• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Name Meanings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eig

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 30, 2008
I think the name for Gulpin is like that: Somewhere in the R/S/E/FR/LG Pokedex there was a description of Gulpin. I remember a small element that says "It can disgest even scrap metal", so i think it's Gulp + Pin.

BlackCharizard

Black Charizard
Years
In read almost that whole list and noticed that also forgotton was:

Aerodactly - also comes from the anciet flying dinosaur, the Terodactly (Not sure on spelling)
Mew - also is a word, mostly used in Japan, meaning something small or cute.
Gyarados - Gyro (As in "gyroscope" a spinning item used in airplanes and as toys. I think it means because gyarasod is so big and can spiral around itself like a snake.) + dos (Spanish word for "two". Beacuse he is a second stage)
Milotic - Could come from the word "Mitotic" Which is the process of cell division. And since feebas is completely different and ugly maybe this is what it means... :\

Years
I was think Magikarp as in Magi (Magic shortened down) because of how he 'Magically' transorms into gyarados and Karp (Carp = Fish)

Also, Bayleef is a mispelling of Bayleaf, a common spice ^^

Landon

Pokemon Academy Trainer
Years
Thats realy cool. But some of them i think need some work. Im to lazy to check but are all the pokemon acounted for?

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
Years
Gyarados= Gyser + ''Radeau'' (French for ''Oar'', thus relating to the Oarfish, which shares Gyarados' long, snake-like body) + Adolescent

With the Oarfish relation, and the Gyser and Adolescent signifying its explosive temperment

Another theory:

Gyarados= Gyro (since it's a Flying-type as well) + Radical

Meh...just guessin' here.

Fantasy

Princess of Tennis
Years
Wouldn't Vulpix also be from the Latin word "Vulpix", which means fox? There's also a contellation called Vulpix that looks like a fox.
And Gyarados might be "Gya" (as in "Gya! (insert some mad words here)!" since it's a "mean" PKMN) and rad as in "That's so totaly rad!". Os is a mouth-like opening, and boy does Gyarados have a large mouth (what big teeth you have)...I may be wrong on this, though.

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 19, 2010
For flygon i have a theory
Flygon = Fly + dragon ==> Dragonfly
Look at it's eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back