• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
A suggestion for the next version is making a metadata/townmap addition to the generator, that way we can know which map relates to what location on the generated map. as well as possible an option to include dungeons and how many routes there can be, just like cities

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 17
  • Seen Nov 8, 2020
This is an awesome thing! Here are a few suggestions that would be interesting:

* Being able to customize the town locations and routes (I know you can manually do this in RPG Maker, but that will still be cool! Ex: Moving a Town to another spot you'd like to place it)
* Being able to customize what biome/habitat/type the towns/routes have (Ex: Selecting an area of the map and listing a type of Biome (Beach, Water, Jungle, Forest, Desert, etc.))
* Being able to customize the number of Gyms and Labeling a Town if they have a Gym or not.

I hope these suggestions help you! :D

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
Whenever I try to run this is posts an error saying "Could not find main class. Program will exit." Anyone know how to fix this? This tool looks like exactly what I want to try running a solo game of PTU if I can get it to work.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
Download the file from here, extract into a folder, double click the Executable Jar File titled "CartographerAlpha1.1". It happens with the previous version too, I checked that. I thought it might be that I needed to download Ruby, but that didn't fix it.

Years
Hi wildsinger,

Based on what I could find, you probably need to update your Java version - can you try updating to the latest Java version and see if it works then?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
Is there a way to get the results as either image files or Tiled files? If not, can I get a clear explanation of how to use it as intended? I know nothing about Ruby or the gems or RPGmaker.

Years
My code does not output the maps to PNG (with the exception of the Town Map) or Tiled formats - only YAML, which can then be brought in to RMXP using the instructions in the ReadMe file.

Once you get the maps into RMXP, though, you can either take screenshots of the maps or use a different utility to export them from there into the files you need for your purposes. I can't really help with that part, but I can assist with getting them into RMXP.

Have you had a chance to look at the ReadMe file in the .zip? It should have all the info you need to get the maps imported into RMXP, but feel free to ask specific questions if you get stuck. You don't have to know much about Ruby etc, as long as you follow the instructions.

I will say I definitely acknowledge that the setup steps are pretty annoying, and I'm working on trying to reduce some of them to be more convenient in the next version.

Edit: As of version 1.2.2 onwards, there is now a button which will export the whole map to a PNG file.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 24, 2020
I had to read it a few times to decipher it. Maybe that's how things normally are set up when telling people to work with command prompts and/or Ruby, but I had trouble with it. Once I finally figured out what it was telling me to do it worked. Thanks for making this and helping get me through it.

Years
Alpha version 1.2 is now available! See the main post for the changelog.

Took this long because I spent way too long working on the "Biome Data" tab as I was originally going to have it be editable within the program, but it wasn't really worth it and wouldn't save you much time editing data anyways. So it will stay as view-only and the edits can be done in the new text file.

I tried to ease the setup pains a little bit, and added the metadata and townmap data as well as a new biome (although no new textures are used). Hope you guys like it.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
not sure where this falls, but it's worth reporting. when using the tool, if you have a modified PBS the program refuses to open. kinda sucks for those who use fakemon or even anything above gen 5

Years
Hey Pokeminer,

So in *theory* it should work with additional Pokemon etc, but I did not do a lot of testing with custom pokemon or heavily modified PBS (I think the pokemon.txt I was using went up through gen VI). There are probably going to be some issues I didn't run into.

I also haven't added very much error reporting for such situations right now, but if you run the program from the command line it will at least tell you the crash dump which would help me to find where the problem lies.

I believe the only PBS it tries to read upon opening right now are abilities.txt, types.txt, moves.txt, and pokemon.txt. So whatever it's angry about would be in one of those files, most likely.

If you want you can PM me and I can look at running it with your PBS to work on fixing it, or you can just send the error, whatever you prefer!

To run a .jar from the command line, you can use:

java -jar <jar-file-name>.jar

You will need the full path, e.g. 'C:\Users\Unbayleefable\Pokemon-Essentials\CartographerAlpha1.2.jar' or wherever yours is located.

Edit: The current version at the time of writing (1.2.4) is generally better about reading the PBS files without crashing/hanging/etc. Also as of version 1.2.1 onwards, errors and other information is now logged to a log.txt file in the CartographerOutput folder, so it is no longer necessary to run the program from the command line to get the error information.

Last edited:

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
I have gone ahead and ran the program through command. It's spitting out this error message:
unknown.png

on the PBS side of things, I've added everything up to gen 8, with the only modification is the Legendary Breeding script made by Lucidious89. here's a download link to the PBS Files I have.

Years
I see the problem...

Essentials defines the following XP growth rates for Pokemon species:

Fast
Medium or MediumFast
Slow
Parabolic or MediumSlow
Erratic
Fluctuating

Within my program I'm not checking for the alternate names for Medium and Parabolic. So "MediumFast" and "MediumSlow" are not being recognized. If you want a quick fix, you can replace all the "MediumFast" with "Medium" and "MediumSlow" with "Parabolic" which should not alter the actual values used, but will let Cartographer read it. I will definitely fix it so that it can read both going forward, though - thanks for sharing!

Edit: This issue is fixed in version 1.2.1 & onwards.

Last edited:

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
that fix did indeed solve that problem, but now a new one emerges. it doesn't recognise Pangoro's Evo Method and crashes as well.
unknown.png

it's the only mon who uses that method, so other new evo methods might also cause crashes. I'm thankful it doesn't check breeding types right now, else it'd be erroring out around the three birds cause of Legendary Breeding

Years
I see.

Realistically, I think I should just change it to skip a lot of that information since it isn't really needed for anything the program currently does (although it could be later). I apologize for the brittleness of that part of the code :C

If you don't really want the generated encounter data and just want maps, your best bet for now is probably to move your custom pokemon.txt elsewhere, and drop in a vanilla Essentials pokemon.txt so that the program can run and generate the maps. Then you can replace your own pokemon.txt afterwards, and just not use the generated encounter data.

I'll have to really spend some time improving the robustness of the parsing to account for unexpected input.

Thank you for giving it a try! This is valuable feedback if nothing else.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
Years
SInce I plan to use this tool to make a crazy project, it's acceptable. anything to push this tool to it's perfect limit! it's also worth reporting that since the update, the generator seems to have trouble with some seeds and their city limits (Note: I leave the Seed field blank all the time). I tried creating a 20 city region and it could only gen 19 of them. and this was without a seed so yea. the old version worked perfectly in that regard since the Better Region Map script could compensate for the higher region size, though converting it to my personal style was twice as hard :P

Back