• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    Yey I'm glad to see you aren't dead :D ... or maybe I haven't been watching the thread close enough. Lamos City looks fantastic, and as always, I really like your Graphics for the Battle System.

-> Insert overused 'keep it up' comment here <-

GAK

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    The game is progressing in a really cool way neo. keep it up

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    IMPORTANT!

I would like to announce, that after about a month of debating with myself, I've decided to revamp Protectors. The reason behind this is I want to simply make Protectors even better. I remember posting before saying how much I enjoyed playing Protectors, with all the systems starting to click together. But I want to refine some stuff and really get into the design of the game as a whole. I've been in college doing game development now since the start of September and already I want to put what I've learned so far into Protectors.

Now, features won't change per say- but the code work behind them will be revamped- or more refined then anything at least.

At this point, everything is up in the air. I plan on doing a lot of post-production - even more then what I had done at the start of the project back in 2006. So this way, goals will all be outlined and hopefully- with what I know as opposed to back in 2006- I'll have a more streamlined process of the gaming making in general right from the start.

So I want some input of how you would like Protectors. From the graphic style, like tilesets (keep the same? Use Kyledoves DP? FR/LG stuff? Other?), character sets (use D/P? Or FR/LG) - to how you want the story to go (The same? more traditional? More fantasy or fairytale?) anything!
    Please write back and tell me as soon as you can.
    I really need your input.
    You will be credited if I use what you suggest even.
    Thanks.

*Or PM me if you wish.

Last edited:

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
    hmm I would love to see some kyledove tilesets in your game but thats just me. :D

Like everyone else? D:

It's good to hear that you're still working on Protectors and that you want to revamp it ^^ I personally think that your current graphic style is fine the way it is, considering Kyledove is becoming the usual. I think the story is quite good as well.... I'm not sure what you should change, but I wish you the best of luck with it :3

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Yeah I like it there way it is now too. I mostly want to revise the code work mainly. I'm keeping a back-up of the game the way it is now incase I want to go back to the way it is. Because, nothing is wrong with it. Again- I mainly want to tighten up the code.
    Anyone got any links of how the code works in the official games? Like how the battle system works stuff out and puts all the commands together? I had a look around in the rom hacking section from some help here.
    Anybody even got a text version of the script in the RMXP starterkit? I just want to see how that went about coding the battle stuff.
    Could someone PM me this stuff?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Well you should probably ask Poccil about script stuff...

But I wouldn't change a thing about this project, it's simply amazing, and nothing could possibly make it worse. Just concentrate on making what you already have rock solid.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Revamp Part 1: Main menu
    I introduce a new way to play and interact with Pokemon Protectors. *note- screenshots on my new test map*

Mouse Control
    This is a really exciting thing for me, after seeing this, I knew I had to add it into Protectors.
    After finding a patch online to allow mouse support in RPG MAKER 2003, I just knew I had to add it into my game, and have DS-touch like controls for the game.
    It took me around 2 days to get to grips with. Like, in order to have the pic of the mouse cursor moving, I couldn't pause the code of the game- which made little bugs like the player could move around in menus. So this kinda wrecked my brain, but after solving it (with a move event command, and making the player "wait") - I had to figure out how to make this work right.

Well, as I said, after two days of fixing and coding it, it now works and I'm ready to show it off.
    Pokemon Protectors

Mouse control works just like you expect it to.
    Moving your mouse will move the cursor on screen to where it should be. Left clicking is like a decision key.
    Here are 2 more screenshots:
    Pokemon Protectors
    Pokemon Protectors

- - - -
    So there you have first part of the revamp. The new menu.
    Let me go into detail for the fans on the difference of the old one.

-So you will notice that the time system is no longer displayed on the main menu. This is just to reduce any lag (since the mouse cursor is a pic, and the always refreshing). The time worked fine in testing it, but I have a "modern" computer- with new-ish specs, so for people with slower PCs, I took it off. The time system is still in the game, and will be displayed elsewhere.

-"Pokedex" and "Pokemon Options are now there. That explains itself.

-The Quick Pokemon Bar (QPB) is gone. Yup, this one is gone from the main menu. This was to get rid of clutter. Since the new menu has choices for "Pokemon" - which will bring up that menu screen, I decided to get rid of the QPB.
    - - - -

So remember, this is only part one of the update. Which focused on the main menu. But I really can't wait to show you what else I'm doing with this mouse control.
    Just wait awhile until everything is sorted.
    Remember, this is Protectors, where you will find the coolest features (like conscious choice) - so I have some nice stuff up my sleeve to code for this mouse support.

I would leave to read any comments people have, so please post them.
    Again, I always read my PMs, so if you feel you want to ask me something in private (want help even?) - PM me. :)

Cheers!

Patjuh09

Total Drama Island Redux!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    Wow!
    When i saw that there finally was an update i really didn't except this!
    It is so amazing, and i must be honest, the menu looks better and easier to see.
    And also, i can't wait to see more of the mouse and other new and upgraded things.

Atomic Reactor

now i see why you wanted mer to check the update out D
    it looks pretty sweet man!
    i can jsut imagine what youll be doing with this now XD

email me that info, i figured i would have had it by the time i got home -_-
    lol.

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    i like it - but what i would do is for people who have the newish computers, to put it in the options if they want the clock or the quick bar thing. that way, if people want it, they can have it

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    So you cut stuff out... *shocked*

Anyways the new mouse support stuff looks awesome man, I can't wait to try it out for myself.!

GAK

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2009
    Super awesome work neo! It is so changing. cool! can't wait for another update!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back