• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nickname Thread

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
  • Post good Nicknames you have made for Pokemon in ANY game here.

I hardly ever nickname ANY Pokemon, but I might start doing it again.

I'll start with some ideas for all 12 starters.

Bulbasaur: Aphrodite
    Charmander: Firaga
    Squirtle: Kappa
    Chikorita: Bronto
    Cyndaquil: Nux
    Totodile: Leviathan
    Treecko: Godzilla
    Torchic: Biyomon
    Mudkip: Timmy
    Turtwig: Dante
    Chimchar: Hanuman
    Piplup: Stalin

Dark Banette

♫♫♫♪♪
    Years
  • I don't nickname my Pokemon a lot. But I remember these two:
    Lucario: Anubis (Lucario is based off an Egyption God named Anubis. I thought it would fit it well.)
    Banette: Agatha (Because of the Elite Four person. She seems ghostly. o.o)

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • I usually add an "-ey, or -y" to my pokemon

Like...

Charmander = Charmy
    Bulbasaur = Bulby
    Squirtle = Squirty

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • I nickname all the Pokemon I use for battling.

• Swampert: Clay (Mud and water make clay. And clay is pretty sturdy, like Swampert.)
    • Weavile: Acrylle (Short for acryllics, which has something to do with manicures. Acrylle has long nails, and is a girl, so why not.)
    • Lucario: Duster (Named after Lucas' dog in Mother 3. Lucas kinda sounds like Lucario, as well.)
    • Slowbro: Largo (Musical term for extremely slow tempo. This one should be obvious.)
    • Rhyperior: Mason (Masonry refers to extremely well cut stone/ solid stones, which works well with Rhyperior's sturdiness.)
    • Blissey: Angie (She kinda looks angelic, I guess.)
    • Infernape: Sims (Simian -> Sims.)
    • Dragonite: Herman (After Herman Li, lead guitarist of Dragonforce.)
    • Porygon-Z: Epilepsy (I shouldn't have to explain this one.)

Last edited:

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    Here are my nicknames, I personally like mine :D

Alakzam - Einstein
    -
    This is based off of the Pokemon type Alakazam (The IQ Pokemon). Therefore making him smart, a.k.a. Einstein!

Slaking - Tina
    - This is based off of from the movie Napoleon Dynamite, from the llama, Tina. Napoleon refers to her as "Tina ya' fat lard!" That inspired me to nickname my female Slaking, Tina!

Salamence - Gumdrop
    - I don't really know how I came up with this nickname for my Salamence. It was a female, so I decided to use something with it's jaws. So, I was going to give it the name of Gingi (refering to Gingivitis), but instead, I used something a little more feminine, Gumdrop, which goes back to the candy.

Azumarill - Playmaker
    - Well, this is a nickname for my good ol' pal Azumarill. Azumarill has helped me out so many times on random wi-fi Pokemon Battle Revolution matches with the nickname (Lou, refering to the phrase 'Skip To My Lou'). Then, I got fed up having a female Azumarill having a boy's name. So, since it has helped me out so much, it developed the nickname Playmaker, meaning it makes big plays, when I'm in a tight bind!

And those are all my nicknames on my Competitive Double Battling Pokemon, and how I came up with them!

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Porygon-Z: Epilepsy (I shouldn't have to explain this one.)

The epilepsy you'd sustain from a Porygon-Z would be far worse.. isn't it supposed to be a rather unstable upgrade of Porygon? XD

As for me, I've only started naming Pokemon on my Sapphire Playthrough, recently. I've currently Flayre the Torchic, ZiZi the Zigzagoon and Poochi the Poochyena. In naming, I've not really bothered thinking of a real word to situate them with.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • I'm particularly proud of WTF names that I've come up with, including:

Kimba the Shinx
    When I first saw Shinx's silhouette, I immediately thought of the Jungle Emperor ads. You know, with Simba Kimba the white lion. Only it was often pronounced, "KIMBA the WHITE LION," as if it was really important for you to realize this was a white freaking lion. Ergo, I made plenty o' jokes about Pokemon and Kimba and was heavily disappointed when good ol' Kimba turned out to be blue.

...Until I realized "KIMBA the BLUE LION" works too.

Wes the Lopunny
    Wes would be one of the default names for the main character of Pokemon Colosseum (and the one everyone knows him by). So, think about it. Wes. An ex-con. As a fluffy bunny.

And to top it all off, he has Cute Charm. I totally did not plan this.

Celio the Cradily
    Any attempt to explain this one will involve multiple references to what Celio, the programmer of One Island in FrLg, wishes he could do with Bill. Many of these references are not suitable for younger audiences. Ergo, let's just leave it at the fact that I named my Cradily after Celio.

Other decent names that I actually was seriously trying to come up with:

Tiamat the Salamence (named after a dragon/primordial goddess of chaos in Babylonian mythology)
    Shiva the Medicham (Hindu death goddess)
    Marla the Empoleon (for "marine")
    Bill the male Gardevoir (favorite Pokemon + favorite character)
    Thursday the Raichu (Thursday = Thor's Day, Thor = Norse god of thunder)
    Kasumi the Blastoise (for Misty)
    Mina the Crobat (for Mina Harker, a main character in Dracula)

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I nickname almost all the pokes I plan on keeping, my favorite is McShockers the Electivire :3

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
  • Generation II was the only time I really loved Nicknaming pokemon.

Shenron - Dragonite (The eternal dragon from DBZ, I dislike DBZ these days, however I still love that name)

Rainer
    - Blastoise (Cool, and Suiting in my Opinion)

Zeke - Arcanine (I was watching Zoids at the time, when I bred it I think)

Jet Sparrow - Pigeot (haha no Idea why, I thought it was hilarious though)

Shadow - Umbreon (pretty typical, but it gained sentimental value over time)

Raven - Shiny Charizard (It suited my beloved Black dragon)

Man I miss that party...

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • BeachBoy's Pokémon Nicknames

BeachBoy's Pokémon Nicknames

Some standard, some exotic, some complete spur of the moment nicknames given to my Pocket Monsters.

I'll update more and more once I find my DS, I have it somewhere, but these are my main nicknames I know by heart.

Salamence
    Pokemon Nickname Thread
    Hurricane

People wonder why I gave such a nickname to a female Salamence, and the reasons are quite simple. Mother nature, using the sheer force of weather. Sometimes in the form of catastrophic hurricanes that shred the shoreline with raw power and unpredictability. In competitive play terms; The unpredictability of a hurricane goes with Salamence's versatility. The shoreline are like the front lines of the opponent, which are intimidated (the evacuating civilians). Salamence usually being a lead hitting them first with it's great power (choice specs & band). And female because mother nature is a female. XD So, really, it's the perfect nickname for such an incredible Pokémon.

Garchomp
    Pokemon Nickname Thread
    Jetstream

When I first looked at Garchomp, I thought of speed, speed makes me think of "Run like the wind!" So, took the fast flowing air currents and gave the nickname to Garchomp. It fits pretty well, seeing as Garchomp hits hard and fast sweeping teams like they've been swept away by a current. Also, it seems I always involve weather with my nicknames, I guess it's because they fit so well.

Skarmor
    y
    Pokemon Nickname Thread
    Clearsky

A funny name for a Skarmory, don't you think? Keen eye made me think of the clear forecast for the weather. XD And roar/whirlwind is usually used to see "daylight" in battle, or looking for a favorable position in other words. It seems odd, but actually, it kinda does fit well. =D I like it really.

Tyranitar
    Pokemon Nickname Thread
    Erosion

Pretty standard nickname seeing as the constant sand stream erodes the opposing team. ;D

Wailord
    Pokemon Nickname Thread
    Greatblue

Wailord to me defines the ocean with this nickname, great as in vast and the deep blue sea. This and that, boom, have a nice nickname.

(And yes, another random, way too much effort, post.) =D

Milnivri

Telefan ;)
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Haha a few years back I had this craze about nicknames so I nicknamed the Pokemon in my main party (mixed up, apparently, it's across several games)

Pidgeot - Peregrine (you know, Peregrine is the fastest bird I think)
    Quagsire - Quackers (Crackers xD)
    Magmar - Maggi (in Singapore there's this Maggi Mee instant noodles, quite famous)

I can't remember the rest...

Anyway the second time I got the craze I gave them non-uppercase nicknames (only first letter capital) and putting it only the first (or first two) syllable(s).
    E.g. Treecko - Tree
    Beldum - Beld
    Rayquaza - Rayquaz

Pointless, really...

Darkhaven3

Jackass
    Years
  • Lucario: Snake
    Linoone: Jaydin
    Ninetales: Fate
    Charmander: Fear
    Pikachu: Bolt
    Bulbasaur: Pestilence
    Unown: Zero
    Ratatta: Death
    Pidgey: Spear

Raiph

I Wish I Had A Wing...
    Years
  • Lucario: Xann

Luxray: Kuja

Rayquaza: Bloodraven

Darkrai: Grim

Tyranitar: Mephisto

Lugia: Raiph

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I nickname all of my pokemon,and each is different,but i don't do Legends or Events.

Here are some in my diamond vers.

Piplup Guino
    Starly Pete
    Bidoof Munchi

Pearl

Empoleon Prince
    Misdrevus Malice

you get the point.

Victoria~

surrender to my s o c k s~
    Years
  • Killer, the Delcatty
    Well, by the time I caught it (lv. 2) I had a mudkip lv. 8. Killer survived to my mudkip's tackle and I thought "She deserves to be mine è.e". The beginning was DIFFICULT, but what some proteins and irons can't do? :3

Bellemère, the Gastly/Haunter.
    I wrote a pokémon fanfic about a serial killer called Bellemère that had a Haunter.

Tixa, the Charizard.
    Really macho name as you can see. Charmander is kind a small lizard, right? Well, in portuguese, "gecko" is "lagartixa". So I called Tixa xBB

Will, the Umbreon
    I totally love umbreons, so I tried to find a nice, cool name to put in mine.

Tony, the Feraligatr
    When I lived in an apartment, I had a neighbour called Tony. He had the such big teeth that looked like a crocodile. Also, he always had big, black bags uner his eyes. @@ When I chose Totodile as my starter and looked at it's face, I saw Tony.

Margarida, the Scizor
    In portuguese, Margarida is pretty much the same name as Daisy. And I have no idea why, but when I saw that lvl. 11 scyther, I knew: it should be called Margarida. Maybe it's destiny, who knows.

RollingPin, the Dragonite
    When I was a little kid and saw an Dragonite on pokémon's anime, I thought "ZOMG, if Dragonite fall over something, it'll smash it like a Rolling Pin! @@". So, when I caught my Dratini I remembered my happyhappy childhood and called it RollingPin, knowing that eventually it would become a Dragonite.

Mufasa, the Luxray
    Luxray really looks like a lion, doesn't it? So I called it Mufasa, as a tribute to "The Lion King".

Geleca, the Ditto
    "Geleca" is in portuguese a popular name for a jelly thing. And Ditto pretty much looks like a jelly thing @@"

Marilda, the Gyarados
    My grandmother's name is Marilda. When I caught the Gyarados, I looked at it's face and my grandmother came to mind xB

TinkerJet, the Blastoise
    I knew that my Squirtle would become a Blastoise, so I thought that I should call it Jet. But I knew that SOMETHING was missing, but didn't know what. Right at the moment, my little sister came to me and said "Look, I'm Tinkerbell! Plim!". So I mixed the two names and got TinkerJet.

Last edited:

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I give all of my Pokemon their orginal names (meaning their Japanese names) as their nicknames or I make the Japanese nicknames into nicknames

ex: Bulbasuar: Fushigidane, I'll usually name it Fushigi

:t354:TG

1stGenNut

1st Gen Fanatic
    Years
  • From what I can remember:

In Sapphire:
    Combusken(fem) : Inferno
    Linoone(fem): Ziggy - simply because..it was simple and effective when it was a babby XD
    Trapinch(male): Atlas
    Manectric(male): Spartan - it looks proud, stands tall, like a Spartan warrior XD
    Gyarados(fem): Tempest - very fitting for something so dangerous :D
    Aron(fem): Battleaxe

This team is currently in training, my final team will eventually be Blaziken, Flygon, Gyarados, Manectric, Aggron, Absol.

Absol will be replacing Linoone, and will be a male, and will be called Oblivion. If anyone recognise the nicknames given, they're the current UK Gladiator names :)

Diamond team:
    Empoleon(fem): Drace - Proud Pokemon. Drace is a strong girl too :3
    Staraptor(male): Ghis - STARAPTOR HAS SOME SORT OF GHIS HAIR D:
    Luxray(male): Gabranth - Strong and defiant <3
    Leafeon(male): Zargabaath - Leafeon seems so peaceful, and Z was kinda like that too o.o
    Gengar(male): Bergan - seems such a fitting name. Both are sinister XD
    Rapidash(male): Basch :3

TT_TT Yus, I <3 FFXII~

Back