• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
Yeah the test maps shouldn't conflict at all, I've done all my testing with them still in place. But I've never seen the maps be all "shuffled" like that. Which makes me think it could be the connection data from 1 output being used with the map data from a different output

Just tried it again, and it seems to be more coherent now. Not sure what happened the first time.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
This is actually a really neat tool, great job. Any chance for open source github or something? Just curious.

Some suggestions or feature ideas:
Along with generating the world map, it could generate some screenshots of the maps it generates. Having to run through the import/export/editor process each time you generate a seed to see if it's something you want to keep gets really tedious.

Map targeting biomes. You could specifically generate just grassland maps or just desert maps for instance.

Map minimum/maximum size, allow for users to customize how big the maps can be.

Years
I don't know anything about ruby have no idea what to download from that site.

You can just download the latest version of Ruby. I think I put instructions on how to install the rvpacker gem, but let me know if you run into issues.

Snooper16

The Bionic Man
Years
So after implementing the maps, I've run into another problem: I can't seem to rename maps with RPGMXP itself or change the town bgm. To change the name properly, I have to export the maps, edit mapinfos.yaml, then import again. As for the music, I'm outta luck. Is there a way to fix this?

Years
So after implementing the maps, I've run into another problem: I can't seem to rename maps with RPGMXP itself or change the town bgm. To change the name properly, I have to export the maps, edit mapinfos.yaml, then import again. As for the music, I'm outta luck. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for letting me know about this - I hadn't tried changing either of those with an exported map, so I didn't know :C

But, I found the issue, it's just a stupid error on my part. Pretty easy to fix - in the mapXXX.yaml files, you'll notice there's 2 sections at the top that are labled "bgm:". This is a mistake; the 2nd one should be "bgs:". It must be throwing off the whole thing, because when I fixed that and reimported a map I was able to edit the name & background music and the changes stuck, whereas they wouldn't before.

I will be sure to fix this in my exporter for the next release!

Edit: The issue with not being able to change background music or map names is fixed in version 1.2 and onwards.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
I'm sorry but I'm a little unclear as to the directions for running the converter.
To unpack, run an admin command prompt, and navigate to 1 level above your RMXP project directory.

Do I use the thing I screenshotted and type that stuff in?
naNetf0.png

-Generator is pretty RAM-hungry (1-2 GB). This is partly because the code is tied up with a lot of extraneous stuff I was working on with my own engine - I will be trying to reduce the footprint in the future.
I'd like to say I'm using a Windows 7 with only 3GB in it. 2 of which are for the OS and a spare 1GB for everything else.
Generating things seems to be perfectly fine even with various other things running in the background. Works pretty fast for me. Maybe 2 - 3 seconds with 16 cities.

Years
I'm sorry but I'm a little unclear as to the directions for running the converter.

Do I use the thing I screenshotted and type that stuff in?

Yep, you're in the right place, that's the command prompt. It looks like you might not have run it as admin (right click - run as admin when launching). Which, you may or may not need to actually run as admin depending on how your computer's permissions are set up. But either way, you just type the commands I put in the readme (obviously using your own folder directories) and press enter to run. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 11, 2024
Thank you. Yeah I didn't bother opening it as an admin to screenshot. Just needed to make sure I was using the right thing. :3
Your program is definitely really useful. Can't wait to see it get better. :3

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 29, 2020
This is so cool, if a bit tricky to set up! There was a bit of an issue though...

After some fiddling around I finally got the maps to show up in my game properly, but all of them were pink! It was defaulting the tileset to something called "Outside - Custom", even after putting in your tilesets.

Switching the tilesets to regular old Outside fixed the issue, but I thought I'd mention it in case it was something that wasn't somehow user error (or even if it was, if you knew how I could avoid said error in the future!)

Either way, this is super cool and I've got to thank you for making it. Switching tilesets is hardly a big ordeal, in any case.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 28, 2020
Ok, so I've been having problems in regards to using the rvpacker in the Ruby program and this certain error kept on popping up and no matter what I searched up, I couldn't find a way to get rid of it.

[DEPRECATION] This gem has been renamed to optimist and will no longer be supported. Please switch to optimist as soon as possible.

Is there any way I can fix this because with this popping up everytime i try to use any of the rvpacker commands, I can't use it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen May 10, 2020
Hey, very nice tools, but i have a problem when i try using rvpacker, i do like it's say in the readme files but i get this error
Spoiler:

if you could help me this would be great, thanks again ! :3

Years
Hey Amora,

The "Outside - Custom" is the slightly modified tileset I created for this tool. Right now I think the only difference between it and the standard "Outside" tileset is the desert sand textures (I eventually wanted to add other things such as snow tiles which aren't in the standard tileset). If you switch it to the regular "Outside" tileset things will still line up, but the desert sand where wild pokemon can spawn will probably be missing. Oh - and also the left/right facing stairs.

Did you do these 2 steps from the readme?

In the Tileset folder, there are 2 files which should be moved into your RMXP project folders:

OutsideCartographer.png should be placed in <your project>\Graphics\Tilesets
Tilesets.rxdata should go in <your project>\Data folder, overwriting the existing file.

Note that the Tilesets.rxdata will overwrite any tilesets you currently have in your project, so it's recommended to be done on a fresh Essentials copy. You can manually add the custom tileset a different way if you prefer (without copying Tilesets.rxdata), but then you'll have to set up all the permissions etc. Also, I put the tileset in slot "025" and the generated maps will reference this, so if you didn't copy in the Tilesets.rxdata and had it manually added in a different spot, that might explain why it was funky.

Just for reference, the tileset sits here in my test project:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
I really am torn about this. One the one hand holy moly! Thats cool, but on the other hand, I'm like RIP level design. But it is good for a starting off point as it gets boring after a while putting in every freaking cliff curve.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 29, 2020
Oh my god, I feel so silly! I was sure I had followed every step, but had apparently put the OutsideCartographer.png in the wrong place and it was throwing everything off!

Thank you so much for helping me out there, that makes so much sense why it was acting funky!

Years
Jaden,

I also get that deprecation warning. It's just telling you that one of the dependencies of rvpacker has changed names - but, it did not prevent it from working for me. Can you show what command(s) you are trying to run?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 28, 2020
Sorry for the late response, btw.
The commands I've been attempting to run are the ones included within the readme and followed the instructions as much as I could but then this kept popping up when I tried to type in any command related to rvpacker.

Attachments

• Error 4.PNG
    Error 4.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 28
Years
Jaden - thanks for the screenshot!

Turns out, the first message about the Deprecation is not your issue. It's actually the last part that's the key:

cannot load such file - scanf

This is also the same problem Mayumi has. I checked and when I wrote these instructions I used Ruby version 2.6. You have Ruby version 2.7, which apparently no longer includes "scanf" by default.

You should be able to fix this by going to the command line and running:

gem install scanf

You will still get the deprecation warning, which is unrelated. You may also get some message about there not being a "scripts.yaml" but that also doesn't matter as far as the maps are concerned.

Let me know if that doesn't work!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 28, 2020
Ok, so something changed but then I got this with the commands still not working.

Attachments

• Error 5.PNG
    Error 5.PNG
    27.1 KB · Views: 25
Years
Hey Jaden,

It thinks the folder name is just "Pokémon" because it treats spaces as an indicator of the next command.

Try this:

rvpacker -a unpack -d 'Pokémon Essentials' -t xp

The quotes around it should make it realize that's the whole folder name.

Last edited:
Back