• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Origins

Years
  • What do you think of the name origins of a Pokemon!

If you look at every Pokemon's Bulbapedia page, you'll discover what creatures/objects it is based on and also the origin of its name in Japanese, English, German, French, Korean and Mandarin Chinese.

Have you discovered any unusual origins about your fave Pokemon?

A lot of creative names I found - such as Gothitelle coming from "goth", "madmoiselle" and "tell". Cool name, huh?

Or Oshawott coming from "ocean", "water", "wash", "sea" and "otter". Awesome isn't it?

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
  • This thread makes me remember the day my dad pointed out that Ekans = snake backwards, and Arbok = kobra (phonetic spelling of 'cobra') backwards.

My mind =was= blown.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I always loved Gorebyss.
    A Pipefish that feeds off of meat that is known to murder other sea creatures.
    Gore -> Abyss -> Gorgeous -> Abysmal = Gorebyss.

Back