but overall I enjoyed it. Huh seemed Bella's starter evolved pretty quickly there. And woo, Hydro evolving too.

Thanks for the feedback once again! Few things to point out, though. One, the girl's name is Belle. And Two, Flame evolved before Chapter 18/19(Corporate Siege). But other than that, your input is always a guiding beacon to me! I'll try to flesh out my story more like always.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Oh, sorry about that typo. I should've double checked before posting that oops. Went and fixed that haha. And good luck with the next chapter!

Back