• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I'm getting an error, and I'm guessing it's an incompatibility with EBS:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Hi,

That error is actually from rvpacker, not Cartographer. It doesn't know how to pack/unpack PkmnAnimations.rxdata, but that's totally fine because there's nothing in that file that gets modified by Cartographer. You can ignore that error.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2024
    Hey TheLuiz,
    thanks, i'll try that.
    will the next version also have gen 4 tilesets? Your idea would be a life saver if it had option to chose between gen 3 and gen 4 tileset.
    If you don't have the graphics, i can give you my Gen 4/5 compilations

Years
  • I've given some thought to gen IV graphics but haven't implemented them. The issue is that you pretty much have to hard code the tileset values, so the easiest way to implement it would be if there was a gen IV tileset which corresponded 1:1 with the gen 3 tileset, which may or may not be realistic. Either way it probably won't make it into this next version, but I'm still considering it.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • you could implement a "usable tileset" function, where it reads a tileset, you allow which tilesets can be used, ignored, and so on through an in app editor

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    When attempting to install RVpacker; i'm having the following error:

"Extconf failed, exit code 1
    Gem files will remain installed in (folder) for inspection."

It told me about a mkmf.log file to check for details and this is what i got from that, sadly that isn't really telling me much that i understand;

"x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc -o conftest.exe -IC:/Ruby27-x64/include/ruby-2.7.0/x64-mingw32 -IC:/Ruby27-x64/include/ruby-2.7.0/ruby/backward -IC:/Ruby27-x64/include/ruby-2.7.0 -I. -D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 -DFD_SETSIZE=2048 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0600 -D__MINGW_USE_VC2005_COMPAT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -fno-fast-math -fstack-protector-strong conftest.c -L. -LC:/Ruby27-x64/lib -L. -pipe -s -fstack-protector-strong -lx64-msvcrt-ruby270 -lshell32 -lws2_32 -liphlpapi -limagehlp -lshlwapi "
    checked program was:
    /* begin */
    1: #include "ruby.h"
    2:
    3: #include <winsock2.h>
    4: #include <windows.h>
    5: int main(int argc, char **argv)
    6: {
    7: return !!argv[argc];
    8: }
    /* end */

Any help?

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Yes, Ruby is installed. I followed the readme and everything went fine up until that point.

Years
  • Hi Tali, that's odd, I never ran into that. It seems like it might be a problem with one of the dependencies, but I'm not sure. Also, do you know what version of Ruby you installed?

I think I am on 2.6, although others I've spoken with have had success with 2.7.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    I have Ruby 2.7 installed, maybe looking for the 2.6 version might have things work more as intended.

I suppose i'll try a reinstall everything and hope that'll do the trick then.

Years
  • I've released a small update - version 1.2.1. Frankly I have not been working on it a lot lately but did manage to fix a few things and add trainers! I think I may try to release smaller but (hopefully) more frequent updates?

Years
  • Today I did a quick test to output the entire overworld region map into a single .PNG file. The files from this are pretty huge, but here's a couple slightly compressed .jpeg versions I have to share:

https://i.imgur.com/WzZsP3e.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/vLHho50.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/30ShGZf.jpg

I might add it as an permanent option so you have a way to preview the region before needing to do the full process of merging files/packing/unpacking. But it's also just nice to have a more cohesive way to view the region.

Years
  • Well no, but you can technically edit the existing tileset and it will work if you leave everything in the same position within the tileset. Certain things can't be done that way without a code change on my part though, like trees of different dimensions (a lot of gen IV trees tend to overlap the tiles to their right and left, for example)

Years
  • Another small update - v1.2.2

You can now generate a big ol' preview image of the region, and ponds have been added along with a new "POND_SURF" biome to configure spawns for them. There's also a few small miscellaneous fixes & improvements listed in the main post.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • just an fyi, new version doesn't work with V18 of essentials. not a clue how the external tool works but it's something you might wanna look into
    unknown.png
    here's proof. it just doesn't open period, no error, no reason, doesn't even show up on task manager

[Edit]
    of course immediately following this post going up I bring it into V17 and while waiting for a preview of the newly generated region map I notice a "log.txt" file so I see one in the V18 instance. this is what I see when looking into it

Code:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No enum constant EvoMethod.HAPPINESSMOVETYPE
    	at java.lang.Enum.valueOf(Unknown Source)
    	at EvoMethod.valueOf(EvoMethod.java:1)
    	at DataFiles.initData(DataFiles.java:179)
    	at MapWriter$MapWriterPanel.<init>(MapWriter.java:126)
    	at MapWriter.<init>(MapWriter.java:67)
    	at MapWriter.main(MapWriter.java:59)
    I'm going on a limb and will say that V18 renames a few evo methods, which is the cause of the error

Last edited:
    Years
  • Weird. I could have sworn I made it indifferent to unknown evo types - but, I probably didn't test it enough :s

I will probably just hotfix this later today.

Update: I fixed this, it will now show you a message in the log that the Evolution Method wasn't recognized, but it doesn't really affect anything and won't prevent the program from launching or working. I just reuploaded the fixed version to the same 1.2.2 files.

sHJ0DPc.png

Last edited:

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • final issue I'm having, the map preview feature doesn't work on my PC. I look into the log.txt and I'm greeted with this error, and I'm too smooth to fix it
    unknown.png

Years
  • It looks like whatever your default Java max heap memory allocation is set to is not big enough for the huge image to generate. :/ Idk why I didn't think about that. I checked mine and it's set pretty large at 4GB, so I just never ran into it and therefore didn't think about it, lol

You can override the heap memory allocation if you run the program from the command line with the argument -Xmx, for example:

java -Xmx4g -jar CartographerAlpha.1.2.2.jar

Would run it and allow it to use up to 4GB. After testing, I found it failed to generate the PNG if it was set to -Xmx512m but succeeded with -Xmx1g, so it looks like 1 GB might be a good amount to try. I'll at least add something that informs the user about the problem in the future, sorry about that.

Back