• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Starter Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
While i've been looking around the forums, im not seeing many Mystery Dungeon games around the site, so i've decided to make my own starter kit for RMVX!
Basically, this kit will have everything you need to create your own mystery dungeon games in rmvx, and maybe at some point, rmxp.

My question is, would anyone use it?
I mean i would, thats why i'm making it lol

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Progress so far:

Tiles - 20%
Music - 100% (Will distribute without music)
Sprites - 1%
Scripts - 25%
Sound Effects - 0%
Random data (attacks etc.) - 0%

I will distribute the project without music, because it bumps up the project size by about 380mb. Eventually, i will get all the music in MIDI format which will decrease the filesize dramatically.
But yeah, would anyone use this starter kit if i released it?

Credits:

Various PMD2 Buildings - mosssky

A note on Scripting:

If you want to start learning how to script for RMXP or RMVX, i have written a series of tutorials on my site.
You're welcome to come and look through them and start learning :D
http://www.planetdev.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Support:

Spoiler:

Beta Testers

mosssky
dream's-epilogue
carmaniac
poeman
Lucarios aura

ALL PLACES FILLED

Features in the first Demo

Hopefully a fully functioning menu
Working shop
A few maps
Diagonal Movement - by Woratana
Extra Movement frames - by Woratana
Fully functioning title screen

Last edited:

dream's-epilogue

Worthless
Years
Depends. I RM in my spare time (though nothing I'd be willing to share.) If you can actually pull it off, then, yeah. I'd use it. I'm sure a few others would, too.

But, it doesn't seem like you're very far, yet. Admittedly, I haven't posted here much, but it seems lackluster to post without at least some sort of sample or preview. If you can actually get some screenshots (or even better, a beta or even an alpha, so people would know you're serious), that might get you more followers.

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
I don't see anything wrong making a mystery dungeon kit.
I would use it if you are able to pull this off, since I was planning on making a game like it.
One question, are you going to script a battle system so that the view and moves set are like mystery dungeon as, it does need to have some sort of sub script for the battle view.

Wish you good luck.

Years
Well i'm planning on making it as close to the official games as i can.
It'll take some work, but i'm pretty sure i can do it ^^

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
If I can finish off learning some scripting I might try make some parts of a battle system :)
Kinda hard learning it though.

Years
Sorry for the double post, but i'm updating so figured it was ok...
Anyways, first post has been updated with screenshots, and i'm getting somewhere with the tiles finally.
I have most of the autotiles done, im just adding in all of the extras. Most of the default RMVX tiles will be available, but they will be just random ones in a heap of PMD tiles.
Also, scripting is going well, as i've made the two title screens, well 3...and i've made a start on the battle system.
Admittedly, there isn't much to show in the screenshots by way of scripts, so you'll just have to take my word for it :)

~Kian~

Spriter In The Making
Years
looks cool this looks good even though i didnt like these games (when your pokes) id still play this 1 though

~kian

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
PMD Starter Kit

Just looking at the 3rd screenshot don't you think mudkips a bit small in comparison to the buildings?

Years
Yeh that mudkip is just my testing sprite, i'm making the sprites so they have more than the default 3x4 frames, so all sprites pictured in the screenshots will be edited soon :D

Plus, the Pokemon Square is done by way of parallax mapping.
If you dont know what that is, then its where you load a parallax into the editor, and place passability tiles where the player cant walk etc.

As well as having lots of Parallax maps already made for you, i will be making tilesets so that you can create your own maps.

Years
I am definitely supporting this project. I was actually trying to make a Mystery Dungeon game...but I gave up lol. Just a thought, shouldn't you use PMD2 graphics instead of PMD1? In my opinion they look better, and more up to date.

Edit: Sadly...the only thing I don't like about it is that its for RMVX...

Years
@mosssky - yeah thats a picture as the map :)

@Soul.//Silver - Thanks for your support ^^, the only thing is, if i made this kit for XP, i would have to make all the parallax maps into actual tilesets, and that could take up to a week just to get a few to the right size. Oh and yes, i will be putting PMD2 graphics in as well as PMD1, just so that there's pretty much everything for you guys :D

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
PMD2 Starter Kit

Thats it im decided im gonna support this project i have always prefered PMD to the other games.

Years
Woo! my first actual supporter lol.
By the way guys, if any of you are good at making graphics or sprites etc. i could really use the help to get all the sprites done.
The sprites have to be in the standard RMXP format(4x4 frames).
So thanks to anyone who helps, and if your work is included in the project(which it probably will) i will of course put your names in the credits list.

Hopefully i'll be able to update you all later with screenshots of the menu ^^

Years
Tbh, i like rmvx better, it seems smoother to me when you run it.
Although it does have some event commands missing that were in XP, you can easily remedy that with a script by someone, cant remember who :/

Anyways, UPDATE :D
I'm starting to make the tiles now, these include:
Huts,
Trees,
Water,
Aaand some random objects :P

So expect some more screenies later :D

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
I have a few of the PMD2 buildings by themselves but they are not resized yet as i can't do resizing. I added the Kecleon shop as an attachment.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks! Thats a great help!
I'll just go add that into the tileset now ^^
If anyone else has anymore PMD resources, please 'donate' them. Atm, i'm getting all my stuff from The Spriters Resource, which is good, but they dont have everything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back