• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebornosliw

Learning
Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Wait a minute, did you delete the Sp. Atk. and Sp. Def. stats? If so, that will really make the battle system a lot more shallow in a way...
    Regardless, nice work.

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    Long time no post,
    cant wait to see the menu (it was already cool before... must be better now)
    i think i see something that im not sure if it is a pokeball, a corphish or a corsola, below something else weird in the top left corner

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Hey guys. Sorry for the lack of updates.
    I have been really busy lately and I have not had time to work on Protectors as much as I would of liked.
    I have been working on it.
    The menu reveal still isn't ready just yet. I have some neat concepts and ways to control things that I just am not ready to showcase yet to the public.
    But I do have some updated images for the battle system to help you get your eye candy fill.

Pokemon Protectors

Pokemon Protectors
    Pokemon Protectors

HP background images are still Atomic Reactors design I should point out

I went for a very simple look to the buttons which I think looks well. They also happen to be like the controls for HG/SS which is pretty funny and neat for me (considering I done these a few days ago- ps. the video of the demo is where I saw the battle controls today if anyone was wondering).

I aim to be consistent to all my menus through out the whole game- so features and menus don't feel tacked on. That is one of the goals of the revamp, so it's a hint as to how the neu menu will look (maybe in terms of colors, or style or both).
    Feedback

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    They look good. Since you're dividing it up like that, might i suggest something?

If people want this (like, you can turn it on or off), then depending on the situation in the field, by hitting "bag" it will automatically send you to one of the menus. Like, if your pokemon is low on health, then it will auto-send you to the HP bag, if the opponent's is low on health (for wild only) it will send you to the pokeball menu, etc.

Just a thought, because you're working on the menu systems now :P

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments.
    Nice to read guys. Keep them coming.
    Remember, when giving feedback, it's not just the bad things I want to read about. Tell me what you like about it as well as when you tell me what you don't like so I can bring over the element into each aspect of the design.
    @scienceboy- a feature like this will be put into the game. I will let you know when I code it, but as I've said in the past- I consider all fan requests for features and other bits, so please tell me them.

Anyways, here is an updated version of the battle bag menus.

Pokemon Protectors

From what I said earlier, could this be an even bigger hint as to the look and style of the new main menu- maybe :P

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    i like the menu, simple, easy to navigate and and it looks nice as well...

...now, i would say this is a pretty hard request, but this is something I always though a pokemon game should have, and you are that kind of developer which is always open to doing small fan request which add up to a great game, so anyways,
    i was thinking, you know how all handhelp pokemon games have always a console beside the hero's tv? So, my idea is to have that console (which could be even a PC or laptop in this case) actually be used for various purposes. So basically you would position your character in front of it, turn it on, and a variety of options would appear, such as playing a mini game, seeing the credits of the game, receiving mail from other in game characters, and as you play you would unlock more things to do in that. there was also a device you could access from the menu, the pokecyber, maybe these features could be part of that device, but still i would like somthing else to be said when you "speak" with your wii beside "It is a Wii! It is controlled by a WiiRemote!"
    If you do implement this idea, i could sprite that for you (the minigame, the mail system...)

(woah, huge text up there)

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    Well, ok then. One thing i'm not liking about the menus is how the colors fade. its dark on the bottom, then there is a line of lighter shade, and then its the lighter color. i'm fine with something like that in principle, but it just doesn't look smooth in these menus. It looks choppy. Now, I don't know if its possible to fix in RM2k/3, but thats what i think.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
  • Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm going to do something interesting with the PC and PokeCyber interfaces (part of the revamp) so I can't go into too much detail (simply because it is not coded and I hate talking about concepts and not actual hard coded features). I'm sure you'll be happy with what is planned to happen dude.

As for the images, anything is possible with them. Any look so to speak. But the think lines have been designed like that.
    Part inspired by the thick lines in media of HeartGold/SoulSilver and part by my philosophy of keep things simple.
    Let's be frank, Protectors has some god damn complex features. The whole idea of levels not being there, but your Pokémon's stats being calculated and a Star Ranking given. The ability to choose what stats to grow. Gambling attacks to double or half the power/effect. The choices that can be made, jobs taken, classes taken.
    So my job as a game developer would be design a UI and gameplay situations that are simple for players to understand. and help them get to grips with the features of the game. It will be like playing a new game with Pokémon graphics.
    I've said right from the start that I want this game to be simple, but require skill to get the most out of. That is a hard task and I can't please everyone. Even this mysterious new menu will be pretty different and will seem complex, but using it is really natural and will be easy to get to grips with. It also makes things easier to navigate and what not- but I know I won't please everyone with the design because the look and feel is different and there is a reason why GameFreak aint changing the Pokémon gameplay haha.

Thanks for the feedback, again. I can't say that with any more meaning lol. Cheers.

And remember dudes....
    All suggestions- and I mean all suggestions are taken on board so please tell me good points as well as the bad so I can use what you like elsewhere and see what I can do with the bad things to improve.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Looking awesome as always Neo, i really do need to start coming into the Game Dev section more often to keep up to date with this.

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
    Years
  • Now those screens look very nice. Question. Is that pointing hand on the side for switching from Mouse to Keypad or something to that effect?

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    No, its a reminder that you use your mouse (unless he's changed it from the last time he said that)

Atomic Reactor

Do you plan on keeping my HP Bars? Or are you gonna make new ones.
    Cause if you are, I could make them for you =/
    Sorry i havnt done any sprites for you lately, ive been busy with real life stuff :(

Do you plan on showing gender during battles? Cause i didnt see it.
    How come the bag opens up on the battle screen? Why not where the other selection stuff is? (below it lol)

Keep up the rad work.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
    Years
  • Whoa~! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I'm not on my PC ; o;

It looks fantastic, Neo~! You've particularly sparked my interest in what you have in store for the new menu o.o I always love spiffy and complex features XD

Now as for the update showing off the graphics; They're good, and I like the idea of you using the thick lines that have been implemented in HG/SS, however some of the color coordinating is a bit contradictory o.o The graphics themselves are good, however some of the colors are a bit distracting, and the icon images and or font clash with them. Perhaps toning down the colors or making something more eye appealing? I'm mainly talking about the Pink Battle icon on the orange button, that's a bit hard to see, and the teal buttons for HP Restore Items are a bit bright. Perhaps tone it down to a darker or more mellow tone of teal? Only my opinion~ XD

Anywho, again, everything looks great~ Protectors is definitely a revolutionized version of Pokemon, and you're right! Making something that requires skill and thought process but still simple enough to understand is a difficult task to complete, but I'm pretty sure you're pulling it off perfectly :3 Seriously man, keep it up!

*flails arms waiting for menu update*

Mew Ichigo

Akatsuki Fan
    Years
  • Looks awesome, cant wait till its out!
    I will promote it for you when it is, so your hard work it not soiled!

hamguy4456

Heracross fanatic
    Years
  • Ahhh this looks amazing! I do agree with vampire://krimm about the color of the HP restore section though, its kinda hard on the eyes. But still, wow i can't wait for this :D

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2010
    I cant wait to see the menu's;
    meanwhile i have some sugestions:
    1. radio or "mp3 player" on pokecyber (you could do it like HG/SS or not, but anyways, you could include songs from protectors but also a few from other pokemon games, and even have a few non pokemon related (zelda, mario...)
    2. Small animations on the menu: for example in the battle bag menu, the poke ball icon would be closed and would open when scrolled over, the battle items would get big and small when you scroll over it... etc... (its hard to see if you included such a thing on the screenshots, but it is something that a little animation would be nice)
    PS: nice dragonite tatoo

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back