• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Roleplay Discussion

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    Lol thats pretty good Sacred and Beo! I like zombies a lot. I actually made my own zombie RP, and I had made the title and the sign up to the last detail. The only thing that stopped me from submiting it was that I had no idea what would happen in between T.T

Any suggestions?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    In between what and what? And what's its title? :)

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    Hehe, it's called 'Lullaby for a Dead Man' and I mean what would the people do during the RP. This is the whole plot and SU thing:
    Spoiler:

§acred†Beo!

F.A.T.E.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • PA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2020
    Well in my RP it's going to start out of a group of survivors living in a refuge camp who get recurited to do missions, like find food, other survivors, a new place to set camp etc. But as the RP goes on there going to discover more and more things, as well the darkness covering the earth is going to slowly get into the heads of the RPers and they'll have several choices to make.. All in all the ending is going to be epic since i've had this planned out for a year now :).

As for your RP I don't know you'd have to have your own plot in mind for what the end destination is you'd like to arrive at. You can't just say hey look theres lots of zombies lets kill them lol.. There needs to be an overall plot for why the characters are there and what there aiming for.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2010
    Ok, so if this RP is gonna start soon, can I be in it? I love to RP and my team will be awesome! I'm actully a good RPer, based on my previous writings.

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    I am so participating in yours Sacred/Beo! Sounds really sick and interesting. The one thing about my stories and RPs is that I get a really good idea for a story or something and then have no idea of how to fill it out :(

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I am so participating in yours Sacred/Beo! Sounds really sick and interesting. The one thing about my stories and RPs is that I get a really good idea for a story or something and then have no idea of how to fill it out :(

A good way for fics is to let the story be built up on the characters. Interesting characters makes for an interesting story.

For RPs though... I guess maybe if you cannot come up with something "in the middle", then you have to provide the players with solid things to build their own story on, instead of writing up something they don't know is alright or not. Or maybe, if you can't "fill it out", it shouldn't even be an RP.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    I have a fairly extensive knowledge with 'play-by-post' roleplaying, such as the RPs on this forum. Most of this knowledge stems from DnD and Vampire, but I've done a bit of freeform as well.

One thing I've always wanted to do was a pokemon game, so I think I'm in the right place here :).

Anyway, from what I've seen here most of the games are fairly freeform, where the 'gamemaster' plays a regular character in the story as well, instead of overseeing the plot. The game is therefor moved forward by the activeness of the players (well, duh!). This is a double-edged sword.

It has been my experience that a lot of players sign up for a game, only to drop out within the first month of its existance. Play-by-post games require constant updates to keep the players interested and active and as soon as it slows down, the first people start to drop.

Do you guys have any safeguards for this on this forum?

Also, regarding game styles: I like the 'alternative' pokemon stories, where they are set in a real world with real problems, instead of simply repeating the anime. That said, the whole 'starting as a new trainer' sthick is still pretty fun and could promise to be a great game, provided that people make an effort to stray outside the comfort zone of the anime/games.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    It has been my experience that a lot of players sign up for a game, only to drop out within the first month of its existance. Play-by-post games require constant updates to keep the players interested and active and as soon as it slows down, the first people start to drop.

Do you guys have any safeguards for this on this forum?

Yes, that's true, players do drop out remarkably quickly. Are you saying it's because everyone in general becomes less active? Or because the GM begins updating less frequently? If the first, that's an interesting idea. It means we shouldn't look for 'black sheep' - roleplayers with a history of quitting - but do something about the structure of a typical roleplay.

As for safeguards, well, GMs usually post a rule like 'STAY ACTIVE OR I'LL KICK YOU OUT.' That's about it. People do get kicked out, but it doesn't always help. If you have a roleplay with four players, and there's a 2-day interval between posts, it means you have to wait 6 days before it's your turn. That's long enough for a player to lose interest. For me, at least.

Limiting the size of roleplays is the only thing I can think of. The more players, the longer the wait times.

Also, regarding game styles: I like the 'alternative' pokemon stories, where they are set in a real world with real problems, instead of simply repeating the anime. That said, the whole 'starting as a new trainer' sthick is still pretty fun and could promise to be a great game, provided that people make an effort to stray outside the comfort zone of the anime/games.

This is pretty much what I'm waiting for. =D I don't like the anime world - it's far too unrealistic. The real world is nice and gritty.

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    Indeed, the greater the size of the party, the higher the chance of losing players.

The best and longest running games I've played (which lasted for more than 9 months) were with only 4 players, including the gamemaster.

I guess most of this is also in the structuring of the game. If you're only allowed to post once everyone else has had a turn, you will indeed be waiting more often than playing. If however, this restrictio is relaxed a bit the game would go a lot more fluently. You would have to beware players overposting with regards to others though, but I find asking these players on a case by case basis to slow down a bit helps more than simply saying "only post after everyone else has done so".

Something that also helps greatly in keeping the game alive is an active OOC thread. Look at it like this, when you play a game at a table you will spend more time goofing off and hanging with your mates than actually playing. A PbP (play-by-post) game is no different. If you have no connection with the other players it is easy to drop out.
    However, if you hang out with them a bit, chat about various subjects, you get to know each other and feel more of a responsibility to the game.

You don't even have to discuss any personal stuff, simply discussing the game and how you'd like things to move forward could be enough.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Indeed, the greater the size of the party, the higher the chance of losing players.

The best and longest running games I've played (which lasted for more than 9 months) were with only 4 players, including the gamemaster.

I guess most of this is also in the structuring of the game. If you're only allowed to post once everyone else has had a turn, you will indeed be waiting more often than playing. If however, this restrictio is relaxed a bit the game would go a lot more fluently. You would have to beware players overposting with regards to others though, but I find asking these players on a case by case basis to slow down a bit helps more than simply saying "only post after everyone else has done so".

Something that also helps greatly in keeping the game alive is an active OOC thread. Look at it like this, when you play a game at a table you will spend more time goofing off and hanging with your mates than actually playing. A PbP (play-by-post) game is no different. If you have no connection with the other players it is easy to drop out.
    However, if you hang out with them a bit, chat about various subjects, you get to know each other and feel more of a responsibility to the game.

You don't even have to discuss any personal stuff, simply discussing the game and how you'd like things to move forward could be enough.

Sounds like you'll like RPing on PC :) I noticed not all other places for PbP have the so called OOC threads. Dangerous.

If the GM doesn't plan on being active, he shouldn't start an RP at all. Sadly, I think some do.

Also, I haven't been in a non-free play RP. What's the differences? How much can the GM do? Can he 'bunny' the players characters?

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    From the threads I've seen this far, I think I'll enjoy RPing here indeed, cheers Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers (awesome name btw)!

Anyway, as for non-freeform RPs, look at it like this:

If you play a computergame, you are the person controlling he main character. You get to decide where you go, what you do and how you act within the confines set by the game. A structured game is exactly like this.
    The GM basically players the computer, while the players are the main characters. So the GM makes the setting, the plot and controls any NPCs and enemies while the players decribe what they want to do.

Most of these games, such as Dungeons and Dragons, Vampire, even structered pokemon games (some really bad versions exist, though I've never seen an official one) rely on dice rolling and other checks to determine whether your character can do something.

So instead of describing your pokemon attack its enemy and hoping the other player agrees with it being hit. You both roll a couple of dice and determine wether a blow has been landed or not.

The GM cannot 'bunny' or control the player characters. He controls basically everything else.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    From the threads I've seen this far, I think I'll enjoy RPing here indeed, cheers Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers (awesome name btw)!

Anyway, as for non-freeform RPs, look at it like this:

If you play a computergame, you are the person controlling he main character. You get to decide where you go, what you do and how you act within the confines set by the game. A structured game is exactly like this.
    The GM basically players the computer, while the players are the main characters. So the GM makes the setting, the plot and controls any NPCs and enemies while the players decribe what they want to do.

Most of these games, such as Dungeons and Dragons, Vampire, even structered pokemon games (some really bad versions exist, though I've never seen an official one) rely on dice rolling and other checks to determine whether your character can do something.

So instead of describing your pokemon attack its enemy and hoping the other player agrees with it being hit. You both roll a couple of dice and determine wether a blow has been landed or not.

The GM cannot 'bunny' or control the player characters. He controls basically everything else.
    I see. Thank you.

A problem with rolling dices when facing an opponent online is of course to make sure nobody is cheating...

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2014
    That's easily resolved with online dicerollers ;)

Actually, I could see dice rollers, or percentage calculators as pretty useful for games like this. That way you could see if a move like Hypnosis effects a pokemon or not.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    Hello, I've come here to talk about an RP idea I've had. :)

I don't know how many people will have heard about it, but there's a manga called +Anima. The basic gist of it is that sometimes, when people aged below 14 are close to death, they are granted an ability that will allow them to escape with their lives. The ability manifests itself in a marking on that person's body that allows them to transform part of themselves into an animal part. For example, one of the main characters, Nana, was being chansed through a forest by her drunken, wife-beating father who wanted her dead. At the last minute, a bat flew over her head and scared her, but she gained a long, wing-shaped marking down her back and could use bat-wings, could get bat-ears and use sonar, all at her will.

My basic idea was "This would be awesome if instead of animals, it was Pokémon!"

And so the idea of '+Pokéma' was born.

What I really want to know, before I set anything else down, is how much people would be interested in such a roleplay, and if it sounds like it has any potential (seeing as it's basically going to be +Anima but with Pokémon).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

I don't know how many people will have heard about it, but there's a manga called +Anima. The basic gist of it is that sometimes, when people aged below 14 are close to death, they are granted an ability that will allow them to escape with their lives. The ability manifests itself in a marking on that person's body that allows them to transform part of themselves into an animal part. For example, one of the main characters, Nana, was being chansed through a forest by her drunken, wife-beating father who wanted her dead. At the last minute, a bat flew over her head and scared her, but she gained a long, wing-shaped marking down her back and could use bat-wings, could get bat-ears and use sonar, all at her will.

My basic idea was "This would be awesome if instead of animals, it was Pokémon!"

What I really want to know, before I set anything else down, is how much people would be interested in such a roleplay, and if it sounds like it has any potential (seeing as it's basically going to be +Anima but with Pokémon).

Sounds interesting, a bit like superhero powers xD And I love superheroes to death.

Hansa

I got Fusion Legend! Do you?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011

Well, I can't say I'm very familiar with +Anima, but from what you've just told me, this sounds pretty awesome! Also, it makes for a well-needed break from PokéMorphs...

But yes, color me interested if you will xD

Kon~

Years
    Well, I can't say I'm very familiar with +Anima, but from what you've just told me, this sounds pretty awesome! Also, it makes for a well-needed break from PokéMorphs...

But yes, color me interested if you will xD
    Awesore!! :D

Here is what I have so far, for your scrutiny/approval. :D
    Spoiler:

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    I've read +Anima, so I'm definitely interested in this. Just a quick question: will this be in chapter format? (I'm guessing not, though.)

Kon~

Years
    I've read +Anima, so I'm definitely interested in this. Just a quick question: will this be in chapter format? (I'm guessing not, though.)

Ehh... probably not. :3
    There will definitely be a Kanto Chapter and a Johto Chapter, but I'd be a bit iffy about splitting them into further chapters.

Unless I did new town; new chapter, like the manga did. (Did you ever think the town names were a bit strange? Radish, Sandra, Octopus, Lifty... XD )

Back